Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

7 minutes ago, Armagon said:

FB_IMG_1618854490696.jpg?width=413&heigh

True.

LOL

If only Thracia would get a remake that fixed some things, I'd probably enjoy it.

I love the capture mechanic already. Just fix the BS design and give it a glow up.

• Replies 180.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

6 minutes ago, Armagon said:

FB_IMG_1618854490696.jpg?width=413&heigh

True.

I'm currently ranting about Reunion at Dawn in the Sun God's Wrath discord, and seeing this almost sent me on a separate rant over here.

Quit provoking me, please. It works too well and I don't want to write even more bile about Three Houses.

3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I'm currently ranting about Reunion at Dawn in the Sun God's Wrath discord, and seeing this almost sent me on a separate rant over here.

Quit provoking me, please. It works too well and I don't want to write even more bile about Three Houses.

....You know you don't have to bitch about a game being bad in defending another game right?

1 minute ago, Dayni said:

....You know you don't have to bitch about a game being bad in defending another game right?

See, the thing is, I cannot prove that meme wrong, so I must instead deflect the negativity towards something else

14 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Ruben when Three Houses

Screenshot_20210419-145442.png?width=318

I'm with Ruben on this one, as usual.

I'll take T776 over 3H any day. No contest in gameplay at all, and considering the system differences, that isnt saying too much for 3H! Xd

I have yet to play Thracia so not participation for me.

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

You could talk about Thracia instead.

2 minutes ago, Sooks said:

You could talk about Thracia instead.

I mean, Thracia's not exactly my favorite, either. I love capturing, I think its story is pretty good, but the map design's rather stinky. Even the acclaimed Manster arc has maps that require that you walk for way too many turns. And then the lategame arrives and the moderate stinkiness becomes a public bathroom.

1 minute ago, Benice said:

N3pqatd.png

O-okay...

When I first played Dark Souls 3, I had a friend watching and another online playing with me as a multiplayer ghost thingy. They both warned me not to mess with a mimic chest.

I messed with it still. I learned a valuable lesson that day: me is dumb.

Just now, Saint Rubenio said:

When I first played Dark Souls 3, I had a friend watching and another online playing with me as a multiplayer ghost thingy. They both warned me not to mess with a mimic chest.

I messed with it still. I learned a valuable lesson that day: me is dumb.

Feels bad.

Although I predict that I'll die upwards of 1k times over my first playthrough, 'specially since I want to either play a Thief or the meme class....

3 minutes ago, Benice said:

Feels bad.

Although I predict that I'll die upwards of 1k times over my first playthrough, 'specially since I want to either play a Thief or the meme class....

I've considered Dark Souls 1 on multiple occassions, but then my friends would bombard me about how the Prepare To Die edition is so much better, but it's no longer available for sale, but the other one is so much worse, but then I go online and people say it's not so bad, and then other people say it's actually better, but other say it's worse, but then there's this patch that apparently fixes the issues with the PTD edition and then it's the best one...

And well, that overwhelms me every time and I decide not to get the game.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

Just now, twilitfalchion said:

You will learn to become a masochist.

I feel like anyone who wants to play it won't need to learn...

Anyhoo, I'm hoping that it'll go on sale on the switch, but otherwise, full price it is. I've still got another while before I can play it regardless.

3 hours ago, Sooks said:

What reduced the forest to ashes in this case? I’ve never heard of this game. Which, judging by how it did, seems to be commonplace?

Balan Wonderworld was made by one of the creators of Sonic the Hedgehog, Yuji Naka, who left Sega years ago. Square Enix agreed to publish Wonderworld and provided funds and a developer for Naka to work with, Arzest, a thoroughly mediocre developer so I'm told.

Naka decided he would make a 3D platformer, featuring a mischievous-looking titular character with elongated limbs, much like the titular character of Nights Into Dreams, one of his most famed games. And as with Nights and another one of his titles- Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg, he decided the characters, atmosphere, and story would all be child-friendly, akin to a good 3D animation movie.

Now, Naka did nail the opening trailer for the game, and the other cutscenes in the game are good too. But, people, although hopeful it would all work out, were initially a little skeptical of the gameplay from what little was said of it.

Then, one month before the game released, the demo was dropped onto various gaming systems. And what the demo revealed to the great majority of players, was that everything about the gameplay was horrendous. Not just that, but the visuals of the world itself were dirt compared to the cutscenes (more so on the Switch version, which was glitchier too).

Square should have seen the negative feedback Balan Wonderworld was getting and delayed the game for months, but, they didn't. It shipped a month later as is warts and all. 

If there hadn't been that demo, maybe some Naka hopefuls wouldn't have canceled their preorders. And maybe some people would've bought the game day-one, without reading any of the critic reviews that rated it as a 6/10 at best (barring the one sincere 8/10 I saw). The demo raised so many red flags about the game's quality that it sank the game's sales prospects overnight.

Critics can't even recommend the game as pure cinematic spectacle. The narrative has Balan as the only character who actually talks, the player characters are fairly blank slates, whose personal troubles are left unexplained and how helping others through their issues via an adventure in a dreamworld will help the player characters is also left unsaid. Leaving things open to interpretation and imagination is a fine idea, yet the game for many leaves things much too vague. The game might have been made "for children", except real children are going mostly to ignore and forget the dialogue and be living up in their imaginations anyhow, so dialogue and explanation being nonexistent helps no-one IMO.

2 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Take this with a grain of salt? Maybe it needs more...

In questionable interviews that I've seen recently, how about this:

https://www.gematsu.com/2021/04/story-of-seasons-pioneers-of-olive-town-interview-with-director-hikaru-nakano

*Dodgetanks every question*

Just now, Interdimensional Observer said:

Nights Into Dreams,

O-oh...

Nights was supposed to be a good franchise? Eh, maybe the sequel just wasn't any good.

Well, today I learned something new.

1 minute ago, Benice said:

Nights was supposed to be a good franchise? Eh, maybe the sequel just wasn't any good.

The sequel, Nights: Journey of Dreams, is generally considered inferior to the original. Naka and Naoto Oshima, the original game's director, had also left Sega by then as well, they had nothing to do with it. 

It should be added that the original had its own dedicated controller made for it. And the first Nights pushed the technical limits of the Sega Saturn, while the sequel wasn't a processing masterpiece that might not have aged properly in other aspects either. 

As for the Billy Hatcher game I mentioned, it's a quirky game, with a cheery, sunny-side up charm. It's not a great game because it's over-easy, no real story or character interactions, and the controls with rolling giant eggs are a little scrambled. I used to own this game myself.

3 hours ago, Dayni said:

Bah, Stealing from Irish folklore! Typical.

Not quite on the first one, as the realm where time passes far slower that shows up in the Leinster cycle's Tír na nÓg (which has its ties to death and the afterlife), the second has a fair bit more overlap but it's not like it's unique to the NEAtlantic Isles and the idea of these being spun from older common stories would be unsurprising.

It's red and emerald beacons from the night 
Draw human moths in melancholy flight, 
With beams whose gaudy glories point the way 
To safety or destruction--choose who may! 
Crystal and powder, oils or tincture clear, 
Such the dim sight of man beholds, but here 
Await, indisputable in their pow'r, 
Great Presences, abiding each his hour; 
And for a little price rash man attains 
This council of the perils and the pains-- 
This parliament of death, and brotherhood 
Omnipotent for evil and for good. 
Venoms of vision, myrrh of splendid swoons, 
They wait us past the green and scarlet moons. 
Here prisoned rest the tender hands of Peace, 
And there an angel at whose bidding cease 
The clamors of the tortured sense, the strife 
Of nerves confounded in the war of life. 
Within this vial pallid Sleep is caught, 
In that, the sleep eternal. Here are sought 
Such webs as in their agonizing mesh 
Draw back from doom the half-reluctant flesh. 
There beck the traitor joys to him who buys, 
And Death sits panoplied in gorgeous guise. 
The dusts of hell, the dews of heavenly sods, 
Water of Lethe or the wine of gods, 
Purchase who will, but, ere his task begin, Beware the service that you set the djinn! 
Each hath his mercy, each his certain law, 
And each his Lord behind the veil of awe; 
But ponder well the ministry you crave, 
Lest he be final master, you the slave. 
Each hath a price, and each a tribute gives 
To him who turns from life and him who lives. 
If so you win from Pain a swift release, 
His face shall haunt you in the house of Peace; 
If so from Pain you scorn an anodyne, 
Peace shall repay you with a draft divine. 
Tho' toil and time be now by them surpast, 
Exact the recompense they take at last-- 
These genii of the vials, wreaking still 
Their sorceries on human sense and will.

*googles*

11 minutes of gameplay... 11 minutes of nothing?

The opening cutscene looked really ngl, but it was a lot of build up to just “and then plot happens” with no discernible reason, there were so many things that made me go “what is that, why is it here, where even is here?” and the gameplay... was like a platformer, but without the platforming? I mean it was basically just running around while very occasionally jumping. And the visuals took a massive decrease in quality, the running animation is kind of funny and I love how NPCs just disappear when you get near them because by that point collision detection was too much for their budget.

6 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The sequel, Nights: Journey of Dreams, is generally considered inferior to the original

That adds up. Discounting FE, I've only ever played one game I didn't enjoy, and that was Journey of Dreams. I adore terrible games, (Brave: A warrior's tale will always be one of my favorites because of how horrendous it is, I love it) but JoD didn't click very well with me.