• Replies 179.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

Why does the Ponspector Necropolis baddie have Spike and immunity to Topple? 🤨 Maybe I won't tear it to shreds.

Is it a brand new species of XC enemy? Weird they'd use this new draconic yet sorta salamander-y wimpy design for an optional foe for the silly people.

11 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Ah. But wait, does this mean you haven't watched Xenogears' cutscenes then?

Emulating it shouldn't be too hard. Unless you don't have Windows in which case RIP.

Actually, PS1 emulation is perfectly feasible on Mac. OpenEmu covers it. Hence me having played through TearRing Saga twice. PS2 emulation is a whole different monster.

5 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I'll retain my sanity, thanks.

Yeah but you don't need that one.

But you should play that one

Especially with Ao geofront coming out in a few days.

Geofront TL is of a much higher quality.

Edited by Shrimperor

6 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Why does the Ponspector Necropolis baddie have Spike and immunity to Topple? 🤨 Maybe I won't tear it to shreds.

Is it a brand new species of XC enemy? Weird they'd use this new draconic yet sorta salamander-y wimpy design for an optional foe for the silly people.

Wait you already got to the end of the Ponspector quest chain?

If so, yeah, it's pretty tough. It's the strongest enemy in Future Connected (can't say FC here rn because it'll get confused with Trails haha). By a significant amount too so I just Casual Moded my way through.

5 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

But you should play that one

Especially with Ao geofront coming out in a few days.

Geofront TL is of a much higher quality.

Yeah but I don't feel like going through the hassle of modding a PC game.

Edited by Armagon

2 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

..what hassle? Geofront comes with a launcher that does everything for you.

Ah.

In that case, maybe one day.

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

Wait you already got to the end of the Ponspector quest chain?

If so, yeah, it's pretty tough. It's the strongest enemy in Future Connected (can't say FC here rn because it'll get confused with Trails haha). By a significant amount too so I just Casual Moded my way through.

I think I've logged 15 hours into Future Connected over the past... three days? (time still feels subjective to me). Got the mask that lets me head into the villa, haven't done that yet.

Other than the Kromar standing by the UM one (who I still need to kill, insta-death isn't fun), none of the Ponspector stuff was that difficult or lengthy, I expected more effort would've been necessary.

Very minor complaints with Future Connected- Why do the non-Ponspector quests give me very useless money? And who thought to put Attack Stability and Critical Up into Melia's equipment? Auto-attacks for her a total joke.

9 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I think I've logged 15 hours into Future Connected over the past... three days? (time still feels subjective to me). Got the mask that lets me head into the villa, haven't done that yet.

Yeah, you're practically done since Future Connected is very short. I'm just kinda surprised you made this much progress seeing as how you were struggling to get in it at first due to personal reasons.

11 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Very minor complaints with Future Connected- Why do the non-Ponspector quests give me very useless money? 

Well they have to give something. Honestly, with how short Future Connected is, the quest reward are just there because something has to be offered.

50 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Although XS1 has some gruesome parts, like the beginning, god that is horrible your first time playing. Gnosis dealing max damage right to begin, cruelty.

Forgot to comment on this, the reason XS1's beginning is rough isn't because of the Gnosis dealing max damage, it's because it's one of those RPGs where you can't escape without using an item (the Baten Kaitos games also suffer from this) and before you get KOS-MOS, you can't damage the Gnosis so getting into battle with one is just a death sentence.

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Yeah, you're practically done since Future Connected is very short. I'm just kinda surprised you made this much progress seeing as how you were struggling to get in it at first due to personal reasons.

Admittedly, I skipped every single cutscene. And I've left the Quiet Moments untouched. When I am in the proper mindset, I'll approach these. That is how I'll handle it I decided. Shouldn't take too long. Yet I never did get to watching Valkyria Chronicles 4's plot, and it's been years. Maybe for the better, the mad scientist looks like a knockoff Caulder.

Doesn't seem like Future Connected is too... dramatic either. I don't get the impression I'm missing out on anything major. The world was already saved from far worse, it's just some monsters high on anti-chloroform and an interdimensional crack, just something for the sake of a problem and some tensions, a story involving battles kinda needs those basic things. The plot looks more like dessert coffee after a rich dinner, or given Future Connected I remember is supposed to hint at the future of Xenoblade, perhaps I should call it an aperitif. 

And what can I say? I can still find enjoyment despite my weirdness. Xenoblade has enough that I can work around it.* Music, world, combat, quests (though they are still almost original XC1 bad). I had to force myself to play it, but going against your default inclinations is sometimes a good thing in life. Like dieting, overcoming fears, combating addiction or depression.

*As long as this doesn't become a trend with future Xenoblade games. I'll take up Elma's offer to have my brain examined if I continue with this for X2 or C3, or anything else Monolith. It will be terrible in the long run if it happens. 'Saga weirdly shouldn't be a problem I'm thinking right now, because I'd be playing it on a laptop. I still like being adequately immersed when emulating, but the PC is already not the "natural" realm of XS b/c Namco say "If it won't make big bucks, we won't remaster it" there is some immersion-detraction right there.

Agh, couldn't do my daily stuff in Another Eden other than receiving the daily currency. Well, no big loss. Maybe tomorrow I also do Ch8 of VS. Who knows...

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Admittedly, I skipped every single cutscene.

Oh.

Doesn't seem like Future Connected is too... dramatic either. I don't get the impression I'm missing out on anything major.

Yeah, Future Connected is pretty chill. It mainly serves to give Melia some additional closure although the character who benefitted the most was Tyrea.

quests (though they are still almost original XC1 bad).

It could be because there isn't such a drastic number but i actually enjoyed getting all the quests here. One of them is necessary to tie up a loose end from the plot (why this resolution is optional idk) but given that you did skip every cutscene, it probably wouldn't make sense for you to do that quest.

You know, of all characters to get into Heroes, I wasn't expecting Jerrot/Zelot/whatever you wanna call him this time of the year. Replacement Jeigan from FE6 getting into Heroes before the game's actual Jeigan? Sure, why not. I mean, Jerrot's cool, I'm fine with this. And he comes with Juno, who is like... the only unit in all of FE6 that I've never, ever used because she sucks so much at everything that isn't rescue-dropping. Neat.

...Seriously though, ever since I first discovered the existence of Heroes, Marcus's absence has been among the most baffling to me. Marcus is the Jeigan in two FEs, making him one of the characters with the most availability in the entire series. One of his games was also the first to be released in the west and thus holds some sentimental value for a great part of the western fanbase - and he's that game's best unit, to boot.

And yet he's not in Heroes. It's been over 4 years and Marcus is still not in Heroes. Why? I really don't understand why! I'm not claiming he's the most popular character ever or anything, but joining in the first chapter of two games (not counting Lyn mode) you'd think the guy would have enough notoriety to warrant entering Heroes after all this time...

Anyway, just some random musings. Good morning everyone.

I'm sorry for acting like that again yesterday. *sigh*

Regardless... Good morning, everyone!

---

12 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

*Rangda and Grimekhala nightmares.* Nothing like shooting yourself with a machine gun, which is how Multi-Strike when you make a whoopsies! feels.

This speaks to me on all the levels.
This exact scenario happened to me on quite a few occasions, I must admit. Poor Hinako/Daichi (I alternated between these two, but they were my primary Multi-Strikers).

Still, my preferred method for using it was in conjunction with an Evil Flow user, for long-distance nuking of particularly annoyingly placed targets. Alongside Stone+, this proved to be quite deadly for anything not resistant to Curse. Though going with the method of maximizing damage output with Phys Boost/Amp (mostly both, actually) proved even more effective overall. ... Except for the times when enemies just reflected physical attacks.

Holy Dance is just too good, comes a little too early and deals too much damage for how set it & forget it good it is, particularly when paired with Drain or a Divine, Fallen, or Tyrant for practically limitless MP.

Oh yes, definitely! Pair this with Magic Yang, which halves MP usage, and you can practically spam that skill with reckless abandon. Drain in and of itself is very, very strong in this game, particularly off of a character/demon with a high magic stat, but paired with Holy Dance, and a Divine, Tyrant, or Fallen? Hoo boy!
Something else I liked to do with this was use a Deity race demon alongside a Tyrant, so that I could benefit from the Deity's race skill that doubles magic damage, and, in its evolved form, further reduced MP usage.

I wish Ultimate Hit (passive that turns the basic attack command into Almighty damage) and Holy Strike (single-target Str-using command skill that deal Almighty damage) weren't stuck on demons you can't fight/get until after you've beaten the game once. Ultimate Hit + Attack All + Rage Soul (Auto Skill that greatly increases the damage of the basic attack command, but prevents the team from using anything other than the basic attack in battle) would make for a good all-physical team build.

Oh wow! I didn't know this existed! I honestly questioned what the point of Rage Soul is, but I see now that this is it!
This sounds tailor-made for the likes of Jungo and Keita, and definitely something to keep in mind, once I get to New Game Plus.

Today's music post: Ripping your own face off. Epically.

One of the best themes to come out of a video game for me.
It definitely perfectly captures the spirit of "okay, now the enemy is screwed. Royally!" the best out of any of the themes across the series. And possibly across all games.

I still get goosebumps remembering Arsène's quote.
Vow to me. I am thou, thou art I. Thou who art willing to perform all sacrilegous acts for thine own justice! Call upon my name, and release thy rage! Show the strength of thy will to ascertain all on thine own, though thou be chained to Hell itself!

I gotta say, as much as P3's story was overall better, P5 still wins as my favorite Persona game. The gameplay, the music, the dungeons... it's just an overall great game! Also, Persona 3 has rap in it. That alone disqualifies it from being my favorite in the music department.

Edited by DragonFlames

11 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Mario Golf: The Switch's masterpiece.

giphy.gif

So, I've not really mentioned that I have an idea or two in drawing board phase (So very much underdeveloped). In said thing I realised I accidentally named a character a backwards spelling of a word. And not a language I didn't ever hear about, just English. And it kinda fits. That was pretty dumb of me.

8 hours ago, Armagon said:

Forgot to comment on this, the reason XS1's beginning is rough isn't because of the Gnosis dealing max damage, it's because it's one of those RPGs where you can't escape without using an item (the Baten Kaitos games also suffer from this) and before you get KOS-MOS, you can't damage the Gnosis so getting into battle with one is just a death sentence.

For sure, but it feels crummy when it does happen!

4 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

Oh wow! I didn't know this existed! I honestly questioned what the point of Rage Soul is, but I see now that this is it!
This sounds tailor-made for the likes of Jungo and Keita, and definitely something to keep in mind, once I get to New Game Plus.

To be precise, the only demon who naturally comes with Ultimate Hit is Alice. However, you can get it slightly earlier on Friday by skill cracking it off of Beelzebub, and then using a Holy Set or maybe Strike Set Add-On in the fusion process will let you give Ultimate Hit to a demon without needing to fight Alice.

7 hours ago, Armagon said:

Yeah, Future Connected is pretty chill. It mainly serves to give Melia some additional closure although the character who benefitted the most was Tyrea.

Which means I've been making something of a mountain out of a molehill with the need for the right mindset.😆

The main battle theme makes me think... tropical vacation adventure music? Which is befittingly light, just tell me when I get to the Gogol conga line scene.

It could be because there isn't such a drastic number but i actually enjoyed getting all the quests here. One of them is necessary to tie up a loose end from the plot (why this resolution is optional idk) but given that you did skip every cutscene, it probably wouldn't make sense for you to do that quest.

I already did it, I tried not to read the text, but I did skim it. What kind of big bad guy lets himself be Toppled in two fights? Pitiful. I expected harder. Sounded like a simple madman, not that the events of XC1 main game wouldn't provide grounds for a little madness perhaps. 

I do recall that at some point, I did open a spoiler you had posted on Future Connected. I remember nothing of its contents, other than the name of said villain, whom you said felt weak.

It could be because there isn't such a drastic number but i actually enjoyed getting all the quests here.

True, a lot less meant they weren't so bad. Had some nice ideas for petite stories, albeit, like XC1 maingame's quests, those small narratives are mostly underbaked, more so even in this case.

15 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Mario Golf: The Switch's masterpiece.

I've never played a Mario Golf game. I had good fun with 64 and GC Tennis, but I never had Golf. Tennis is fast-paced and easy to have fun with, Golf is slower and more complex and just doesn't look as approachable.

4 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

And he comes with Juno, who is like... the only unit in all of FE6 that I've never, ever used because she sucks so much at everything that isn't rescue-dropping. Neat.

I do pity Juno, a working mother, which is rare in FE. And while Dayan has perfectly fine and usable combat stats for a bow-toting lategame prepromote in a game wherein you've one big enemy flier chapter left, she no stats at all by comparison, nor a good sword rank to give her that niche among fliers. The triangle attack means nothing if she deals 0x3 damage.

4 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

..Seriously though, ever since I first discovered the existence of Heroes, Marcus's absence has been among the most baffling to me. Marcus is the Jeigan in two FEs, making him one of the characters with the most availability in the entire series.

Most of FE7's playable cast is in at this point, and so are most of its villains -although Nergal the Insane Main remains nowhere in sight. He stands a fair chance of getting in on that game's coattails if it gets another banner. I'd say it's less likely his white-haired self slips in.

1 hour ago, Shrimperor said:

So a Princess and a thief want to take back a Kingdom

With the Thief being promised the royal castle as a new thief base

sure xD

Are you considering another Department Heaven game? Haven't you learned your lesson?🤨

Listen, let me get back to emulating, I've a desire to try it again. I'll subject myself to the potential agony and tell you how it goes. You can sit back, relax, and look up the hot spring CG that strangely was less "censored" in the Western version of the game than the Japanese.😛

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Are you considering another Department Heaven game? Haven't you learned your lesson?🤨

NN1k8YT.png

gotta balance my natural sadism with gaming machoism somehow

Was on a SRPG discord server yesterday ranting about gungnir and somehow everyone there convinced me to give Yggdra a try.

Atleast i know now where some of the music of FE hacks come from lol

1 minute ago, Shrimperor said:

NN1k8YT.png

gotta balance my natural sadism with gaming machoism somehow

I wish mercy upon you. I pray you picked the not-Hard difficulty this time, although the PSP's Hard was the only difficulty mode for the original GBA release.

And between his name and his handsome looks, Milanor is not what I'd expect for an axe-toting bandit. Maybe we'd feel guilty butchering them in FE if they were as cool.

1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I pray you picked the not-Hard difficulty this time, although the PSP's Hard was the only difficulty mode for the original GBA release

The game didn't give me a difficulty option, so...?

Normal i guess? I hope?

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Milanor is not what I'd expect for an axe-toting bandit. Maybe we'd feel guilty butchering them in FE if they were as cool.

FE doesn't give us cool Bandits who fall in love with the Princess at first sight xD

1 minute ago, Shrimperor said:

The game didn't give me a difficulty option, so...?

Normal i guess? I hope?

Hard is unlocked from beating the game once, I didn't remember that. So you're... less screwed?

I do remember being told, I don't know why, but don't neglect training Yggdra, despite the first chapters being hard on her.