• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

32 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

But, it's hard to say exactly, if there really is any Sony to Nintendo shift underway. Dragon Quest XI was two Nintendo systems, but barring VII and VIII, every mainline DQ title has been on Nintendo systems. And the same with Shin Megami Tensei, barring Nocturne, every mainline SMT has been Nintendo.

Hmm. The Switch has become the JRPG machine (seriously, they're everywhere on this system) but a good chunk of them are still ports and a few notable series still haven't been on the system much. There are Final Fantasy games on the Switch but they're just ports of old games. Tales literally only has the Vesperia Definitive Edition on the Switch. Persona and Kingdom Hearts only have spin-offs.

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Hmm. The Switch has become the JRPG machine (seriously, they're everywhere on this system) but a good chunk of them are still ports and a few notable series still haven't been on the system much. There are Final Fantasy games on the Switch but they're just ports of old games. Tales literally only has the Vesperia Definitive Edition on the Switch. Persona and Kingdom Hearts only have spin-offs.

Reminds me of the plain old NDS. Maybe it's just me, but other than Atlus, and arguably peak Pokemon, the DS had many JRPGs, but otherwise few great and original ones. Not saying they didn't exist -they did but didn't number a whole lot- yet because of my good memories with the original DS, I'm feeling surprised that I conclude this in retrospect. 

16 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Maybe it's just me, but other than Atlus, and arguably peak Pokemon, the DS had many JRPGs, but otherwise few great and original ones.

I mean, Europe finally got Chrono Trigger. The remakes count for something imo (even if that's closer to a straight port considering how little's actively changed)

But I get what you mean. Ignoring the ports, stuff like the Mario RPGs and Pokemon (main and spinoff), it's the console that TWEWY fans will tell you's the only way to play that game, it has the predecessor to Bravely Default, a couple of others that are Japan only, SMT Strange Journey, the end of Golden Sun and not that much else that's stand out from what I can tell. I'm leaning on original here and even then there's a sequel or two in my short ass list.

Except Infinite Space. Boy I've heard about that.

Edited by Dayni

5 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Azur Lance gatcha game that features Industrial Age warships and submarines turned into "shipmates". Like, who thought of that?

ABmJYkm.jpg

5 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

Fate in a nutshell

XD
Very true!

---

So...
I did something.
Something I started a little bit ago, but I just now finally finished it. I played FE4.

Gotta say.... Eh? Not bad? Could've been worse, I guess. Some characters I really liked, some are like "lolwho?", but there was no one really negative in there (except Lewyn, because philanderers need to cease existing this instant, and Ares, who felt like your typical fanfic edgelord). I also wasn't a fan about how they turned Julia into a damsel in distress later on. That felt very unnecessary to me.
Gameplay was slow as hell (and also pretty easy, particularly Gen 2), and the romance mechanic was... something.
Like... people complain about "four conversations -> boom! Marriage!" in modern FE, but in this game it's "zero/one conversation(s) -> boom! Marriage!". I just don't see how this game did that any better than the newer entries, is basically what I'm saying. Except MAYBE the fact that they relegated the child characters to their own part of the story, and don't have time travel or Babyrealm shenanigans involved. As for the character designs, well... I don't see why people complain about fanservice in the new games when in this game, you have Sylvia (ESPECIALLY Sylvia), Lene, Tine, Ishtar, Erinys/Ferry/Fury/Erin, Fee, and Tailtiu. Now, I don't dislike these characters, far from it. I just think that their designs aren't any better or worse in the fanservice regard than some of the newer characters.

And also...
Erinys/Ferry/Fury/Erin is Palla. She's just straight up Palla. With slightly longer hair.
10ghvJN.pngH1WHxtt.png

They didn't even fucking try. XD
I like Erinys, she's a neat character, but come on, designers! You couldn't at least make her hair, like, I don't know, black or brown, or heck, purple, or something?

And then there is Lachesis (and yes, it's Lachesis, not Raquesis. Look up Greek mythology), who 100% served as the template for Eirika. Her base class is basically the same (minus staff utility on Eirika), and her promoted class is mounted... only difference being that Lachesis' promotion is busted af, and Eirika's... isn't.

In the end... I actually kind of enjoyed myself playing it. More than I thought it would.
However, I will say, as it stands right now, it is rather barebones, and it would benefit greatly from having its story and characters expanded upon by a LOT.

Also, screw anyone who thought Great Shield/Pavise was a good idea.

Edited by DragonFlames

43 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Reminds me of the plain old NDS. Maybe it's just me, but other than Atlus, and arguably peak Pokemon, the DS had many JRPGs, but otherwise few great and original ones. Not saying they didn't exist -they did but didn't number a whole lot- yet because of my good memories with the original DS, I'm feeling surprised that I conclude this in retrospect. 

You know, I feel like you can say this about Ninty's handhelds in general. The GBA, DS, 3DS and (technically) Switch all have a great library of JRPGs, regardless of how many of them are ports.

The consoles on the other hand.......I mean the NES and SNES had their fair share and once again, the Switch technically but other than that......yeah. Most notorious of them is the N64.

9 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

What if you

Wanted to play the game

But Great Shield said 

"No"

10 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Like... people complain about "four conversations -> boom! Marriage!" in modern FE, but in this game it's "zero/one conversation(s) -> boom! Marriage!". I just don't see how this game did that any better than the newer entries, is basically what I'm saying. Except MAYBE the fact that they relegated the child characters to their own part of the story, and don't have time travel or Babyrealm shenanigans involved. As for the character designs, well... I don't see why people complain about fanservice in the new games when in this game, you have Sylvia (ESPECIALLY Sylvia), Lene, Tine, Ishtar, Erinys/Ferry/Fury/Erin, Fee, and Tailtiu. Now, I don't dislike these characters, far from it. I just think that their designs aren't any better or worse in the fanservice regard than some of the newer characters.

F A C T S
A
C
T
S

doesn't make modern FE any better, but as much as ilike FE4 people are sometimes super hypocrites about it

10 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

https://fireemblemwiki.org/w/images/thumb/7/72/Shouzou_Kaga_1994.png

12 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

I also wasn't a fan about how they turned Julia into a damsel in distress later on. That felt very unnecessary to me.

Oh man you will LOVE Athol.

L O V E

<.<

The worst Kaga damsel yet, and if  you thought Julia was bad, oh boy

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

What if you

Wanted to play the game

But Great Shield said 

"No"

Yep. That skill is peak Kaga, alright. xD

Also, to everyone still wanting to play FE4: pair Lex with Aideen.
Trust me.

14 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

And also...
Erinys/Ferry/Fury/Erin is Palla. She's just straight up Palla. With slightly longer hair.

They didn't even fucking try. XD
I like Erinys, she's a neat character, but come on, designers! You couldn't at least make her hair, like, I don't know, black or brown, or heck, purple, or something?

It was certainly egregious back in the day, huh. XD

It was just that one artwork though. The other artwork gives her white clothes, which you can see in better detail in Heroes.

FESK_Erinys_02.png

Edited by Acacia Sgt

1 minute ago, Shrimperor said:

F A C T S
A
C
T
S

doesn't make modern FE any better, but as much as ilike FE4 people are sometimes super hypocrites about it

Yep, that's the kind of dark thought this game implanted into me.

1 minute ago, Shrimperor said:

XD

2 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Oh man you will LOVE Athol.

L O V E

<.<

The worst Kaga damsel yet, and if  you thought Julia was bad, oh boy

Athol is from one of the Saga games, I assume? xD

Julia's sudden damselness irked me because of how unnecessary it felt. Like... she was abducted because ???
It had absolutely zero bearing on anything, and didn't really affect anything, either.

1 minute ago, Acacia Sgt said:

It was certainly egregious back in the day, huh. XD

It was just that one artwork though. The other artwork gives her white clothes, which you can see in better detail in Heroes.

FESK_Erinys_02.png

Okay, that one's slightly better, but still. XD
Even her in-game portrait... when she first showed up, I was like "man, they put the Whitewings everywhere, didn't they?" XD

6 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Also, to everyone still wanting to play FE4: pair Lex with Aideen.

Pourquoi?

1 minute ago, Dayni said:

Pourquoi?

Paragon on Lana is amazing.
Imagine: Level 22 promoted Lana in Chapter 7.
On top of that, for me, she got defense like no other, so for a good while, she was my "throw it into a pack of enemies and see what happens" unit. xD

Speaking of!

I forgot to say who my favorite characters are!

My top two favorite characters from this game are easily Tine and Lene. They have endeared themselves to me the most while I was playing the game. Have trouble deciding who I like more, though, heh.

3 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

And this other gives her orange clothes:

472px-FESK_Erinys_03.png

So yeah, it mostly what the TCG artists were thinking to make her basically a Palla-clone.

Hmm, alright then!
Still, I maintain the long green hair could've been a different color. xD

11 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Yep. That skill is peak Kaga, alright. xD

When it came to bosses that had that, I remember actually just resorting to cheats because I didn't feel like dealing with it.

Just now, Armagon said:

When it came to bosses that had that, I remember actually just resorting to cheats because I didn't feel like dealing with it.

And I used Forseti and waited it out, healing when necessary (Forseti on Arthur is... something).
Which is basically cheating. XD

Just now, DragonFlames said:

Hmm, alright then!
Still, I maintain the long green hair could've been a different color. xD

It harkens to making almost everyone in Silessia have green hair, I suppose. At least, the four Heavenly Knights of Silessia are themed with the green hair and white uniforms.

Unless they changed the color theme of all, or at least Annand's. Since it's at least less jarring the sisters at least have the same color han the Whitewing's... own thing.

Just now, Acacia Sgt said:

It harkens to making almost everyone in Silessia have green hair, I suppose. At least, the four Heavenly Knights of Silessia are themed with the green hair and white uniforms.

Unless they changed the color theme of all, or at least Annand's. Since it's at least less jarring the sisters at least have the same color han the Whitewing's... own thing.

Good point!

1 minute ago, DragonFlames said:

Paragon on Lana is amazing.
Imagine: Level 22 promoted Lana in Chapter 7.

>Implying I didn't have Chapter 7 promoted Lana with Midir as her dad.

1 minute ago, DragonFlames said:

On top of that, for me, she got defense like no other, so for a good while, she was my "throw it into a pack of enemies and see what happens" unit. xD

That is something mine wasn't as good at, fair is fair. (I just like Pursuit, okay?)

Also, I'm going to be honest and say I've never been half as bothered by Great Shield as many of you have. I'm not asking for it to come back in full force (More sensible options for damage reduction/prevention have come since), but I really struggle to see it as the devil.

Just now, Dayni said:

>Implying I didn't have Chapter 7 promoted Lana with Midir as her dad.

It's just way easier to do, if you have Paragon. xD

Just now, Dayni said:

That is something mine wasn't as good at, fair is fair. (I just like Pursuit, okay?)

I won't try to convince you otherwise! ^^

1 minute ago, Dayni said:

Also, I'm going to be honest and say I've never been half as bothered by Great Shield as many of you have. I'm not asking for it to come back in full force (More sensible options for damage reduction/prevention have come since), but I really struggle to see it as the devil.

The most egregious examples of Great Shielding came from the arena more than the bosses. I wanted to complete the arena with each character (which was impossible sometimes, because some of the units are quite sucky), but Great Shield got in the way of that at times.

It's just way easier to do, if you have Paragon. xD

I'm being honest about how much I had to grind because I didn't pair Lex in that playthrough. Because Dew/Ayra was more important.

I won't try to convince you otherwise! ^^

In a game like this, I think it helps to have what wouldn't be as handicapped in any other game in the series because it does contribute to damage more evenly than Charge or Continue (which are proc skills, admittedly with higher rates than the sword skills for this), with most child characters able to outspeed most mobs from memory.

The most egregious examples of Great Shielding came from the arena more than the bosses. I wanted to complete the arena with each character (which was impossible sometimes, because some of the units are quite sucky), but Great Shield got in the way of that at times.

That is true.

I'm thinking of the Bolganone Baron right now.

And I probably should say it was a bother, considering Hilda's troops, but I didn't find it that way.

Absolutely off topic, I almost thought I had the prefect rendition of Astronomia (what we call the Coffin Dance tune), but sadly this version wasn't it (What I'm referring to was over this footage, but no this wasn't it).