Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

9 minutes ago, Zan Partizanne said:

^ nice, have fun

I haven't played the demo, but I think only the close combat is introduced there. The range combat (ball system) is introduced a bit later. Unfortunately Switch version does not offer DLCs, but I think Armagon told. it will happen in the future. Would buy it, if it's worth.

Balls are introduced in the demo, actually. The demo covers the ominous intro and the tutorial at the ship, all the way to the one boss that's like, a mechanical spider with a container on top.

As for the Switch version... Well, frankly, I couldn't care less. I'm a PC guy, through and through.

• Replies 179.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

14 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Balls are introduced in the demo, actually. The demo covers the ominous intro and the tutorial at the ship, all the way to the one boss that's like, a mechanical spider with a container on top.

As for the Switch version... Well, frankly, I couldn't care less. I'm a PC guy, through and through.

Oh, then the first tough ball puzzle is not introduced there.

The tutorial gave me some trouble because spot dodging is really hard to use for me.

And I'm the exact opposite for having the opportunity to play outside.

I'm only playing Ys Origin for the PC because I got the game for about 3 € whilst it cost three times more for Switch.

Edit: I have to admit I mainly do PC gaming rn because I still need a PC for streaming all my console games.

Though aside of streaming I don't play any games on PC aside of Touhou, SRPG Studio, Trails in the Sky Triology and mentioned Ys.

Edited by Zan Partizanne

Oh God. I just found a FE hack that incorporates plot decisions. So not only can I lose my units because I'm shit at tactics, I can also destroy the world with my horrendous decision making.

I love it. I'm playing that after I finish the one I'm playing now. I think I'm four maps from the end... which is good, because this is the second map that feels like a lategame FE6 map and it's really testing my patience.

2 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

@Saint Rubenio

Why not give Ys origin Demo a try? I have a feeling it will be something you might really like

That's not a bad idea. I think I will.

Crosscode demo: Introduction to the story, the setting, the characters and some extremely basic gameplay tutorials.

Ys Origin demo: One screen of tutorials and then I'm dropped in a random volcano to kill people.

Also, you can tell the same people who made Trails are behind this because the resolution settings are garbage. As in, there are none. I get to play the game in 600x400.

Origin was awesome, from what I saw of it!
Though I can see Ruben really not liking one or two characters in particular... xD

Also, in Ys VIII, I did a quest that really made me laugh... and it also made me feel bad at the same time.
To wit: you have to find a Pikkard that hides in Castaway Village, and it runs away from you the first few times you find it.
Now... in Ys 2, there is a village on the inside of a volcano that is the only place where you can find Pikkards in the game... and I made a joke/headcanon about how the villagers chuck the poor things into the lava to cook them.
In Ys VIII, while running away from you, the Pikkard actually jumps into the camp's bonfire, basically canonizing my joke from the Ys 2 playthrough. xD

10 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Also, you can tell the same people who made Trails are behind this because the resolution settings are garbage. As in, there are none. I get to play the game in 600x400.

K0TlGjD.png

You can change it in the config

Also Ys (especially classic) is very action heavy, mostly action and less talk

7 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

In Ys VIII, while running away from you, the Pikkard actually jumps into the camp's bonfire, basically canonizing my joke from the Ys 2 playthrough. xD

lmao

Also imma eat lunch then post Dragon pics as promised

Edited by Shrimperor

Well, that was the demo. I didn't beat the boss, but eh, it's just a demo, who cares.

So Ys Origin is like, the first game? Ends on a cliffhanger or anything like that?

9 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Though I can see Ruben really not liking one or two characters in particular... xD

Great, there's gonna be a Joshua type that everyone praises for no good reason, isn't there. Ahh, well...

1 minute ago, Shrimperor said:

K0TlGjD.png

You can change it in the config

Right. I can only hope that THIS game doesn't become unplayable if I change too many graphic settings.

5 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

Basically, the structure of the chapter (side quest -> main story -> new party member, all while being locked at a certain location) is very Trails like. Especially with you being forced to do sidequests. You're basically 'forced' to play the game like you would a Trails game.

guess in the context of this specific game, it makes sense why it would be like that.

5 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

I thought you said cool

Smh no taste.

3 hours ago, Zan Partizanne said:

considering it feels longer than other action RPGs.

I wouldn't say it feels any longer than most ARPGs but it's definitely worth the price.

2 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

viq0M2i.jpg

But what is a master to a king?

FKYf3TL.gif

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I'll admit the story lost me a bit when it introduced the "anime MMORPG" set up

Honestly, it's pretty unique the way they handle it. Probably the most compelling "game within a game" premise i've ever seen, especially since i can't tell half the time what the "game" part is since the world is a real physical place.

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

and the demo showed absolutely nothing of the puzzle part of the game that everyone is always talking about,

Ah, i'd hope it gets at least to the tutorial dungeon. Then again, the segment the demo covers can just flat out be skipped on NG+.

18 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Crosscode demo: Introduction to the story, the setting, the characters and some extremely basic gameplay tutorials.

Ys Origin demo: One screen of tutorials and then I'm dropped in a random volcano to kill people.

Tbf, Ys Origin is pretty much just a gameplay game. The story there is is just there to like, give context. It's not really a draw of the game.

To compare the two, Ys Origin is basically an ARPG at pure but basic form while CrossCode gives you a lot of options with builds and stuff. And yes, you can purposely make yourself bad by spending all your points on defense skills and leaving you with zero attack.

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

So Ys Origin is like, the first game? Ends on a cliffhanger or anything like that?

Ys Origin takes place 700 years before Ys 1.

9 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Great, there's gonna be a Joshua type that everyone praises for no good reason, isn't there. Ahh, well...

Well, kinda, but it's more like he's edgy (of the asshole variety) to the point where you have to ask yourself "how the fuck has nobody kicked his ass yet?".
And there's another edgy guy (of the brooding edgy kind) who does get less edgy, but he starts edgy.

What I'm saying is, Yunica best protag.

21 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

lmao

Also imma eat lunch then post Dragon pics as promised

Hooray! Enjoy lunch, Shrimpy! ^^

7 minutes ago, Armagon said:

But what is a master to a king?

Kings exist to be dethroned.

Edited by DragonFlames

5 minutes ago, Armagon said:

To compare the two, Ys Origin is basically an ARPG at pure but basic form while CrossCode gives you a lot of options with builds and stuff. And yes, you can purposely make yourself bad by spending all your points on defense skills and leaving you with zero attack.

All right.

5 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Ys Origin takes place 700 years before Ys 1.

Ah. Well, ain't that great.

2 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Well, that, and he's edgy.

Fucking beautiful. My favorite kind of character.

And there's another edgy guy who does get less edgy, but he starts edgy.

This is fine.

What I'm saying is, Yunica best protag.

The generic anime girl? Meh. I picked Hugo in the demo because he was a spellcaster.

11 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

The game is a prequel telling what happened 700 years before the series

Well, that was the demo.

how was it?

Great, there's gonna be a Joshua type that everyone praises for no good reason, isn't there. Ahh, well.

Don't start with his route XD

8 minutes ago, Armagon said:

guess in the context of this specific game, it makes sense why it would be like that

It does it does, and for this game i can accept it

Especially since the Adol vs. Romun clash was a long time coming

Just don't make Ys just action Trails in the future

Edited by Shrimperor

Just now, Shrimperor said:

how was it?

Fun. Extremely confusing, because the game just dropped me in there after giving me an explanation of the controls that didn't include the fire ball summoning I required to advance. But I figured it out.

Just now, Shrimperor said:

Don't start with his route XD

I cannot avoid his route if you do not tell me his name.

1 minute ago, DragonFlames said:

That is exactly the guy I was talking about. XD

Noooo c'mon. Really? So the cool spellcaster dude is a horrible character, and the other choice is generic anime girl. Goddamnit...

Just now, Saint Rubenio said:

Noooo c'mon. Really? So the cool spellcaster dude is a horrible character, and the other choice is generic anime girl. Goddamnit...

Yeah, Hugo sucks.
Badly. But he's the baby mode for the game, basically. As in, you can cheese pretty hard using him.

Generic anime girl, by the way, is basically Estelle lite.

Yeah, Hugo sucks.
Badly. But he's the baby mode for the game, basically. As in, you can cheese pretty hard using him.

Nice. Well, screw me and my preference for mages, I guess.

Generic anime girl, by the way, is basically Estelle lite.

I did notice she has an axe. That's neat, at least.

3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

He and his entire family are honestly a bit of sour spot on the game for me.
It makes sense when taking the rest of the series into account (particularly Ys 1), but they're still a little too much of a black hole for my liking.

I did notice she has an axe. That's neat, at least.

Yeah!

Edited by DragonFlames

3 minutes ago, DragonFlames said:

Kings exist to be dethroned.

I'm trying to make a joke to respond to this but I can't think of any so uhhhhh here's Kong getting drunk

King_Kong_vs._Godzilla_-_24_-_King_Kong_

5 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Just don't make Ys just action Trails in the future

It's ok, they got Kuro for that.

RIP.

6 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Basically he has an OP shield and can attack from range, hence why he is baby mode.

With Yunica guard needs timing and has to recharge and she only gets ranged attack halfway through the game and needs to recharge them

3rd character is basically Wolverine from X-men with the Claws and all, but you need to finish one of the other routes first to unlock him

7 hours ago, Armagon said:

Good, that Kraid looks awful and i'm glad they cut it out.

Seriously, what did they do to his face?

Looks to me like it the fight probably would've involved breaking that weird metal plating, and then the exposed face would then become his weak point. Not sure how exactly that would've been done. I agree the helmet is awful and the teeth ain't better.

Another question would've been what upgrade he'd be guarding, as a boss ought to. Considering his planned location was the Phazon Mines, there aren't many options of what it could've been.

Regardless of his looks, I feel sorry for Kraid. He was there with Ridley as the original two Metroid bosses + Mother Brain, but he hasn't been deemed "essential" to the franchise like the purple dragon. Is the problem he is too big? Ironic, since he and Ridley were both roughly the size of Samus in NES Metroid.

6 hours ago, Armagon said:

Scan Visor is definitely gonna get annoying.

Reaching 50% and 100% on the logbook (only stuff that gets recorded in the menu matters I think: Research, Chozo Lore, Pirate Data, Creatures) does unlock some art gallery stuff ingame. Keep in mind at least one non-boss (all missable of ofc) Creatures entry is permanently missable- the Ice Shriekbat, since it goes away after you get an upgrade shortly after first encountering it.

I like the Scan Visor myself, even if it means taking a little damage against an enemy first time encountering them while I'm scanning. I've seen that MP2 and 3 let you scan anywhere on the target and don't limit it to tiny square for the scan point. The Scan Visor can tip you off on how to defeat enemies, and point out anything destructible in the environment. 

4 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Holy shit. Are you all right?

After a bit of panic (tornado was literally two blocks away from me) im alright, thanks.

3 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

Be safe, please!

Im alright. Xd

6 hours ago, Armagon said:

Scan Visor is definitely gonna get annoying.

This was my initial thought, but they actually provide some intersting flavor text, so i ended actually enjoying it.