• Replies 177.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

Read a random page I didn't see last night--there's a patch to play Birthright characters in Conquest? Is that new? I don't recall hearing anything about that. I've always wanted to do that.

15 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Randal is a offensively solid if unlucky Paladin, useful for either lord. 

I'd argue that Randal is better on Alm's side as the terrain there benefits him way more. Celica has too many deserts and swamps for a paladin to truly be useful

5 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

How long is Torna focusing on purely storyline? Meaning level 4 community and everything.

15-20 hours. Standard game length.

8 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

How long is Torna focusing on purely storyline? Meaning level 4 community and everything.

I think it took me 40 or so hours to complete Torna. The "optional" quests are optional until near the end of the game, where you suddenly need to complete most of them to finish the game. It's a great game, and I did most of them, but labelling them as optional when they're essentially mandatory is a bit shit.

EDIT: thanks shrimp babe

Edited by DodgeDusk

9 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

The story is hardly there, the gameplay is pretty much a 1:1 of the original, where exactly is the thrill?

Was it supposed to be thrilling? Or a cup of coffee after a five-course dinner? Perhaps we've different expectations for what it's supposed to be.

Future Connected wasn't intended from the start of XC1's development the way Torna was a reworking of backstory they wanted to make playable to some degree in XC2's maingame. FC is use of an unused region from XC1, with a focus on Poor Melia b/c fan pity, supposedly a teaser about XB's future, and enigmatically proclaimed to be influenced by XG Episode 6. It's a bundle of disparate ideas tied together with Nopon and a tune that makes me as inclined to dance with a pina colada in hand as it does to fight.

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

I'd argue that Randal is better on Alm's side as the terrain there benefits him way more. Celica has too many deserts and swamps for a paladin to truly be useful

Fair point, I thinking mostly Randal was fine with her b/c she otherwise doesn't get a pally until crazy-late Conrad. Although Celica does benefit from Emma more. So the duo is tugged equally in both directions.

15-20 hours. Standard game length.

Mmkay.

XC and FC feel the exact same, whereas Torna and XC2 feel like entirely different games to me. 

1 minute ago, DodgeDusk said:

I think it took me 40 or so hours to complete Torna. The "optional" quests are optional until near the end of the game, where you suddenly need to complete most of them to finish the game. It's a great game, and I did most of them, but labelled them as optional when they're essentially mandatory is a bit shit.

Do they ever say that quests are optional? 

Ive played the game ALOT of times so I just blow through it. As I said, im level 30 before leaving Gormott, lmao

Just now, Interdimensional Observer said:

Was it supposed to be thrilling? Or a cup of coffee after a five-course dinner? Perhaps we've different expectations for what it's supposed to be.

Future Connected wasn't intended from the start of XC1's development the way Torna was a reworking of backstory they wanted to make playable to some degree in XC2's maingame. FC is use of an unused region from XC1, with a focus on Poor Melia b/c fan pity, supposedly a teaser about XB's future, and enigmatically proclaimed to be influenced by XG Episode 6. It's a bundle of disparate ideas tied together with Nopon and a tune that makes me as inclined to dance with a pina colada in hand as it does to fight.

Well... I hope they would design it to be thrilling. Doesnt that kinda speak for itself, then?

2 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Do they ever say that quests are optional? 

Ive played the game ALOT of times so I just blow through it. As I said, im level 30 before leaving Gormott, lmao

I remember thinking to myself, "wow, if I hadn't done these quests I'd be annoyed" since progress is gated behind community level. I'm sure the game states when you first get them you're not obligated to complete them, or take them at your own pace at the very least.

4 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

yw!

I mixed it with the icon and voice mod if you want that, too!

There's also another hack i wanna try some time: Heirs of Conquest. Replaces the characters with the kids

https://gamebanana.com/mods/51438

I'll look into this. Cheers, boyo.

5 minutes ago, DodgeDusk said:

think it took me 40 or so hours to complete Torna. The "optional" quests are optional until near the end of the game, where you suddenly need to complete most of them to finish the game. It's a great game, and I did most of them, but labelling them as optional when they're essentially mandatory is a bit shit.

I suppose it's a technicality. It's optional in the sense that no specific quest is mandatory but it's required for you to do a certain amount.

I personally enjoyed the content in the quests so I didn't mind much. It's no Xenoblade X sidequest quality, which is in a league of of it's own just in general but I do always complete each quest in Torna every time I play it.

6 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

XC and FC feel the exact same, whereas Torna and XC2 feel like entirely different games to me. 

Because, as Observer said, the intent between these two projects were very different.

1 minute ago, DodgeDusk said:

since progress is gated behind community level.

I honestly really hate it when games do that.

Torna did it but thankfully i was close to lvl4 already before the gating happened.

And then Ys 9 did it every chapter and it pissed me off

I suppose it's a technicality. It's optional in the sense that no specific quest is mandatory but it's required for you to do a certain amount.

I personally enjoyed the content in the quests so I didn't mind much. It's no Xenoblade X sidequest quality, which is in a league of of it's own just in general but I do always complete each quest in Torna every time I play it.

Oh yeah, I enjoyed them too. And thanks for the reminder that I really should finish my XBX save. Though at this point I may as well restart it--been years.

3 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

I honestly really hate it when games do that.

Torna did it but thankfully i was close to lvl4 already before the gating happened.

And then Ys 9 did it every chapter and it pissed me off

And thank YOU for reminding me I need to finish Oath in Felghana. I literally stopped at the final boss, lmao.

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Because, as Observer said, the intent between these two projects were very different.

What WAS FC's intent? Other than to give character to Melia, which clearly didnt work well.

Just now, DodgeDusk said:

Oh yeah, I enjoyed them too. And thanks for the reminder that I really should finish my XBX save. Though at this point I may as well restart it--been years.

Good luck!

I don't judge Future Connected too harshly because it's basically a side project to a side project. It mostly exists as a buying incentive for people who already played Xenoblade 1, and Monolith preferred to keep it small so they could focus on the other game they're currently working on. The fact that FC isn't sold separately from the main game like Torna is another reason why Monolith didn't want to devote too much time/work to it.

Edited by Lightchao42

10 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

I don't judge Future Connected too harshly because it's basically a side project to a side project. It mostly exists as a buying incentive for people who already played Xenoblade 1, and Monolith preferred to keep it small so they could focus on the other game they're currently working on. The fact that FC isn't sold separately from the main game like Torna is another reason why Monolith didn't want to devote too much time/work to it.

I suppose thats one way of looking at it. Doesnt really give me a reason to want to replay it, though.

If a game has enough to pull the player in, then im all for it.

Edited by lightcosmo

1 hour ago, Shrimperor said:

Kaze's usually deals more with me even though he uses much weaker weapons.

And having less strength (or equal depending on how you are rounding and which level) at the same level on average...

1 hour ago, Shrimperor said:

Also his debuffs are super useful and having WTA over mages helps alot

I find this utility massively overshadowed by the starting maid/butler thanks to their use of the same weapon type and early access to tomebreaker. The only utility advantage he has over them is the locktouch (whereas they start with the massive advantage of staff use), and the extra movement Niles class gets over Kaze makes him worse than Niles for locktouch utility as well (not to mention the  power of capture utility), which is an awkward position to be in given his combat stats are what people dislike in Niles, but moreso. Sure you might use your fist heart seal on Jakob, but if you use that on Mozu, or have Felicia, its hard not to look at him as a bit overshadowed in the utility department by units you get earlier.

42 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Bert's Paralogue,

I guess I banned the prepromoted royals from my runs on my first Lunatic run, so I haven't really seen what it is like on Lunatic.

43 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Takumi's fun castle needs like a full staff (Hinata has like 70 avo before throne iirc)

Hinata's group is entirely optional to face (as long as you have a flyer), and if you do want to fight him, their linked AI makes them very vulnerable to Shelter-Dance strats. He will literally sit there waiting for you to kill him as long as you shelter-dance whoever attacked him (and the support needed for the shelter dances) far enough back afterwards.

48 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Ryoma's map if you do it legit needs a full one as well

Depends on where you are using your entrap uses, as the last time I beat that chapter the long way I only used one freeze use, but I could imagine needing a full one on that map if you can't afford to use an entrap staff to break the lunge blender in Saizo's half.

56 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

a full one as well and finale if you don't rescue skip.

Ugh... that sounds believable, but not rescue skipping as much of that mess as you can feels like a mistake in planning.

6 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Niles and Mozu B

Mozu: "You...you're horrible..."

Niles: "And you're boring, which is worse."

Well. He said it, not me.

And he can bugger off. Not everyone can be the most interesting man in the world (which Niles is not), this is not the same as good.

Honestly I am glad I was not in on this conversation for the last few hours I was lost looking at it right now.

14 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Hinata's group is entirely optional to face (as long as you have a flyer)

Not as easy to skip on Lunatic tho since they have strong enemies waiting where i usually skipped on lower difficulties

15 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

not rescue skipping as much of that mess as you can feels like a mistake in planning.

i wanted to do it a bit legit if you remember xD

10 hours ago, twilitfalchion said:

I just get tired of dungeons slowing things to a crawl and killing the pace.

Wait, you don’t like dungeons? If you don’t mind, why do you even like Zelda then? I always felt like dungeons were kind of the point.

4 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Oh, phew. Got me worried there for a minute. Now you just have to keep me informed about your experience with the returns!

I’ll still have the caravan suffer a few tragic “accidents”. Just in case.

2 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

fU1cpFp.png8E52IoA.png

For Myrmidons these 2 sure have muscles

If you’re going to argue that Hinata is good, even I can’t defend you.

11 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Niles and Mozu B

Mozu: "You...you're horrible..."

Niles: "And you're boring, which is worse."

Well. He said it, not me.

Yet he’s gonna change his tune a bit later in the game and love her.

I do agree with 06 tho that marrying Niles to Mozu to get Archer class kis (quick draw + Bow Faire) could make him real good. Especially with Archer fixing his growth a bit.

I did have a Mozu!Nina with that kit once iirc. Let her inherit Bow Faire and she learned Shuriken Breaker, and she helped alot in Ryoma's map

10 minutes ago, Sooks said:

If you’re going to argue that Hinata is good, even I can’t defend you

Hinata and Hana have been unironically MVP every map so far lol

0S75KPy.png

every time

Edited by Shrimperor