Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

12 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Hey, come to my place, I'll talk for you.

Excellent, I've always wanted to learn how to say "Play Berwick Saga" in Spanish

12 hours ago, Punished Dayni said:

Clinton: the true Elder Gamer

Clinton Ring

11 hours ago, Armagon said:

The kid's been Milkshake Duck'd btw.

He's been...

What?

Is this a Florida thing?

• Replies 180k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

So I played the game Humankind for the first time last night before I went to bed and on the loading screen it should an image of a couple of plains Natives painting an Indian American version of the goddamn Sistine Chapel.

It's been on my mind this entire day and I couldn't find any version of it online, please god tell me what I saw was real and not some dream I had.

12 minutes ago, Punished Dayni said:

Again, I wonder about faiths that have.... not as many adherents these days (moreso the effectively if not actually extinct religions)

Well as someone who is part of a people group with a huge spanning mythology that many are trying to keep alive to this day I am...not allowed to tell you, but rest assured, it's not so cut and dry for the last remaining pagans of this world.

13 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

If it wasn't for the above, then yeah, an argument could be made localization is stablishing a deliberate difference.

Nealuchi is claiming the word for himself, to the point Naesala heard it from him when he was younger hence he says to him.

2 minutes ago, Edelguardiansing said:

Well as someone who is part of a people group with a huge spanning mythology that many are trying to keep alive to this day I am...not allowed to tell you, but rest assured, it's not so cut and dry for the last remaining pagans of this world.

I was talking about in the past in particular, with what knowledge we can ever have about that past being so limited.

And of course, I get why that'd be the case, the concerns raised about how that gets represented being certainly real (Why does my mind dart to bloody Twilight here?).

6 minutes ago, Punished Dayni said:

Nealuchi is claiming the word for himself, to the point Naesala heard it from him when he was younger hence he says to him.

Clearly, ravens have c-word pass.

Just now, Imperator Squilla said:

SRW becomes super bad instantly

SRW knows how to properly weaponize black holes.

And it would be a snub to Xenosaga fans anyhow. Namco should tap in its own semi-obscure mech-inclusive VG series before going over to other companies', minus Sega.

4 hours ago, Green06 said:

The Good Ending is this one here, Armagon

Yes but the Koichi one is funnier.

4 hours ago, Green06 said:

Armagon is just malding because Rufus is the only competent villain in the series

Competent =/= good

4 hours ago, Edelguardiansing said:

hl0Xeat.png

3 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

t's a long road of struggle, yet if one can make it to the end, to truly break the cycle... but it's not a road to be walked alone. It's a two-lane road.

4 hours ago, Edelguardiansing said:

RhEcoWX.png

So did you recruit him?

2 hours ago, Benice said:

He's been...

What?

Is this a Florida thing?

23Ducktweet_xp-videoSixteenByNineJumbo16

2 hours ago, Edelguardiansing said:

So I played the game Humankind for the first time last night before I went to bed and on the loading screen it should an image of a couple of plains Natives painting an Indian American version of the goddamn Sistine Chapel.

It's been on my mind this entire day and I couldn't find any version of it online, please god tell me what I saw was real and not some dream I had.

Was it this?

Steam_Card_-_Humankind_-_Haudenosaunee_i

...yeah i'm not sure what's going on here. Like the game is apparently "fuck it, melting pot" and you make your own civilization by combining others but how do you get to this?

This is definitely some yikes territory ngl.

32 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Like the game is apparently "fuck it, melting pot" and you make your own civilization by combining others

The game is a "historical" 4X game (Explore, Expand, Exploit, Exterminate, usually turn-based), in the same genre and subgenre as the longstanding Sid Meyer's Civilization franchise. Humankind is a bit of rarity b/c Civ hasn't had much competition over the years which led to a lot of haters of Civ's current direction praising the Humankind to high heaven before it released, and many of them became very disappointed afterwards even though the game got like ~7.5/10 from critic reviews.

Part of Civilization that Humankind tries to replicate is Wonders (I haven't played Humankind yet myself BTW). Wonders are monumental structures that provide unique bonuses to your empire if built -but only one empire can construct them. If you don't build it to completion in time, you lose out. Wonders are usually the most glorious/well-known buildings from human history- the Great Pyramid of Giza, the Terracotta Army, Notre Dame, the Statue of Liberty, etc. For a video game that tries on some level to """simulate""" history, monumental feats of architecture is something we've as a species has done.

Different from Civilization, Humankind lets you swap which "Culture" as the game terms it, as you change world eras (Ancient, Classical, Medieval, Early Modern, Industrial, Contemporary). So after you leave the hunter-gatherer phase of Humankind, you can become Bantu in the Ancient era, swap to Han Chinese in the Classical, change over to Norse (aka "Viking" in common parlance) in Medieval, then go Mughal in the Early Modern, swap to Mexico in the Industrial, and end things as Australian in the Contemporary. Civ by contrast has you stick with one civilization from beginning to end.

With this is in mind, I don't think that loading screen artwork is too bad. I guess it's a well-meant attempt at symbolizing the syncretism of the game? -Although, ironically, the Sistine Chapel doesn't appear to be a Wonder in Humankind (even though Civ has used it before).

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

56 minutes ago, Armagon said:

So did you recruit him?

Well according to the Wiki I needed Rolf to recruit him and I kinda abandoned the kid a while ago and by the time I learned I needed him it was a while into the match and I couldn't be bothered to go back. So no racist uncle for me.

58 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Was it this?

Oh thank god it is real. Alright I'm instantly making this my computer background.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

...yeah i'm not sure what's going on here. Like the game is apparently "fuck it, melting pot" and you make your own civilization by combining others but how do you get to this?

This is definitely some yikes territory ngl.

Personally I just find it funny, like I get the whole, "We don't know how to portray this culture so we're just gonna take the general aesthetic and pallet swap it with western culture" But here it just feels tongue and cheek and having played the game I can tell you it jokes around a lot like that.

It kind of reminds me of how my grandparent have a Native themed portrayal of Jesus' birth set up above their fireplace every Christmas.

33 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

With this is in mind, I don't think that loading screen artwork is too bad. I guess it's a well-meant attempt at symbolizing the syncretism of the game? -Although, ironically, the Sistine Chapel doesn't appear to be a Wonder in Humankind (even though Civ has used it before).

Yeah it's not too bad, especially how it's clearly not taking itself too seriously with it. I remember having to do a double take when I first saw it with how absurd it is.

Speaking of which, when checking out the expansion packs for the game I ended up downloading a pack of wallpapers from the Latin American expansion which is full of authentic imagery that is also reflected in the already existing Native American representation of the base game.

I mean I'll never forgive the AI for stealing my own bloody culture of the Maya before me but I'm still glad they're there.

I'll have to find where all the cultures music and artwork is since I'd love to look at them all and judge how they represent certain cultures.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The game is a "historical" 4X game (Explore, Expand, Exploit, Exterminate, usually turn-based), in the same genre and subgenre as the longstanding Sid Meyer's Civilization franchise. Humankind is a bit of rarity b/c Civ hasn't had much competition over the years which led to a lot of haters of Civ's current direction praising the Humankind to high heaven before it released, and many of them became very disappointed afterwards even though the game got like ~7.5/10 from critic reviews.

Part of Civilization that Humankind tries to replicate is Wonders (I haven't played Humankind yet myself BTW). Wonders are monumental structures that provide unique bonuses to your empire if built -but only one empire can construct them. If you don't build it to completion in time, you lose out. Wonders are usually the most glorious/well-known buildings from human history- the Great Pyramid of Giza, the Terracotta Army, Notre Dame, the Statue of Liberty, etc. For a video game that tries on some level to """simulate""" history, monumental feats of architecture is something we've as a species has done.

Different from Civilization, Humankind lets you swap which "Culture" as the game terms it, as you change world eras (Ancient, Classical, Medieval, Early Modern, Industrial, Contemporary). So after you leave the hunter-gatherer phase of Humankind, you can become Bantu in the Ancient era, swap to Han Chinese in the Classical, change over to Norse (aka "Viking" in common parlance) in Medieval, then go Mughal in the Early Modern, swap to Mexico in the Industrial, and end things as Australian in the Contemporary. Civ by contrast has you stick with one civilization from beginning to end.

Ok so with the proper context, it isn't too bad then. I see.

10 minutes ago, Edelguardiansing said:

Well according to the Wiki I needed Rolf to recruit him and I kinda abandoned the kid a while ago and by the time I learned I needed him it was a while into the match and I couldn't be bothered to go back. So no racist uncle for me.

He'll walk it off in time for the sequel then.

11 minutes ago, Edelguardiansing said:

It kind of reminds me of how my grandparent have a Native themed portrayal of Jesus' birth set up above their fireplace every Christmas.

Ah ok so this is a thing that does happen then. With the context of this+what Observer said, i retract my previous statement about it being yikes.

♫ Y eran mexicanos Y eran mexicanos
Y eran mexicanos su porte y su faz ♫

I actually once went to the Basilica, so many years ago. Just went to Mexico City twice in my life and that's it. Don't know if I'd ever get the chance again.

---

Hahahaha

Brasil y los gatos, enemigos naturales

These memes are a hoot...

8 hours ago, Imperator Squilla said:

Inb4 the localized version of Engage has this removed.

...Actually, I realized if they don't do that, Engage will actually outfates Fates. Goodness gracious.

Not that I care, mind. If there's no major gameplay benefits to this that for all intents and purposes force me to do it, I'll be fine with its existence. Or any of the Somniel nonsense, for that matter. It's all good as long as they don't try to force it on me. Let me just go to the maps if I feel like it.

This is... not guaranteed, so I will have to wait until closer to release to make sure. Somniel being Monastery 2.0 as opposed to My Castle 2.0 would be a rather heavy blow to my hype. But Engage has only scored wins so far, so I'm decently hopeful.

EDIT: Well, actually, on that matter, one thing comes to mind - In Three Houses, you absolutely needed to go to the monastery if you wanted to get any more characters than the starting class. Everyone was recruited in the monastery except for like, Flayn and the one midgame prepromote. This not only made it very annoying to avoid the monastery unless you happened to be a fan of all students, it also worked to the detriment of the maps, since it removed what traditionally had been one of the most interesting parts of them, the recruitments. This is clearly not the case here, so that's already a good sign.

4 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I need to pick up Omori again. I feel it's symbolic that I'm avoiding that door, pft. It's the Bioshock maneuver. WYK open that door, Sunny!

Dew it. You will not regret it.

6 hours ago, Edelguardiansing said:

Not to worry, racist uncle will come back to life for the sequel.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

6 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

EDIT: Well, actually, on that matter, one thing comes to mind - In Three Houses, you absolutely needed to go to the monastery if you wanted to get any more characters than the starting class. Everyone was recruited in the monastery except for like, Flayn and the one midgame prepromote. This not only made it very annoying to avoid the monastery unless you happened to be a fan of all students, it also worked to the detriment of the maps, since it removed what traditionally had been one of the most interesting parts of them, the recruitments. This is clearly not the case here, so that's already a good sign.

Gilbert and Jeritza on their routes. Seteth as well. Catherine, Shamir and Cyril in SS too, but the latter's probably too late to use and the others will still be behind the party unless you're on a speedrun.

The one method I can think around that would be pushing supports using mission assistance and when they hit B recruiting themselves, but you need to enter to get them to begin with and only get one at a time, alas.