Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

Just now, Imperator Squilla said:

Kaze

Yeah shitty story and all, but people were still mad

lol but c'mon, in that case it's because the game does nothing good with it because it's Fates and the story sucks major balls. Again, look in the spoiler for the perfect example - it's the exact same situation in a very similar game, only people generally enjoy it because the character is very well-written and their temporary playability is an essential part of their story. It simply wouldn't have the same impact had they not been playable at any point.

5 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

gain, look in the spoiler for the perfect example - it's the exact same situation in a very similar game, only people generally enjoy it because the character is very well-written and their temporary playability is an essential part of their story.

Or

Because only 5 people played the game

Just now, Imperator Squilla said:

Or

Because only 5 people played the game

Well... Okay, then. I've said my piece, at this point I'd just be going in circles.

I mean, what do I care anyway? If I want a game with a good story that has the courage to do impactful things, I'd go to another series. I play FE for the gameplay. Let me keep Vandad the entire game so I can upload the funny video of him killing Big Shadow.

Just now, Saint Rubenio said:

Well... Okay, then. I've said my piece, at this point I'd just be going in circles.

I mean, what do I care anyway? If I want a game with a good story that has the courage to do impactful things, I'd go to another series. I play FE for the gameplay. Let me keep Vandad the entire game so I can upload the funny video of him killing Big Shadow.

That would've been worthy of a monkey paw finger curl.

Engage doing as you wish... but it's with Vander.

56 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Then we have Engage, with its fantasy kingdoms, its knights and wizards, its romanticized war and its overall bizarro medieval aesthetic. And they threw modern workout wear in there without the slightest regard for consistency.

I have to admire the balls on 'em. They didn't give a shit.

While natural rubber exists, synthetic rubber is predominant in the modern world. We also have stuff like nylon, polyester, and plastics made from petroleum. Maybe the Leaning Tower of Pisa was originally an oil rig, but I don't think the pre-Industrial world had access to any of this.

8 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Sometimes you just have to make the player a bit upset - in the end they'll think back on it as one of the moments that made the game truly great.

There is what the JRPG Grandia did. When a character permanently left, you got to keep their equipment and were given a set of items that would let you pass their accrued weapon level experience to the other remaining heroes. For FE, change it over to regular EXP instead.

7 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Clearly the solution is to do it the Galuf way for when you lose a character in anything.

To explain this for @Saint Rubenio, a replacement character (in this case Galuf's granddaughter) shows up afterwards and inherits everything from the character who permanently left.

This also happened in Infinite Space with one crew member, and twice in Legend of Dragoon. So it's not exclusive to FFV.

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I mean, what do I care anyway? If I want a game with a good story that has the courage to do impactful things, I'd go to another series. I play FE for the gameplay.

You know something Rubenio, a decade ago I would’ve told you you’re crazy for saying such a thing. Nowadays I’ll tell you to go read the Dune trilogy or Book of the New Sun.

5 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

My Uncle at Nintendo just told me Vandad is gone unless he S-supports the loliest loli to ever loli

5 hours ago, Imperator Squilla said:

RD's desert map is one of the worst ever maps in existence

Its the reinforcements on a route map, with the desert making it miserable to try and finish off the map before said reinforcements arrive which make it misery.

3 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

No Move growth? 0/10

We don't know that for certain just from the image, as even Thracia had its special text box pop up for when you gained some anime

25 minutes ago, Edelguardiansing said:

Though who knows, I could be off base with all of those characters in that tier, especially since I haven't played all of Three Houses' routes and have yet to play the support filled New Mystery.

I don't know how high New Mysyery Marth would make it on your list, but in that game I generally see him as a guy dealing with a serious case of imposter syndrome from how everyone treats his accomplishments in the previous war...

3 minutes ago, Punished Dayni said:

That line's from SD though. I'm not calling him an astounding lord or anything, but I just didn't agree on the tier.

And it is an outlier for SD Marth, who spends a vast majority of the game like he is a silent protagonist repeatedly being talked to with a blank expression on his face.

3 minutes ago, Sidereal Wraith said:

You know something Rubenio, a decade ago I would’ve told you you’re crazy for saying such a thing. Nowadays I’ll tell you to go read the Dune trilogy or Book of the New Sun.

A Decade ago the only good FE story was Tellius.

FE4 tried, but goes full Fates in gen 2

4 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

We don't know that for certain just from the image, as even Thracia had its special text box pop up for when you gained some anime

Would be amusing if it was a function of Leif's Emblem Ring.

5 minutes ago, Imperator Squilla said:

A Decade ago the only good FE story was Tellius.

FE4 tried, but goes full Fates in gen 2

Maybe compared to its predecessors, but even Tellius has its faults.

1 minute ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

And it is an outlier for SD Marth, who spends a vast majority of the game like he is a silent protagonist repeatedly being talked to with a blank expression on his face.

Admittedly, there's that, arguable prologue stuff and not much else.

6 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

That'd be the real twist.

And Move isn't in the level up screen unlike Build.......

1 minute ago, Acacia Sgt said:

That would've been worthy of a monkey paw finger curl.

Engage doing as you wish... but it's with Vander.

You know, one of my favorite villains in any videogame I've ever played happens to be an old guy who turns traitor. If he never did I wouldn't like him half as much.

What I'm getting at is, I wouldn't even be mad if Vandad turned into a great villain. And if he just died... well, I can tell you it'd have a great impact on me, just because he was playable and it gave me a chance to grow fond of him. I wouldn't be happy, I'd cry, but ultimately, the story would be getting raw emotions out of me - which means it's doing something right. Much better than say, Jeralt's anticlimatic death being spelled out by their refusal to let you have him for even two nanoseconds.

Just now, Interdimensional Observer said:

While natural rubber exists, synthetic rubber is predominant in the modern world. We also have stuff like nylon, polyester, and plastics made from petroleum. Maybe the Leaning Tower of Pisa was originally an oil rig, but I don't think the pre-Industrial world had access to any of this.

Yeah lol, that's what I'm saying.

There is what the JRPG Grandia did. When a character permanently left, you got to keep their equipment and were given a set of items that would let you pass their accrued weapon level experience to the other remaining heroes. For FE, change it over to regular EXP instead.

That'd be fine. The spoiler I mentioned before actually does that too, it hands you a powerful prepromote right after The Funny happens who pretty much just serves to replace the loss. You might remember it. Really, it's not that difficult to pull something like this without it being detrimental to the gameplay.

At that point the only problem is that people might cry about losing their favorite baby. And to those I say... well, tough break, pal. People die in stories. You think I cheered when I made all the wrong choices in B. Saga and got like seven characters, some of whom I really liked, horribly killed? Of course not, but if it didn't do that I wouldn't remember the trilogy as fondly. Get over it and appreciate what the story's doing instead.

To explain this for @Saint Rubenio, a replacement character (in this case Galuf's granddaughter) shows up afterwards and inherits everything from the character who permanently left.

This also happened in Infinite Space with one crew member, and twice in Legend of Dragoon. So it's not exclusive to FFV.

Fair enough. Galuf is still gone. The story impact remains. Again, the example I brought up does it too, if in a more... subtle way. It doesn't tell you it's a replacement character, he just really works that way.

1 minute ago, Sidereal Wraith said:

You know, I'm a bit curious. Tell me, which do you think is more cringe, TMS or Engage's Yoga Emblem minigame?

6 minutes ago, Imperator Squilla said:

My Uncle at Nintendo just told me Vandad is gone unless he S-supports the loliest loli to ever loli

Sacrifices must be made

23 minutes ago, Imperator Squilla said:

Kaze

Yeah shitty story and all, but people were still mad

Doesn't Kaze just randomly die?

I suppose Tear Ring Saga does that technically with Luka, but like... it's Luka. No one probably even picked him from among Marlon's knights.

5 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Maybe compared to its predecessors, but even Tellius has its faults.

Of course it does! The Western Tellius and Central Tellius Plates keep pushing against each other, those mountains had to get there somehow!

Our world has fault lines, so why should we expect anything therein to be faultless? 

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

it hands you a powerful prepromote right after The Funny happens who pretty much just serves to replace the loss. You might remember it.

Oh I agree that Archangel makes one mighty fine substitute. Helps that H2 is easy and R2 is generally better off low manned IMO, so the immediate effects of that aren't unrecoverable from.

34 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Our world has fault lines, so why should we expect anything therein to be faultless? 

Because even accepting perfection is impossible is no excuse to avoid critique?

All those extra bags really do make the game so much nicer. Owen's case is of course the big one because he has so many personal possessions that are extremely situational taking up space. But everyone having all the inventory space they need all the time makes the clutter so much easier to handle.

Getting rid of a proper item storage was such a baffling idea. But having more bags most certainly compensates for this mostly.