Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

8 hours ago, Sooks said:

Does everyone here dislike horror? Teehee horror gang, where you at?

Not that I’m one to talk, I only watched the one proper horror movie and it really wasn’t that scary. 

Representing! I played *a* horror game.

(I otherwise don't care very much about horror as a genre, but Darkest Dungeon is a very good game. Everybody should play it.)

Spoiler

EV6qqHr.jpeg

XQO1QVt.jpeg

6q1E3R4.jpeg

v2Y4T75.jpeg

• Replies 177k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

19 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Some Death qoutes

Hide contents

wa6pzkrah5ba1.jpg

0dixdkp486ba1.jpg

d0yvbr2c86ba1.jpg

eid3g4pi86ba1.jpg

8d4go03p86ba1.jpg

Some i like, some not really

If I had a nickel for every time a character was immensely elevated by their dying words in a SRPG, I would have... Probably more than two nickels. But that's two in quick succession, since Covenant of the Plume's Gwendall.

Spoiler

Before she was instant bench material. Now I'm super curious to know what's up with her. Dang, Yunaka, and all it took was your death.

Also I was sure the lesser nobles would be retreaters, but... Dang. Maybe it's just Hortensia.

And Etie's quote is just hilarious.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

11 hours ago, Armagon said:

20230109_182349.jpg

New reaction pic just dropped.

Deal with it Louis is a convincing argument to use him.

10 hours ago, Edelguardiansing said:

AymGox1.jpg

What's the point of this?

To stare at them.

10 hours ago, Edelguardiansing said:

wWV04e4.jpg

So how exactly does character recruitment...work in this game?

I'll give a link here.

Sooks covered it grand. Thankfully because you went Black Eagles you don't have to worry about Caspar and Ferdinand, who you can get to B rank before Part II.

11 hours ago, Edelguardiansing said:

sY4SqHQ.jpg

Well excuse me miss "I want people to be able to rise on their own merits"

It seems like he's doing this quite often. After a while even the most patient of people would start to tire of it.

Alternatively Fuck Ferdinand in particular /s

Also I locked that sword in the convoy ages ago.

I see we both share avoiding using the OP weapons.

QWE6LSv.jpg

Edie, who are you talking to, the door is locked.

She's practicing her monologues, leave her be.

10 hours ago, Sooks said:

Does everyone here dislike horror? Teehee horror gang, where you at?

Not that I’m one to talk, I only watched the one proper horror movie and it really wasn’t that scary. 

I'll admit I'm not someone actively looking at the genre.

It's telling the last thing I can think of that'd maybe count is Nosferatu (I mean, that isn't explicitly kid friendly.).

Seems like this tweet got quite a bit of traction by Vestaria Saga standards. I fear if people treat this interpretation as fact, they may end up disappointed. And I'm most certainly not in favor of giving Kaga credit he doesn't deserve.
As far as I can tell, in the context of VS1 this interpretation of Emilia could actually work. It would even explain why if Adeleide needed an orphan to pass off as her son, she didn't just pick a boy in the first place. Because as far as she is concerned, that's exactly what she did.
But in the context of VS2, it's effectively impossible for Emilia to be anything but a cis girl. Since she is revealed to be the lost princess of Spire who went missing when she was only a few months old. (Somehow no one compares notes and considers the possibility that Theodel's sister with the same name might be the lost princess that they are looking for.) So if she were a transgirl, she wouldn't be remembered as having been a girl back then. Not like anyone could have known.

Maybe it could actually still be seen as trans representation in a wider sense. Emilia was still forced to live as the wrong gender with all the suffering that entails. Even if the motivation of the people forcing that on her was different from what that usually implies.

Edited by BrightBow

3 hours ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Some Death qoutes

Reveal hidden contents

wa6pzkrah5ba1.jpg

0dixdkp486ba1.jpg

d0yvbr2c86ba1.jpg

eid3g4pi86ba1.jpg

8d4go03p86ba1.jpg

Some i like, some not really

Dying while Engaged looks a little silly because the gravity defying is still there, it's particularly hilarious in Celine's case (who I'm surprised can even die in the first place).

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

If I had a nickel for every time a character was immensely elevated by their dying words in a SRPG, I would have... Probably more than two nickels. But that's two in quick succession, since Covenant of the Plume's Gwendall.

Reveal hidden contents

Before she was instant bench material. Now I'm super curious to know what's up with her. Dang, Yunaka, and all it took was your death.

Also I was sure the lesser nobles would be retreaters, but... Dang. Maybe it's just Hortensia.

And Etie's quote is just hilarious.

Spoiler

Anna's also intrigues me, because it's the first time the "Anna family" is brought up in a way that isn't "we have millions of identical twins, isn't that crazy haha". Might suggest there's more to this Anna compared to the previous ones.

Also for Hortensia, that clip probably came from Casual Mode.

3 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

When people nowadays are calling Tomboys trans, i am not surprised they are misinterepting that scene, and will make a big noise when it turns out to not be true

She was forced to pretend to be a boy by the duchess. She even specifically describes being punished for putting on girl's clothes in the script above.
Whether or not she might be boyish ultimately doesn't factor into this at all.

6 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Whether or not she might be boyish ultimately doesn't factor into this at all.

I am not talking about this certain situation, but more about how lately online any character showing even a slight something out of "gender norm", they are seen as trans even if they aren't the case. Has been happening in many communities lately.

Hence i am not surprised the whole scene above got misinterepted an all, even if it's not trans representation at all.

Edited by Shrimpy -Limited Edition-

15 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

When people nowadays are calling Tomboys trans, i am not surprised they are misinterepting that scene, and will make a big noise when it turns out to not be true

7 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

I am not talking about this certain situation, but more about how lately online any character showing even a slight something out of "gender norm", they are seen as trans even if they aren't the case. Has been happening in many communities lately.

Hence i am not surprised the whole scene above got misinterepted an all, even if it's not trans representation at all.

People are desperate for representation. Mainly because they get absolutely none at all. In a perfect world it would be... at least possible to find trans characters in fiction, but we've not gotten quite there yet - especially not Japan, which is a good few years behind in all of these issues. Add to that the opposite type of folks that get raving mad at the mere suggestion of anybody in their precious games not being """""normal""""", and well... People latch on to stretches. You end up with people seeking progressiveness out of the least progressive old man in Japan lol

23 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Seems like this tweet got quite a bit of traction by Vestaria Saga standards. I fear if people treat this interpretation as fact, they may end up disappointed. And I'm most certainly not in favor of giving Kaga credit he doesn't deserve.
As far as I can tell, in the context of VS1 this interpretation of Emilia could actually work. It would even explain why if Adeleide needed an orphan to pass off as her son, she didn't just pick a boy in the first place. Because as far as she is concerned, that's exactly what she did.
But in the context of VS2, it's effectively impossible for Emilia to be anything but a cis girl. Since she is revealed to be the lost princess of Spire who went missing when she was only a few months old. (Somehow no one compares notes and considers the possibility that Theodel's sister with the same name might be the lost princess that they are looking for.) So if she were a transgirl, she wouldn't be remembered as having been a girl back then. Not like anyone could have known.

Maybe it could actually still be seen as trans representation in a wider sense. Emilia was still forced to live as the wrong gender with all the suffering that entails. Even if the motivation of the people forcing that on her was different from what that usually implies.

I mean, it's nothing new. Ol' Shouzou accidentally stumbling into progressive characters and plot points and then undoing them so he can force another ten underaged little sister ships is peak Kaga.

18 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

In this case it might be a misinterpretation, but I wouldn't say it's a leap at all.

Sure, my first thought was that she was forced to live as a boy because of boys taking preference when it comes to inheritance. But this isn't actually explicitly stated anywhere. Nor is the mere concept of male preference even established for this setting at any point. And Hoelun most certainly had no problems becoming the leader of her clan.
So if I were to claim my personal interpretation as fact, I would really just be talking out of my ass.

It's only when you bring the sequel into this that this interpretation no longer holds up.

Edited by BrightBow

17 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

any character showing even a slight something out of "gender norm"

Its normal to have masculine and feminine traits, not sure why people choose to twist that but okay, I guess?

Edited by lightcosmo

4 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Mainly because they get absolutely none at all

Or do they?

I have seen cases in another fanbase where LGBTQ+ characters get ignored in favour of cis/hetero ones and people insisting the cis ones are otherwise (even if it's clearly and official ain't the case). Representation is there but is ignored.

There're some cases even in FE, for example Claude. He acts a bit out of the norm and suddenly people are convinvced he is bi, and when it turns out he wasn't... outrage. Even if other options exist.

9 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Add to that the opposite type of folks that get raving mad at the mere suggestion of anybody in their precious games not being """""normal"""""

Just imagine the reaction if Rosado wasn't a boy.

Assholes are the one seething right now, but it could've very easily been the other side. As much as i hate to say it.

It would've pop corn worthy either way.

6 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Its normal to have masculine and feminine traits, not sure why people choose to twist that but okay, I guess?

Internet_202x.txt

8 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I mean, it's nothing new. Ol' Shouzou accidentally stumbling into progressive characters and plot points and then undoing them so he can force another ten underaged little sister ships is peak Kaga.

I still hold out a little hope that this gets undone.

There is plausible deniability to Theodel's lines, so it's not set in stone just yet.

10 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

People are desperate for representation. Mainly because they get absolutely none at all. In a perfect world it would be... at least possible to find trans characters in fiction, but we've not gotten quite there yet - especially not Japan, which is a good few years behind in all of these issues.

I get that part and it's understandable, what I don't get is when the character is revealed to not be trans (or just LGBT in general), they get mad and accuse the writers of "queerbaiting" like nah bro, you did that to yourself. Guess what's happening with Rosado Fire Emblem right now.

But of course in the 1 out of 10 chance the character speculated to be LGBT actually is, then it's the other side that gets angry because of course they do. Some people are still malding over Juniper Xenoblade 3 actually being non-binary. 

Don't even get me started on yuri shows, there's the argument to be made that (at least some of them) are just for male appeasement but you still get guys who are like "um actually I think those girls are just friends".

You know, I was thinking about how I need to get back to Xenosaga Episode III yesterday, the fact that KOS-MOS entered my dreams last night tells me I really do.😆 Mind, I don't really remember my dreams, nor are they fantastically vivid whatsoever. Nonetheless, KOS-MOS showed up in there. It was kind of crossover situation, since I did for the very briefest glimmer have Bright and Amuro mixed in, but it wasn't SRW proper, seemed more like a JRPG and thus maybe my brain in its wholly irrational REM-sleep state was imagining a Hero Senki situation. This definitely wasn't normal Xenosaga, as for some reason, I recall that in this dream that Shion was long dead for no reason given (again, dream, inherently fragmentary as duck) and that this was important.

Point being- I need to return to Ep. III. Though I'm in the midst of RF5 right now and I don't want to fall off the track with that given my history of not-finishing RFs.

9 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

There're some cases even in FE, for example Claude. He acts a bit out of the norm and suddenly people are convinvced he is bi, and when it turns out he wasn't... outrage.

Didn't his VA once queerbait that Claude might be though? 

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Don't even get me started on yuri shows, there's the argument to be made that (at least some of them) are just for male appeasement but you still get guys who are like "um actually I think those girls are just friends".

And yet you'd probably still find some lesbians and bisexual women who enjoy the shows. Glimpsing Wikipedia on its opposite yaoi, it seems about ~80% of the readership for that is female, which nonetheless leaves upwards of a ~20% male audience -certainly some of them gay- able to find enjoyment from them despite any questionableness

16 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Some people are still malding over Juniper Xenoblade 3 actually being non-binary. 

The whole wiki fiasco was hilarious.

17 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Guess what's happening with Rosado Fire Emblem right now.

Did something new happen there. Wasn't everything ok when the "He" was revealed. Well, besides assholes seething for "out of the norm"

People take sexualities and preferences of fictional characters way too seriously, and as much as i hate to say it, it's a "both sides" situation.

I am not speaking against representation, but as you said

19 minutes ago, Armagon said:

what I don't get is when the character is revealed to not be trans (or just LGBT in general), they get mad and accuse the writers of "queerbaiting" like nah bro, you did that to yourself

This happens way too often, or even more annoying forcing, their headcanons/interpretation down other peeps and calling others slurs when they don't agree with them.

(That said, go ship and write fanfic however you want like, just don't be toxic about and insist about it being canon)

And it's not just about sexualities, either, but anything "out of the norm"

Just imagine something akin to rush hour relasing nowadays. Prime popcorn material. From Racist assholes being angry at minority/foreignes MCs to the "THIS IS CULTURAL APRAPIATION" crowd.

17 minutes ago, Armagon said:

"um actually I think those girls are just friends".

And sometimes the writers are just cowards. I have even seen some cases of the adaptation changing source material to queerbait

10 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Didn't his VA once queerbait that Claude might be though? 

Did he? Would be news to me. 

Then  again i wasn't following Pre relase 3H much as i was busy with my Thesis.

16 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Or do they?

I have seen cases in another fanbase where LGBTQ+ characters get ignored in favour of cis/hetero ones and people insisting the cis ones are otherwise (even if it's clearly and official ain't the case). Representation is there but is ignored.

There're some cases even in FE, for example Claude. He acts a bit out of the norm and suddenly people are convinvced he is bi, and when it turns out he wasn't... outrage. Even if other options exist.

Gay representation has started to become more common recently, but we are talking about trans folks here. Can you think of examples of trans representation in videogames? Or heck, any form of media? Genuine question, because I honestly can't. That is why people latch on to characters like Rosado being trans. Because they just don't get any otherwise. It's impossibly rare.

...actually, I just remembered Lukako, but Lukako's handling is... uh, imperfect. Still, that's one example. A single character in how many pieces of fiction there are. If you've any more I would be happy to hear them.

16 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Just imagine the reaction if Rosado wasn't a boy.

Assholes are the one seething right now, but it could've very easily been the other side. As much as i hate to say it.

It would've pop corn worthy either way.

Rosado was going to cause controversy no matter how he turned out.

Oh well. It's still nice to see how surprisingly good this game is when it comes to diversity, by Japanese standards. Sure, only the royalty of Solm is black for some reason, but back in Sacred Stones we had Jehanna, so a progress has certainly been made. If Rosado isn't wasted on a boring confusion gag, I think I'll take it, myself. Baby steps, and all.

17 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

I still hold out a little hope that this gets undone.

There is plausible deniability to Theodel's lines, so it's not set in stone just yet.

Theodel literally thinks "I can't wait for you to be 18", at this point my only hope is that Karajan clobbers him to death with Nocturne before he can do anything bad to her.

12 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I get that part and it's understandable, what I don't get is when the character is revealed to not be trans (or just LGBT in general), they get mad and accuse the writers of "queerbaiting" like nah bro, you did that to yourself. Guess what's happening with Rosado Fire Emblem right now.

Rosado straight up has the colors of the trans pride flag on his little hair horns. Obviously a coincidence, but I cannot blame people for getting their hopes up. And, personally, I think it's a missed opportunity, too. Rosado would have been a great chance for a trans character. But Japan doesn't even know what trans is yet, so instead we get the tired "hurdy durr are you a boy or a gurl" joke for the billionth time.

I mean, I hope that's not it. In fact, I hope they focus more on him being a dickish diva (no pun intended) and mke him a bit of a jerk, rather than the shitty confusion joke everyone's seen a thousand times. But let's be honest with ourselves here. It's definitely the most likely scenario.

12 minutes ago, Armagon said:

But of course in the 1 out of 10 chance the character speculated to be LGBT actually is, then it's the other side that gets angry because of course they do. Some people are still malding over Juniper Xenoblade 3 actually being non-binary. 

...oof.

Just now, Saint Rubenio said:

Theodel literally thinks "I can't wait for you to be 18", at this point my only hope is that Karajan clobbers him to death with Nocturne before he can do anything bad to her.

There is no ambiguity about the intend, that much is certain. Considering it's preceded by Theodel giving Emilia his mother's ring that his father proposed to her with. Theo is... rather on the nose for sure.

I'm most certainly not holding my breath for Kaga to have a change of heart about the direction of their relationship. But sometimes pleasant surprises happen.

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

..actually, I just remembered Lukako, but Lukako's handling is... uh, imperfect. Still, that's one example. A single character in how many pieces of fiction there are. If you've any more I would be happy to hear them.

There is the very recent case of the Guilty Gear fighting game franchise turning longtime-femboy Bridget trans. Some criticized the move as "Bridget used to insist to others that they're still a man despite looking feminine", yet others are fine with the change. Although not quite the same, there as the case in Guilty Gear as well of the character Testament from what I read changing from male to non-binary, a move which I saw in comments was well received without the good faith/non-bigoted criticism.

My current avi is sorta relevant to the current discussion. But it's combination of big spoilers and underdeveloped, without actually being bad.

10 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I mean, I hope that's not it. In fact, I hope they focus more on him being a dickish diva (no pun intended)

Now wouldn't it be something if a game approaching not-ultra-mega-unfathomably-deeply-niche had a non-offensive character proudly in drag in it? Alas, right now I can't see that ever being the case, what with the US finding drag under reactionary bans and literal physical attacks in some instances.

6 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Can you think of examples of trans representation in videogames?

I think this is the point where one could bring up Naoto in Persona 4 and then run the hell away from the nuclear fallout that is inevitably going to occur.

Spoiler

The TL;DR is that Naoto initially very much comes across as a trans boy, but the game then clarifies that, nonono, she is just angry that patriarchal Japan will never take her serious as a woman detective, which is then basically ignored in their support convos social link in favour of the perspecitive that they just lost their passion for solving mysteries.

24 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Can you think of examples of trans representation in videogames? Or heck, any form of media? Genuine question, because I honestly can't. That is why people latch on to characters like Rosado being trans. Because they just don't get any otherwise. It's impossibly rare.

Since this is a website mostly for talking about Fire Emblem, I thought I'd throw in that Kyza is portrayed as non-binary in the Japanese release of Radiant Dawn, and uses they/them pronouns in his Meet The Heroes.

Straight (or non-binary) from the wiki page:

• In Meet The Heroes, Kyza is referred to using they/them pronouns.
    • Because of this, Kyza can be considered the first non-binary character in the Fire Emblem series.
Edited by 3PercentCrit

28 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

And yet you'd probably still find some lesbians and bisexual women who enjoy the shows.

Tbf, there have been some yuri shows that are genuine about it recently. It also helps with the accessibility, yuri shows each season have about a 60% chance of popping off whereas yaoi shows don't.

19 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Did something new happen there. Wasn't everything ok when the "He" was revealed. Well, besides assholes seething for "out of the norm"

Well there are some people coping that he isn't trans. This one in particular strikes me as being terminally online cause like

20230110_081259.jpg

Bro what the *fuck* is "egg coded".

19 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Can you think of examples of trans representation in videogames? Or heck, any form of media? Genuine question, because I honestly can't.

Lily in Zombieland Saga, Juniper in Xenoblade 3, Bridget in Guilty Gear (official retcon), Madeline in Celeste (official retcon), a really buff Granblue Fantasy character, uhhhh..... that's it I think. I suppose I should bring up the Matrix being a trans allegory as a whole.

Also this one's a rather unique case but The Doctor (and Time-Lords in general). Because Time-Lords can change gender during regeneration and while it's implied that the gender they were originally born with is their "default", Time-Lords are effectively gender-fluid. This was an idea explored back in the 70s but wasn't put into practice until the 2010s with the introduction of The Master's first and currently only female incarnation "Missy".

22 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

If Rosado isn't wasted on a boring confusion gag, I think I'll take it, myself. Baby steps, and all.

His English voice isn't exactly feminine so we're already past the "feminine men must sound feminine" stage.

23 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Rosado straight up has the colors of the trans pride flag on his little hair horns. Obviously a coincidence, but I cannot blame people for getting their hopes up.

See cause like that's the sort of thing I'd expect from Western creators, they tend to be a little more blatant about who's LGBT. Even if....not in the most flattering ways.

But if it's from Japan, it's 100% a coincidence. Well, 99%.

42 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

This happens way too often, or even more annoying forcing, their headcanons/interpretation down other peeps and calling others slurs when they don't agree with them.

I agree with this.