• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

34 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Literally no other Zelda game has a three-day cycle and a very extensive collection of side quests.

But these dont change the dungeons at all. 

Their "layout" is still OoT formula as far as MM goes.

Edited by Lightcosmo

16 hours ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Ya know

This game already got a few Beriwck mechanics

couldn't they have gotten Berwick Fog as well lol

Oh, if only. Or just no fog.

...Though, honestly, I would've taken fog being a one-chapter gimmick. You know the chapter. It's the one and only chapter in existence that's actually made me feel like the fog serves a purpose beyond being a complete annoyance. Not to mention it actually felt designed with fog in consideration, unlike again, every other fog map ever, where you can just take the fog off and it works plain better.

I kinda look forward to that map in this run, actually. I want to see how it measures up in maddening. On hard it toed the line between annoying and good in places, but it was generally fun.

12 hours ago, Armagon said:

Normal pick is Hiya Papaya

Too normal. Zelkov beckons.

12 hours ago, Armagon said:

meme pick is Mage Knight Citrinne.

I did, however, consider Citrinne. Since Gregory will not exist, she could fill a similar "high power sage" niche. Especially since I can keep her cool base dress, instead of the abominable sage outfit. We'll see. She does join next chapter, after all.

3 hours ago, Benice said:

OH GOD I'M ON MY WAY TO NEW YORK

AAAAAAAAAAAAA-

Courage, Ben. I am certain you have what it takes to survive a stay in the United States.

5 minutes ago, Lightcosmo said:

But these dont change the dungeons at all. 

Their "layout" is still OoT formula as far as MM goes.

I am going to disagree for one major reason, as MM's real world time based 3-day cycle has literally added the dimension of time to the layout of the dungeons.

5 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

I am going to disagree for one major reason, as MM's real world time based 3-day cycle has literally added the dimension of time to the layout of the dungeons.

But nothing changes, the layout stays the same, the puzzles stay the same, the enemies stay the same, the treasure locations stay the same.

Fun fact: we didn't know about the Divine Beasts until the final BotW trailer and even then we didn't know what they actually were then.

52 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Correct me if I'm wrong- aren't many of the dungeons a central room(s) with a save point and radial rooms branching off them?

With several save points here and there but yes. It's often why the dungeon item is the first thing you usually get. Heck it's deadass just Skyview Temple that gives you the map first.

but I'm unsure of what people generally thought of SS's approach

They were too busy complaining about motion controls probably.

know I dreaded the Silent Realms

I love it personally.

I wonder how the HD replacement controls are

Took me a bit to get used to it after having B be the sword button for practically every game but it works really well.

21 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

did, however, consider Citrinne. Since Gregory will not exist, she could fill a similar "high power sage" niche. Especially since I can keep her cool base dress, instead of the abominable sage outfit. We'll see. She does join next chapter, after all.

I'm running Speedtaker on her, as well as Mage Knight's Chaos Order.

10 minutes ago, Lightcosmo said:

But nothing changes, the layout stays the same, the puzzles stay the same, the enemies stay the same, the treasure locations stay the same.

Ok that's literally every game in the series but I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about execution. Because

17 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

you cannot approach Majora's Mask the same way you approach Wind Waker. You cannot approach Skyward Sword the same way you approach Twilight Princess.

Meanwhile, Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker and Twilight Princess can all be approached pretty similarly. The same goes for the 2D Zeldas but as I've said before, I feel that the "Zelda formula" works better in 2D.

2 minutes ago, Lightcosmo said:

Having a time limit changes the nature of a puzzle. Having a time limit changes the nature of combat encounters. Having a time limit changes the incentives of searching for treasure.

47 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

...Though, honestly, I would've taken fog being a one-chapter gimmick. You know the chapter. It's the one and only chapter in existence that's actually made me feel like the fog serves a purpose beyond being a complete annoyance. Not to mention it actually felt designed with fog in consideration, unlike again, every other fog map ever, where you can just take the fog off and it works plain better.

Oh yeah i admit it works there

47 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I kinda look forward to that map in this run, actually. I want to see how it measures up in maddening. On hard it toed the line between annoying and good in places, but it was generally fun.

I didn't find it too different. More of a challenge yes, but not more annoying or anything

18 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Having a time limit changes the nature of a puzzle. Having a time limit changes the nature of combat encounters. Having a time limit changes the incentives of searching for treasure.

Does it? I mean, all that happens is if your time rus out, you start a dungeon from the starting point, which is what happens if you simply die anyways?

3 hours ago, Benice said:

OH GOD I'M ON MY WAY TO NEW YORK

AAAAAAAAAAAAA-

♫ I've never been to New York ♫

This was literally two weeks before he died, what the hell

4 minutes ago, Lightcosmo said:

Does it? I mean, all that happens is if your time rus out, you start a dungeon from the starting point, which is what happens if you simply die anyways?

Yes, they added a whole new game over condition you have to play around. Do you not find that to be a significant change?

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Have fun!😃

Thank you!

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Your plans are probably already set in stone, but I've been there a few times before. I'm no travel guide, but I could perhaps offer a modicum of useful information.

Thanks for the offer! We do get a lil' free time to spend in Rockefeller Centre, Central Park, and Times Square, but that's about it.

1 hour ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Oooh, Sounds exciting! Have fun in the Big Apple Benice.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Courage, Ben. I am certain you have what it takes to survive a stay in the United States.

It's my first time in a while in ol' 'Murica, so I appreciate it!

54 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Say hi to the Mario Bros.

I hope to!

21 minutes ago, ping said:

This was literally two weeks before he died, what the hell

F

I wish I had gotten a warning that I would have to fight Midnite 3 times in a row. Even ended up having to use a few items on the 3rd round.
This would have been really easy with Rabbid Peach.

There is just so much wildlife in the game. It's so fuzzy and wholesome that my frozen, cynical heart can't handle it.

59 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Yes, they added a whole new game over condition you have to play around. Do you not find that to be a significant change?

Right, but what does it actually DO to hinder the players experience? Its just a glorified GO condition.

12 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

I wish I had gotten a warning that I would have to fight Midnite 3 times in a row. Even ended up having to use a few items on the 3rd round.
This would have been really easy with Rabbid Peach.

It's rather fascinating how perspectives differ. In my run I ended up using Rabbid Peach very sporadically because her attack was pretty bad and her healing just struck me as rather redundant when money rather literally grows on trees. Items and the occasional full team heal were, to me, just so much more optimal than wasting one of three slots on Rabbid Peach.

12 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

There is just so much wildlife in the game. It's so fuzzy and wholesome that my frozen, cynical heart can't handle it.

Hah! Now that's one hell of a statement. But yeah, I see where you're coming from. They put a lot of effort into the open world sections.

12 minutes ago, Lightcosmo said:

Right, but what does it actually DO to hinder the players experience? Its just a glorified GO condition.

Who...who said anything about hindering?

12 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

It's rather fascinating how perspectives differ. In my run I ended up using Rabbid Peach very sporadically because her attack was pretty bad and her healing just struck me as rather redundant when money rather literally grows on trees. Items and the occasional full team heal were, to me, just so much more optimal than wasting one of three slots on Rabbid Peach.

I try not to use items. They feel like a crutch.

SN7sHHU.jpg3ZaBX9l.jpg

Get rekt, nerd 😎

oviyQlu.jpgjKghMlm.jpg

Get rekt, everybody 😎

VAgYAVN.jpg

Well, OK, Schnute did literally nothing in the Clair fight, but I'm sure EQ from Mamoswine's attack stat will come in handy eventually.

NEVIvPe.jpgJXVnNOx.jpg

k0AHQUC.jpgWfWKHqi.jpg

Just not the right crowd to send out an Ice/Ground type. Decently cool team for Clair, 6.8/10, but Ivy and Alear walked over it pretty easily.

q6cGHNm.jpg6J8CP6a.jpg

In the series "Really Appropriate Randomness": The real dragon master of Blackthorn City.

S5zCwk4.jpg

And in the series "Really Disappointing Gift Pokémon": ExtremeSpeed Dratini became a Mismagius, i.e. a Pokémon with low attack and high speed. Plus, it's a stone evolution, so it doesn't learn any attacks per level-up and the only not-terrible Heart Scale attack is Magical Leaf.

Oh well, Elite Four time. Everybody is Lv.40-42 at this point, so the 20% level increase for all trainer Pokemon actually makes Johto's level scaling much more reasonable. The only Pokemon left to evolve is HAL-9001 (Lv.45), which will hopefully happen en route to the Indigo Plateau.

I could have killed Rosado. But some people decided to miss. His personal at work, clearly. There's a certain bit of cosmic humor that Louis, of all people, was affected by it. You know, his original character and personal skills being what they are. Then again, there's also the actor... it's just multiple layers of humor to my failure to obtain a steel axe, really. Eh. It would've gone straight in the well anyhow.

Regardless. I sacrificed a couple of slim weapons I had lying around and in exchange, obtained my first food weapons. Sadly, it's the least visible ones, the scroll and the tome. I do at least hope for some funny particle effects from the tome.

...Plus:

bw5KNBiX_o.png

The food tome has Sommie in it. This automatically makes it the best weapon in the game. If I could name weapons, I'd definitely call this one Sommiestorm. Mod when?

1 hour ago, BrightBow said:

I try not to use items. They feel like a crutch.

Fair enough.

28 minutes ago, ping said:

NEVIvPe.jpg

lol it looks like Snorlax is holding Alear's foot. Oh God it's Framme in a fursuit--

3 hours ago, Armagon said:

I love it personally.

Stealth makes me nervous, knowing I would have to repeat the entire trial if I got hit once was 😬.

Apparently, the Silent Realms were going to be dungeons unto themselves, but the devs thought it'd be better as a parallel plane of existing areas. For whatever changes exist, the map remains familiar, which lets you focus on getting from light droplet to droplet, instead of figuring out the area layout as you stealth.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Oh yeah, the last stretch of Skyward Sword reeks of "the player can't be done with the game yet, make up a new scenario".

I never finished SS, and exactly where I dropped it was upon witnessing that I could have to fight The Imprisoned a third time. I didn't realize you could arrow the toes on my second fight with it so it was very frustrating. I did the third visits to Eldin and Lanayru, but The Imprisoned led to me take a 😐 pause which I didn't not intend to be forever, yet it has been.

2 hours ago, Benice said:

Thanks for the offer! We do get a lil' free time to spend in Rockefeller Centre

Nintendo New York is right there.😉

Screen-Shot-2023-04-12-at-1-40-27-PM.png

2 hours ago, Benice said:

Central Park,

Which just so happens to be lined with a few museums actually. "Museum Mile" is a thing.

I doubt you have time or perhaps pocket cash to go into any of them. But, on the microscopic chance you did, I'd pick the New York Historical Society. It's much smaller than the gargantuan Metropolitan Museum of Art, something you don't have to dedicate an entire day to seeing, and still quite nice. It has a floor dedicated to a vast collection of Tiffany stained glass lamps, which would be sure to light up your world.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

22 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I could have killed Rosado. But some people decided to miss. His personal at work, clearly. There's a certain bit of cosmic humor that Louis, of all people, was affected by it. You know, his original character and personal skills being what they are. Then again, there's also the actor... it's just multiple layers of humor to my failure to obtain a steel axe, really. Eh. It would've gone straight in the well anyhow.

It'd be funny if it worked on him during Chapter 7... but not Chapter 10.

Louis:

Edited by Acacia Sgt