Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

Oh hey, there's a screenshot LP of 13 Sentinels at the LPArchive.

25 minutes ago, gnip said:

Ruben: "PoR is so slow it's basically unplayable."

Also Ruben: "PoR isn't slow enough you fucking scrub."

If you used Brom the game would be at least 10 times faster. And funnier. Time goes by faster when you're having a good time, y'see. A boost that is missing when you only use all the normie picks.

• Replies 177.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

If you used Brom the game would be at least 10 times faster. And funnier. Time goes by faster when you're having a good time, y'see. A boost that is missing when you only use all the normie picks.

Doesn't work as well with PoR, really. Because even the worst units are, at worst, OK at fighting (hell, Rolf was slightly useful on his joining map), their distinguishing feature is "make things slower", not "make things harder", because they lack movement or the ability to do enemy phase combat. There's no Wendy or Amelia or Yubello in sight (and I've gone on the record saying that this a weakness of the game).

6 minutes ago, gnip said:

Doesn't work as well with PoR, really. Because even the worst units are, at worst, OK at fighting (hell, Rolf was slightly useful on his joining map), their distinguishing feature is "make things slower", not "make things harder", because they lack movement or the ability to do enemy phase combat. There's no Wendy or Amelia or Yubello in sight (and I've gone on the record saying that this a weakness of the game).

I will tell you a secret: I did not use Brom or Rolf either in my run

Actually, I had held the faint hope that this was the reason I didn't enjoy PoR. Using Tanith instead of full on memes. Alas...

4 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Is it that much more difficult than a vanilla game?

I might end up trying this hack out when I find a good time for it (perhaps even with that Nuzlocke option if I am feeling spicy...)

Without a doubt. Of course i'm no Pokexpert so take that as you will!

They have plenty of options you can set! I don't really understand them though. Xd

Path of Radiance has the most generic bases and growths ever. Nothing interesting to say about units beyond their class.

Then one month later Berwick Saga released and completely clowned on it. The two Spear Knights from the prologue are more different than any two PoR units.

...Game over'ed against grunts.😑

I get I forgot I could've boosted to save myself, but still. I don't have any problem with GO'ing against scrubs, Etrian Odyssey has done that many, many times to me, and I kept coming back.😆 Nonetheless, some enemies are feeling like they take too many turns to kill even targeting weaknesses, consuming a little too much EP per fight. And I don't like how they can break me so fast.

After two days of trying to pick up the controller to beat Engage and noping out five minutes later, I have decided.

...Yeah, screw this, it's time to begin warpskipping. Shame for Goddess in Shadow, but I'm sick of this. There is such a thing as too much game, and this is it. Future playthroughs are definitely gonna call for some paralogue skipping. And fuck the DLC lol

1 hour ago, BrightBow said:

Path of Radiance has the most generic bases and growths ever. Nothing interesting to say about units beyond their class.

Then one month later Berwick Saga released and completely clowned on it. The two Spear Knights from the prologue are more different than any two PoR units.

To be fair, Berwick Saga's unit design is out of this world. It's one of the game's highlights. It'd be an unfair comparison for the most unique casts FE has to offer to it, let alone the most mindless game in the series.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

And I don't like how they can break me so fast.

If this is XS, as I had said earlier, you can't just hold onto boost meter until boss fight comes up, you have to use them.

https://i.redd.it/qppjebf7bhz91.jpg

Me when I remember what happens to Kohaku in Ciel's route

13 hours ago, Armagon said:

I think despite that, i beat the latter first. I also have way more hours in Ocarina compared to Link's Awakening. Which makes sense cause i did three runs of the game back then. So weird how i just.....don't vibe with Ocarina that much anymore. And the usual consensus seems to be that those that start the series with Ocarina, well, it becomes the undisputed best game in the series for them.

10 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I can relate. Remember how I started FE with Blazing Blade and now it's among my least favorite games? Sometimes it happens.

Understandable. Pokemon Gold was my first pokemon game and it's probably my least favorite.

11 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

So, when do I stop fighting the Capuas over and over...?

Just wait until you get to SC and Ouroboros appears

2 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Hmm, I see the one-shot didn't got much reception so far. Ah well...

I'm sorry, I'm not much familiar with Castlevania

And I still need to finish Cavern of the Fae

19 minutes ago, Newtype06 said:

I'm sorry, I'm not much familiar with Castlevania

And I still need to finish Cavern of the Fae

It's alright, I'm used to it.

On 5/23/2023 at 10:54 AM, gnip said:

And of course, you can tell me to shut up if you're sick of unsolicited advice.

Oh no I greatly appreciate it and is often when I look forward to when posting an update on the game. The worst part about playing pre-nested tooltips paradox games is not knowing what half of the stuff does and having to go through 45 minute long videos or articles just to figure out a specific thing. so I love little tips like this.

21 hours ago, Armagon said:

I wonder how farther along we would be if that assassination attempt on Ronald Reagan was successful.

SFcrhnK.gif

Edited by GuardianSing

Spent three hours trying to warpskip chapter 24 and couldn't even do it. I'm too lame at FE for intricate warp strats.

I can't believe I've caught myself missing the days of infinite range, large supply warps that made it piss easy to skip stuff. At this point I might just put Engage aside for a month or two lol, I really have zero energy left to play more of this.

Seems like it's also the anniversary of Tear Ring Saga. The killer app for the Playstation.

Probably should play Berwick Saga again to celebrate. I think that game's anniversary is just two days away anyway.

Unexpected rude awakening moment aside, I am enjoying XS again.

I haven't completed the Labyrinthos dungeon yet, IRL matters and a low battery stopped that, but the cutscenes therein aren't overlong yet juicy with plot details. Exactly why I need to be fully aware playing XS. I'm inevitably going to forget the specifics of the minutiae later 😅, but I want to say I paid attention and comprehended them the first time they were spoken of. I'm getting delectable notes of Jungian psychoanalysis/philosophy, and while past-travel concerns me b/c it has potential to turn into a narrative hot mess, so far, Ep. III hasn't devolved into that.

My eyes lit up when the E.S.s came back online.😁 My steel soul shines brightly. The combat is easier and simpler too than on-foot I'm starting to see. However, that isn't any different than XCX, where once you get a good understanding of it, ground combat becomes more fun and you realize it has more nuance. (Ep. III is still likely the best Xeno in terms of mech combat.) -I would sure like more sophisticated Skell combat in X2, but going back to XS, I accept it for what it is. I don't always need the most complicated of combat systems to be entertained by it. I don't understand why Monolith insisted on such strangely heavy use of camera angle changes and unnecessarily sweeping E.S. movements in combat, yet, although the attack animations are decidedly basic and Real, they still draw out a raw kind of enthusiasm from me. The animus of my brain regards this as outlandish, but think I'll side with the cerebral anima on this one.😆

To continue XS tonight when the recharge is finished because E.S. excitement still lurks within me, or hold off b/c ever-deepening evening and wait until tomorrow? Well, the E.S.s ought to be a magnet with the power to totally will me into continuing, so maybe tomorrow. -Criticize me as I am for playing at too piecemeal a pace.

14 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

. I recognize the barrenness of its overworld nowadays,

It's that but also I think the dungeons are just so mid.

14 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

And I know, MM also has Young Link. Except that game, while I had fun still, due to the slight introduction delay and MM's turnoffs (the whole Ikana Canyon area, the apocalyptic time limit), it didn't quite gel with me so well. So as a result, my bond with YL is rooted more so in OoT, even if MM certainly contributed to it nonetheless. 

You could also argue Young Link in Ocarina and Young Link in Majora are two different characters. I mean, they're the same character but in Ocarina, Link has that whimsy. By the time of Majora's Mask, Link has been tempered by his experiences in Ocarina *plus* reliving the same three days over and over in an attempt to stop the inevitable.

I always got that vibe. Heck, you can see what I mean by comparing the official arts.

6 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

However, that isn't any different than XCX, where once you get a good understanding of it, ground combat becomes more fun and you realize it has more nuance.

I think the main difference is E.S combat is only for specific areas whereas you can choose to board a Skell or not.

Edited by Armagon

6 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The combat is easier

Just wait until later game, the bosses start to get very tough.

Very important for a late game boss for the E.S fights, make sure you have Fire resistance up disks! At least one for every E.S! You will regret it otherwise.

Edited by Lightcosmo

1 hour ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Time to Disengage, huh.

Probably. I hate to quit with three chapters left, because I tend to have difficulties returning to games I drop like this, but I can't keep going, I'm not having any fun at all.

45 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Seems like it's also the anniversary of Tear Ring Saga. The killer app for the Playstation.

Eyyy, there they are!

Oh God, there they are.

Why would someone draw fanart of this shit? They had to be Japanese...

45 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Probably should play Berwick Saga again to celebrate. I think that game's anniversary is just two days away anyway.

Now that would be a great idea. I would suggest something, but I don't think I can come up with anything you've not already done lol

7 minutes ago, Armagon said:

You could also argue Young Link in Ocarina and Young Link in Majora are two different characters. I mean, they're the same character but in Ocarina, Link has that whimsy. By the time of Majora's Mask, Link has been tempered by his experiences in Ocarina *plus* reliving the same three days over and over in an attempt to stop the inevitable.

I always got that vibe. Heck, you can see what I mean by comparing the official arts.

Ah yes...

image.png

The Link Who Has Seen Too Much.

This whole composition plays into the macabre/creepy atmosphere people -to the point of overstating it- associate with MM. The nonsense background scenery that looks nothing like anything seen ingame. And unless Termina has the Four Sword buried somewhere, the inexplicable presence of four Links, three of whom hold the masks of the other Links. You could brush it as "nonsensical artwork showcasing the important transformation masks aspect of the game", yet I prefer to go with interpretation that sees them as contributing the illogical bizarreness of the composition. And of course, cast into darkness by the light of the (unusually normal) Moon, the Skull Kid leaps as if dancing. Whereas the untransformed Link is tormented by the strangeness of the scene, the Skull Kid is above it all, yet embraces the fey, or is even its master.

10/10 official key artwork.🤓

...This said...

image.png

Some of the official artwork does retain an element of the childlike whimsy, and of strength, even a newfound "cool" facet that neither OoT Young nor Adult Link ever had. Link is still physically a child, but they did save Hyrule already and experienced a sort of rushed adulthood. They might still shout in agony every time they don a soul-fusing mask, but they're used to being a hero. Their courage, wisdom and power has already been proven through three gem dungeons, six temples, two mini-dungeons, and the castle of the King of Evil. Link can be kinda confident and relaxed about it now. -Far different than how they began OoT.

For the 3D remake...

image.png

This as you're well aware became the new key art. It used the old image above as a base- big bright full moon with Skull Kid dancing, four Links, tall buildings. Yet the MM3D artwork is brighter, more polished, refined, the edges of MM have been smoothed -like the gameplay and ingame graphics themselves. The scene has been zoomed out and expanded, featuring actual buildings and people from the game. It loses the overwhelming uncanniness of the 64-era composition, but it makes gains elsewhere, even if it feels more "ordinary".

As for Link himself, he is tormented no more. You can see that he is a child, but his eyes are serious. Having his face partly covered by the Mask of Truth does add a hint of mystery, but a warmer sort of mystery that is not so unfriendly and bizarre. It gives Link a little action here too, as if he is just taking off the mask after using it (or is he putting it on?), he is doing something. Young Link here I would say is not a victim of Termina/Majora Mask's freakish atmosphere, rather, he appears rather strong here. Around and beneath Link is the world of Termina and its people, above in the distance is the Skull Kid, who intends for them all suffering and lunar demise. Link stands straight below, closer to the observer, worry not, the Hero of Time is here. He isn't saying "I will cut that damned Moon in half!" He will say that once he dons the Fierce Deity Mask., he offers a cooler, calmer, softer assurance. He will stop the Skull Kid, he will end the madness, his feet as steady as his promise.

...Sorry if I go too deep/long-winded with this video game artistic critique.😅 

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

I think the main difference is E.S combat is only for specific areas whereas you can choose to board a Skell or not.

True, that is very important. E.S. fights run parallel to ground combat they can't ever intersect, Skells can outright replace on-foot fighting 90% of the time (and very often demolish smaller enemies with ease b/c they weren't made to oppose Skells). E.S. fights can't trample over ground combat the way Skells do.

53 minutes ago, Lightcosmo said:

Just wait until later game, the bosses start to get very tough.

Very important for a late game boss for the E.S fights, make sure you have Fire resistance up disks! At least one for every E.S! You will regret it otherwise.

By ease, I meant the non-boss fights. My memory says I lost once or twice against the first not-E.S.-tutorial boss. Lack of revive means I'll have to be extra cautious on healing in case a boss goes crazy with the damage at some point in the fight. 

And thanks for the tip.😀

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

By ease, I meant the non-boss fights. My memory says I lost once or twice against the first not-E.S.-tutorial boss. Lack of revive means I'll have to be extra cautious on healing in case a boss goes crazy with the damage at some point in the fight. 

And thanks for the tip

They get quite difficult as i said

Another few tips, make certain you have nullify evade on someone! And the detection disk to check enemy resistance! 

These will make your life easier, trust me.

Lastly... Dont take monumental risks in E.S fights, play it safe more often than not, enemy bosses get crazy with the one shot Anima Awkening attacks later on.