Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

7 minutes ago, gnip said:

I'll notify you on how often I'm going to have to restart Clash! once I get there, if it'll make you feel any better.

Isn't Clash! a PoR map? 

Oh yeah, it's the giant rectangle with a bazillion enemies that are about as pathetic as the rest of PoR's enemies.

Yeaaaah, that'll be a nice way to motivate me to finish Engage after 72 hours of loading screens drained my willpower: remind me that it can always be slower. And worse.

FE12: "You couldn't live with terrible loading times and an excess of content. Where did that bring you? Back to me."

• Replies 176.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

16 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I wonder how farther along we would be if that assassination attempt on Ronald Reagan was successful.

Fun fact:

The dude who did it has a YouTube channel. 

...Huh?

13 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Isn't Clash! a PoR map? 

Oh yeah, it's the giant rectangle with a bazillion enemies that are about as pathetic as the rest of PoR's enemies.

Don't click the link though, you'll just be nauseated by my unit choices

18 minutes ago, Benice said:

Fun fact:

...Huh?

HE DIDN'T GO TO PRISON?

*Googles* oh he got spared with an insanity plea.

Oh near-incomprehensible benign Existence that came from the higher plane of another realm, as though antithesis to the comparable diffuse essence that reside here and hath driven souls to madness. Grant me calm and concentration enough to offer due respect to the ancient finale once more, though compromised it may be and imperfect I am. Let me see this through, with eyes firmly upon it, savoring it in itself, and not turning those optical receptors towards what lay beyond, neither that bound by the chi-eta-nu-omega, nor by wholly unrelated matters.

FeShiKoShuElReNo-veritas!

*Still have nerves, over playing a video game.*😅

I resumed XS Ep. III. Fought Mr. Not-Force-Choke, and after all the subsequent scenes were over, saved. Could I have played more? Yes. The battery was still at more than 60%, some of which had been spent beforehand randomly listening to a good deal of Days of Ruin ost for the mind’s tranquility, and then Arisu in Fluxtown and Brave New World for things sorta-related to XS. I should've played more, but I felt like taking a pause before Shion & co. start screwing up the past -or will she? Time for an eternal recurrence nod? Willy and the 4Ts don't seem to care, so I doubt the good guys can truly muck anything up. I take it Kossy explained offscreen how she, without anyone on the Elsa noticing, woke up in another world, teamed up with some old acquaintances and new friends, clashed with T-elos, and contributed to saving the multi-dimensional world. It put both a smile on my face and was a little boring to see her in XS itself in her final and most familiar form. The overall story presentation of XS I continue to praise, just my emulation technical issues endure.

I'll continue it... tomorrow, I hope my foot remains in the door.

47 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

resumed XS Ep. III.

Nothing wrong with playing in sections! Hopefully you can make it to the end!

Edited by Lightcosmo

I saw someone wearing a suavemente Ganondorf shirt today, it's not related to anything but I thought I'd mention it.

Since the 30th live action Japanese Godzilla movie is releasing later this year, I'm on a mission to watch all of them before it releases (though unlike when Armagon did the same thing, I'm watching them in order). Godzilla Raids Again was alright, but it kind of forgot it was a Godzilla movie for ten minutes.

I'm impressed how much plot Cold Steel III fits into its cutscenes, specifically the rate at which mysteries are introduced and resolved. Even questions I didn't know I had get acknowledged. I'm having trouble keeping track of them all...

5 hours ago, Newtype06 said:

Start with the classics

I figured it was going to be one of those games but since I asked about it, I'll look into it eventually.

4 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

It's totally fine, more people need to use CDI clips, revive 2008

You think the CDi is your ally? You merely adopted the CDi. I was born with it, molded by it. I didn't see a real Zelda game until I was already a man. (Not that I actually played any of the CDi games, mind you.)

This is probably the closest we'll get to Nintendo acknowledging it nowadays.

3 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I... really don't feel like restarting chapter 24 of Engage. Man, three chapters are going to take me the rest of the year... And I can't move on and play something else until I do it, or else I can't say I've beaten Engage Maddening! It's so frustrating.

You must perform the optimal Engage Maddening strategy: warpskip the whole chapter and defeat the boss on the first turn.

Edited by Lightchao42

5 hours ago, Lightcosmo said:

It's not just a G/S/C edit so you would have to read up to see if it interests you.

ccdocs/Documentation.md at master · ShockSlayer/ccdocs · GitHub

Whoa, Crystal Clear still receiving updates???? Wasn't this the romhack that made up a new Elite 4 out of nowhere?

Also, if I choose Eevee as my starter, will I receive another one from Bill/Celadon?????????

1 hour ago, Lightchao42 said:

I figured it was going to be one of those games

What do you mean "one those games"?

https://img.youtube.com/vi/R174XsipZ8Q/maxresdefault.jpg

1 hour ago, Lightchao42 said:

but since I asked about it, I'll look into it eventually.

Remember that Kohaku is best girl

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Fwvs6rEWwAA0iTH?format=jpg&name=small

I was going to make a kind of guide with some interesting VNs, but I'm glad I didn't have to lol

3 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I take it Kossy explained offscreen how she, without anyone on the Elsa noticing, woke up in another world, teamed up with some old acquaintances and new friends, clashed with T-elos, and contributed to saving the multi-dimensional world. It put both a smile on my face and was a little boring to see her in XS itself in her final and most familiar form.

Me but seeing T-elos be boring in Xenosaga compared to everywhere else.

I think I'll go upload the one-shot already. Though, hmm, still not fully satisfied with the title ideas I have...

51 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Care to explain the first tweet? I don't get "the pipeline" is.

As for the second, nothing is guaranteed. No two opinions ever need be always together, there will be exceptions. The Internet will teach you this.

2 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

That first poll question.

I'm not overly shocked, but I still feel 🕰️💀 looking at the most popular response.

For me it was the GBA, but it's not counting Handhelds from what I see.

Then the answer would be... hmm... I think Nintendo 64? I'm trying to recall. Earliest was the Wii, with the GameCube version of Twilight Princess, at the least.

1 hour ago, Newtype06 said:

Whoa, Crystal Clear still receiving updates???? Wasn't this the romhack that made up a new Elite 4 out of nowhere?

Also, if I choose Eevee as my starter, will I receive another one from Bill/Celadon?????????

I really dont know, i'm not good enougg at Pokemon to make it that far!

Yes, I believe so.

Tears of the Kingdom might be the most peak adventure game tbh.

15 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Care to explain the first tweet? I don't get "the pipeline" is.

Internet slang for when someone gets sucked into a new interest.

16 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I'm not overly shocked, but I still feel 🕰️💀 looking at the most popular response.

9 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

For me it was the GBA, but it's not counting Handhelds from what I see.

Then the answer would be... hmm... I think Nintendo 64? I'm trying to recall. Earliest was the Wii, with the GameCube version of Twilight Princess, at the least.

For me, it was the 3DS. For the longest time i've said that Link's Awakening DX was my first Zelda game but according to my 3DS play history:

• Link's Awakening DX: first played 12/23/2011
  • Ocarina of Time 3D: first played 12/25/2011

I think despite that, i beat the latter first. I also have way more hours in Ocarina compared to Link's Awakening. Which makes sense cause i did three runs of the game back then. So weird how i just.....don't vibe with Ocarina that much anymore. And the usual consensus seems to be that those that start the series with Ocarina, well, it becomes the undisputed best game in the series for them.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Internet slang for when someone gets sucked into a new interest.

Thank you. I don't venture beyond SF for chatting, so I don't keep up on the latest casual language.😅

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

For me, it was the 3DS. For the longest time i've said that Link's Awakening DX was my first Zelda game but according to my 3DS play history:

• Link's Awakening DX: first played 12/23/2011
  • Ocarina of Time 3D: first played 12/25/2011

I think despite that, i beat the latter first. I also have way more hours in Ocarina compared to Link's Awakening. Which makes sense cause i did three runs of the game back then. So weird how i just.....don't vibe with Ocarina that much anymore. And the usual consensus seems to be that those that start the series with Ocarina, well, it becomes the undisputed best game in the series for them.

I'm not sure that's the case with me. I recognize the barrenness of its overworld nowadays, and I think my perpetual cowardice puts a damper on the experience b/c of certain dungeons.

Technically I started with OoT, but really I started with everything from LoZ to OoT, it was all there when I was playing video games at my grandparents' house with fellow child relatives. And MM came into the picture not too long thereafter, so it might as well qualify, as should the Oracles. I'd say all of those should classify as "the Legend of Zelda during my pure innocence earliest childhood", meaning "under the age of 10". I could very well toss in WW-FSA-MC as well, given how they felt "magical" to me, but I have to draw the "first" line somewhere. And TP totally isn't in it, it came late enough to feel substantially "different".

This said. As I type this laying in bed, I have a fanart poster directly over my head right behind me, consisting of the six Sage Medallions arranged in their pause menu hexagram with the Triforce in the middle with the Shadow and Spirit in the wrong places only after buying it did I realize. For years, I forget when I bought it (I think whatever year the Syrian Civil War broke out I can oddly remember, so 2011? More than a decade then.), I've slept beneath it every night. And at the foot of my bed, on a straight line with the medallions to assure proper elemental + almighty energy flow to and from the Sacred Realm, my framed official Symphony of the Goddesses poster.:

f03adf9100237.560c87acba320.jpg

Part of the reason I love this poster is because of the three fairies representing the Golden Goddesses on display. I remember for one of my childhood birthdays, a young cousin of mine gave me a typed and framed (I think) copy of the creation story of Hyrule as told by the Deku Tree in OoT. The scene itself came to stick with me hence my dislike for the later invention of Hylia. It is my beloved Genesis tale. I know I had some cheap small rectangular pendant with the image of the Triforce stamped on one side.

And lastly.:

image.pngimage.jpgimage.jpg

I remember having a black t-shirt with the last of these images on it. If my brain isn't making up this minute detail, I don't think the fabric was the most comfortable. As for the other images, since I had my game guide and was a child with a liking for pretty pictures, I saw the other two. ...Actually, flipping through the OoT Nintendo's Player's Guide I still have, I don't see the Zelda & Link anywhere. Yet I KNOW I SAW IT! So where?!? On what paper did I look over it frequently?😠

Young Link retains a certain personal specialness to me. I was his age (if YL has an official age), he was mine, I'd say -in retrospect- it made Link... relatable. Perhaps the vibe of Kokiri Forest and the Lost Woods was child-friendly whimsical too. This language is probably too dramatic, but if I had to pick a video game character to represent my early childhood self, I would without hesitation accept Young Link as its manifestation. He is Eternal Youth to me. I could go so far as to call him my Christ Child, the epitome of sweet innocence, yet paired to divine power that elevates him above common Man.

*Ahem* Point being that while I wouldn't consider OoT my favorite despite it being in the dead-center of my attention as a child, there are bits of it that still stick with me.

-And I know, MM also has Young Link. Except that game, while I had fun still, due to the slight introduction delay and MM's turnoffs (the whole Ikana Canyon area, the apocalyptic time limit), it didn't quite gel with me so well. So as a result, my bond with YL is rooted more so in OoT, even if MM certainly contributed to it nonetheless. 

Now, growing up with Kirby, I had Adventure, DL2, DL3, and 64. Oddly, not the origin of all in DL1. And of course I had Super Star! SS continues to shine with a nostalgic brightness like few others, it is this that is the absolutely retro Nintendo crown jewel I elevate on high. Not to discount the Kirby games since Return to Dream Land, don't get me wrong, they're all fun, and meatier than SS I would say.

Just now, Acacia Sgt said:

He's ten, if I recall.

That's what I've thought. 10, with a seven years timeskip for Adult Link to be 17, the idealized age of Japanese young adult heroism. -But I then thought I read somewhere it was later stated that YL wasn't 10.

Just now, Interdimensional Observer said:

That's what I've thought. 10, with a seven years timeskip for Adult Link to be 17, the idealized age of Japanese young adult heroism. -But I then thought I read somewhere it was later stated that YL wasn't 10.

The cloest would be that ten years is what's stated the war happened, which drove Link's mother to flee into the forest. I don't remember how young Link was, but I think it was mentioned he was still a baby.

So, when do I stop fighting the Capuas over and over...?

Alright, Chapter 1 is done. Will continue next time.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

9 hours ago, Benice said:

Fun fact:

...Huh?

That's... kind of amazing, I won't lie.

Also the first comment is already a murder pun. The internet's veil of anonymity really desensitizes people to an obscene degree, doesn't it...

9 hours ago, gnip said:

Don't click the link though, you'll just be nauseated by my unit choices

Fucking nauseating indeed. Where is Brom? Where is Rolf? Where are the memes?

6 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

You think the CDi is your ally? You merely adopted the CDi. I was born with it, molded by it. I didn't see a real Zelda game until I was already a man. (Not that I actually played any of the CDi games, mind you.)

I mean, the only Zelda game I have played for more than an hour is the one with four Links that came with my first gem 3DS. Had a lot of fun tossing second Link off cliffs.

3 hours ago, Armagon said:

So weird how i just.....don't vibe with Ocarina that much anymore. And the usual consensus seems to be that those that start the series with Ocarina, well, it becomes the undisputed best game in the series for them.

I can relate. Remember how I started FE with Blazing Blade and now it's among my least favorite games? Sometimes it happens.

This is probably the closest we'll get to Nintendo acknowledging it nowadays.

If yes had won they would have released Morshu merchandise. My Uncle from Nintendo told me. For shame, Zelda fanbase.

You must perform the optimal Engage Maddening strategy: warpskip the whole chapter and defeat the boss on the first turn.

I am genuinely planning on it. Not because I don't think I can beat the maps that are left, but because I am just sick of this game. 72 registered hours, probably over 100 due to resets, and so much of it was spent fucking loading and running around Somniel doing chores. Engage has the same amount of maps as Berwick, except prologue and Celica don't count, so it really has less. And yet I'm gonna have double the playtime by the end, and Berwick is already a long-ass game. In my first run I was blinded by it being better than the monastery, but there is no denying it anymore - Somniel sucks too.

...Speaking of Garreg Mach, it's all fucking Three Houses's fault. Preparation screens just aren't hip anymore. Nah, we need every FE from here on to have a large, unnecessary hub where I do the same things I could've done in a prep menu, except it takes me 40 minutes instead of 10. And then another 10 waiting for the next map to load. Backtracking to the PS1 era, woo! Who needs time! The more padding we add, the better we can brag about our game lasting 100 hours!

I swear, 12 might retake its place as first just because it doesn't waste my time.

1 hour ago, Acacia Sgt said:

So, when do I stop fighting the Capuas over and over...?

lol there's a reason I called them Team Rocket

Alright time to talk a little about how I feel about Sekiro.

It grew on me, but it is an odd mix of things. Stealth is surprisingly important to the game (it reminds me of Shadow of Mordor in that way...), as you can get free deathblows on enemies from stealth, and dealing with groups tends to be very difficult without weeding a few out with stealth first. Part of this is that the split between Posture and Vitality, which makes for great duels, as the balance between dealing vitality damage (which can be difficult as enemies tend to block/deflect too, so you have to sneak them in after dodges, deflect, Mikiri counters, or simply finding creative openings) to slow down posture recovery, so you can break posture for deathblows is an engaging mechanic once you get it, but if there are multiple opponents they can force your attention away one to give it time to recover posture, which tends to force you to do the more difficult task of depleting enemy vitality instead. Also your vitality tends to go down fast, so even minor mistakes are crippling at first (honestly, at times it feels like things do more damage than they should in general), but you do get more health from facing minibosses (usually, you tend to get Prayer Beads from them which act kinda like piece of hearts, so ever 4 you get an extra 20% of the initial health pool, and with 40 bead available you Vitality triples by the end of the game), and you have a Souls like healing item in the gourd, which starts with one use but can get up to 10 by the end, and a big one is the Breath of Life: Light skill (which shouldn't be a buyable skill with how vital it is), which lets you recover vitality from deathblows, which really increases your range when getting stealth kills on the adds along the way.

The boss fights are really good, my favorite being the older Great Shinobi Owl fight, in large part as it feels the most like a fight between equals, but the posture-vitality systems takes getting used to. Odd as this sounds defense tends to be your most offensive options, as things like the Mikiri Counter (which shouldn't be a buyable skill with how vital it is), and getting your deflection timing right tend to be the best means of depleting enemy posture, but you need to press in as posture recovers over time, and getting some counter strikes in to slow down that recovery (or stop it, as activity of any kind tends to stop it while it is happening), not to mention being able to bait an enemy response with your aggression tend to be vital. Admittedly there are fight where depleting vitality (or most of it) tends to be your best option anyway, with things like the Demon of Hatred, the Illusory Corrupted Monk, and the Guardian Ape, or some of the miniboss fights (most notably the Drunkard ones, the enraged Ogres, and the Headless come to mind), so it isn't all about doing the perfect response to enemy attacks. The prosthetic tools are extremely useful once you know when to use them, but very easy to forget about them, don't sleep on them, with the firecrackers as my clear favorites.

It has a rather solid narrative, but I do kinda regret going for the best ending first, as it feels like the worse ending (not necessarily the worst...) are a bit better setup with the parallels between characters. Actually I am about to get into some more major spoiler territory narrative wise, so I think I will hide this section away in a spoiler box

Spoiler

There are a bunch of interesting parallels between key characters, for instance with both Emma and Wolf/Sekiro having been orphans taken in from battle field by Shinobi, but while Wolf was introduced to his foster father Owl by him scaring his face with a sword, Emma was offered a riceball by the Orangutan/Sekijo, while Owl would enforces his will on Wolf with the iron code, and training as a Shinobi, the Orangutan recognized how bad a father he would be for Emma, and let the healer Dogen formally adopt her, and train her in the healing arts. There is also a parallel between Sekiro and Sekijo, both shinobi whom lost their arms and had to use Dogen's masterpiece, the Shinobi Prosthetic (in fact Sekiro is a Japanese Portmantau of one armed wolf, and Sekijo of one armed Orangutan), although where this parallel shines through the most is in the worst two endings, as the Orangutan lost his arm when he was almost consumed by the demon of Shura, with the Sword Saint Isshin still claiming the removing of that arm to stop Shura as one of his crowning achievements; in the worst ending Sekiro succumbs to Shura instead facing both the elderly and decrepit Isshin, and Emma (who trained with Isshin specifically so she could end Sekijo's suffering if he even succumbed to it again, which in sense he does in the Demon of Hatred fight, with Sekijo even thanking you for taking the burden of killing him in this monsterous form away from Emma) as boss fights trying desperately to prevent that awful end, whereas the second worst ending has Sekiro ending his days carving the Buddha (just like Sekijo does for the entirety of the game) to try and stave off Shura as long as he can, while playing caretaker for the Shinobi Prosthetic for some future Shinobi in need of it just like Sekijo did. Finally there is an obvious parallel between between the Divine Heir of the Dragon Heritage, Kuro, and the Divine Child of Rejuvenation at Senpou Temple, both cursed with immortality they can spread to others, but as both come to believe, immortality is an aberration that consumes humanity, and both have been forced into seclusion, and tormented by the actions of people's obsessions with the immortality they could grant, made even crueler by them both being children, and that is setup by the best ending having the two becoming one to journey to the west to return the mystical immortality to the divine realm from which it came.

At its core, on all but the worst ending, this is a game about ending the curse of immortality, and it is a curse in this game. The immortality of the Dragon Heritage consumes the life of those you interact with and care about, spreading a Dragon Rot upon the NPCs as you die (Emma eventually discover a way of curing them, but it will cost you, and if you keep dying, it will come for them again...), and the immortality of the Rejuvenating Waters is actually an infestation from a parasitic centipede puppeteering your corpse. Although I do want to emphasize that despite that despite that more physical explanation for it, there is a more mystical side to the Rejuvenating Water as well, as the origins of the infestation has its source from the Fountainhead palace, the gates to the Celestial Realm the Divine Dragon resides. It is also more explicitly a defilement of Buddhist principles, with the monks of Senpou temple having abandoned the Buddha believing that the way the infestation has gummed up the wheels of Samsara, the cycle of reincarnation, is a sign that they must have reached enlightenment already, and while there is a logic to it, it is so obviously the opposite of the Buddha's teachings. In a subtle potential inversion of those idea the head of Senpou Temple finds a way to die despite that immortality, with him expressing regret for the horrible things done to create the Child of Rejuvenation if you reach him early, and I think the implication is he finds death despite the infestation by reaching actual enlightenment and turning away from his cursed path. Sadly that ending on the middle two endings requires either the death of Kuro, or the death of Sekiro (that gifted immortality acting as a chain preventing Kuro from truly severing his immortality without the very permanent severing of their bond, as that bond was used to artificially save Wolf's life)

As part of the successor "trilogy" to the Souls series it is in the odd position of being the one that has strayed the most from the souls formula, with a completely different experience point system then the rest of them, with no souls/echoes/rune recovery like mechanic after death, with it also being spent on a skill tree instead of the more traditional Souls stats, and being stuck with the same main weapon, but there are things that resonate with the old series. The posture system seems an extreme extension of the old poise system of the Souls game, the game is also more about animations than numbers (as I think I will describe it), the Gourd is just like the Estus Flask, there is still some obscurity of lore hidden in item description, and there are some clear thematic links as well...sorry, I think I will have another spoiler box for this one

Spoiler

The idea of Shura is very reminiscent of the idea of going hollow in Dark Souls, as at its core what drives one to Shura is to be consumed by finding that your acts of killing are pointless, as you become a demon that kills just for the sake of it. The "sins" of Sempou Temple feel very reminiscence of the sin Gwyn pulled in Dark Souls, that Dark Souls 2 described as the "first sin", as at its core it is about subverting the natural lifecycle of their world, an artificial life extending the age of Fire, made far clearer why it is a sin by Sekiro being able to put it directly in the context of Buddhist philosophy.

Overall, I think it still deserves that position, as one of the Souls successors, but it is the most unique of the successors I have played, although to be fair, I have yet to play Bloodbourne as it is still PS exclusive.

I don't know if its on your radar @Benice (as I know you enjoyed Dark Souls and Elden Ring), but I will end up recommending Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, but it does take some getting used to, but once it clicks, it is a fantastic experience. If you need any advise as you play (or anyone else on the thread that plays it on my recommendation), I have some to share, but I get the funny feeling it will be a while before you get around to it  I think I will leave with one last quote from the game, as I think I will try out some of the New Game Plus cycles on this one.

"...there are no hard and fast rules. You just win your battles. That alone is the most important rule of the Ashina style."

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

For what its worth my first was on the GBC with the Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX, and if you insist on not counting handheld consoles...I think it was the Gamecube, as I seem to remember it taking me a while to track down any of the of the N64 ones (we got that console very late into its life cycle), but that was like 4 or 5 Zelda games in (Link's Awakening, Oracle of Age, Oracle of Seasons, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past & Four Swords, depending on if you count the Four Swords part a separate game depends on if it was 4 or 5...) .

4 hours ago, Lightcosmo said:

I really dont know, i'm not good enougg at Pokemon to make it that far!

Yes, I believe so.

Is it that much more difficult than a vanilla game?

I might end up trying this hack out when I find a good time for it (perhaps even with that Nuzlocke option if I am feeling spicy...)

24 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Fucking nauseating indeed. Where is Brom? Where is Rolf? Where are the memes?

Ruben: "PoR is so slow it's basically unplayable."

Also Ruben: "PoR isn't slow enough you fucking scrub."