Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

2 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

However they are using their personal accounts also for their work - mixing personal life with work life is something they decided to do.

More of a sad necessity of their name being in the credits...

• Replies 177.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

9 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

More of a sad necessity of their name being in the credits...

Pen names are a thing, aren't they - even if ideally they shouldn't be needed....can translators use pen names?

Tbh, put a "not for work" on bio and just block anyone who talks about work stuff on it. There're many ways you can deal with it if you want to use said account only for personal life, and not for work and to later also intentionally piss off fans using same account.

Edited by Shrimpy -Limited Edition-

4 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Tbh, put a "not for work" on bio and just block anyone who talks about works stuff on it. There're many ways you can deal with it if you want to use said account only for personal life, and not for work and to later also intentionally piss off fans using same account.

A bit awkward to do when twitter became a major (and almost necessary) networking tool for creatives.

1 minute ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

A bit awkward to do when twitter became a major (and almost necessary) networking tool for creatives.

And i agree - but you can easily make 2 accounts, 1 for work, and 1 for personal life - and if anybody comes with work stuff to your personal account, or vice versa - just block them or tell them off or to contact during working hours, etc.

What i am trying to say - even creatives have to be professional

6 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

And i agree - but you can easily make 2 accounts, 1 for work, and 1 for personal life - and if anybody comes with work stuff to your personal account, or vice versa - just block them or tell them off or to contact during working hours, etc.

What i am trying to say - even creatives have to be professional

Just out of curiosity, have you tried looking up to see how many of these translators do have a work and personal account?

1 minute ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Just out of curiosity, have you tried looking up to see how many of these translators do have a work and personal account?

I admit, no. So i might possibly mistaken here

That still doesn't excuse their behavior.

Spent the morning rerunning through the game, made it back to the vamp. On Easy, one level higher, my one hit dealt maybe 50% more damage of a very minuscule amount, was eviscerated 0.4 seconds slower than before.

Adol's journeys are the fever dreams of the victim of a fatal bat bite. I think I'm done with Ys I.

1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Spent the morning rerunning through the game, made it back to the vamp. On Easy, one level higher, my one hit dealt maybe 50% more damage of a very minuscule amount, was eviscerated 0.4 seconds slower than before.

Adol's journeys are the fever dreams of the victim of a fatal bat bite. I think I'm done with Ys I.

F

Just watch the rest maybe and jump to Ys 2?

Just now, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

F

Just watch the rest maybe and jump to Ys 2?

That's exactly what I was thinking.

I get it's a game from 1987, playtesting wasn't exactly a thing back then, but how did Nihon Falcom flub up like that?😮 

And, I can appreciate Falcom's decision to update the music and visuals while preserving the original gameplay. Good video preservation in a way. However, how did they not think to take such an unfair boss, and adjust it to have a few more frames of vulnerability when it has next to zero as is? Or at least package such a tweak in a selectable mode? I get Chronicles+ is a decade old so it probably wasn't thought of at the time, but it wouldn't have been a bad idea to slot in an impossibly-easy All Enemies Get 1HKO'd toggle feature as some Final Fantasy remasters and the recent Baten Kaitos one nowadays have.

2 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Literally the second paragraph in the image you shared opens with "You can be disappointed in the localization choices"...

Then why get all pissy about it? No point in that. Unless you have an actual reason?

13 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

However, how did they not think to take such an unfair boss, and adjust it to have a few more frames of vulnerability when it has next to zero as is?

I am not sure about this, but someone told me it's somehow a bug with modern systems? Don't exactly know

But not like the next bosses are that much better. Ys 1 is not a well designed game - all the fun is in Ys 2

1 minute ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

I am not sure about this, but someone told me it's somehow a bug with modern systems? Don't exactly know

Hmm... this reminds me of about the N64 with DK64, and a wholly unrelated thing with PCs with Giten Megami Tensei (an old spinoff notable for having h-scenes).

In the first case, certain bonus games were made with the 64's lag in mind. On a modern system, things proceed smoother and faster than before, making the minigames much more difficult on the human reflexes (pray your form of playing DK64 fakes the old lag for this).

In the second case, it was something like a ATB-styled boss having their attack frequency tied to the processing or whatnot of your computer. Since modern PCs are much faster than old ones, it can assail you at rate significantly exceeding what was originally intended.

Maybe a similar situation with Ys I? Not so much a bug, as it is a natural outcome that the original devs could not have expected at the time?

1 minute ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

But not like the next bosses are that much better. Ys 1 is not a well designed game - all the fun is in Ys 2

Shame Adol had such a rough start. I was looking forward to this game history dive, I wasn't feeling forced into it.

I'll wait a bit until giving II a whirl. With optimism renewed.🙂

I was gifted Mass Effect: Legendary Edition by a friend.

EA demands I install their app and make an account to play the game I have on Steam.

Ahh, Triple A gaming. How I love ye...

3 hours ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

don't generalize and include people who are just asking/criticizing?

This assumes in good faith.

3 hours ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Or let's go to a more popular example: Gundam Witch. Everyone was up in arms when executives went "there're no Lesbians here", including "weebs", because everyone knows the executives disregarded the authors work

There were definitely some weebs who were pleased to think that it wasn't gay. But they were outnumbered.

On the flip side, Zombieland Saga. The earliest example of this i can think of. Lilly is trans, is stated in the original text. "NOOOOOOOO Crunchyroll just added those lines cause they're woke".

One of the interesting things about FE4 is that usually you are the one controlling the positioning of fights a lot more than in other games.

When most of the enemies take three hours to get to your position i guess.

The game tells you from the start that defending the castles is something you are going to have to do. Its like complaining about accuracy being awful when you ignore the weapon triangle, and keep having your axe unit attack a Sword Master.

But most of the time you don't actually have to defend your castles. It hardly comes up that often. It's mainly just

• Ch.2 (Erynis squad)
  • Ch.9 (Wyvern fun)
  • Endgame

And like that's really it. Those are the only times where your castle can be in any real danger. Because you're taking the castles as if it were a checklist, most of the time, you don't really have a reason to go back. I guess for the three chapters listed, you could pull an FE7 Hector and add Defend as a condition but like.....eh.=

I disagree with this sentiment a lot. That would be moving away from the more strategic movements of Genealogy back to the more tactical movements of other FEs.

The strategic movement in question

Opera_Snapshot_2024-01-04_131258_www.goo

(Wait what do you mean there's a legitimate bike route for all that) the thing with FE4 maps is that every time they've reappeared scaled down in another game, they play out way better. I found better enjoyment playing the scaled down, cut in half prologue map that you can play in Awakening's DLC better than the original version (and that's with all the insane broken stuff you can do in Awakening). When FE4 Ch.10 returns in Engage, scaled down and cut in half, guess what, it still plays better (tbf every legacy map in Engage plays better than the game of origin, even crimes against humanity like FE6 Ch.21).

In both examples, the enemy placement is positioned much better than in FE4 itself, because these versions don't have to rely on 5x5 blocks of axe mounts. Infantry units actually get to do something instead of being left behind in the dust by their mounted comrades. You actually stand a chance of rescuing the villages intact instead of having bandits start the map already on the village.

Edited by Armagon

8 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I really wish he didn't do that. Feeble explanation or no, it's not a fun time when he does it.

Oh absolutely.
Too bad it's very much pick your poison with the series currently.

These I do find it hard to still hold on to my love of Path of Radiance when IS is so committed to keep treating it's characters like crap. Sure would be nice if they simply forgot the games before Awakening even existed, instead of exploiting them.

sanaki%20injured.png

TIL you can block the enemy reinforcements in chapter 8-main and screw yourself out of Kay.

That's unfortunate. And a flaw with my favorite strategy game of all time that I cannot wiggle my way out of criticizing. Oof...

7 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

TIL you can block the enemy reinforcements in chapter 8-main and screw yourself out of Kay.

That's unfortunate. And a flaw with my favorite strategy game of all time that I cannot wiggle my way out of criticizing. Oof...

TRS had a similar dude. The other ballistican guy. He's enemy reinforcements but he takes forever to show up. Is it the same deal?

Just now, Armagon said:

TRS had a similar dude. The other ballistican guy. He's enemy reinforcements but he takes forever to show up. Is it the same deal?

Kay is an NPC, but she's important to permanently recruit Sherpa. Even if you miss her you still get him as a merc but that's kinda dumb. This is one thing Kaga learned, in Vestaria Saga he makes very sure to make any and all tiles that spawn things or are important to an event or scene unpassable.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

The strategic movement in question

Opera_Snapshot_2024-01-04_131258_www.goo

Skill issue. the majority of strategy games I play have this as the full map.

world.jpg

4 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

Skill issue. the majority of strategy games I play have this as the full map.

world.jpg

Where's my Civ Antarctica Edition?

Oto0MW8.jpg

Turns out I accidentally cheated :lol: In the Fade, the game lagged a bit after I clicked a Font of Dex, I clicked a second time, and apparently, I managed to use it twice that way. I never invested in Dex, so I should be at 10 (base) + 1 (human) + 4 (# Font of Dex) = 15. Now I have 1% extra avoid, very OP. And maybe 0.5% more accuracy if I go full Aura Mage Tank and swap to a physical weapon.