Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

18 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Thaddy would indeed become pretty damn worthless. He'd have to survive a whole enemy phase to be able to steal anything, and the guy can't take a hit at all.

And no. I don't think so. Berwick's more fun this way.

I imagine the sequential turn system would likely make things easier for Thaddy. Because getting enemies close is easy enough. With Provoke, Hide, Evasion, and access to Throwing Knives, Thaddy has a great loadout to get people to come to him without getting himself in danger. The problem for Thaddy is what happens after he uses the Steal command. But without the simultaneous turn system, Thaddy is not immediately threatened after stealing.

But not like I ever played through the game with the sequential turn system yet. That's no doubt gonna feel really awkward.

• Replies 177.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

40 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I think the closest would be being all together in the recording booth, so you can see how the other actors are emoting and stuff. As well reacting in real time.

As far as I know that basically never happens.

40 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I mean, SillA and bancO.

TaburetE is the one I was thinking of, actually. Then there's stuff like el programa, el día, la foto, la mano... It makes very little sense overall, it's just random. Someone decided it's this way and the rest of us just accepted and perpetuated it lol

35 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

lol I scroll down and the first response I see is:

"Translation, "we will continue to have substandard hardware that can't keep up with current gen games, but also, this is the only place to get your Zelda and Mario, so suck it.""

...May I promote that the "unique proposition" be the revolutionary concept of releasing games on PC so I never have to buy another 400$ plastic paperweight again, Ninty? Eh? Eh?

19 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

I imagine the sequential turn system would likely make things easier for Thaddy. Because getting enemies close is easy enough. With Provoke, Hide, Evasion, and access to Throwing Knives, Thaddy has a great loadout to get people to come to him without getting himself in danger. The problem for Thaddy is what happens after he uses the Steal command. But without the simultaneous turn system, Thaddy is not immediately threatened after stealing.

But not like I ever played through the game with the sequential turn system yet. That's no doubt gonna feel really awkward.

Hmm. I suppose I'd have to play it to see how it really feels for sure. Not that I intend to, not any time soon.

8 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Hmm. I suppose I'd have to play it to see how it really feels for sure. Not that I intend to, not any time soon.

I'd give it a whirl just see how it is.

-Except for the file I still have perhaps forever unfinished. And changing the turn order up wouldn't really fix any issue I was having, methinks. And being a poor player of BS, I wouldn't truly be able to detect the nuanced differences between the two styles that one such as yourself would. And I couldn't really judge from one or two maps, it could take some time to reach a battle where the turn order change really weighed on how the map played out.

2 hours ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Yh games released in the last 2-3 years are defo worse in the dub department

Reverie is in a whole 'nother league with its horrible voice work.

25 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

As far as I know that basically never happens.

I think I remember reading up cases where it did. Simply put, 'never' is also not true.

25 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

TaburetE is the one I was thinking of, actually. Then there's stuff like el programa, el día, la foto, la mano... It makes very little sense overall, it's just random. Someone decided it's this way and the rest of us just accepted and perpetuated it lol

Yeah, for other vowels it gets muddied.

Can't explain them all, but Foto is short for Fotografía. The genre doesn't change just because we're shortening the word.

Mano comes from Latin Manus, which is feminine. We didn't change it, simply put.

Día is the same. Latin Dies is masculine.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

20 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I think I remember reading up cases where it did. Simply put, 'never' is also not true.

Hence the "basically." It may happen once in a blue moon but it's not the usual approach at all.

21 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Yeah, for other vowels it gets muddied.

Can't explain them all, but Foto is short for Fotografía. The genre doesn't change just because we're shortening the word.

Mano comes from Latin Manus, which is feminine. We didn't change it, simply put.

Día is the same. Latin Dies is masculine.

Hm. Well, there does seem to be some origin.

...But then, who said it was femenine and masculine for Latin lol? Not to mention, what exactly does it convey for this noun to be masculine and that one to be femenine? Ultimately, Brightbow is right that it's completely pointless. But we humans are beasts of routine, so this isn't likely to go away any time soon.

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

20240207_180609.jpg?ex=65d681ef&is=65c40

Luigi no!

Why

Just

Why wouldn't they use Bowser there

Why Loogi

6 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Hm. Well, there does seem to be some origin.

...But then, who said it was femenine and masculine for Latin lol? Not to mention, what exactly does it convey for this noun to be masculine and that one to be femenine? Ultimately, Brightbow is right that it's completely pointless. But we humans are beasts of routine, so this isn't likely to go away any time soon.

In some cases, it acts as a meaning toggle.

It's easier to say El Gato o La Gata over The Male/Female Cat. Shorter and faster. Sometimes, it saves you a homonym. El Cura (de la iglesia) obtuvo La Cura (de la enfermedad).

And there could be other reasons gender is used.

Why

Just

Why wouldn't they use Bowser there

Why Loogi

Because the ACW is contextualized as a war between brothers.

1 minute ago, Acacia Sgt said:

In some cases, it acts as a meaning toggle.

It's easier to say El Gato o La Gata over The Male/Female Cat. Shorter and faster. Sometimes, it saves you a homonym. El Cura (de la iglesia) obtuvo La Cura (de la enfermedad).

And there could be other reasons gender is used.

Hmm. True enough. I suppose there are pros and cons to everything.

1 minute ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Because the ACW is contextualized as a war between brothers.

...Well. It goes deeper than I had figured.

But why make Loogi the confederate dammit

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Hmm. True enough. I suppose there are pros and cons to everything.

At the end of the day, it's an assignable value. And like any value, all variations can be their own thing. Thus expanding the options by using less words. Since one word can carry several meanings. That's why homonyms exist. So yeah, pros and cons.

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

...Well. It goes deeper than I had figured.

Someone had to be... and good luck putting Mario as the Confederate.

Sorry Ruben but your GOAT is a Lost Cause sympathizer.

Another example of a variable we use in Spanish are accents. By changing which syllable we stress, the meaning changes.

Like, if you don't use Patata, then you have Papa (potato) and Pa (father).

29 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

8f2vtz.jpg

When you're such a big fan of Kaga that you remake his games with the sexism the game was always meant to have. True dedication.

1 hour ago, Shaky Jones said:

When you're such a big fan of Kaga that you remake his games with the sexism the game was always meant to have. True dedication.

FE4 remake gonna go crazy.

@Acacia Sgt My image-sharing service is down right now, so no pictures this time, and I'm going to have the log be rougher and shorter.

Episode 55- Requiem for the Victims

• The Red Space looked great as a backdrop Sazabi. Otherwise, it inflicts 5% max HP damage to every unit every turn, including to their limbs. Not terrible, annoying more than anything if the -5% Attack, Hit & Evade, and -1 Move bother you once you lose like 25% of limbs' HP.
    • Getter was forced here, except there was absolutely nothing the seemed to justify it to me. I thought they were going to use the Getter Rays of life to negate the Red Space or something -they didn't.
  • I destroyed Deathgaia (70k HP) twice, after which I misinterpreted what Professor Hazuki and Amuro were saying.
    • To stop the regeneration, I thought I had to smash all of Deathgaia's unit's limbs. Nope! Nothing that creative. I wasted three turns on that. All had to do was kill Deathgaia two more times, killing him for good and removing the Red Space.
    • I almost stopped playing this tonight because of my little misunderstanding, kinda frustrated me.
  • Muge Zorbados showed up with reinforcements, only 80k HP, no stronger than any other boss since like... that Edon evil minister.
    • Reading Zorbados's profile a statement to the effect of "power is not known". ...He never one-on-one fought Dancouga did he? Just did some spirit-channeling and then got Dancoukougaken'ed?
    • After being defeated, Muge fled into his castle, summoned another six grunts, I killed them quicjkly.
    • Then, Muge channels the spirits of the dead even stronger than before, but Shinobu starts praying. The heroes notice the spirits of the dead are coming to their aid (Kamille noticed first, how appropriate), and Emperor Muge is caught off guard by this. This "requiem for the spirits of the victims" moment fully heals everyone's HP and EN.
    • Muge comes out of his castle, no stronger than before, but he end up packing GC's Haro. Easily squished.
    • Despite being the last big anime bad to die, Zorbados and this whole battle was kinda boring.
  • One turn after Zorbados appeared the first time, Reggiane dimensional-warped into the battle. With her with three Jaku Beasts, ...and three Mechabeasts and three mass-produced Gilgazamunes.
    • Sieg confirmed that Gadisword contracted those groups, but this is strange. The heroes don't understand this at all.
    • The Gilgazamunes had "Unknown" with a black silhouette for the pilots. Same as AP with its final battle forces. Bleh.
  • If you kill Reggiane/drop her to 30% HP, or attack her with Sally or Sieg, she gates back to Gadisword. ...And Sally follows Regianne, Sieg and Akimi follow her. The 16-year-old girl still believed that Regianne was a lone bad apple in Gadisword, Herluga would listen to the possibility of coexistence.🤦‍♂️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♀️
  • Battle over, Muge Universe collapses, the heroes escape the planet, Sally is still missing. They choose to warp to Gadisword's current dimension using Sieg's data.
  • And Sally *SIGH*. Herluga pretends to listen to her, and it sounds like he'll warp Gadisword to near Earth, so back to the good old mother planet for the finale. ...Which I know is still at least 4 battles away, owing to a Sub-Episode at 58.
    • Sally then got Celica'ed. I HATE THIS KIND OF THING! Reallllllly ruins this scenario's end for me, awful aftertaste.😑 Xenoblade Chronicles 2 had me basically trying to rush through the Spirit Crucible and Morytha Cliffs areas, because of what was happening elsewhere to our lady Aegis.
    • Admittedly, I was okay with it in OG2 with Seolla and Ouka. -But those two were already under some conditioning from the very start. They weren't suddenly damsel-***ked later, even if the severity of their mental manipulation was strengthened (to the point of Ouka becoming basically a mindless robot).

15 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Reading Zorbados's profile a statement to the effect of "power is not known". ...He never one-on-one fought Dancouga did he? Just did some spirit-channeling and then got Dancoukougaken'ed?

If I recall, Requiem for Victims was an OVA made after the TV series ended, which means they didn't actually defeat Muge until then. Maybe if Muge had been defeated at the end of the TV series a more proper battle could've happen? Maybe.

But then, Dancougar was mostly about subverting the Super Robo anime formula. So having the main villain undefeated was perhaps the expected thing. But since you still can't leave them undefeated, the OVA had to come to finally wrap things up.

• Muge comes out of his castle, no stronger than before, but he end up packing GC's Haro. Easily squished.

I know SRW already poked fun with it in a 4Koma with Haman, but the idea of Muge carrying a Haro of all things just sounds hilarious. XD

• The Gilgazamunes had "Unknown" with a black silhouette for the pilots. Same as AP with its final battle forces. Bleh.

*insert two nickels speech here*

Honestly, that was so weird to do in A. They already dared to have Meganoids pilot Gespensts, so why not put Shadow Mirror pilots in the non-OG mechs anyway?

Edited by Acacia Sgt

37 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

But then, Dancougar was mostly about subverting the Super Robo anime formula. So having the main villain undefeated was perhaps the expected thing. But since you still can't leave them undefeated, the OVA had to come to finally wrap things up.

How so, exactly?🤔 SRW might not be good at catching on those subtleties. I'm listening.

37 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I know SRW already poked fun with it in a 4Koma with Haman, but the idea of Muge carrying a Haro of all things just sounds hilarious. XD

It was Don Zauther who had the AP Haro. -Or Olban if you went to Little Bharm instead.

Do Gundam people treat Haros like teddy bears? If so, with how much snoozing the Don does, maybe Koros tucked one under his crossed arms?

Tangent, the Meganoid lady in charge should be called "Kore" meaning "maiden", "Kouros" means "male youth" in Greek. And both terms refer to types of Ancient Greek statues, the male ones entirely nude though the females were fully dressed.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

How so, exactly?🤔 SRW might not be good at catching on those subtleties. I'm listening.

I think I did mentioned this one before, but the Dancougar itself doesn't show up until like the halfway point of the series. Usually Super Robot shows would have the titular mecha appear with full fanfare right at the beginning at the first episode, but Dancougar doesn't do that. So no Dancougar in Dancougar for quite a while.

It was Don Zauther who had the AP Haro. -Or Olban if you went to Little Bharm instead.

Do Gundam people treat Haros like teddy bears? If so, with how much snoozing the Don does, maybe Koros tucked one under his crossed arms?

Something like that. Haro's are a combination of toy/pet-robot, and it's been like that for most Gundam series which it appears at. Since Haro also kinda serves as a franchise mascot for Gundam as a whole. What a Haro can do tends to vary, as it's a result of people with the know-how basically customizing/reprogramming the commercial Haro. Which results in some Haro even being capable of helping one pilot a Mobile Suit. Which SRW translates as them being a power part. As you saw in 30, Üso's Haro is one such example, though more a sub-pilot than a power part, heh.

Tangent, the Meganoid lady in charge should be called "Kore" meaning "maiden", "Kouros" means "male youth" in Greek. And both terms refer to types of Ancient Greek statues, the male ones entirely nude though the females were fully dressed.

I mean, that's probably not the meaning they were thinking when naming her.

https://www.timeextension.com/news/2024/02/the-original-version-of-nihon-falcoms-ys-is-coming-to-switch

03bd68a534afc2980bff7044651d446c7e1e60d64cacc7218cfa2fe20daec541.jpg?sw=1368&strip=false

The original visuals are... pixels in a style I'm not used to.😅

Shame the bosses can scorch off most players. -I need watch the rest of this short game, maybe while exercising. But I still haven't done so since I've been SRWing so much.😆

19 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

What a Haro can do tends to vary, as it's a result of people with the know-how basically customizing/reprogramming the commercial Haro.

So Muge could use his to entertain his subjects by having spirits possess the Haro and talk through it?🔮👻

19 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I think I did mentioned this one before, but the Dancougar itself doesn't show up until like the halfway point of the series. Usually Super Robot shows would have the titular mecha appear with full fanfare right at the beginning at the first episode, but Dancougar doesn't do that. So no Dancougar in Dancougar for quite a while.

They would still have the separated beasts. And I can see delaying the titular combination would possibly make it all the sweeter when it arrives? I assume the delay is partly a skill issue on the pilots' part, they need to seriously train, learn to work together to actually make it happen?

1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

So Muge could use his to entertain his subjects by having spirits possess the Haro and talk through it?🔮👻

That would be quite the image, pft. lol

1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

They would still have the separated beasts. And I can see delaying the titular combination would possibly make it all the sweeter when it arrives? I assume the delay is partly a skill issue on the pilots' part, they need to seriously train, learn to work together to actually make it happen?

I think even the separated beasts went through this. They all have like three differnet forms. A humanoid form, the beast form, and a vehicle form. Even those were not first available to them for the first episodes. So they unlocked the other forms first, then finally they could combined into Dancougar proper.