Trails-related?

I don't do Trails stuff anymore and you know it xD

8 hours ago, Newtype06 said:

Peak Fiction

Was OP smoking something lmao

Also Akiha route RE when?

Don't fuck it up, Mushroom

7 hours ago, Sidereal Wraith said:

But Legacy of Kain just came out…20 years…ago…

Legacy of Kain came out in the 70s?

6 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Having gay/bi characters who aren't interested in the player/main character, despite the latter having an array of characters they could romance, would be... a mixed proposition

Talking generally here and not just lgbtq, but i really dislike the whole "every option available for the Player" thing and it usually comes with it's own writing problems - but we've talked about this before methinks.

6 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

the guys for guys and gals for gals and the persons for persons had enough representation, there would be no need to debate which approach to take. We could have wish fulfillment "you can date anyone" situations, and those where everyone's options are more limited for the sake of realism, both in reasonable abundance

That would be ideal yes. Depending on game, too. Dating sim - go wild xD

4 hours ago, Newtype06 said:

Faithful remake bros... I don't feel so good.

Now same for FE4!

5 hours ago, Lightcosmo said:

*me looking at CS translations* 

What? Xd

(This is a joke of course)

Ye

But hey

Let's accept bad - sorry i mean fine - translations because otherwise it's harassment

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

Buddy is surprised after seeing all the changes Part 1 made? Ngl i'm impressed.

Never underestimate fandom idiocy.

21 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

Who is at fault here? Is it the company pushing harsh deadlines and inconsistent information between overseas teams? Or is it the single freelancer just trying to make a living with the little cut they get for their work?

The system being sucky doesn't change the responsibility of the worker towards the consumer.

If a mistake happens from client side and i have to do stuff again (which happens to me, daily, and right now as i am writing lol) my company gets extra money, i don't, and i have to do work again. If a mistake happens from our side, i also have to do work again, and no extra compensation  - and it's the client/consumer's right to complain then - it's not harassment.

Translators shouldn't be put on a pedestal.

And let's not confuse legit mistakes with straight intended changes to "fix" stuff.

Edited by Shrimpy -Limited Edition-

• Replies 177.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

And this doesn't just apply to Translations mind you - players or fans wanting the product to be good and complaining about bugs/bad games/etc. is not harassment - and the fact that the game industry or media industry is shit is not the fans' fault. Yeah yeah fan demands and capitalism and such - but maybe put the blame on the lack of labour protection laws and not the fans

21 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Legacy of Kain came out in the 70s?

Was it the 1970s 20 years ago Shrimp-kun?

43 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

The system being sucky doesn't change the responsibility of the worker towards the consumer.

If a mistake happens from client side and i have to do stuff again (which happens to me, daily, and right now as i am writing lol) my company gets extra money, i don't, and i have to do work again. If a mistake happens from our side, i also have to do work again, and no extra compensation  - and it's the client/consumer's right to complain then - it's not harassment.

That's just the thing isn't it, the company isn't paying you anymore for working harder or more productive, they'd shoot you dead to make a profit. Why, as a worker, spend far more time than what is reasonably good for one's mental health to do everything perfectly when you can do good enough and the only people who will notice are those more mentally invested in the project than you could ever have time for.

The vast majority of people watching these localized shows aren't particularly miffed about it, because if you are invested enough in an overseas show to want to watch in it's quote on quote "original form" then you have plenty access to it already, no official translation is depriving you of that experience, if you trust the work of machines or amateurs to make it authentic then they are there to do so.

24 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

And this doesn't just apply to Translations mind you - players or fans wanting the product to be good and complaining about bugs/bad games/etc. is not harassment - and the fact that the game industry or media industry is shit is not the fans' fault. Yeah yeah fan demands and capitalism and such - but maybe put the blame on the lack of labour protection laws and not the fans

It being a complaint is what bugs me. Complaint implies a hindrance of life, of self determination. Translation differences and preferences are points of discussion, because I'll reiterate again that all translation is a form of interpretation that only a fluent speaker could ever verify the authenticity of.

25 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Then the people may send those complaints to the CEOs I mentioned earlier and not the workers trifled under them.

The fans aren't monolithic and consist of a variety of different people with different views and reactions. It does not change that some fans are directing their complaints to a minimum wage worker, essentially directing all responsibility onto them and fault to them, antagonizing them, accusing them. My question for you is who are you most inclined to side with? Who do you relate to the most?

9 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Never outright noticed. Though I think I noticed the subtlety with Glen, that sunbaked skin tone stands out. (Actually, should most or many FE fliers be more tanned at least on their faces if they spent a good deal of their day flying around with nothing to shade their visages?) -Duessel doesn't fit BTW. Obsidian is black, not purple. And considering obsidian is really sharp but on the fragile side, a Great Knight with a good 17 Def isn't the best thing to give the epithet to.

Well, there is also something there, if I reach for it. In many ways, some more obvious than others, he is the odd one out among the Grado generals.

...though the real explanation is probably that his hair is meant to be greying black, but they made it purplish to account for the GBA's lighting. Keep in mind, even the outline color these games use is not black, it's purple. Most characters with black hair also have purple tones, though it's less pronounced than with Duessel because Duessel's hair is greying.

When you use the filter that simulates GBA's original coloring, these purple tones turn much blacker. When I get to my computer I'll check how he looks with the filter on, see if I'm on to something. Also, in his OA (original, not Heroes) his hair is also much more monocrome.

9 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I do like the Gemstone Generals being titled after gemstones. The beauties of geology make for good names.

Yeah, agreed. I know Riev isn't the most original villain but between him being a light-wielding bishop and having a baller title like Blood Beryl, I find myself placing him high among the Gharnefs. Also the laugh tic is fun, sue me.

6 hours ago, Newtype06 said:

image.png?ex=65f3beb7&is=65e149b7&hm=eb3e4936065402387407daf3ea27e68c6677212b30b8a8e8256432e8c87c4248&=

Faithful remake bros... I don't feel so good

Wait, people actually expected that plot point to be preserved? I'm not even a FF fan and I could've told you they were going to change that.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

image.jpg

One week left.

4 hours ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Now same for FE4!

Turns out everyone has Major Loptyr Blood!😈 The entire continent is cursed (blame Manfroy)! And the 2nd Gen is a conscious attempt is restore the lost holy bloodlines which could then carry out the Great Bloodletting in the ending. During which the Major Crusader Blood kids would turn themselves into magical blood filtration machines for the entire continent, enduring the burden of cleansing the Loptyr in literally every human on the continent as it streams into and out of them. For several hours everyone in Jugdral would become one great circulatory system as the process of cleaning out the demon blood increasingly accelerates. I just hope one isn't squeamish about the sight of all those gushing geysers of red soaring through the air, and yes, a little gets on the floor and peoples' clothes.🩸😜

T'was a choice. But it was either that or the reversal of time and children begetting parents. But IS thought that was too weird.

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

...though the real explanation is probably that his hair is meant to be greying black, but they made it purplish to account for the GBA's lighting. Keep in mind, even the outline color these games use is not black, it's purple. Most characters with black hair also have purple tones, though it's less pronounced than with Duessel because Duessel's hair is greying.

When you use the filter that simulates GBA's original coloring, these purple tones turn much blacker.

?

I don't quite understand what this means. The lighting part I think I do- the infamous lack of a backlight in the original GBA means darker colors would be too dark? But the original coloring part- that I don't quite understand. You mean purple + lack of backlight = black on a GBA screen?

I mean, there's still the red armor and the 17 defense, but the gemstone pattern was not kept for their statlines in general.

He starts as a bad guy in narrative, if not gameplay, so the red is fine. And as for stats- since when does FE really ever keep them in mind with story/characterization (beyond class generalities)?😛

5 hours ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Ye

But hey

Let's accept bad - sorry i mean fine - translations because otherwise it's harassment

So... We are accepting no QA at all anymore? Xd and whats worse: for a fair amount of money!? Yeah no, somebody getting paid to do their job should do it.

Why would anyone think wanting to understand the game from the players PoV would be trying to harrass someone? Thats silly.

16 hours ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

I never said retranslations happening being the norm - but i still stand by bad localizations being the norm, and happening much more often than they should. Quite a few examples i mentioned weren't about retranslations, either - and i don't know why you understood them as such.

Because you claimed that behavior was the norm, and then doubled down when I pointed out that you were cherry picking some very extreme behavior as the norm. Although as I said in the post, you did soften from this extreme claim.

16 hours ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

I am not justifying harassment - i am justifying the localizations complaints and grievances - these are not harassment. Stop strawmaning legit complaints are harassment.

I am treating it like harassment, because you keep making it sound like harassment is going on, the Japanese tweet in the thread about localizer makes it sounds harassment is very normal at the moment, and the response you are describing from the localizers makes it sound like they are responding to harassment too. Add to that you having to look onto unsavory site to get more details about localization drama, which I suspect are the kind of site that regularly organize harassment campaigns, and it makes me suspect harassment is a notable part of this whole campaign of complaints. For a while here I have been taking you a bit at your word that a fair number of the people you are championing aren't meaning for this to cascade into harassment, but it sounds like they are failing. It seems a lot like they are surfing in with legitimate complaints on a wave of harassment, and getting indignant when they are rightfully treated like a part of the wave they rode in on.

12 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:
  • And "not everyone has to be into you", stings for the queer community. Since for the five decades that video games have been around, queer love has been rare, practically nonexistent outside of non mega-niche gaming for most of the time. And while its presence is increasing, it's still not as prevalent as it should be. It's one thing to say the anime girls shouldn't all be falling over a het male protagonist, since such stories been soooo commonplace and very "mainstreamed" in anime gaming. But the queers (and really, the straight women outside of otomes too) haven't had harems in games where they shouldn't belong.

In the context of games that let you have a choice in who the player dates romantically (outside of dating sims where it was the primary feature of the game) mechanically bi characters were rather common by at least the early-mid 2000s, both because it was easier to code it that way, and it was a very common instance of a bug becoming a feature in a surprising number of very high profile games (The Sims, and Fable immediately come to mind of examples of that)

11 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

I like how GF skipped to Kalos because it suggests they wanted to make it because have an interesting idea, rather than just giving it another game out of obligation like what happened with BDSP. I don't know if LZA will have anything to do with the ancient war or not, but I'm interested in seeing if 'A' refers to a new Legendary.

The Legends game has been one of the freshest takes on the series the Pokemon Company have bother with, so in a way I am not that surprised that they are willing to be so bold with this next entry. The A is probably a reference to AZ, but they have certainly been willing to introduce new legendaries to the Legends game, so perhaps we do have a new letter legendary incoming (perhaps one to replace Arceus, the Alpha Pokemon's role...)

Did you hire this localizer to localize the game? If not how would that put you in the same role are your client in this situation? If someone who purchased one of your client's product tried to circumvent your client to dictate how you should do your job for your client, would that be reasonable?

I am not saying you shouldn't complain,or that your complaints have no merit at all, but when you start targeting specific named people to be the recipient (and villain) of all those complaints, and start sending them together with a bunch of people online, without passing through any medium to filter down the more extreme response coming in (like sending it through the company they worked for, or to a specific space they set aside for complaints, etc.), it is very difficult to keep that from cascading into harassment. Not impossible, but I am not seeing that kind of care being taken here.

Internet-Ruin.jpg

Internet-Ruin-E.jpg

37 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

In the context of games that let you have a choice in who the player dates romantically (outside of dating sims where it was the primary feature of the game) mechanically bi characters were rather common by at least the early-mid 2000s, both because it was easier to code it that way, and it was a very common instance of a bug becoming a feature in a surprising number of very high profile games (The Sims, and Fable immediately come to mind of examples of that)

-All on the Western side of things. I'm vaguely aware of this kind of progress; it's just not a quadrant of gaming I'm personally into. Though for those who are, it does open a few more doors. And was a good development regardless of where it happened.

3 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Wait, people actually expected that plot point to be preserved? I'm not even a FF fan and I could've told you they were going to change that.

Well, there are changes, but... do you care to know? I can put it in spoiler tab, just in case.

3 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Well, there are changes, but... do you care to know? I can put it in spoiler tab, just in case.

No spoilers, please! That would be nice!

Okay, can be through a PM. Though again, if he cares to know.

Though that kinda defeats the point of spoiler tabs...

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

?

I don't quite understand what this means. The lighting part I think I do- the infamous lack of a backlight in the original GBA means darker colors would be too dark? But the original coloring part- that I don't quite understand. You mean purple + lack of backlight = black on a GBA screen?

Indeed! Since the GBA was so dark, GBA games were made with vibrant, bright, washed out color palettes to compensate. They weren't intended to be super bright, but they needed to be so you could actually see something on the console. Emulators, of course, don't have this problem, so they display the games in their original, not-exactly-intended glory.

However, mGBA, the current best GBA emulator, comes packed with a shader you can turn on that simulates the GBA's darker lighting. Trying it on explains a few things. Check this out: FE6 as most of us know it on emulator on the right, vs aproximately what it looked like in original hardware on the left.

mGBA_-_FIREEMBLEM6_-_0.9.3_01_03_2024_15_37_39.png?ex=65f45e53&is=65e1e953&hm=97c2886a5a79b8495c57e220b142c9d52779e12d2d6f495896cb807043be9cfc& mGBA_-_FIREEMBLEM6_60.1_fps_-_0.9.3_01_03_2024_15_37_31.png?ex=65f45e53&is=65e1e953&hm=e62bcbdd52a899f1991256b1312668e56322b375c6e54b77c51b14f2f9a71e6a&

It's a world of difference. That looks much better. It's also quite noticeable in the portraits. Using the earlier example...

Dara.png?ex=65f422f5&is=65e1adf5&hm=a53emGBA_-_FIREEMBLEM6_-_0.9.3_01_03_2024_15

The purples on his hair become gray, the dark purple outline becomes black and the yellows on his face become a more natural skin color. Note that, with this filter on,Vigarde still looks yellow. It's actually even more noticeable when everyone else actually has more realistic white skin.

He starts as a bad guy in narrative, if not gameplay, so the red is fine. And as for stats- since when does FE really ever keep them in mind with story/characterization (beyond class generalities)?😛

Haha, quite true.

50 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Sure, go ahead, why not. Spoiler tabs, DMs, whatever everyone feels is best.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

Thanks for the spoiler, Acacia. I can't believe Sepiroth takes off his face and it is revealed he's Donald Duck underneath.

GHl0tcMa0AAfnfs?format=jpg&name=medium

Xenoblade X bros, i don't feel so good.......

image.jpg

One week left.

Camus Clone does not actually look like Camus in this one.

2 hours ago, Lightcosmo said:

So... We are accepting no QA at all anymore? Xd and whats worse: for a fair amount of money!? Yeah no, somebody getting paid to do their job should do it.

You underestimate how people will do the minimum sometimes because the job doesn't pay enough. 

58 minutes ago, Armagon said:

You underestimate how people will do the minimum sometimes because the job doesn't pay enough. 

Especially if the studio is based in the US the pay is usually never enough on it's own which is why most of these freelancers are working on multiple projects around the same time.

mGBA_-_FIREEMBLEM6_-_0.9.3_01_03_2024_15_37_39.png?ex=65f45e53&is=65e1e953&hm=97c2886a5a79b8495c57e220b142c9d52779e12d2d6f495896cb807043be9cfc& mGBA_-_FIREEMBLEM6_60.1_fps_-_0.9.3_01_03_2024_15_37_31.png?ex=65f45e53&is=65e1e953&hm=e62bcbdd52a899f1991256b1312668e56322b375c6e54b77c51b14f2f9a71e6a&

It's a world of difference. That looks much better. It's also quite noticeable in the portraits. Using the earlier example...

Dara.png?ex=65f422f5&is=65e1adf5&hm=a53emGBA_-_FIREEMBLEM6_-_0.9.3_01_03_2024_15

Man, counteracting the piss filter really does make a world of difference. Suddenly you got green grass, white walls, much more visible floor patterns...

Between all those GBA mods, surely someone must have fixed the colors at some point.

Edited by BrightBow