• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

Putting this here instead:

Yeah, every boss dies here. Save Embryo, as simply more clones of him show up. Sousuke and Tusk then infiltrate Arzenal. They find the captives, but still not Kaname and Ange. Leonard shows up, who is fine letting them go. He's not interesting in Embryo's fetish. But Kaname is key to his plan, so that's a no for her. But Sousuke is determined. He will bring her back to consciousness, no matter what it takes. Even berate her defeatism/martyrdom and comparing herself with her dimensiona counterpart. But also reminding her of all they did and went through together. Which, as always, works. Kaname is fired up back to her old self. Sophia peaces out, and seemingly fades away? Not before asking Kaname to also save Leonard from that mindset. And naturally Kaname goes on her own tirade in response to Sousuke's earlier words. lol Even Leonard can't help but laugh, and lets her go as well. Still, he won't give up without a fight.

Back with Embryo and Ange, he explains about his studies on the nature of multiple dimensions and travel between them. Even created the Ragna-Mail for that reason. But the system went haywere, and sent the place they're currently at in a gap in space-time. No time passes here, which became Embryo's safe haven. He began visiting worlds and influence them. And now, he wants to start anew, with Ange at his side. But Tusk arrives to save her. Or tries, but Embryo subdues him. Ange tries to summon Vilkiss. Embryo is confident he got rid of it, as it doesn't obey him, but Vilkiss comes nonetheless. Tusk wakes up too. Embryo then brings out Sylvia, intending to use her as a human shield... except that by this point, Ange has long stopped caring about her. Even forces her out of the way. All three comes back out, and Embryo and Leonard deploy. Well, yet another Embryo. But the party has finally learned his trick. They're all parallel versions of each other, and so long is stands, he can revive the others. So, it's a matter of killing them all within one minute. Or to put it in game terms. Defeat all in the same turn. Even Leonard is getting sick of him. Yeah, Embryo's starting to crack... let's finish this!

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Defeating Leonard only has him retreat to Arzenal. Now then, time to defeat the Hystericas... I'm not sure if they come back if defeated, or also the HP of those still standing come next turn recover back to full. Hmm...

It's done! Got them all!

Embryo is now panicking. And now just about every single female of the party, playable or otherwise, delivers a big rejection speech to him. Nice.

The dimension starts to distort. It's... Dessler!? Celestella arrives too... and he shoots her, accidentally he claims. He goes on to claim about doing what he does for love. He then orders his guards to shoot an approaching Kodai, but Mori intercept the shot. This makes Dessler walk away.

The... real Embryo? Anyway, he's going off the deep end now. Now intending to kill all his intended "brides". Tusk tries to fight him off, and as Embryo gloats... Leonard shoots him. Seems having Embryo to compare himself with made him go "Am I the baddie?" Either way, he admits defeat and intends to die on this now collapsing dimension. Embryo shoots him back. Wow, graphic. His portrait includes the blood and bullet holes. Tusk delivers the killing blow to Embryo with his... I'm gonna guess katana. That's what he used in the anime, if I recall. Anyway, Leonard gives his parting words. He says the data to get out is in his mech. He's fine if they don't forgive him. He and Tessa say their goodbyes, and the group leaves.

Now with everyone back onboard, they warp out. But also, some Gardim androids seem to have been watching the whole thing unfold. Hmm...

Finally, it's over!

... did Mamoru Kodai just showed up like a Force Ghost...? Wait, oh! It wasn't Yurisha the form the "ghost" was taking. Got it mixed up with how the characters spoke of before that. Either way... huh!?

So... is Dessler actually gonna walk out of this alive? The Gardim androids made a comment about him dying but... nothing is actually shown. Hmm...

Anyway... agh, so close. So close. But I will have to stop here. Next weekend, however... it ends for sure!

Edited by Acacia Sgt

This was a productive weekend for my writing. Over a thousand words and counting.

... well, considering how much time SRW took... pft.

On 3/9/2024 at 5:48 PM, Capt. Fargus said:

IMHO one game that well deserved a remake was Golden Sun. Hideous graphics but I cant really hold that against it

You are being far too harsh on that game, as it absolutely pushed the boundaries of what was possible graphically for the GBA. The first was released only a few months after the GBA itself, and was considered one of the best games on the console graphically for years. The original pair are absolute classics, and it is simply a shame the attempt to revive the series with Dark Dawn proved tragically mediocre.

...god, I just realized this game is over 20 years old, and it makes me feel old.

21 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I wouldn't hold my breath, there has been talk about ending daylight savings for as long as I can remember...

19 hours ago, Armagon said:

So the dilemma here is that Tactical is a bit too easy. But Expert does the thing where it jacks up the stats for no reason and you run out of stamina really quickly.

It really is frustrating when a game simply doesn't have a satisfying difficulty setting for you. It makes me think of Awakening a little in that way.

14 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

TIL my hack has a tv tropes page.

It has two tropes and one of them is factually wrong, but I'm still super flattered.

You finally made it big as a hack maker, people are lying about your hack on the internet.

These days the gap between Lost Age and Dark Dawn seems quite small compared to the gap between Dark Dawn and now.

Really brilliant that Camelot ended Dark Dawn the way they did. Pretty much ensuring there would never be another Golden Sun, because any possible sequel would have to deal with the baggage left behind by that terrible 2010 game.

Edited by BrightBow

57 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

have a satisfying difficulty setting for you. It makes me think of Awakening a little in that way.

I can't make any direct comparisons to FE for obvious reasons but I feel like you could make comparisons to Engage Hard.

For Golden Sun, my worst experience was inputting the password for the 2nd game lmao. That... was awful. 

The gameplay was unique for it's era i think is the best way to phrase it? In a good way.

1 minute ago, Lightcosmo said:

For Golden Sun, my worst experience was inputting the password for the 2nd game lmao. That... was awful. 

The gameplay was unique for it's era i think is the best way to phrase it? In a good way.

I know what you mean, I remember trying to put in the gold password once, and had to just give up after I couldn't figure out where my typo was, and had to just dig up a link cable, and talk my brother into using both the original GBA, and the like brand new GBA SP at the same time to transfer data instead.

If Sunny were to disable the anti-magic cone now, would Bloodfeast turn back into a tiny lizard? Not sure how a Beholder's anti-magic cone interacts with polymorph spells. But it seems like it doesn't actually permanently dispel magic effects. It merely suppresses them inside it's area of effect.

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1299.html

In any case, I don't think Calder is gonna turns this around right now. Sure, the Order members are all damaged enough that another fire breath could be used to justify taking out most of them. But since he already used it twice, that would just be really lame in terms of writing.

I will say Unicorn Overlord definitely is a case of the execution mattering more than the premise. Because the premise is Fire Emblem Plot but the actual execution is better than what Fire Emblem does.

Case in point, a lot of the enemy commanders you fight, whether they are recruitable or not, are actually pretty human. Yeah the obvious Gharnef expy is there but the bad guys as a whole, while oppressive, are also not the Nazis like Fire Emblem and especially KagaSaga likes to make them.

26 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I will say Unicorn Overlord definitely is a case of the execution mattering more than the premise. Because the premise is Fire Emblem Plot but the actual execution is better than what Fire Emblem does.

Case in point, a lot of the enemy commanders you fight, whether they are recruitable or not, are actually pretty human. Yeah the obvious Gharnef expy is there but the bad guys as a whole, while oppressive, are also not the Nazis like Fire Emblem and especially KagaSaga likes to make them.

You single out KagaSaga even though you've not only played only two of the four KagaSagas, but TRS also happens to be the game where the main enemy nation as a whole and a good chunk of enemy commanders are sympathetic to a degree. And Vestaria Saga has a ton of humane folks on the enemy side. There's the cults, of course, but if you're going to call KagaSaga out on having some big evil villains, well... Surely UO does too?

Yeah you know what, you have no right to call Brightbow or me out on anything.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

3 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

I know what you mean, I remember trying to put in the gold password once, and had to just give up after I couldn't figure out where my typo was, and had to just dig up a link cable, and talk my brother into using both the original GBA, and the like brand new GBA SP at the same time to transfer data instead.

You... Have serious gall. I didnt even attempt it, haha. There is not way i could be THAT precise. I would likely end up... Irritated? With my failure, mostly.

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

TRS also happens to be the game where the main enemy nation as a whole and a good chunk of enemy commanders are sympathetic to a degree.

True!

I wish that's what the plot was until the end but we got the last 10 chapters of cult bullshit.

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

There's the cults, of course, but if you're going to call KagaSaga out on having some big evil villains, well... Surely UO does too?

So far UO doesn't even have like a cult, it's kinda like Shadow Dragon where it's basically just Gharnef and Medeus.

But even if there was a cult, so far it doesn't run into the FE5/TRS problem where the cult is a persecuted minority even though everything shown makes it so that persecuting them is the objectively correct choice.

10 minutes ago, Armagon said:

So far UO doesn't even have like a cult, it's kinda like Shadow Dragon where it's basically just Gharnef and Medeus.

But even if there was a cult, so far it doesn't run into the FE5/TRS problem where the cult is a persecuted minority even though everything shown makes it so that persecuting them is the objectively correct choice.

I mean, I'd expect there to be a cult, considering Shrimpy has already alluded to it. Unless I misinterpreted Shrimpers's posts. And if there's no cult I'm wondering what explains the mind control. I suppose we shall see.

43 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I did input the Gold Password, several times even, back as a kid.

My heart bleeds for your younger self!

Just now, Lightcosmo said:

My heart bleeds for your younger self!

Didn't found it that tedious, to be honest.

I think expert is a bit too easy honestly

Like, it ain't mindless, but not really difficult...more like Vestaria 2 difficulty mb? A bit easier than Berwick?

The big maps are really fucking cool tho - and gameplay story integration is top fucking tier

This game OutKaga's Kaga in all ways lol

Mind control

Ballista

Integration

Cavs going brrr

Story beats

Etc

3 hours ago, Armagon said:

Ehhh

The whole Galerius gang is on par with FE cults so far. Doesn't help that most enemies are Kaga'd by the cult

At early Elf atm

Edited by Shrimpy -Limited Edition-

48 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I mean, I'd expect there to be a cult, considering Shrimpy has already alluded to it. Unless I misinterpreted Shrimpers's posts. And if there's no cult I'm wondering what explains the mind control. I suppose we shall see.

It's legit one guy who's doing it lmaooooooooooooooo. That's why the Gharnef comparison is more apt.

Also every mind controlled recruitable ally so far has been men. Men who are at least 30.

EkKgWp3WsAEX-6m.png?ex=6601cf3a&is=65ef5

Pictured: Kaga being forced to watch the UO dev team hypnotize the men instead of the women.

21 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Doesn't help that most enemies are Kaga'd by the cult

Most? At least between Corneria and Drakengard, most of the enemies are actually just normal people doing their job for one reason or another. Following orders, that sort of thing. I just recruited her

GIaaIBNb0AAht84.jpg?ex=6601ced2&is=65ef5

I liked that her map ends, regardless of if you recruit her or not, with her being right with what she was doing even if she was on the other side.

24 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Ballista

Me watching the Smoke Bolt hit me with ICBM range.

16 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

I do think the game should've consolidated some liberation quests into a big map tho - those very small maps can be a bit zzzz

Maybe make the map bigger like in Auxiliary Battles.

25 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

I think expert is a bit too easy honestly

Like, it ain't mindless, but not really difficult...more like Vestaria 2 difficulty mb? A bit easier than Berwick?

This is how Tactical is too.

Like the mechanics are in place to stop you from steamrolling (unless you're playing on the lowest difficulty presumably) but it's not like it's here to rip your balls in half.