Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

Where the fuck in the counter force

WHERE THE FUCK IS THE COUNTER-

Oh

OH

So that's why Nasu decided that TsukiRe doesn't take place in the same timeline as Fate/Stay Night - or a timeline with Heroic spirits, otherwise Japan (and probably Asia) would've been nuked by the counter force by now.

Edited by Shrimpica

• Replies 177.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

10 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

SMT likes.😃

Haha

To explain my ramblings, in Nasuverse the will of humanity has a force that makes sure humanity survives, no matter what. Ie imagine a magical army that get's summoned to take out dangers that could lead to humanity's extinction...even if it costs a whole region.

For example, if someone made a (magical) bomb that could wipe out all of a humanity, then the counter force would probably erase the whole region where that bomb is being made. Humanity survives, even if the county just disappears from existence.

However, the Earth's also has it's own will - and doesn't like the fact that humans are an existence that are basically destroying it while surviving still, as it sees all live on earth as a single organism.

From what i understand/remember, in Tsuki Re Earth's will is stronger than humanity's, hence no Servants.

Old lore (Other timelines?) had will of humanity and earth fighting iirc, but that's been a long time since i read up on that so i could be misremembering.

Just a small TL;DR of the lore that's probably filled with misinformation/outdated information by now xD

Anyway, what's happening atm would've definitely lead to japan being magically nuked out of existence if humanity's will was strong enough. I think.

I mean, for a while it seemed like it wasn't needed, but now....

Edited by Shrimpica

Just now, Shrimpica said:

However, the Earth's also has it's own will - and doesn't like the fact that humans are an existence that are basically destroying it while surviving still, as it sees all live on earth as a single organism.

Time to open an ever-expanding black hole over Antartica!

1084115-504x_megamiteaser_noscale.jpg

The Schwarzwelt.

Fret not. We can return our species to a bestial state aligned with nature and not excessively exploitive, the Earth shall then cease to cry out to the void against us. Or, we can worry not about the Earth thinks and subjugate it, by embracing God and rely wholly on Him for our sustenance (just be ready to shed your feral individuality), that'd banish the black hole forever.

-Staying human as we know it? If we fail to make real change to ourselves... the Schwarzwelt will almost certainly return eventually even if we destroy it. It's the most idealistic path of purest naive folly.😛

3 minutes ago, Shrimpica said:

From what i understand/remember, in Tsuki Re Earth's will is stronger than humanity's, hence no Servants.

Interesting.😄

Sounds vaguely familiar, but it's definitely different. Intelligible, yet exotic.

Thanks for sharing.😀

Kirby Super Star Ultra review

Kirby Super Star Ultra is pretty good. A unique approach with it's anthology-based structure and this allowed it to come up with some pretty creative modes in the form of Great Cave Offensive and Milky Way Wishes and both modes kinda make me wonder how a Kirby Metroidvania would work. There's some foundations here for that.

Then there's Meta Knight's Revenge, which was an enjoyable high-speed mode. I actually came quite close to running out of time in some parts. Speaking of high-speed, Gourmet Race is a classic. I did play that one in the original and i feel it controls better here?

Spring Breeze and Dyna Blade are fairly standard Kirby adventures. The former is just a remake of Kirby's Dream Land. So fun but nothing to write home about.

Ultra did add some new modes, mainly Revenge of the King and Meta Knight Ultra. While Revenge of the King is a good "hard mode" version of Spring Breeze (and even introduced Masked Dedede, this whole time i was being gaslit to think that was a Triple Deluxe thing), Meta Knight Ultra is fun at first but it's just redoing the original modes (minus Gourmet Race and Great Cave) as Meta Knight. The only difference is you fight Galacta Knight at the end but honestly i would've preferred it if it was more original.

As a whole, Super Star Ultra is very fun and i wouldn't mind if they did something like this again. Maybe now that the series has fully gone 3D, they could do a "3D Super Star" or something.

8/10

*Sees that Runa thing from last week has started its Kickstarter*

...A dev team of three, and only one is a programmer. Attempting a 3D JRPG with a long list of features. Oooooooi, overambition ahoy!😬

Doesn't anyone pay attention to the credits?🤦‍♂️ Do they not see how many people are involved in the games they seek to emulate? And I see I ain't alone in saying this. (Also found a comment in praise of the dev trio for their decis/sion, something I must concur with as much as I am concerned about the undertaking as a whole.)

48 minutes ago, Armagon said:

As a whole, Super Star Ultra is very fun and i wouldn't mind if they did something like this again. Maybe now that the series has fully gone 3D, they could do a "3D Super Star" or something.

8/10

Geez you were quick. Although Kirby games are short.

Glad it worked out well.😅

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Gourmet Race is a classic.

And so is its theme.🎶 Which Smash then mistakenly assigned to and renamed after the Fountain of Dreams, to the misleading of many. (However, Nightmare in Dream Land did change the King Dedede battle in front of the Fountain of Dreams to use the music of Gourmet Race, ironically enough.)

even introduced Masked Dedede, this whole time i was being gaslit to think that was a Triple Deluxe thing)

The Japanese name for Super Star is "Super Deluxe". Besides being a reference to the 3DS, Triple Deluxe is no doubt a naming nod to this.

Also.:

Kirby_Super_Star_Japanese_Paulownia_cove

Japanese boxart for Super Deluxe, it's a cultural thing. Paulownia wood in Japan was used in Japan to package expensive sake and silverware, the idea here was to make the game look distinctively exquisite. -The idea came from Shigesato Itoi, the creator of Mother/Earthbound (certainly something of a quirky fellow given his famously-quirky trilogy).

Another factoid- The voice clip for the third use of Mike is Masahiro Sakurai's voice (beneath the heavy distortion), it's him shouting "Chesto!", that distinctly Japanese battle cry.

And one other tidbit.: You might've noticed that Marx manipulating Kirby and then becoming the final boss, is exactly what Magolor does as well. They absolutely rehashed the idea with Mag'; there was time enough between the two games, so I don't mind it that they did.😀

Then there's Meta Knight's Revenge, which was an enjoyable high-speed mode. I actually came quite close to running out of time in some parts.

I just want to say that I love Revenge of Meta Knight. It's weird, but good.😆

For one, it's dialogue-heavy by Kirby standards, all the mid-stage dialogue. Gunvolt does loads of that? -But that's not Kirby, for Kirby, it's bizarre, yet cool.

Related- the premise. It's hardcore- Meta Knight is on the verge conquering Pop Star (as silly as that sounds), Kirby rushes in guns blazing with one mission- destroy the Halberd. Sure you spend some time trying to re-board the Halberd, but then Kirby carries out pure carnage on the great battleship. It's intense. I'm not sure if I've seen another game like this, with so narrow, focused, small, short, yet thrilling a narrative. -Or rather, I think I am disappointed there is simply no way you could capture such a feeling in even a 30-hour A/JRPG, much to my dismay.😆 

The only difference is you fight Galacta Knight at the end but honestly i would've preferred it if it was more original.

This is where Galacta Knight originated. And also the origin of the True Arena as I said before. And the concept of a final boss coming back in a "Soul" form -although the first Soul boss is actually in Canvas Curse.

Perhaps the original Super Star's greatest innovation was giving Copy Abilities more than one move. Something you probably take for granted, having started with... Return to Dream Land methinks? -But after KSS, things got simplified for quite a while.

kinda make me wonder how a Kirby Metroidvania would work.

Kirby_&_the_Amazing_Mirror.jpg

Is it amazing? ...Probably not. You see, KtAM has a map, but it is not a helpful one.😐 (Copy Abilities are largely one-move too, which is kinda dated.)

-I was going to provide some suggestions (you needn't take any) on any future Kirby games you might consider playing. But it's getting late, I'll give you a factual rundown on the Dark Matter Trilogy.😅

• The Dark Matter Trilogy
    • Kirby's Dream Land 2 (1995, GB), Kirby's Dream Land 3 (1997, SNES), Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards (2000, N64).
    • Named after a shared villain in all three games.
    • Sakurai did not work on these. -But he did Super Star (1996) hence the bias it has been shown in Smash.
      • Sakurai didn't directly oversee a Kirby game again until Nightmare in Dream Land (2002) and Air Ride (2003), the latter being his last real work on a Kirby game no wonder the Dragoon is in Smash.
    • All three -oddly for Kirby- require you unlock the true final battle or else get an implicitly bad ending.
      • Acquire all the collectibles (Rainbow Drops, Heart Stars, Crystal Shards) in each game before fighting the Untrue Final Boss. That's all you have to do to reveal the True Final Boss.
        • -And for KDL3, make sure to defeat every boss of each land after getting all the Heart Stars from that region. Refight them if you missed any Heart Stars yet got past them earlier anyhow.
    • All have one-move Copy Abilities.
      • You do get the three animal partners in KDL2, which becomes six in KDL3. Yet, while the animal buddies change the exact attack, the Copy Abilities are still only one-move each.
      • Kirby 64 lets you mix two basic Copy Abilities together (Fire + Needle = fire arrows, instance). ...But only one attack each, again.
    • Movement-wise, people I usually find say Kirby is sluggish in KDL3 and 64. It has been so long since I've played either that I forget how they feel.
    • Visually, KDL3 has aged quite well, owing to its hand-drawn aesthetic. Kirby 64 has technically-poor graphics owing its age, but somehow, the environments those primitive polygons create have enduring character in them.
    • Overall, the Dark Matter Trilogy is probably not, for most fans, the best Kirby has to offer. Though the franchise itself/HAL Labs hasn't consciously chosen to forget the trilogy.
    • One little oddity- King Dedede is in all three of the DMT, but no Meta Knight whatsoever. The Amazing Mirror (2004) would thankfully totally fix this lack of Meta and permanently enshrine him as one of the Kirby Big Three.

...And, I just want to mention Squeak Squad (2006).😆 Squeak Squad gets a lot of criticism- primarily because the game didn't really do anything to innovate Kirby, it was a low-effort entry. I'm somewhat kinder on SS. In part, because while not every Copy Ability was fleshed out, Squeak Squad was, mostly, at a last a return to the multi-move ones of Super Star ('Ultra was two years away). And I found that Squeak Squad was still typical Kirby fun. It's not bad if all you're looking for is more Kirby to mindlessly snack on.

7 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Doesn't anyone pay attention to the credits?🤦‍♂️ Do they not see how many people are involved in the games they seek to emulate? And I see I ain't alone in saying this. (Also found a comment in praise of the dev trio for their decis/sion, something I must concur with as much as I am concerned about the undertaking as a whole.)

Also kickstarters aren't guaranteed *looks at Red Ash*.

Paulownia wood in Japan was used in Japan to package expensive sake and silverware, the idea here was to make the game look distinctively exquisite.

Free real estate for termites.

And one other tidbit.: You might've noticed that Marx manipulating Kirby and then becoming the final boss, is exactly what Magolor does as well. They absolutely rehashed the idea with Mag'; there was time enough between the two games, so I don't mind it that they did.😀

Marx was honestly kinda a pushover compared to Maglor. I mean, one phase? Please.

Kirby_&_the_Amazing_Mirror.jpg

Is it amazing?

See I thought this was just multiplayer as the main gimmick. Didn't realize it actually was a Metroidvania.

Thanks for the info on the other games.

2 hours ago, Shrimpica said:

udaJ1VQ.png
yVoV6yj.png

😭

Haven't they suffered enough, Mushroom?

If they don't get the happiest of all endings after this....

I would've parried this.

33 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I would've parried this.

Fyi, he isn't attacking her, he is trying to free her (and failing) from being eternally tortured/killed and reborn.

And one of the bad ends here puts them both in eternal hell, as they are both immortal...but are being repeatedly killed/tortured and reborn.

Edited by Shrimpica

31 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Also kickstarters aren't guaranteed *looks at Red Ash*.

Although in this case, it looks to be only partial funding, not the entire project. Something to lure a publisher into taking up and financing the vast majority of the game.

Marx was honestly kinda a pushover compared to Maglor. I mean, one phase? Please.

It is an old game. -Although the Nightmare before it did did have both orb and wizard, and KDLs 2 and 3 are both multi-phase too (and Amazing Mirror when that came about). And Heart of Nova sorta counts an as oddball phase, just not of Marx himself.

See I thought this was just multiplayer as the main gimmick. Didn't realize it actually was a Metroidvania.

Kirby--the-Amazing-Mirror08112021-125256

As I said, not exactly the most useful map.🤨

-The final boss is accessed from the central hub area, the Metroidvania aspect comes from treasures to collect, and needing to go out and find the various area bosses with the mirror shards to reach said final boss.

Thanks for the info on the other games.

As the resident Kirby aficionado, no problem at all.🤓

-Admittedly I still have played Star Allies yet.😅 Lukewarm reception at release and me being burned out at the time from TD and PR are why. Also, I don't have IRL friends and methinks that'd make Star Allies more fun than stupid CPU helpers.

And I've also skipped over basically every Kirby spinoff since the 3DS era. (Why Kirby has always had a ton of little spinoff games eludes me. Mario and Pokemon I get, Zelda historically has had almost none, and Kirby isn't exactly the equal of the Nintendo Trinity.)

I'd offer a word of praise for Canvas Curse -as many did for it being an early DS game that used the touch screen quite well. But, I sense you'd possibly not be fond of that.

-A factoid about Air Ride.:

image.jpeg.ba989f1f8ce671eceba89a2def422

Look familiar?😛 

Air Ride I do have a measure of nostalgia for, I wouldn't mind a greatly-expanded sequel (extremely unlikely with the modern cost of game development). -But the Air Ride Mode tracks do feel too "on rails"/easy in retrospect.

...I'll shaddup now.😆

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

Holy shit.

I ignored the Indie World direct, ended up clicking on it after it was done, skimmed through the timeline bar quickly.

Steamworld Heist 2.

Thanks a lot Ninty, as soon as they make the Steam page I'm throwing it on my wishlist.

3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I ignored the Indie World direct,

Not like there was much to it. -Or so says someone who wouldn't describe themselves as an indie gamer.😅 

4 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Steamworld Heist 2.

Thanks a lot Ninty, as soon as they make the Steam page I'm throwing it on my wishlist.

I think I'll wait for a sale for that. I liked Heist well enough, but I'm in no rush, I've enough on my gaming table.

6 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Not like there was much to it. -Or so says someone who wouldn't describe themselves as an indie gamer.😅 

Eh, the platform for indies is PC anyway. The only indies that make their way to consoles are those profitable enough to be able to afford the jump.

7 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I think I'll wait for a sale for that. I liked Heist well enough, but I'm in no rush, I've enough on my gaming table.

I have great memories of Heist, even played it multiple times. Perhaps another run will be in order for the release of the second game.

...Already aesthetically I think I like it less, it does that thing where it's turned into a pseudo-3D, which is usually done to alleviate costs. And I feel like I preferred the original "space bounty hunters" hook better than this "pirates in an actual see" thing. But we'll see. There's only a very short trailer at this point, not much to go on.

Wrapped up Extra Mode in Return to Dream Land. Admittedly, I cheesed the last bosses with Leaf/Stone/Sand and their invincibility.😅 I won't do the Arenas, boss rushes have been a very consistent staple of the franchise since Adventure, but I can't say I fully enjoy them. As, despite Kirby being easy, I'm not a great player, and surviving the rushes (without the safe boredom of using Stone and the like) is more tense than I like. I'm okay with no 100% the games, as I very rarely do that with any game already.

*Checks online* ...Why did they give Magolor Soul -in the True Arena only- a Sand tornado attack, and a ~18 second Mecha Blaster Cannon move?🤔 The dusty whirlwinds blend in well enough, the magically-summoned laser cannons do not.

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

And I feel like I preferred the original "space bounty hunters" hook better than this "pirates in an actual see" thing.

Image & Form Games has been pushing SteamWorld into as many genres and aesthetics as they can, to mixed reception. Though I get any creative impulses to avoid repeating the same thing over and over again, despite what fans may want.

3 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Image & Form Games has been pushing SteamWorld into as many genres and aesthetics as they can, to mixed reception. Though I get any creative impulses to avoid repeating the same thing over and over again, despite what fans may want.

Yeah they do seem determined not to repeat stuff, which is a valid approach I can get behind. Again, I'll want to see more. I mean, they haven't even made the Steam page yet!

Finish rewatching it... one day

On 4/14/2024 at 8:40 PM, Interdimensional Observer said:

-And I haven't a clue either on which story, if any, in which Arthur was killed by Bretons. I only know the Le Morte d'Arthur version of things.

King Arthur wasn't killed by Bretons, he was a Breton (kinda). The French must have been confusing them with the Saxons

On 4/15/2024 at 8:00 AM, Shrimpica said:

XPvfuao.png

also not at the end of the route anymore.

What's going on here and why does Kohaku look like she came out of a 2000s creepypasta?

On 4/14/2024 at 10:26 PM, Shrimpica said:

IH975Vb.png

The Classic.

Q2qrYGba_o.png

26 minutes ago, Venger_06 said:

What's going on here and why does Kohaku look like she came out of a 2000s creepypasta?

MGJDpVx.png
4rRlpbB.png

although the real choice, and wether Kohaku gets fucked over and you get the creepyhaku-san depends on a choice a few days earlier, not this one
As for why - probably Red garden

Edited by Shrimpica

If I had a nickel for every time I've seen a tragedy involved a village called Hamel, I'd have two nickels... (Tales of Phantasia has the other Hamel, for the curious)

By sheer luck I timed a Death Scream with a Crit. GG Gi... GGG, eh...

Edited by Acacia Sgt