Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

25 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Haha, yes. I know some people prefer otherwise, but I'm not one to fully jump into games blind, I'll admit.

In some aspects, I don't. -Gotta consult the skill simulators for the hidden numbers on everything and other online resources as to how specific mechanics work together in EO.πŸ€“ Assembling a team on a whim, only to realize much later that it doesn't function very well together is an awful feeling (I learned my lesson after my first EO2U and EON runs).

In some instances, I wish I hadn't been quite so blind. -RF5 comes to mind. One of the reasons I haven't gone back to it for the dating, is that I didn't know how triggering dating worked, and that while the first dating is easily accepted, having a decent chance of getting a successful dating proposal acceptance goes down with each additional person whom you are already dating. Mandating more and more hearts to raise the likelihood of success. Something of a problem when I want to do a more thorough inspection with five of the men before committing to just one. And you need at least 10 hearts I think to begin dating at all? I should've started gifting looooooooong before the story's end.πŸ˜†Β Also, learning RF5 has a thin postgame didn't help either.

-And I totally regret starting SRW30 blind. I won't forgive myself for not getting Kagero.πŸ˜… I went ahead and looked up every other secret afterwards and have not a single true qualm having done so. But completing that looooooooong game and having that one little black mark of foolishness on the file annoys me.πŸ˜†

Β 

16 minutes ago, Codename Shrimp said:

logo-Vampire-shrimp-.jpg

I had heard of vampire squid

vampire-squid-mbari-vampyroteuthis_infer

...but never vampire shrimp.🀣

16 minutes ago, Codename Shrimp said:

How i feel about getting to CQ late game because i just adore the living heck out of it

Inevitable End and the Ninja Corridor of Doom are your definitions of fun? Well, I won't judge.😜 And Hinoka's final showdown on paper sounds dangerously wild, for better and worse.

...I should get to naming you more units for your present chapter so I can then throw you a bone for the two iffy CQ midgame chapters.πŸ˜…

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

• Replies 179.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

4 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Inevitable End and the Ninja Corridor of Doom are your definitions of fun?

NOT THAT XD

Although cooking up something for that was an amazing experience.

EhJwjp6.png

Never forget

5 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

And Hinoka's final showdown on paper sounds dangerously wild, for better and worse.

Sakura - Takumi - Hinoka are my fav. FE maps in existence. That section of Conquest is just chef's kiss.

And Engage follows a similar style with Hounds/P!Alear/Lumera. Cooking ❀️

6 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

for the two iffy CQ midgame chapters.πŸ˜…

I will delay these 2 as much as possible hence i have a surprise when it comes to them xD

Also might put in restrictions that will make me clear the maps easily lol

I did it

Vk6tGJj.jpeg7HHn2p4.jpeg

It started with a Fernão (The Terrible) and it ended with a Fernão (The Kind). For the first time ever, I completed a CK2 game from 1066 to 1453. Thanks, House of Bragança, Portugal, Aquitaine and the Maghreb are in good hands. I even destroyed the Roman larpers as a bonus, they survived for too long

tLDP1H9.jpeg

I will never play another 1066 game again. It sucks. I wonder if I should try to restore Rome next, and with whom. I tried once in 769, but the Iconoclast heresy is annoying

and the new Imperial Government sucks, vassals rebel every 5 minutes. I've heard the easy way is to follow Charlemagne events and swear fealty to the Bizzies as Charlie, and then get elected as emperor.

Oh, interesting.

Was gonna ask about the event, but I remembered it's Fourth Crusade related. I had to do it in a more old-fashioned way of inviting a claimant, converting him, then help him press the claim. Certainly made things harder ensuring his dynasty, or any other converted-elected, would continue ruling until they converted the Empire.

Ah, the Viper Manor infiltration sequence is so... iconic, I'd say. I wonder, though, considering the game began as a Radical Dreamers remake first. Would this have been all to it? Or they already planned to expand the scope of the game beyond the manor raid...

Why does Nexus throw you subclassing without any ceremony? Still nice to have it, but I'll assign the subclasses tomorrow, that's enough for today.πŸ₯±

Β 

3 hours ago, Codename Shrimp said:

NOT THAT XD

Allow me to -no, I'll spare ya a screenshot of one EO's devilish random encounter enemy formations.πŸ˜…

Sakura - Takumi - Hinoka are my fav. FE maps in existence. That section of Conquest is just chef's kiss.

Sakura is a little surprising. It's a relatively normal map for CQ, if cramped. Though I presume you don't use Defensive Stance "put everyone to the left" cheese.😝 ...Yet the narrow spaces, as is true IRL, I think I remember makes the extra manpower on the left not very effective.

And Oboro's Wall is 4D chess endorphins for you?

I will delay these 2 as much as possible hence i have a surprise when it comes to them xD

Also might put in restrictions that will make me clear the maps easily lol

I will give you Evenhanded & Even Better and Odd Shaped & Better Odds characters for the fox hunt and you will like it.

55 minutes ago, Codename Shrimp said:

Nothing like 4 am Alchemy

addiction is real

Latest night/earliest morning gaming is something for sure.πŸ˜€

>Phantom Hourglass sucks (did the first two dungeons and the game's just flat-out boring)

Oh well but let's start Spirit Tracks, maybe some things are improved

>Loads up the d-pad pre-patch rom

>anti-piracy triggers (you can't progress the tutorial)

>Turns out i have to get a specific d-pad patch that i have to apply myself

Guess i'm not playing the game then. Not going through the effort of applying a patch myself for a game that i estimate to have a 40% Armagon Enjoyment rate.

Kratos-and-my-life-is-yours-meme-8savc2.

Nintendo, remake the DS Zelda games with actual proper button controls and my life is yours.

Anyways who makes a patch that doesn't get rid of the anti-piracy? That's like the bare minimum a patch should do my guy.

17 hours ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

Catch about getting older. Time seems to go by faster every year

It's true. It does slow if you experience actual new things (the 10 days i spent in Spain were the longest 10 days i had in a while) but those things don't come all that often.

11 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I want Nexus to be over -so I can play it again.πŸ˜†Β 

That was me with Metroid Dread for a full year.

Β 

pbcF995.jpeg

I will never understand alchemy XD

How does one cook all that lol

ALSO WHY THE FUCK DID A PUNI SUMMON A METEOR ON ME????

?????

???????????????????????

SINCE WHEN CAN SLIMES DO THAT?

59 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Though I presume you don't use Defensive Stance "put everyone to the left" cheese.

I never understood why anyone even does that - not only makes the map extra slow, the narrow corridors will make you defence stance all the time - precious waste of action economy - also exp

Using both sides, and making one unlock the other and vice versa, allows you to advance to your pace and to choose when to go full in in a certain area, and when to stay behind walls, and makes you make use of everyone

Then again, i find defense stance to be super overrated.

And Oboro's Wall is 4D chess endorphins for you?

Ü

There's exactly one space on the upper wall that you can use to go 4D chess xD

I will give you Evenhanded & Even Better and Odd Shaped & Better Odds characters for the fox hunt and you will like it

Restriction: Vantage and Heartseeker on everyone xD

Also min. 4 Beastkiller users

Latest night/earliest morning gaming is something for sure.πŸ˜€

it's a blast tbh

30 minutes ago, Armagon said:

It does slow if you experience actual new things

If anything, new things makes it flow faster (especially if fun) before you return to your old slow af life

Edited by Codename Shrimp

4 hours ago, Codename Shrimp said:

Nothing like 4 am Alchemy

addiction is real

…So that’s what the kids are calling it these days.

Look, it's better than that person wanting us dead I suppose.

11 hours ago, Codename Shrimp said:

Tfw a nap until midnight πŸ™ƒ

I remember getting back from America, having to take hours to get back home, arriving around 11 and conking out till 8. I definitely was panicing there.

Took a week to fix my sleep.

10 hours ago, Codename Shrimp said:

logo-Vampire-shrimp-.jpg

Snazzy look, course the vampire shrimp gets one.

8 hours ago, Venger_06 said:

7HHn2p4.jpeg

It started with a Fernão (The Terrible) and it ended with a Fernão (The Kind). For the first time ever, I completed a CK2 game from 1066 to 1453. Thanks, House of Bragança, Portugal, Aquitaine and the Maghreb are in good hands. I even destroyed the Roman larpers as a bonus, they survived for too long

Now that's a lot of score.

So you didn't have all of Spain? was it all in pieces?

8 hours ago, Codename Shrimp said:

M O O D
O
O
D

Me, with a working situation incoming:

DΒ Β  O Β  O Β  M

O

O

M

6 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Sakura is a little surprising. It's a relatively normal map for CQ, if cramped. Though I presume you don't use Defensive Stance "put everyone to the left" cheese.😝 ...Yet the narrow spaces, as is true IRL, I think I remember makes the extra manpower on the left not very effective.

I'd say it's less of an issue with fliers, being able to pincer Hana's forces helps.

6 hours ago, Armagon said:

>Phantom Hourglass sucks (did the first two dungeons and the game's just flat-out boring)

Oh well but let's start Spirit Tracks, maybe some things are improved

>Loads up the d-pad pre-patch rom

>anti-piracy triggers (you can't progress the tutorial)

>Turns out i have to get a specific d-pad patch that i have to apply myself

Guess i'm not playing the game then. Not going through the effort of applying a patch myself for a game that i estimate to have a 40% Armagon Enjoyment rate.

Kratos-and-my-life-is-yours-meme-8savc2.

Nintendo, remake the DS Zelda games with actual proper button controls and my life is yours.

Is the patch simple enough? Like, nothing that can't just be using tools? I'd say it's fine to take the time myself, Spirit Tracks is the better of the two, despite being railroaded (heh)

I've played both as intended, so I suppose the question is are the controls the killer issue? Apparently not, but Phantom Hourglass was a long time ago.

6 hours ago, Codename Shrimp said:

Using both sides, and making one unlock the other and vice versa, allows you to advance to your pace and to choose when to go full in in a certain area, and when to stay behind walls, and makes you make use of everyone

The main problem with that strat is if you're someone who doesn't have many DV users. I feel like you have to have more than 2 per side just to ensure you have flexibility with doing that. Yes you could have just 2 DV users, but they have to always be free to act on that, which doesn't seem likely with just, say, Corrin and Azura.

Generic runs might have this problem, so I'm biased there.

5 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Capitalism, everywhere.

Sommie, my beloved

15 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Took a week to fix my sleep

Imagine fixing your sleep

15 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Me, with a working situation incoming:

DΒ Β  O Β  O Β  M

O

O

M

enjoy what little free time you have left

Β 

16 minutes ago, Dayni said:

The main problem with that strat is if you're someone who doesn't have many DV users. I feel like you have to have more than 2 per side just to ensure you have flexibility with doing that. Yes you could have just 2 DV users, but they have to always be free to act on that, which doesn't seem likely with just, say, Corrin and Azura.

Generic runs might have this problem, so I'm biased there

That's more a special situation tho - and First blood from DLC exists

20 hours ago, Sidereal Wraith said:

I’d choose to play Russian roulette with a Gatling gun.

One day, when I find context suitable for it, I'm stealing that quote. I don't know how, or where. But I'm going to find a way to use it.
Β 

18 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I mean, I had a two-weekish MDD episode earlier this month.πŸ˜…Β And really, nothing existential has changed about my situation -which will keep me up at night. But to say I don't find my "small" existence "cozy" most of the time would be a lie. And that comfort insidiously contributes to my lack of existential change for the long-term better.

I'm trying to find a new therapist now after I got one last month and ditched them after two sessions (it didn't feel like they were for me). But the new one I've my eye on hasn't emailed me back yet like a week later. And even if they did, Medicare with a private insurance name on it is a deceiving mess that could easily be shot down and I'd have to pick someone else.

Life can be rough. I wish I could give some particular advice, but it's not really my field of expertise. I always find it's easier to make changes when you have a goal you're set on. Problem being, if the goal stays out of reach for too long, that itself can lead to existential dread.

7 hours ago, Armagon said:

Β 

The DS Zelda games to this day have the dishonour of being the earliest Zeldas I never finished (barring of course the CD-i). So I feel I know where you're coming from. Catch being, I feel like the games would just about need a rebalancing for that purpose, because a lot of the design is based around lenience due to the control scheme.

If anyone's wondering Triforce Heroes completes the Tri-force of Zelda games I have started but not seen through. Otherwise, I still have to get to TOTK and Age of Calamity.

7 hours ago, Armagon said:

It's true. It does slow if you experience actual new things (the 10 days i spent in Spain were the longest 10 days i had in a while) but those things don't come all that often.

The night after my surgery last year might have been the longest night of my life. Mind that could be the fact I was being woke up every two hours to check my vitals.
Sleeping off pain is much less effective when you aren't allowed to stay asleep.
Β 

10 minutes ago, Codename Shrimp said:

That's more a special situation tho - and First blood from DLC exists

Always tended to run that on Felicia myself. Reason being the availability when you're using a male Corrin. Besides, having a unit primarily used for support do things that are primarily support makes sense.

1 hour ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

One day, when I find context suitable for it, I'm stealing that quote. I don't know how, or where. But I'm going to find a way to use it.

Β 

Be my guest.

9 hours ago, Armagon said:

That was me with Metroid Dread for a full year.

I still remember your "one run a month" habit. -Well, short game with speedrunning intended allowed for that.πŸ˜†

Β 

9 hours ago, Codename Shrimp said:

ALSO WHY THE FUCK DID A PUNI SUMMON A METEOR ON ME????

?????

???????????????????????

SINCE WHEN CAN SLIMES DO THAT?

Why not? -They'd already been playable in the Atelier franchise.πŸ˜›

Then again, i find defense stance to be super overrated.

They did nerf it, because IS showed quick wisdom and rightfully corrected for Awakening's Pair Up being brokenly strong.

Reducing your actions per turn and eliminating the possibility of now-100%-reliable Offensive Stance can really bite, so yeah, DS overuse bad. Though DS enemy-phasing is still useful. So I would say DS is balanced, on the whole (maybe a tad weak?).

Restriction: Vantage and Heartseeker on everyone xD

Also min. 4 Beastkiller users

And everyone must have horse or be a beast themselves.😈

Β 

2 hours ago, Dayni said:

Look, it's better than that person wanting us dead I suppose.

I guess?πŸ€”

2 hours ago, Dayni said:

I remember getting back from America, having to take hours to get back home, arriving around 11 and conking out till 8. I definitely was panicing there.

Inversion of regular sleep talk has neurodivergently triggered a factoid drop.😜 

In late 18th-early 19th century England, the stupendously wealthy/aristocratic of England (those residing in London/the major cities in particular) wouldn't have breakfast until 10 or 11 AM. Some would push it even further and not have breakfast (possibly inviting 200-300 guests or so) until 3 or 4 PM, when the working class was having dinner. "Breakfast" in this case being defined as "your first meal of the day, the present hour be damned". With the difference between big elite breakfast and dinner being the food served and how it was served (no big dinner table, everything is served bite-sized with no need for knives at breakfast). (We're talking Regency period/pre-Victorian here. No luncheons nor afternoon tea just yet- only breakfast & dinner, comprising a two-meal day.)

The cause for the latest of breakfasting happening at the most belated of hours, was the filthy rich sleeping in until noon. No jobs to attend to b/c estates and inherited wealth, so untethered to they typical human-sun & moon cycles these particular people were. Twas typical to not return home until 2 or 3 AM after a night of fun in the city, and during the season of grandiose balls & parties which you simply HAVE to attend!, people often wouldn't call for their carriages back home until daybreak had already arrived. -So it was that just the working class arose and began their daily toil, the upper class ended their daily play and took to slumber. Lives that were like day & night.β˜€οΈπŸŒ™

~8hours, first Sophie Impressions:

• Alchemy is super fucking addicting - Much better than Lulua imo. That Puzzle element to try and create the perfect board to cook the perfect item in the pot is super fun - and i already liked Lulua's alchemy. What also helps here more that i am not playing as a noob alchemist xD
  • The combat on the other hand, from first glance, seems weaker - I liked team combos in Lulua's more, with passive triggers - made figuring Party combinations and when to use abilities fun - not sure yet what to think about TP system - and i am sure the battle system will still open up. But i think Lulua's was smoother and better so far
  • Music is good - but not on par with Lulua - I remember when i booted up Lulua and first battle i hear was Cross Wind - that was amazing. Here i already switched the main battle theme - although i still liked the rest of the music i heard so far - Spring bird is fun, and so is Atelier's music - which increases the fun factor of alchemy ofc
  • Story/Setting i am quite interested in - atleast there're some stakes this time! And will probably end with us destroying the dream world.
8 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Why not? -They'd already been playable in the Atelier franchise

It's a slime xD

8 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

And everyone must have horse or be a beast themselves.😈

Honestly, might just lowman with Odin/Vantage/Heartseeker/Beastkiller and play some other bonus/DLC chapter where you guys get to choose. I hate Fox hell too much man

Edited by Codename Shrimp

3 hours ago, Dayni said:

Is the patch simple enough? Like, nothing that can't just be using tools?

"Instructions for Patching

Apply Patch using the xdelta command line:

xdelta.exe -d -s (old_file) (delta_file) (decoded_new_file)

old_file should be a copy of Legend of Zelda Spirit Tracks US/EU depending on patch
delta_file is the patch (zelda_spirit_tracks_dpad.xdelta)
decoded_new_file is the filename after patching"

If it was a simple drag and drop i'd do it but it's command prompt stuff that i'm too lazy to do.

3 hours ago, Dayni said:

so I suppose the question is are the controls the killer issue?

Yeah for the longest time, i put off on playing the two games because of the touch screen. Or rather, the main screen is the touch screen so you have your hand getting in the way.

The d-pad patch is a work around but a lot of the game is still dependent on the touch screen. Moving blocks, charting course. Using items is the only thing that actually kinda works, the boomerang has more versatility in these games than in any other except maybe Tears.

Β 

That is a very unfortunate typo.

Also, I just realised something for a BinB remake. It'll have to address in some form the Manga weapons. They were originally a tie-in to reference the manga, but there's very little argument they'd do nothing about them in a remake right? This could be a whole other issue for adding another second protag to a game that already has several potentates to that role when the base story is Boi's journey. And if a BinB remake incorporates the whole of Al's arc? Oh boy I can see how well that goes down already.

Even if it just retcons them out, what do they get replaced with? Steels and a heal staff will not be worth the trouble, especially for late on.

18 minutes ago, Codename Shrimp said:

and First blood from DLC exists

Doesn't work for generics, I checked.

49 minutes ago, The Roger The Paladin said:

If anyone's wondering Triforce Heroes completes the Tri-force of Zelda games I have started but not seen through. Otherwise, I still have to get to TOTK and Age of Calamity.

Curious about that one, seeing as it kind of requires other players and my 3DS social network is nonexistent I never found it worthwhile picking it up.

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

In late 18th-early 19th century England, the stupendously wealthy/aristocratic of England (those residing in London/the major cities in particular) wouldn't have breakfast until 10 or 11 AM. Some would push it even further and not have breakfast (possibly inviting 200-300 guests or so) until 3 or 4 PM, when the working class was having dinner. "Breakfast" in this case being defined as "your first meal of the day, the present hour be damned". With the difference between big elite breakfast and dinner being the food served and how it was served (no big dinner table, everything is served bite-sized with no need for knives at breakfast).

The cause for the latest of breakfasting happening at the most belated of hours, was the filthy rich sleeping in until noon. No jobs to attend to b/c estates and inherited wealth, so untethered to they typical human-sun & moon cycles these particular people were. Twas typical to not return home until 2 or 3 AM after a night of fun in the city, and during the season of grandiose balls & parties which you simply HAVE to attend!, people often wouldn't call for their carriages back home until daybreak had already arrived. -So it was that just the working class arose and began their daily toil, the upper class ended their daily play and took to slumber. Lives that were like day & night.β˜€οΈπŸŒ™

Β  That point about parallel society rings about right for the time period as a while, though I keep thinking of the Victorian period which, well, is later on. Noting of course that point that there was no need to head off to begin with, of course aristocracy would stay in as long as could be gotten away with, the servents had the morning covered.

It's all Ham-over to me anyways

1 hour ago, Codename Shrimp said:

Story/Setting i am quite interested in - atleast there're some stakes this time! And will probably end with us destroying the dream world.

Once again, you have to absolutely murder the dream world.

So many examples by now.

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

"Instructions for Patching

Apply Patch using the xdelta command line:

xdelta.exe -d -s (old_file) (delta_file) (decoded_new_file)

old_file should be a copy of Legend of Zelda Spirit Tracks US/EU depending on patch
delta_file is the patch (zelda_spirit_tracks_dpad.xdelta)
decoded_new_file is the filename after patching"

If it was a simple drag and drop i'd do it but it's command prompt stuff that i'm too lazy to do.

Odd, I've gotten an application that can patch xdelta without a terminal for a while now.

If this works maybe that's fine? I just found it nice to have the option personally, commandline can be finicky at the best of times.

An aside, Got the content patch on SD, but despite saying it'd work on emulator, the attempt to play it crashed out where it said it would on flashcart in an emulator. Repeatedly. Across multiple emulators.

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Yeah for the longest time, i put off on playing the two games because of the touch screen. Or rather, the main screen is the touch screen so you have your hand getting in the way.

The d-pad patch is a work around but a lot of the game is still dependent on the touch screen. Moving blocks, charting course. Using items is the only thing that actually kinda works, the boomerang has more versatility in these games than in any other except maybe Tears.

I don't think I felt my hand was much of an impediment, though that is as much a benefit of level design as anything else.

And yes, DS Boomerangs are certainly more varied in applicability than in other games, though arrows do cover the elemental use often enough in other games.

30 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Also, I just realised something for a BinB remake. It'll have to address in some form the Manga weapons. They were originally a tie-in to reference the manga, but there's very little argument they'd do nothing about them in a remake right? This could be a whole other issue for adding another second protag to a game that already has several potentates to that role when the base story is Boi's journey. And if a BinB remake incorporates the whole of Al's arc? Oh boy I can see how well that goes down already.

Even if it just retcons them out, what do they get replaced with? Steels and a heal staff will not be worth the trouble, especially for late on.

I feel they can keep them as-is, and be fine.

But then... why waste it? Go all out with it! Rerelease the manga but now in other languages too! Add Al and company to Heroes (if if it still running by then), incorporate the manga's plot to the remake as a Hector Mode esque addition (doing the necessary tweaks to be compatible, of course).

Per previous remakes, they all add new stuff. So, why not add something that's already there?

59 minutes ago, Dayni said:

Doesn't work for generics, I checked

Huh

Til

Feels like an oversight tbh

Or they didn't want no names to have superpowers xD

Β maybe Save editor?

1 hour ago, Dayni said:

Once again, you have to absolutely murder the dream world.

So many examples by now

That's just my guess

But that's how usually these stories end