• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

11 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

i usually prefer digital as well

but when it comes to switch i prefer physical for one reason: cheaper prices.

Wait, Switch games on digital are really more expensive?

Edited by Acacia Sgt

17 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Wait, Switch games on digital are really more expensive?

I find them cheaper in shops.

Like i got FE16 for 47€ (was 60€ in eshop). XBDE (which i hopefully will get soon) is 50€ in my local Media Markt, while 60€ in eshop. etc. Older games are cheaper physically, in generally (that, and i can get them used if i want to pay even less money.)

And Ninty sale don't ever come close to Steam Sales

Edited by Shrimperor

1 hour ago, DragonFlames said:

A fair assessment and good points all around, however MegaNep is one of my three all-time favorite games, so... I just can't think of it otherwise.

Yeah that's understandable.

18 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

And Ninty sale don't ever come close to Steam Sales

The joke is Nintendo having sales in the first place.

Nah but for real, i get that cheaper prices thing. Nintendo rarely drops prices on their games so sometimes it's possible to find them cheaper on local game stores.

21 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Nah but for real, i get that cheaper prices thing. Nintendo rarely drops prices on their games so sometimes it's possible to find them cheaper on local game stores.

Amazon and Walmart in particular usually have AAA Switch games at around ten or fifteen dollars cheaper than MSRP.

Some video game musics are so amazing, I can't help but be just entranced by how well they are sung.

Edit: Just realized an amazing KH1 mod got taken down by it's developer because people are stupid, what a surprise. That makes me sad.

Edited by lightcosmo

5 hours ago, Armagon said:

The joke is Nintendo having sales in the first place.

There are multiple sales every year (spring, summer, Black Friday).

Though the price of Nintendo games isn't dropped as much (~1/3) as by other publishers.

Unlike for 3DS there are actually lots of sales of Switch games by Nintendo.

3 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

A KH1 mod? Oh, what it was about?

It's called Kingdom Hearts Critical Mix, and it changed a bunch of stuff, and was overall really fun. Too bad people ruined it by being dumb.

Edited by lightcosmo

I have just reached Northgand in Tales of Berseria so i think this is a good place to post my first impressions.

• Thank God it's an actual 3D ARPG. I've already had more fun with this in the first hour than i ever had with Tales of the Abyss. I hope Tales of Arise leans closer to actual 3D ARPG and less Linear Motion Battle System.
  • The whole "soul points" and how they determine how you can combo your attacks reminds me of Xenogears' Deathblow system. Though Xenogears is turn-based while Berseria is an ARPG.
  • The Beast Carnage (i forget if it's actually called that but whatever the thing is that you learn when fighting that dragon) seems pretty broken. The game says that every time you use it, you give up a soul point and the enemy gains a soul point but i was able to spam it somewhat in that fight and there were no detriments. Let's see how far this carries me.
  • Defensive options are kinda jank. Sidestepping only seems to work sometimes and it feels like it's better to just move away rather than sidestepping or blocking attacks. I'm playing on Moderate btw.
  • Speaking of diffculty, i had it on the hardest for the most part. Even on the hardest difficulty, i noticed most enemies just stand there and i only had to lower it to moderate because that Oscar guy was the first actual threat. But that was also before i had access to Beast Carnage.
  • Velvet is edgy as fuck but it doesn't seem to be the cringy kind (ok maybe a little bit). This is good. Too early on Magilou and the other guy to make any real calls yet but they seem like they'll be good.
  • Music is.........apart from Magilou's theme, none of the songs have really stuck with me. I feel like these early songs at least are more unmemorable than bad (there's a difference).
  • Why is there no sprint button?

Overall, mostly positive. I have some minor issues but nothing too serious.

Edited by Armagon

Berseria is one of the darkest Tales games, if not the darkest.

Velvet is "cringy" for very good reasons.

It's indeed a rather easy game, even on higher difficulties.

The music didn't impress me either overall, but it had some good themes.

Berseria has one main weakness: uncreative dungeons

If you want to see complicated built dungeons with hard puzzles, you'll be disappointed.

There are two decently designed dungeons at best (final dungeon is one of the two).

Also postgame is a mess (unless you like time pressure).

Edited by Falcom Knight

20 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Music is.........apart from Magilou's theme, none of the songs have really stuck with me. I feel like these early songs at least are more unmemorable than bad (there's a difference).

Tales OSTs are always led by Motoi Sakuraba (barring Legendia and Innocence), often with a second composer in tow. 

This said, although steady work is to be appreciated, he's been at it for 15 games + other non-Tales jobs. You might be able to say the grind since '95 has worn at him. -Although I haven't played Berseria so I can't say myself. Even ACE+ I'm sure would eventually waver at moments if they had to crank out that many XC OSTs which is why the Sawano experiment wasn't a bad idea.

So, just today I found out Commander Keen would've had a new game... if it hadn't seem to have bombed its reception and has seemingly quietly canceled.

Well, what a bummer. ... let's rectify that...

Happy music!

35 minutes ago, Falcom Knight said:

We talking Majora's Mask time or Atelier time?

14 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

This said, although steady work is to be appreciated, he's been at it for 15 games + other non-Tales jobs. You might be able to say the grind since '95 has worn at him. -Although I haven't played Berseria so I can't say myself. Even ACE+ I'm sure would eventually waver at moments if they had to crank out that many XC OSTs which is why the Sawano experiment wasn't a bad idea.

I can see that. I've actually seen some complaints that Tales music eventually gets too samey when compared across the series.

I think Dragon Quest also has a similar thing because whenever I see people talk about the good points of DQ, the music is almost never brought up. Everyone knows how problematic the composer is but the music itself barely gets talked about besides the iconic themes.

Also regarding the comment about the Sawano experiment, I can see what you mean. I feel like there's a somewhat noticeable shift in ACE+'s style between Xenoblade 1 and 2. Best example is the Future Connected battle theme. It sounds a lot more like a Xenoblade 2 song than a Xenoblade 1 song.

More reason to have Xenoblade games alternate imo. Sawano's style is unlikely to change but it'd be interesting to see how ACE+ refines their style when they aren't composing for consecutive Xenoblade games.

You could be me and still have your favorite regular Tales battle theme be Take up the Cross

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

I think Dragon Quest also has a similar thing because whenever I see people talk about the good points of DQ, the music is almost never brought up. Everyone knows how problematic the composer is but the music itself barely gets talked about besides the iconic themes.

Think it's mainly because DQ games don't have the most music ever in their ost, usually. I quite like DQ music but that's just me, a lot of good gems in them, and I think the battle themes are always spot on.

When it comes to Tales music... nothing beats Fighting of the Spirit. Nothing!

I particularly like this version:

---

On the subject of Dragon Quest music... well, I like it overall. I am particularly fond that it seems to be mostly... hmm, how could I describe it. Tame, but still grand? I don't know...

Edited by Acacia Sgt

9 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

On the subject of Dragon Quest music... well, I like it overall. I am particularly fond that it seems to be mostly... hmm, how could I describe it. Tame, but still grand? I don't know...

DQ has some pretty good music from what I remember. 

54 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I think that's how I'd put it as well.
I really like the chapter 5 overworld themes in DQIV, though.

3 hours ago, Falcom Knight said:

Berseria is one of the darkest Tales games, if not the darkest.

Velvet is "cringy" for very good reasons.

It's indeed a rather easy game, even on higher difficulties.

The music didn't impress me either overall, but it had some good themes.

Berseria has one main weakness: uncreative dungeons

If you want to see complicated built dungeons with hard puzzles, you'll be disappointed.

There are two decently designed dungeons at best (final dungeon is one of the two).

Berseria seems to be interesting. I'd honestly say at least for myself it's the only one I've actually thought about playing. 

9 hours ago, Armagon said:

I'm petty af, I know. XD

3 hours ago, Armagon said:

I have just reached Northgand in Tales of Berseria so i think this is a good place to post my first impressions.

• Thank God it's an actual 3D ARPG. I've already had more fun with this in the first hour than i ever had with Tales of the Abyss. I hope Tales of Arise leans closer to actual 3D ARPG and less Linear Motion Battle System.
  • The whole "soul points" and how they determine how you can combo your attacks reminds me of Xenogears' Deathblow system. Though Xenogears is turn-based while Berseria is an ARPG.
  • The Beast Carnage (i forget if it's actually called that but whatever the thing is that you learn when fighting that dragon) seems pretty broken. The game says that every time you use it, you give up a soul point and the enemy gains a soul point but i was able to spam it somewhat in that fight and there were no detriments. Let's see how far this carries me.
  • Defensive options are kinda jank. Sidestepping only seems to work sometimes and it feels like it's better to just move away rather than sidestepping or blocking attacks. I'm playing on Moderate btw.
  • Speaking of diffculty, i had it on the hardest for the most part. Even on the hardest difficulty, i noticed most enemies just stand there and i only had to lower it to moderate because that Oscar guy was the first actual threat. But that was also before i had access to Beast Carnage.
  • Velvet is edgy as fuck but it doesn't seem to be the cringy kind (ok maybe a little bit). This is good. Too early on Magilou and the other guy to make any real calls yet but they seem like they'll be good.
  • Music is.........apart from Magilou's theme, none of the songs have really stuck with me. I feel like these early songs at least are more unmemorable than bad (there's a difference).
  • Why is there no sprint button?

Overall, mostly positive. I have some minor issues but nothing too serious.

Ayy! Glad you're enjoying it so far! 😃

• Agreed on your hope for Arise. I want them to stay with Berseria's gameplay style.
  • Defense in Tales is usually like that. Just move away from your enemy and watch what they do. Advantage is that, so long as they target you, your allies can attack them without fear. It's a minor way to cheese some bosses. If all else fails, blocking is your friend.
  • Difficulty-wise, Berseria is not the hardest game in the world. On the highest difficulty setting, it is tough, but satisfyingly so, in my opinion. It's the first and only Tales game I played from beginning to end on the hardest setting and while I died... many times, I still had a load of fun with it. But I think Moderate is a good difficulty to start on.
  • Magilou is a show-stealer, and Rokurou is the bro'est of the bros. As far as Velvet's edginess is concerned, I'd say it works.
  • I agree with your criticism about the music. For the most part, it makes for nice background noise, but it is not a soundtrack I would listen to in a vaccuum (with the exception of a few tracks, such as the ever glorious Magilou's Theme. Magikazam!) (By the way, how did you like Magilou introducing herself with like ten names? XD)
  • As for why there is no sprint button... well, that's a spoiler for a game mechanic, so I'll zip my lip on that one.

Next, some tips, if you want:

• Make sure you collect as many of those Katz Soul things (the glowing dots you can collect) as you can. Those give you some funny rewards.
  • Velvet's Consuming Claw gives you buffs and a special arte to use depending on the enemy type you used it on, but be warned that if you use it repeatedly to extend your combos (which you can do, it's pretty friggin' broken), it will start to drain your HP if you stop attacking.
  • Be on the lookout for herb items. Those can give your party members permanent stat boosts.
Edited by DragonFlames

28 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

And her being edgy makes sense, considering what happened

Anybody would be edgy after that.
I know I would.

Berseria spoilers:

It also pays off wonderfully in her character development.

6 hours ago, Caster said:

Think it's mainly because DQ games don't have the most music ever in their ost, usually. I quite like DQ music but that's just me, a lot of good gems in them, and I think the battle themes are always spot on.

Oh is that how it is? Because of Smash Ultimate, i was under the impression that DQ music was more prevelant in the games. I'm wrong in that assumption, then?

5 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

If all else fails, blocking is your friend.

Maybe so but i feel like even blocking isn't as good as just moving away. Enemies attack too quickly to react with a block and since enemies are just standing there most of the time, i can't actually predict when an attack is coming.

(By the way, how did you like Magilou introducing herself with like ten names? XD)

She was absolutely making that up lmao.

Ngl, i didn't think she'd show up this early. She felt out of place compared to everyone in the prison.......actually, with how she dresses, she'd be out of place anywhere so i take that back.

Make sure you collect as many of those Katz Soul things (the glowing dots you can collect) as you can. Those give you some funny rewards.

I think i missed one in the prison, am i allowed to go back later or am i just fucked?

As far as Velvet's edginess is concerned, I'd say it works.

4 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

And her being edgy makes sense, considering what happened

Yeah i'm fine with it. There's a few kinda cringe edgy lines but i don't think it's really a detriment to her character. I just think even good edgy characters inherintly are a bit cringy at times. Jin from Xenoblade 2 is a great character but he literally pulls out the "nothing personal kid" card in the first chapter of the game.

On the subject of Tales music real quick, the only song from the series i know has stood out to me is the Tales of Zestiria OP. It's a banger and the same band later went to make this absolute banger from Promare.