• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

13 minutes ago, Benice said:

At least you're most likely not as bad at art as me...

Incorrect.

13 minutes ago, Benice said:

Is this really a good thing tho

It means I attended a class!

——

Time to go check out the CYL everyone is talking about!

Not gonna lie, I'm more excited to find out who'll lose the poll this time. So far it's three playables and one NPC (a ratio that I find to be egregious, but 'aight, you do you FE fanbase), with Jugdral as the least popular realm with three losers and Archanea following with one. It also confirmed me as the biggest hipster in the fanbase, since one of those four happens to be one of my favorite characters (was for a long time before CyL 3, too).

I wonder who it'll be this time. Maybe... Robert. Yeah, Robert seems like a good candidate. You decide which Robert I mean. Lemme tell you, the fact that even the devs forgot they already had a Robert when making the second Robert is telling enough.

3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Kaga did Gatekeeper first.

C5ybvxnx o

My work here is done. I'll show myself out now.

More reasons to vote Gatekeeper then

4 minutes ago, Sooks said:

This is gonna sound really stupid

BUT

where are people seeing the results?

39 minutes ago, Benice said:

I don't know how to feel about this...

I've never made a meme, don't plan on it. Likewise I'm... 😑.

This said, there are far worse things on the Internet than harmless silliness over a video game. So I can't let myself get worked up over it.

36 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Gatekeeper

IMG_20210125_111354.jpg

Now, where does "visibility" fall?

By which I mean, the (not related to skin) exposure of audiences to a character. Think of it like this, almost all lords make it into the high ranks of the CYL polls, and so do the FEH OCs, despite them being -usually- regarded as flatter than paper and more shallow than a kiddie pool. Also keep in mind that Roy has never had his game officially released outside of Japan, but still won CYL1.

In other works, it doesn't so much matter what the character or what they do, being very visible can make them popular. We could probably apply this to KOS-MOS too, if she stirs up crowds, how many actually know her, as in having actually played Xenosaga?

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I'm going to assume that the "popularity triangle" assumes the characters in question are well known.

For example, Sylvia is pretty fanservicy and yes, she's in Heroes.....but she's nowhere near the top 20 i think.

All right, in the end I decided to go through the trouble of logging in so I could vote for Frost. What kind of fan would I be if I didn't? A fake fan, that's who. And considering I'm literally his only fan in the entire world, I cannot afford to be fake! Might log in tomorrow to toss a vote at Arran as well, and the day after for Matthis. Pretty sure I won't get more votes.

4 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Make Marianne happy by voting for her in the CYL5

606675845456592916.png?v=1

She deserves it.

She's a girl, she's from Three Houses and she's the "must protecc" type. She doesn't need my help. I mean, she's third, for crying out loud, and her competition's Byleth and Bernadetta. I have no preference, I hate all of them.

...Okay, though, jokes aside; I don't hate Marianne. Bernadetta's traumas are played for jokes and fanservice, and I hate her for it. Byleth has no character and a design worse than anything in Fates, and I hate her for it. Marianne and her suicidal depression are treated with some respect by the game, at least.

Just now, Armagon said:

However, that is a named NPC, so it's not as funny.

Maybe not, but he's in a better game so he wins

4 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Hm...what to continue with today...?

HK? Or AoC?

You have notyet unlocked Best Boy in AoC, so that.

Or whatever else you wanna play.

41 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Incorrect

Time to flex!

My fine motor skills* are so bad that it's considered a disability! https://www.additudemag.com/what-is-dysgraphia-understanding-common-symptoms/

*stuff like drwaing and writing by hand, sewing, etc.

I'd say, the only thing I'd be against Marianne making it to the Top 2 is that I feel that if she does, then Hilda must do so too with her. Or in the next CYL, but I see that harder even if she's in the Top 10 currently.

21 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

By which I mean, the (not related to skin) exposure of audiences to a character. Think of it like this, almost all lords make it into the high ranks of the CYL polls, and so do the FEH OCs, despite them being -usually- regarded as flatter than paper and more shallow than a kiddie pool. Also keep in mind that Roy has never had his game officially released outside of Japan, but still won CYL1.

Since this looks like the fates weapon triangle, it is the secondary “weapon” of the fan service category, being weak to good writing because that would obviously effect your decision way more if you knew beyond the “visibility” but effective against memes because are sort of a shallower visibility. But then maybe it should go there... it might be effective against good writing because a lot more people know them like that then by writing, generally, which would mean more votes on that front, but would a majority of those be because of “visibility” or because of the writing? And why would it be weak to fan service? Because that’s a more effective way of people like characters at a glance? 🤔

6 minutes ago, Benice said:

You have notyet unlocked Best Boy in AoC, so that.

Spoiler

Calamity ganon?

Frankly, the most surprising thing about this year's CyL for me is that Eirika is winning. I would've expected Three Houses gals to win every poll from here to the release of the next non-remake FE. Can anyone tell me how Eirika can be winning? Don't get me wrong, I like it, but why?

Just now, Saint Rubenio said:

Can anyone tell me how Eirika can be winning? Don't get me wrong, I like it, but why?

She and Marth both uave been real close for a long time.

8 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:
  Hide contents

Sidon? I'll be getting him pretty soon, I think.

Smh, you spoiled yourself.

But that ain't Best Boy!

2 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Hide contents

Calalamity ganon?

Nope! 

I don’t understand, why do they pick the two most popular guys and gals and not just the four most popular characters? Fan service?

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Frankly, the most surprising thing about this year's CyL for me is that Eirika is winning. I would've expected Three Houses gals to win every poll from here to the release of the next non-remake FE. Can anyone tell me how Eirika can be winning? Don't get me wrong, I like it, but why?

Because she’s a lord.

No really, that’s it. I mean her personality is just a step above cardboard but her design is pretty nice.

As far as 3H females, that requires playing the game AND enjoying its cast which are from absolutes among players and everyone knows the lords and sees that they’re cool. At least, that’s how I interpret it.

But 3H females are awesome! Best cast in the series! If I wasn’t determined to see gatekeeper win, Dorothea and Annette would get some votes from me. I mean, they wouldn’t win, but...