Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

16 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Heavy Rain has nothing on Beyond Two Souls. A game based around choices where your choices don’t matter with really stupid puzzles is not my cup of tea, thank you very much.

I know little about Beyond Two Souls, and what little I do know makes me think it's even worse than Heavy Rain in none of the ways that made Heavy Rain fun to laugh at for me, at least.

What is it with me and liking really obscure types of gameplay?

Heavy Rain and Detroit more like interactive movies than games. And, y'know what, I think that's perfectly fine. A movie where you can control where the plot goes sounds like a pretty nice idea. I hesitate to call these things "games", but that doesn't make them bad pieces of media.

The problem is that you need the story to be really good for something like this to work, and the choices need to have real weight to them so the game doesn't end up feeling like a long-ass movie with awkward facial expressions. In my opinion, Heavy Rain fails at the first part, whereas Telltale failed at the second every single time, even in their best games. Few games of this kind out there succeed at both.

Detroid does reasonably well in both aspects, although I find the non-Connor stories to have some glaring flaws, and I don't like how the entire story revolves around Markus to the point where you are incapable of getting a good ending if he's dead, no matter what the other two characters do. Still, for all its flaws, I think Detroit's still a strong contender for the best game of the genre. Either that or Until Dawn, I'd say.

That is what I did, because your only options for all the main characters to live are that or to mess up in chapter 30 and get captured, and who wants to mess up there?

What part was chapter 30, again? I'm sorry, I don't know the chapters by number.

Although, when you return the tickets, he says “You’ve saved our lives!” so I wouldn’t be sure they’re human...

When in doubt, assume. They human.

...Or, y'know, you can also nuke. You'd be taking a bit of a gamble, but if your theory's correct, the baby would be saved! Hurray!

Edited by Saint Rubenio

• Replies 179.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

Well, what do you know. The entirety of modern Atelier is now on Switch.

The Switch continues to be the JRPG machine.

(It's funny tho, the original version of Lydie & Suelle was already on Switch and it's not even that old).

10 hours ago, Benice said:

Perun's on Rex, Adenine's on Nia. Perun's arts currently have 10, 14 and 9 recharges, Adenine's are 8, 13 and 11. They're not even that slow...But I don't enjoy 'em as much as I do Pyra.

That's fair. Aegis is the fair and balanced option (until you get Mythra).

Btw, the recharge numbers matter less when you do auto-attack cancels and combine it with recharge boost pouch items.

4 hours ago, Dayni said:

Marth ending up third after being first would be unprecedented. And some sick humour. You'd have to laugh.

I kinda wanted it to happen because it's CYL tradition that Marth gets cucked.

Although he's getting cucked from getting a prf skill anyway so I'll take it.

58 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Ahh, Detroit Become Human, is it? David Cage's best game. Not that that's saying a lot. David Cage is awful at his job.

Never forget 

aqqrdemx28w21.png

*Insert meme of Obama giving himself the medal*

Oh, Beyond Two Souls is amazing. Not really in a fun way, though.

It constantly jumps back and forth on the timeline with no rhyme or reason. I suspect the reason for that is that David Cage wanted to hide the fact that there is nothing tying the individual story arcs together. Because considering the creepy background of the game, that David Cage made a photo album with pictures of Eliot Page at different stages of his life, I would bet that he intended for this game to be essentially the "Ellen Page Variety Hour". Like, he just wanted to put Eliot Page into a whole bunch of different scenarios with no real concern on how those scenarios are connected.

...on the bright side, he managed to have a game with a female main character who only nearly gets raped twice. Which is less then Madison, who can't go a single scene without either being assaulted unless she is playing nurse for Ethan. So yay.

27 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I know little about Beyond Two Souls, and what little I do know makes me think it's even worse than Heavy Rain in none of the ways that made Heavy Rain fun to laugh at for me, at least.

It is. It’s not fun at all, and the “””plot””” is so boring...

Heavy Rain and Detroit more like interactive movies than games. And, y'know what, I think that's perfectly fine. A movie where you can control where the plot goes sounds like a pretty nice idea. I hesitate to call these things "games", but that doesn't make them bad pieces of media.

Yep. It’s not a very popular thing on the internet, though...

The problem is that you need the story to be really good for something like this to work, and the choices need to have real weight to them so the game doesn't end up feeling like a long-ass movie with awkward facial expressions. In my opinion, Heavy Rain fails at the first part, whereas Telltale failed at the second every single time, even in their best games. Few games of this kind out there succeed at both.

Yes yes yes yes yes. So many games of the genre, and they all follow the exact same format of choices that don’t really matter. I’ve heard good things about the walking dead, at least.

As far as the story needing to be really good... eh. The gameplay, in my opinion, doesn’t need that good of a story to back it up. As long as it’s entertaining I will have fun. Assuming the choices matter.

Detroid does reasonably well in both aspects, although I find the non-Connor stories to have some glaring flaws, and I don't like how the entire story revolves around Markus to the point where you are incapable of getting a good ending if he's dead, no matter what the other two characters do.

Huh. I didn’t know that. Well, all hail John then. Savior of the game.

Still, for all its flaws, I think Detroit's still a strong contender for the best game of the genre. Either that or Until Dawn, I'd say.

Don’t know much about Until Dawn, do your choices matter? Is the story entertaining?

What part was chapter 30, again? I'm sorry, I don't know the chapters by number.

It was called Crossroads, it’s the first chapter where you play as every character, and it’s the one where they’re all on Jericho. At the end (or maybe earlier, I don’t know) you can get captured by the soldiers and taken to an android destruction camp, triggering a completely different final chapter for Kara. I don’t know much about what happens here, but the camps are such horrific environments that I would rather avoid playing through that.

When in doubt, assume. They human.

...Or, y'know, you can also nuke. You'd be taking a bit of a gamble, but if your theory's correct, the baby would be saved! Hurray!

The bomb doesn’t kill androids? Did I miss that line somewhere..?

Edited by Sooks

13 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Never forget 

aqqrdemx28w21.png

*Insert meme of Obama giving himself the medal*

But... people die all the time in David Cage's games... Heck, each character has action sequences where they kill people even in the best endings of Detroit! What are you talking about, Cage, my dude?

25 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Oh, Beyond Two Souls is amazing. Not really in a fun way, though.

Hwahahahahah... Yes, that's about what I've heard of it.

15 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

It constantly jumps back and forth on the timeline with no rhyme or reason. I suspect the reason for that is that David Cage wanted to hide the fact that there is nothing tying the individual story arcs together.

He wanted to be like Tarantino, when really he's closer to Shyamalan. Or Neil Breen.

16 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

...on the bright side, he managed to have a game with a female main character who only nearly gets raped twice. Which is less then Madison, who can't go a single scene without either being assaulted unless she is playing nurse for Ethan. So yay.

Ah, yes. One of Heavy Rain's biggest flaws, and one that I can't laugh at. Madison is treated with such disrespect. Doesn't help that she's an utterly useless character in the plot, too. It feels like she only exists to satisfy Cage's fantasies, which is... all sorts of fucked up, honestly.

18 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Yep. It’s not a very popular thing on the internet, though...

That's probably because 95% of the games of this kind suck. The concept isn't necessarily bad, but it is rarely executed well.

19 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I’ve heard good things about the walking dead, at least.

The first Walking Dead and perhaps The Wolf Among Us were, in my opinion, Telltale's only good games (of their post Walking Dead era, at least, I don't know much about their previous titles). Season 1 of TWD had a couple of choices that mattered, and the story wasn't a complete clusterfuck of terrible characters and convoluted deaths just yet.

21 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Don’t know much about Until Dawn, do your choices matter? Is the story entertaining?

It's entertaining, all right. It's initially a somewhat lighthearted parody of slasher B-movies and their tropes, until it takes a turn halfway through. Doesn't take itself too seriously, but that doesn't mean its bad. Most choices matter, too. Every character can live or die, and with two exceptions, all characters can die at multiple points of the game. Though not without flaws of its own, it's definitely a step above its peers. Certainly more competent than any of Cage's attempts.

The nuke doesn’t kill androids? Did I miss that line somewhere..?

You did, the game goes out of its way to make it very clear. It's why the androids even begin to consider using it.

7 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

But... people die all the time in David Cage's games... Heck, each character has action sequences where they kill people even in the best endings of Detroit! What are you talking about, Cage, my dude?

Yes, you can’t survive Jericho without killing people. I mean, you could just have Marcus die before then, I wonder how that affects the story...

7 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

You did, the game goes out of its way to make it very clear. It's why the androids even begin to consider using it.

Maybe it’s because I didn’t accept it because that’s absolutely not a good ending.

1 minute ago, BrightBow said:

At least Heavy Rain will always have the Shaun!!! glitch.

Hide contents

Ahahahahahahahaha... That never fails to make me laugh. Best part of the game, right there, alongside Scott's horrendous facial rigging.

Oh, but you didn't even mention the best part - the glitch is still there in the "remastered" version on PS4! All they did was increase the quality of the textures. Beyond that, the animations are still awkward, the facial expressions are still hilarious and they didn't even bother fixing the most infamous glitch. The absolute badasses copy-pasted the friggin' game and sold it all over again! How shameless do you have to be?!

1 minute ago, Sooks said:

Yes, you can’t survive Jericho without killing people. I mean, you could just have Marcus die before then, I wonder how that affects the story...

Connor can lead the rebellion in his absence if he turned deviant prior to Markus's death, but then David Cage goes "Nope, fuck you" and deus-ex-machinas you into a bad ending. If Connor doesn't turn deviant, North becomes leader of the rebellion and it ends up even worse because North is the worst character in Detroid Become Human.

1 minute ago, Sooks said:

Maybe it’s because I didn’t accept it because that’s absolutely not a good ending.

Hah! Well, fair enough.

Just now, Benice said:

'Morning!

I want to tear your Berwick husbando apart, from limb to limb, until he's begging for the sweet release of death.

...Okay, no, I like Esteban, but-- Goddamnit, man, the black rider in Scorpion's Sting is his fault!

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Connor can lead the rebellion in his absence if he turned deviant prior to Markus's death, but then David Cage goes "Nope, fuck you" and deus-ex-machinas you into a bad ending.

Is there anywhere I can find details on this?

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

If Connor doesn't turn deviant, North becomes leader of the rebellion and it ends up even worse because North is the worst character in Detroid Become Human.

I actually knew this, but again, not the details. Maybe I should just leave that rando going to Canada with no bearing on the story alive and see what happens...

Just now, Saint Rubenio said:

...Okay, no, I like Esteban, but-- Goddamnit, man, the black rider in Scorpion's Sting is his fault!

Hah, Imagine not having Esteban at level 20 so he can ORKO the Black Rider there.

Just now, Saint Rubenio said:

I want to tear your Berwick husbando apart, from limb to limb, until he's begging for the sweet release of death.

I'm starting to be kinda glad you went through this after the LP, or else you'd probably just take your anger out on him in the fanfic sections. He doesn't deserve such pain.

It's a thing he does in his LPs, where every few updates some randos he wrote have a little side plot. He couldn't recruit Esteban in that LP, so he added him as a side character to those sections later on.

5 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Is there anywhere I can find details on this?

I can give you a serious summary.

Spoiler

Assuming you got the good ending, you know that sequence at the end where Amanda shows up and is like "you were intended to infiltrate the rebellion Connor, now we can take over and use you to dismantle it from within"? And then you explore the snowy place and find an exit?

If Markus is dead, Connor cannot fight Amanda's influence, so he either commits suicide or gives up and dooms the rebellion. Why does Markus's death keep him from freeing himself? I haven't the faintest idea.

10 minutes ago, Benice said:

Hah, Imagine not having Esteban at level 20 so he can ORKO the Black Rider there.

Hah, imagine not having Leon and Adel promoted so they can lance his sorry behind.

...Adel was unfortunately not promoted yet. He got to 30 spear points in that very map. Leon sent the bastard flying, though.

4 minutes ago, Spara said:

I'm starting to be kinda glad you went through this after the LP, or else you'd probably just take your anger out on him in the fanfic sections. He doesn't deserve such pain.

Hahahaha... Actually, I already went through this in my second run of the game. The LP was my third. So... yeah, I'm mostly joking, not really angry at Esteban or anything. Besides, the only person I take out my anger on in the fanfic sections is myself.

4 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Rubenio wrote Berwick fanfiction?

Not really Berwick fanfiction. It's a gimmick of my LPs where I write crappy sidestories with characters I made up and/or characters from the game I'm playing. Mostly just for the fun of it.

29 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I can give you a serious summary.

Reveal hidden contents

Assuming you got the good ending, you know that sequence at the end where Amanda shows up and is like "you were intended to infiltrate the rebellion Connor, now we can take over and use you to dismantle it from within"? And then you explore the snowy place and find an exit?

If Markus is dead, Connor cannot fight Amanda's influence, so he either commits suicide or gives up and dooms the rebellion. Why does Markus's death keep him from freeing himself? I haven't the faintest idea.

FFFFFF

Well, at least Connor was the one who died in a quick time event and not Markus, after I won literally all of his fights.

I mean, I reset that part, but still...

I think that was the only time I got a death of a playable character, and the only time I failed a quick time event sequence.

Edited by Sooks

4 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I find it very humourous that @Benice said "good morning" and @Saint Rubenio just immediately responds with he wants to commit murder on one of Benice's favorite characters.

Well, what can I say. It came to me naturally. If you had to subject yourself to the things Esteban's quest for love entails, you'd want to murder him to death too.

Or, y'know, just leave him for dead. There's plenty of opportunity, seeing how he shows up in friggin' turn 20.

...Okay, no, but seriously. I like Esteban, and his arc is really good. I just find it hilarious that Kaga decided "oh, you like this character? You wanna use this guy? Good! Now these two maps are more difficult. Enjoy!"

Morning everyone. *waves*

How's it going?

Been playing more Age of Calamity. Almost to the last chapter. Gotta say, the second half of the game really picks up as far as story goes, although I thought it was quite good already. Looking forward to beating it.

Just now, Wraith said:

The meme has become the top male pick in the FEH’s poll.

I meant more was there ever anything sacred?