Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

11 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I think i would've went that if i didn't play xb1, as i said xD

I was more like "cool" xD

Cool?

It reminds me, lightning doesn't strike twice. Well it can, but on subsequent flashes, you might be able to admire it, but it won't necessarily induce the awe of the first.

...Do I post some chill music now? I can't decide.

6 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Its kinda shame the later third game missed one of the marks that made the first two so iconic, that graceful storytelling.

"Graceful storytelling?" In enjoyed Golden Sun back in the day, and would truly like to see its resurrection after Dark Dawn murdered it. But the storytelling... where to begin?

The characters need some work. DD was particularly egregious in Eoleo and especially Himiko(?) feeling like filler, yet most were rather flat and underdeveloped. They'd need about five Golden Suns' worth of Psynergy funneled into their souls nowadays to be considered good, they have a little charm and minor development, but nowhere near enough.

Even back in the day, there was a weird recognition of "so many little lines, so little being said" or something to that effect on my part. Maybe it was the tiny size of the text boxes that was to blame, but the conversations could go for a while, without them being good.

Then there was the aimlessness, a good deal of The Lost Age is spent roaming around without much of a sense of purpose. You do have the goal of getting to the other two Lighthouses, except the first of them is reached 3/4ths of the way into the game.

Dark Dawn invented some new problems for itself, but I'd say on top of that, that it failed to correct the errors of the first two games.

• Replies 179.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

5 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The characters need some work. DD was particularly egregious in Eoleo and especially Himiko(?) feeling like filler, yet most were rather flat and underdeveloped. They'd need about five Golden Suns' worth of Psynergy funneled into their souls nowadays to be considered good, they have a little charm and minor development, but nowhere near enough.

I got a little more out of Himi thanks to some foreshadowing from The Lost Age, where mindreading her mother reveals that she is thinking about Himi's brother (soon to be born at the time) one day having to repay the favor done to their family by aiding the descendants of Felix...

11 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Then there was the aimlessness, a good deal of The Lost Age is spent roaming around without much of a sense of purpose. You do have the goal of getting to the other two Lighthouses, except the first of them is reached 3/4ths of the way into the game.

Hence my comment about both good and bad coming with the epicness that epitomized the Lost Age.

1 hour ago, lightcosmo said:

Good to see that Megadimension Nep has nice ordering skills:

4a5c639fdc9fe5ecc4088390d164e4fa.png

For those that care, i Figured i'd end up modding this one for some good fun as well. I mean, why not?!

You casually modded something? That’s cool!

Edited by Sooks

This feels like mystic core time hype!

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

It reminds me, lightning doesn't strike twice. Well it can, but on subsequent flashes, you might be able to admire it, but it won't necessarily induce the awe of the first.

This is a perfect way of putting it. I wasn't awed as i already saw what's coming, but i enjoyed it quite a bit that area and how it was done

1 hour ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

I got a little more out of Himi thanks to some foreshadowing from The Lost Age, where mindreading her mother reveals that she is thinking about Himi's brother (soon to be born at the time) one day having to repay the favor done to their family by aiding the descendants of Felix...

Ah yes, was his name in Dark Dawn was Takeru wasn't it? What a shame he, like so many others is stuck in a "Golden Sun DD sequel" Limbo. Alongside: Issac, Garet, Jenna, Mia, Sheba, Ivan, the people of Kolima, Piers, Alex, the Dark Empyror, Felix, so many mentioned in the background, as if to be seen again some day, a day that shall never come.

XC2 spoilers for those that haven't gotten far:

I was wondering what others thought of:

Reveal hidden contents

Rex's new look? Better or worse? That would be after you unlock Pnuema of course.

Thinking about it...

Spoiler

Rex's new costume is, most unfortunately, rather generic-looking.

Rex has a fashion problem, and akin to the one I find with Yew in Bravely Second with all his varying job/class costumes. If you don't mind me explaining in some detail....

• Yew looks so "Well, he is a hero, but that is it". It might be a little cute, suiting a young and inexperienced boy with heroic aspirations and vigor, but it is boring. At times he looks like his mom dressed him for school picture-day. Although several outfits adequately reflect Yew's noted bookish wisdom.
  • By contrast in Bravely Second, Magnolia has a fragile beauty, with a dash of sexy, in her class costumes.
  • Edea often has a cuteness that is tomboyish in her attire, with a hint of sexual attractiveness coming from that femininity with strength.
  • Tiz goes with a bad boy coolness in his stylings, while being male like Yew means they usually wear similar outfits.

Rex's color scheme has a feeling of standard-issue. Blue in video games has that association with "we're the good guys" in some instances and it affects him. The white and the shade of green chosen unfortunately produce something of a "minty toothpaste" image for me. The non-color aspects of the outfit are very unimpressive.

Is Rex the Master Driver? Or is he Master Driver no. 1863725? I think I can pick up a better-looking MD Suit at Eldridge's Emporium of Excellent Equipment for 40% off.

Although I can't end this without discussing's Rex's regular costume. It looks odd, some would say terrible. I don't mind the puffy legs and small jumpsuit with belts that make it look like it's shorts when it's not. Factoring in the context of his full salvaging wear it isn't so bad. The solid blue isn't a problem here for me as it is with the small traces of it on the MD design, as Rex is the main character wearing his default clothing, he can be generic in coloring. It is MD that disappoints, because MD is supposed to be awesomely special, and it doesn't feel like it.

The MD makes the "leg armor, yet the shorts and inner legs are exposed" aspect look worse. Akin to Fire Emblem's Sothe and the Whisper costume preserving the belly shirt that was okay for the Rogue appearance. Although, the Japanese in RD arguably implies Micaiah picked Sothe's new outfit possibly based on what looked good *wink wink* to her and Yune made it happen. So uh, Pneuma, I hope you didn't do the same with Rex, he is underaged you know.

The one indisputably positive set of clothing Rex has is his swimsuit, amongst his fellow XC2 males at least. Tora goes Wrongtaku, and what's with the tie at the beach Zeke?! I simply cannot stand that stupid infernal detail! Rex performing specials with Dromarch looks absolutely adorable, like he is having a good time time by the seaside.

I spent too long trying to properly formulate my thoughts on this.😆

Laptop is almost out of juice, and it's late night for me. I'll have to see what you think of my critique tomorrow morning.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

Really a shame. DD wasn't exactly subtle in telegraphing Takeru was likely to be the fourth game's protagonist (gotta keep 'em as Venus Adepts, aye)... if there was ever a fourth game...

3 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I looked at it. Yes you can. Prior to Chapter 8, no. But where you are, absolutely yes.

Thanks^^

*takes a look*

@lightcosmo

Spoiler

I quite like it, even if it's generic. Mainly because  it's better that his half short/pant thingy xD

XC2 spoilers for those that haven't gotten far:

I was wondering what others thought of:

Reveal hidden contents

Rex's new look? Better or worse? That would be after you unlock Pnuema of course.

Spoiler

I quite like the Master Driver outfit myself. I like how it matches with Pneuma and I just like sci-fi designs in general.

47 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

This feels like mystic core time hype!

It is very cool. To go in a bit more detail about the current area (wait you are at the World Tree now, right? Ignore the spoiler if you aren't)

Spoiler

I remember when I first set foot in the World Tree, I just stood there listening to the music. It has that feeling of "you're finally here, climbing what you've seen in the distance for so long" combined with a sci-fi tone. Prior to getting there, I expected the World Tree to be an actual tree but the area theme really sets in that it's actually a man-made structure.

40 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I remember when I first set 

Spoiler

Ehhh. I can kinda see what you mean that it looks somewhat generic but as I've mentioned above, there are additional factors that make it stand out to me. If it was just the suit alone, I might agree with the genericness criticism but when you look at the context, it makes a lot of sense.

10 minutes ago, Armagon said:

ait you are at the World Tree now, right?

Stopped at the 'entrance' for now. Will continue a bit later. Might go and do some quests and nodes before i enter.

Also there's a heart to heart i can't reach at

Spoiler

Moryth

1 minute ago, Shrimperor said:

Stopped at the 'entrance' for now. Will continue a bit later. Might go and do some quests and nodes before i enter.

Ah.

You can go get Poppi QTPi now btw.

2 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Also there's a heart to heart i can't reach

Spoiler

Yeah, took me a bit to find that one too. You have to go up the building by where you met Jin, there's gonna be a power switch inside (Electric Mastery needed). Turn it on, then find the elevator shaft in the building and climb it. Then just follow the path until you exit onto the other side of the highway. Run towards the far end, knock down one of the signs with some Field Skills to use it as a bridge to get into another building, then climb the latter (which will also require Field Skills).

I hope I explained it right.

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

You can go get Poppi QTPi now btw

Oh

Let me guess i gotta go to Tora's house?

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:
Spoiler

Yeah, took me a bit to find that one too. You have to go up the building by where you met Jin, there's gonna be a power switch inside (Electric Mastery needed). Turn it on, then find the elevator shaft in the building and climb it. Then just follow the path until you exit onto the other side of the highway. Run towards the far end, knock down one of the signs with some Field Skills to use it as a bridge to get into another building, then climb the latter (which will also require Field Skills).

I hope I explained it right.

This sounds complicated...

Still, thanks!

8 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Let me guess i gotta go to Tora's house?

Yes. 

Letting you know in advance, you're gonna need Lv.5 Forestry and Lv.3 Ancient Wisdom. You probably have this covered though.

8 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

This sounds complicated...

I mean, it'll make sense (hopefully) when you get there but yeah.

7 hours ago, Armagon said:

Spoiler Talk

Reveal hidden contents

Ehhh. I can kinda see what you mean that it looks somewhat generic but as I've mentioned above, there are additional factors that make it stand out to me. If it was just the suit alone, I might agree with the genericness criticism but when you look at the context, it makes a lot of sense.

More spoiler talk:

Spoiler

In the moment, I believe I was more impressed. What I said above is a cold, after-the-fact assessment. 

Helping it is that not being expected, because it usually isn't in Monolith's repertoire to do that.

The sci-fi doesn't inherently make it better for me, nor the context overall.

Oh, and it looks better in 3D than as 2D artwork. Might be the opposite with Rex's normal outfit.

8 hours ago, Sooks said:

You casually modded something? That’s cool!

haha, thanks.

7 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

A

Reveal hidden contents

Rex's new costume is, most unfortunately, rather generic-looking.

Rex has a fashion problem, and akin to the one I find with Yew in Bravely Second with all his varying job/class costumes. If you don't mind me explaining in some detail....

• Yew looks so "Well, he is a hero, but that is it". It might be a little cute, suiting a young and inexperienced boy with heroic aspirations and vigor, but it is boring. At times he looks like his mom dressed him for school picture-day. Although several outfits adequately reflect Yew's noted bookish wisdom.
  • By contrast in Bravely Second, Magnolia has a fragile beauty, with a dash of sexy, in her class costumes.
  • Edea often has a cuteness that is tomboyish in her attire, with a hint of sexual attractiveness coming from that femininity with strength.
  • Tiz goes with a bad boy coolness in his stylings, while being male like Yew means they usually wear similar outfits.

Rex's color scheme has a feeling of standard-issue. Blue in video games has that association with "we're the good guys" in some instances and it affects him. The white and the shade of green chosen unfortunately produce something of a "minty toothpaste" image for me. The non-color aspects of the outfit are very unimpressive.

Is Rex the Master Driver? Or is he Master Driver no. 1863725? I think I can pick up a better-looking MD Suit at Eldridge's Emporium of Excellent Equipment for 40% off.

Although I can't end this without discussing's Rex's regular costume. It looks odd, some would say terrible. I don't mind the puffy legs and small jumpsuit with belts that make it look like it's shorts when it's not. Factoring in the context of his full salvaging wear it isn't so bad. The solid blue isn't a problem here for me as it is with the small traces of it on the MD design, as Rex is the main character wearing his default clothing, he can be generic in coloring. It is MD that disappoints, because MD is supposed to be awesomely special, and it doesn't feel like it.

The MD makes the "leg armor, yet the shorts and inner legs are exposed" aspect look worse. Akin to Fire Emblem's Sothe and the Whisper costume preserving the belly shirt that was okay for the Rogue appearance. Although, the Japanese in RD arguably implies Micaiah picked Sothe's new outfit possibly based on what looked good *wink wink* to her and Yune made it happen. So uh, Pneuma, I hope you didn't do the same with Rex, he is underaged you know.

The one indisputably positive set of clothing Rex has is his swimsuit, amongst his fellow XC2 males at least. Tora goes Wrongtaku, and what's with the tie at the beach Zeke?! I simply cannot stand that stupid infernal detail! Rex performing specials with Dromarch looks absolutely adorable, like he is having a good time time by the seaside.

I spent too long trying to properly formulate my thoughts on this.😆

Laptop is almost out of juice, and it's late night for me. I'll have to see what you think of my critique tomorrow morning.

Spoiler

I can totally agree to the part about the colors and the leg armor. While i like the whole, "they match" idea, Rex just doesn't do it justice. 

And his leg armor just... looks out of place on him. I've never played bravely second so i can't say i understand the comparisons, though.

7 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

@lightcosmo

Reveal hidden contents

I quite like it, even if it's generic. Mainly because  it's better that his half short/pant thingy xD

haha, i'm not sure that's much consolation for the guy, but i agree, i also very much like

Spoiler

the new portrait they gave him. Fits him wayyyyy better than whatever the hell his original is supposed to be.

6 hours ago, Armagon said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I quite like the Master Driver outfit myself. I like how it matches with Pneuma and I just like sci-fi designs in general.

Fair enough,  nothing wrong with that!

Edited by lightcosmo

22 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

haha, i'm not sure that's much consolation for the guy, but i agree, i also very much like

And to this I say

Spoiler

I think I prefer the old portrait. The new one does have serious endgame determination from growth on it, but the chill, happy charm of the first is very likable.

As for the Bravely Second comparison, the point was that when I compare everyone in the same class in that game, Yew almost always ranks dead last out of the four characters for me. The personality he imbues into his clothing lacks for interest again and again for most of the 30 classes. There are few costumes where it works out and the other characters fail, but those are in the minority.

With a, roughly, comparable personality to Rex, Yew's constant fashion failures stem from that kind of personality getting assigned an all-too ordinary appearance, which is the same as Rex's MD problem, it's too basic for what they were going for.

Or, think of it like this- if the other Drivers got Master Driver costumes, would they look better than Rex? Would they add superior personalized flairs that Rex's lacks? Let's rule out Tora, because he'd be a hi-tech volleyball, but Nia, Morag and Zeke? Zeke could look hella better than Rex.

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

And to this I say

Reveal hidden contents

I think I prefer the old portrait. The new one does have serious endgame determination from growth on it, but the chill, happy charm of the first is very likable.

As for the Bravely Second comparison, the point was that when I compare everyone in the same class in that game, Yew almost always ranks dead last out of the four characters for me. The personality he imbues into his clothing lacks for interest again and again for most of the 30 classes. There are few costumes where it works out and the other characters fail, but those are in the minority.

With a, roughly, comparable personality to Rex, Yew's constant fashion failures stem from that kind of personality getting assigned an all-too ordinary appearance, which is the same as Rex's MD problem, it's too basic for what they were going for.

Or, think of it like this- if the other Drivers got Master Driver costumes, would they look better than Rex? Would they add superior personalized flairs that Rex's lacks? Let's rule out Tora, because he'd be a hi-tech volleyball, but Nia, Morag and Zeke? Zeke could look hella better than Rex.

Spoiler

I like the new one cause i think the "pose" fits Rex much better. It says "Rex" to me. The other one is just... i don't get it.

hmmmm, you're right, they could have been better, but i think i'm still happy with what we got. 

Lol Aethin changed Perceval's line in chapter 12-1. Now instead of being bad at negotiating he's a badass. How neat.

For context, in the old versions he said "I'll make you a deal! My life for hers!" and then immediately casts thunder on the captor. Now he says "I'll make you a deal! Your life for hers!", which is absolutely amazing, honestly.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

8 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Lol Aethin changed Perceval's line in chapter 12-1. Now instead of being bad at negotiating he's a badass. How neat.

For context, in the old versions he said "I'll make you a deal! My life for hers!" and then immediately casts thunder on the captor. Now he says "I'll make you a deal! Your life for hers!", which is absolutely amazing, honestly.

#Aethindidnothingwrong

Alright, so i made a somewhat messy, i admit, list of where all of Megadimension Nep's skillsets are stored for modding, in case anyone cared or was interested.

I know i am the only one, though xd

More spoiler talk:

Reveal hidden contents
Spoiler

Oh yeah, I agree it looks better in 3D than in the artwork. Which I would also say for Rex's normal outfit. Seeing it in motion makes me forget that the design is kinda silly.

And to this I say

Reveal hidden contents

(Ah fuck, I put the other quote in the first tag)

Yeah, I do think if the other characters got "Master Driver" variants, they'd look better than Rex. With the exception of Nia, assuming all she gets is a high-tech version of her jumpsuit.

@Shrimperor since you're gonna be doing quests right now, buy the Core Crystal Hunters info from any infomant. That will let you trigger a quest in Torigoth that will let you obtain Praxis (Water Megalance).

This quest is kinda easy to miss since nobody really checks informants since they have a reputation for providing basically nothing in most cases.