Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I hope I didn't sound like a jerk there. Apologies if I did.

You did not.

Good difficulty and gameplay. That's... honestly about it. I can excuse just about anything else, but I've played enough great FEs and FE-likes that stuff like PoR, which I probably would've liked if I played it in my early FE days, just doesn't give me any enjoyment anymore.

But that means we have the same standards. That cannot be, because you’re so wrong!

Oho? That true? Well! Turns out you're a sensible person after all, perhaps you'd even enjoy Berwick Saga...

Did you actually think that I only found Three Houses’ gameplay passable? What did you think made it my favorite then, the waifu simulator?

SoV's map design drags it down to oblivion.

Hmm... interesting to see a correct opinion from you.

I did seem to... but in retrospect, all I did was toss Catherine and Shamir with brave weapons at every single problem while the rest of my team helped ever-so-slightly. No, seriously, nobody could do anything other than those two. Except Leonie, and that's a big maybe.

Everyone on my team has a use right now. Did you give them all their fair share of exp?

...You know, maybe my problem was just that my team was RNG-screwed big time. I know Claude was, but... Well, maybe everyone else was, too.

Really? In growth emblem? Well, that’s some terrible luck. Sorry.

• Replies 180.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

I can't believe I'm more hyped for a Sony event than I ever was for any Nintendo Direct, simply because there's a chance that there'll be news about the Lego game. It's not even guaranteed!

1 minute ago, Sooks said:

But that means we have the same standards. That cannot be, because you’re so wrong!

You, who has not basked in the light of Berwick Saga, dare to criticize my views?! Inconceivable!

...Goddamnit, I sounded like a generic boss again...

1 minute ago, Sooks said:

Did you actually think that I only found Three Houses’ gameplay passable?

Wait.

Oh, shit. I'm a blind fuckin' moron, I misread what you said! I thought you were saying that you didn't find it passable enough. I thought that was strange! I take back what I said, you're not sensible at all and you wouldn't like Berwick Saga

2 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Everyone on my team has a use right now. Did you give them all their fair share of exp?

I did! I never stopped to grind because then I would've dropped the game even faster, though. Perhaps the lack of grinding was my problem.

If that is the case, that just confirms to me that Maddening is an awful difficulty.

3 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Really? In growth emblem?

Oh yeah, dunno about the rest, but Claude was absolutely RNG-screwed. And because he was too weak to kill things, he fell behind in levels. Piece of trash, ruining the game in every sense of the word!

Well, that’s some terrible luck. Sorry.

Thanks for the sympathy, at least.

8 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

You, who has not basked in the light of Berwick Saga, dare to criticize my views?! Inconceivable!

...Goddamnit, I sounded like a generic boss again...

Actually you sound more like a boss of the evil cult. Maybe not the leader, but one of the ones you fight before the leader.

Wait.

Oh, shit. I'm a blind fuckin' moron, I misread what you said! I thought you were saying that you didn't find it passable enough. I thought that was strange! I take back what I said, you're not sensible at all and you wouldn't like Berwick Saga

Huh. And I thought you were actually complimenting my appreciating my favorite FE for its gameplay. Should have known better than to expect that from a Berwickian!

I did! I never stopped to grind because then I would've dropped the game even faster, though. Perhaps the lack of grinding was my problem.

If that is the case, that just confirms to me that Maddening is an awful difficulty.

I mean, I have grinded, but only for class masteries. I don’t know if they were necessary though.

Edited by Sooks

5 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Actually you sound more like a boss of the evil cult. Maybe not the leader, but one of the ones you fight before the leader.

You talk like those aren't the most generic of them all.

Huh. And I thought you were actually complimenting my appreciating my favorite FE for its gameplay. Should have known better than to expect that from a Berwickian!

Hah! Now you are the one who sounds like a generic boss!

I mean, I have grinded, but only for class masteries. I don’t know if they were necessary though.

I didn't need to because I was on NG+. Huh...

1 hour ago, Sooks said:

Although I might reclass Caspar after chapter 13. War master is great as well.

I love Killer Knuckle War Master myself, it has no right to be as reliable an option for what it is.

The if you can pick up QR, it makes Raphael a good option for combat. Raphael.

Well, do you remember what masteries you bought back?

Uhhh... Whatever dark mage's mastery was for Hanneman.

Yeah... Clearly my problem was I underestimated the difficulty. Should've gone all wyvern, should've gone all wyvern.

50 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I had just completed fe7 and was like “okay, that was the first outside of Japan one, now let’s see how the series has changed in x amount of years”. I had no idea how the gameplay could have evolved.

Funnily enough, that was my best friend's experience too. He played FE7 on Wii U, thought it was neat, wouldn't play another FE until Three Houses. He didn't like it overall tho.

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Funnily enough, that was my best friend's experience too. He played FE7 on Wii U, thought it was neat, wouldn't play another FE until Three Houses.

FE7 seems to be a ton of people's first game. Even far after it's time as the only FE in the west. The extended tutorial definitely helps when you haven't played a strategy game in your life.

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

He didn't like it overall tho.

Based friend, I don't even like the word based and I'm using it, that's how you know he's really based

3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

FE7 seems to be a ton of people's first game.

It's really easy to get into.

3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Based friend, I don't even like the word based and I'm using it, that's how you know he's really based

His main problems were with the story. He liked the characters (as in, the Black Eagles because he only did Crimson Flower) but he thought the story was rather weak.

He's indifferent towards the gameplay iirc.

Honestly, not really. The FE7 tutorial is bad. Really bad. It is both misleading and unfocused. Useful information is buried under tons of useless babble, and even the important information usually isn't made very clear.

For example, right on the first map before you know anything about the game, it feels the need to inform you that you cannot move the tactician. Thanks, otherwise I would have spend the next 20 minutes moving a unit that's not even on the map.
It also teaches you that if an enemy kills you in 2 hits, you should totally just attack it on player phase and just hope you dodge one of the two attacks the enemy gets before you can make another move.

3 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

It also teaches you that if an enemy kills you in 2 hits, you should totally just attack it on player phase and just hope you dodge one of the two attacks the enemy gets before you can make another move.

But you should be able to decide for yourself that isn’t a good idea when you seen forced to do it.

9 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Oh yeah, the Lyn and Batta fight that forces you to attack him on player phase. Yeah... to be honest, that's a pretty bad choice in an attempt to create fake tension in the weirdest way. But I think the tutorial's pretty good otherwise. It teaches you in a rather entertaining way. Of course, we're all pros here so we find it shitty, but it did its job well enough. Heck, it even teaches you to instapromote units to get extra power early on, and we just didn't listen for years!

4 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Heck, it even teaches you to instapromote units to get extra power early on, and we just didn't listen for years!

And this is the morally correct way to play.

Unless it's Tellius.

13 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

When does that happens...?

11 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

It doesn't? I don't remember any situation like that in any of the 3-4 times I've played FE7.

In the tutorial on the prologue when Lyn fights the boss, on normal mode the game makes you attack him on player phase when his counter would kill you, but also forces a dodge.

Edited by Sooks

I figured. I was confused since he typed "two attacks" and I was like, "when is Lyn doubled?", but he was referring to the player phase single attack, followed by the enemy phase single attack, which would be back to back.

Ultimately, the battle is clearly scripted, I doubt anyone would think they are meant to do stuff like that usually.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

1 minute ago, Shrimperor said:

me when doing galaxy brain strats...

which honestly not many FE games require me to now that i think about it

Galaxy brain strats are more for the funny tbh.

Except when you mess up.

Just now, Sooks said:

But you should be able to decide for yourself that isn’t a good idea when you seen forced to do it.

If that's supposed to be the takeaway from this, you would think the mountains of text the game throws at you would point that out. Instead we get Lyn praising the tactician for a job well done. Not like it even tells you what any of those numbers actually do, so you have no way to determine the power discrepancy.
It's pretty obvious what happened here. They just wanted to have a dramatic turnaround with no consideration for the purpose of the tutorial itself.

My personal favorite part of the tutorial is when it teaches you about unit death. Pretty important topic. So how does it handle this:

Blue units are allies. Direct them on the field as you did with Lyn before. Be warned: if Lyn is defeated, your journey is over, as is your game. If other blue units are beaten, the game will continue, but fallen companions will be unable to return to battle for the rest of the tutorial. 

It's pretty ambiguous, isn't it? They "will be unable to return to battle for the rest of the tutorial". You should be really clear on that if a unit dies, they won't come back ever. In fact, it doesn't actually tell you that permadeath is a thing at all. This is phrased in such a way as if you already knew that permadeath was a thing, you just didn't know that in this case you will get them back after the tutorial.
And what does  "the tutorial" even mean in this context? Even at the time, it wasn't unusual for games to explain new game mechanics late into the game. And those chapters aren't in any way marked as a tutorial. This only becomes apparent after the fact,. After you beat the whole game and you see the game segregated into Eliwood, Hector and Lyn modes. But not when you just started the game.
Plus, if someone actually does die, there is a cutscene at the end of the chapter that tells you that they are actually perfectly fine. They just got injured and are taking a break. This suggests that they will simply be down for a few maps.
It's not until map 6 that you have someone join you who will specifically leave the part after they die. Because of that, it took me until chapter 9 for me to realize that all the injured party members were not coming back, because Erk only died in 8x, so I restarted the whole thing all the way back from the beginning.

It's actually pretty amazing how Advance Wars and Fire Emblem clearly had very similar direction but one of them failed so utterly. The player gets a "tactician" self-insert and starts out in a tutorial section against an easily humiliated villain.
Except in Advance Wars this sequence is clearly marked as a tutorial.
There is no punishment for doing poorly in one map as long as you still win and you can in fact do them in any order. So there is never a need to ever restart the whole thing.
Also you can replay any tutorial mission too, in order to catch up on anything you might have missed or forgotten about. Keep in mind, the Advance Wars campaign is still linear. So Fire Emblem can't use it's own linear nature as an excuse.
And of course, you can just skip most of the thing by simply selecting the final lesson from the start.
Pretty sure the actual tutorial part is a lot better at it's job too, but it's not like the game forced me to replay it a million times, because as I said, you can just skip ahead.
Lyn Mode is just such a half-assed mess by comparison.