Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

2 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

It wouldn't. Pilots are the standard "get EXP and level them up" fare. Mechas are more the "use money to upgrade them" variety, and every enemy drops money.

Oh, then that’s okay. I just really don’t care for grinding heavy games.

• Replies 176.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

Just now, Acacia Sgt said:

Admittedly, it is a problem if you didn't had the game box on hand.

31129-fire-emblem-game-boy-advance-back-

Has a screenshot of playable Hector, but you certainly didn't had that by Lundgren...

How did you played Blazing Sword for the first time, if I may ask?

Hey, if the tutorial isn't actually meant to teach me the game, just tell me this and don't waste my time with 12 maps of forced sequences.

But yeah, it was emulation. I didn't specifically look for it. It was part of a selection from a school mate. I recognized the name from Smash and there you go.

I did try buying it shortly after, but there were no copies anywhere. I was just lead towards my beloved Sacred Stones and my even more beloved Path of Radiance, so those two were the first games I actually owned. I didn't get my hands on an actual copy of FE7 until I could buy it used years later.

1 minute ago, BrightBow said:

I was just lead towards my beloved Sacred Stones and my even more beloved Path of Radiance

You like games Kaga wasn’t involved in??

2 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

If FE is dragging you down... well, you know the rest.

Play Vanguard Bandits?😛

44 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Bad idea to not start with a mage, actually. Since they get spells like Oomph or Buff. If you don't want them as damage dealers you'd at least want their support spells. At least you can class-change later on.

Depending on how easy it is to train up a Gadabout later for a Sage, maybe I'd go and do that, if I didn't want to convert my Priest into a Sage.

And I was thinking that, since I think the Hero is mandatory, and as I'd like more healing than he'd provide, a Priest. And I thought "they give me so many options, a Mage can't possibly be practically mandatory". A Warrior costs money to equip, so I went for Martial Artist instead, a Thief sounded alright for a first timer.

44 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Personally, I've never done the quiz the honest way, heh.

Aww, 'cmon! The game went through the process of creating 32 different outcomes! You do it a disservice.

Heroes aren't born sexy, they start utterly pathetic and by reading mind-altering books become sexy! 

-Unless their parent don't like it, Jessica's mom wasn't pleased when I gave her daughter Guns n' Buns.

Sacred Stones was my first FE, and it went pretty fine; the in-game guides were there if I needed 'em, and otherwise, it was generally "Move characters on a grid, don't die."

...Which I was, and still am, very bad at.

I think Lyn Mode's problem is that it's needed for the true ending and didn't seem to have much thought put behind the story, but eh.

Edited by Benice

Awakening was my first. I played it by ear rather than focus on the tutorials too much. I played pretty well, tbh. FE (from FE6 onward)  is generally something you can pick up and get into pretty easily.

9 minutes ago, Sooks said:

You like games Kaga wasn’t involved in??

I mean, I do have PoR listed as my favorite game.

That being said, going further then FE6 is quite the trip if your understanding of the series is shaped by the GBA era. Like, I had these ideas of things I would like to see in the series, and then it turns out they already existed and were simply axed when transitioning to the GBA.
It was shocking to realize how much the series devolved since the Super Famicom. And baffling to see that all those mechanics they brought back in Sacred Stones and PoR were actually done better back then too. And it's not like they were even done well back then.
Then you see those flawed ideas actually improved and polished in TRS and Berwick Saga on top of a whole new bunch of interesting mechanics and it becomes such a disappointment that Fire Emblem simply hasn't advanced since the 90s.

Edited by BrightBow

I started with fe7 and was complete and utter garbage. I made a save state every turn and used almost all of them while doing things like giving Matthew kills and benching fliers on principle (except Heath who I tried to use (but benched) and Vaida who had good bases). Good times, good times...

I mean for goodness sake, I had to lower the difficulty from hard to normal on my first play through of Three Houses (my second play through of an fe game)! Although I don’t remember when I lowered it, it was either the battle of the eagle and lion, war of the eagle and lion or endgame.

Edited by Sooks

1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Depending on how easy it is to train up a Gadabout later for a Sage, maybe I'd go and do that, if I didn't want to convert my Priest into a Sage.

And I was thinking that, since I think the Hero is mandatory, and as I'd like more healing than he'd provide, a Priest. And I thought "they give me so many options, a Mage can't possibly be practically mandatory". A Warrior costs money to equip, so I went for Martial Artist instead, a Thief sounded alright for a first timer.

At least you don't have to worry about the book, heh. You can do both. There's only two books to turn any other class into Sage, so use the first one on your Priest, then turn someone else into Gadabout who then turns into Sage.

Spells aren't too much of a lost cause, actually. Specially since they're harder to disrupt their damage output. All it takes is an enemy knowing Buff/Kabuff... or Disruptive Wave, and all your set-up to optimize your physical attacks goes down the drain.

8 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Aww, 'cmon! The game went through the process of creating 32 different outcomes! You do it a disservice.

Heroes aren't born sexy, they start utterly pathetic and by reading mind-altering books become sexy! 

-Unless their parent don't like it, Jessica's mom wasn't pleased when I gave her daughter Guns n' Buns.

I know, I know...

Second attempt against the Angel of Darkness was going well with my semi-paralysis resist equipment (i had nothing for 100% resist). Even got the boss to visibly on low health.

Then my equipment decided to fail me and the boss decided to do his cheat strats over and over, dragging out the fight.

Well, if the Angel of Darkness wants to cheat, then so will i.

22 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Spells aren't too much of a lost cause, actually. Specially since they're harder to disrupt their damage output. All it takes is an enemy knowing Buff/Kabuff... or Disruptive Wave, and all your set-up to optimize your physical attacks goes down the drain.

Couldn't I just -*checks and sees nobody learns Disruptive Wave*. ...I stand corrected. Hero + 2 Sages + Physical sounds like a great strat later in the game.

Makes me a little sad though, because it sounds limiting on class diversity. A fifth character slot wouldn't have been the worst idea. -But it's a game from 1988, so I forgive it.

6 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Second attempt against the Angel of Darkness was going well with my semi-paralysis resist equipment (i had nothing for 100% resist). Even got the boss to visibly on low health.

Then my equipment decided to fail me and the boss decided to do his cheat strats over and over, dragging out the fight.

Well, if the Angel of Darkness wants to cheat, then so will i.

Did you have any issues with the four-eyed cyclops beforehand? People tend to have trouble with him, because once it uses Orb of Magical Offense, he beats the crap out of them.

7 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Couldn't I just -*checks and sees nobody learns Disruptive Wave*. ...I stand corrected. Hero + 2 Sages + Physical sounds like a great strat later in the game.

Makes me a little sad though, because it sounds limiting on class diversity. A fifth character slot wouldn't have been the worst idea. -But it's a game from 1988, so I forgive it.

That's what I did. Started a "classic" party of Hero, Warrior, Wizard, Priest, in a 2:2 gender split (Hero and Wizard male, Warrior and Priest female). Turned the spellcasters into Sages when I could. If you're on the SNES or GBC versions, a full female party would be ideal since you can get copies of the best equipment... most of which is female-exclusive. Dragon Quest.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Did you have any issues with the four-eyed cyclops beforehand? People tend to have trouble with him, because once it uses Orb of Magical Offense, he beats the crap out of them.

He definitely hit hard but the challenge was still fairer.

The Angel of Darkness on the other hand just felt like it wasn't respecting my time. If he just had one HP restore move that he uses once in the fight like that one early game boss, it'd have been fine. But with a 500+ HP restore move he can easily use against you, it just started to drag out.

Anyways

Spoiler

SPOILER_unknown.png?width=769&height=432

Maxed out attack moment.

I'm now being reminded of my Xenogears playthrough where i did have cheats turned on for like, most of the game. 

I know i definitely cheated during the Id fight in Zeboim and also every Gear fight because Gear fights suck.

32 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I'm now being reminded of my Xenogears playthrough where i did have cheats turned on for like, most of the game. 

To be fair, on one of my Eternal Wings playthroughs I grinded for so many up-to-date Magnus -picking up 15 of those and 10 of these almost every dungeon- that by the time I was done with the Imperial Fortress, I was in my 70s, possibly already 99. 😅

32 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I know i definitely cheated during the Id fight in Zeboim and also every Gear fight because Gear fights suck.

Gear battles were bad because the UI overlay the actual units both enemy and ally too much. I don't think I could identify anything during the very first fight. -More seriously, fuel consumption and the lack of standard healing were the main problems but at least there was healing, something Gears have over Skells.

14 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

To be fair, on one of my Eternal Wings playthroughs I grinded for so many up-to-date Magnus -picking up 15 of those and 10 of these almost every dungeon- that by the time I was done with the Imperial Fortress, I was in my 70s, possibly already 99. 😅

Damn lmao. And Baten Kaitos is one of those games where the game ends long before you hit the max level, isn't it?

Which, speaking of, i'm nearly done, right? I've just arrived in Mizuti's village (haven't seen the plot there yet, i'm stopping here for now) and i imagine there's not a whole lot of game left. The only other place i can think of that we haven't gone yet that isn't the final area is the tiny little island in between Alfard and Wazn.

16 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Gear battles were bad because the UI overlay the actual units both enemy and ally too much.

I can understand this though i can't say it affected me personally.

But yeah, lack of standard healing was the main problem. You don't even get the first HP Frame until you're making your way out of Kislev iirc.