Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Goddamnit, I want an official localization of this game...

Have to wait for Kaga to respond, since Dangen seems interested in doing so. Hopefully he'll respond soon if he hasn't already, a proper translation for it would be fantastic.

• Replies 180.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

4 minutes ago, Spara said:

Have to wait for Kaga to respond, since Dangen seems interested in doing so. Hopefully he'll respond soon if he hasn't already, a proper translation for it would be fantastic.

Dangen hve expressed interest? That's great... Won't get my hopes too high, though. It's not happening until it's happening.

You know, the journey to piece together Sooks Emblem that a lot of what I consider great maps are not spread throughout the series, but concentrated in a select few games 😂.

If it wasn’t for the game limit almost all of those chapters would have been from Three Houses...

29 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

This is less randomized as last time isn't it.

Aye, the last one ended up with everyone on my team getting OHKO'd by one thing or another, so I decided to have a go where it isn't all down to luck.

Just now, Benice said:

Aye, the last one ended up with everyone on my team getting OHKO'd by one thing or another, so I decided to have a go where it isn't all down to luck.

Why didn’t you pick Rayquaza then?

Just now, Sooks said:

Sooks, I thought that we'd established that I prefer using bad units!

Just now, Eltosian Kadath said:

What would be the fun in that?

Wha- what wouldn’t be fun in starting with a legendary!?

I should try a Pokémon randomizer one day.

8 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Also, wait, I did pick Raquaza!

tA9C3Ya.png

Nors is still hard carrying, of course, but I did take Rayquaza.

LET'S GOOO

SNORLAX FROM ROUTE 2

I must not mess this up...

Welp.

Dill has died from a snorlax tackle crit.

We must say farewell to our first fallen member.

And also say hello to our newest one!

Edited by Benice

4 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

*opens his last HGSS file (with difficulty hack)*

Unbenannt.PNG

What could have happened to make Shrimpy open Pokémon again!?

Edited by Sooks

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

But the present me gets the feeling now that the game would've benefitted from some chillaxing, not dragging us from story point to story point as much. I like the world, the cast fundamentally isn't bad, and it'd benefit both if there had been time made for things other than chasing after golden cards and what emerges from them.

Agreed, it doesn't feel like there's really any breaks in the plot and the character moments are pretty lacking. As such, while the cast works, I do think they're kinda on the weak side as far as Monolith Soft characters go. It does feel like everyone here is just along for the ride.

That being said, I think I'd rank Kalas on the upper half of Monolith Soft protags. At least at the edge of it. Which is to say, I really like him.

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

If you collected & threw away the Thunderfish Bone, you can't get Mizuti's Broken Birdie.

.....oops.

Damn, they really wanted me to hold on to that for that long?

2 hours ago, Spara said:

From what I've heard from people who've actually played HSoS, Kaga went way further off the rails for the second to last map of that game...

All I know is its common moniker: "Lever Hell"

Please don't tell me it also lasts like 70 turns.

I don't even know where people got that endurance.

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Wha-- how's that even work?! I mean, don't tell me, it's a rhetorical question, but... What?

Plot twist: it doesn't.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

.....oops.

Damn, they really wanted me to hold on to that for that long?

It's possible to not collect it and still get that important treasure. I've done it, but I've also not realized it before. They need to move the head a few inches and this wouldn't be a problem, or at least make it infinitely collectible as Origins did with its boss remnants.

Agreed, it doesn't feel like there's really any breaks in the plot and the character moments are pretty lacking. As such, while the cast works, I do think they're kinda on the weak side as far as Monolith Soft characters go. It does feel like everyone here is just along for the ride.

The characters being flat was one of the criticisms back at the time the game was fresh. As I played Tales of Symphonia concurrently in those days long past, good old Tales skits and antics drew me to that game's cast a lot more.

Some also said over a decade ago that the story is too typical. I don't exactly like the bits of "prophecy" they throw in later, they weren't necessary to explain things. And "typical" is shounen, which is XC2 isn't what Xeno is known for instead, it is known for rehashing the six pieces of one plot again and again.

That being said, I think I'd rank Kalas on the upper half of Monolith Soft protags. At least at the edge of it. Which is to say, I really like him.

Interesting. I wasn't sure what you'd think of him with the whole... MAJOR SPOILERS!

Spoiler

betrayal thing.

I knew you liked Lao (and Jin, yet you discovered him post-Torna first, after he chose to undertake actions Lora would never have wanted), but would this be different? -Sure they didn't have the guts to get rid of Kalas forever, but he did go into it of his own free will, no manipulation involved.

I'll say in retrospect the betrayal would've been better if you hadn't killed Giacomo, Ayme, and Folon right before it happened. I understand why they did it, it would've made things messier for the writing to do so afterwards. But Kalas wanted to be stronger for the sake of revenge. If Giacomo hadn't been killed, I think Kalas would've more unflinchingly done it, giving the treason more bite, because revenge meant that much to him.

Although, is there such a thing as a weak Monolith main protagonist for you?

• I know this woman I haven't met is top tier for you.
  • Fei shares that tier.
  • You're one of those people who thankfully doesn't virulently want to see Rex go the way of the Tyrannosaurus (possessed by Mario I mean). 
  • Elma is unfinished but still good.
  • Lora is finished but stuck in a short game,
  • Which leaves Diet-Zero-Calories-Zero-Sugar-Fei-Lite "Shulk"...
  • ...and KOS-MOS as the two Xeno weaklings.

There is a still a little game left, which may tweak your precise placement of him, so I won't ask for a tiering ATM.

Welt by no fault of his own would rank low, due to Soma Bringer not being about the story. Sagi I'm not at all sure of for you. Haken has outward style, but I can't determine what you'd think of him otherwise. Alady, I wasn't fond of him at first, but he has grown on me somewhat over time. (The aforementioned two being legally owned by Banpresto also impacts their consideration as Monolith protagonists. Although Reiji & Xiaomu had an SRW writer on them as well, only freelance work vs. actual Banpresto involvement.) I've seen Reiji & Xiaomu, but I can't truly judge them without PXZ2 or NXC. Kogoro & Mii are complete unknowns I'll see if my eventual gaming laptop can run Citra with that kind of visual insanity, having to buy PXZ used over the Internet b/c not on eShop is inclining me towards that.

19 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Hm? Oh, they're putting SMT III on Steam...

Between this and Persona 4, Atlus might be considering placing its prior works on PC from here on out, but not the new stuff. This is good, because PC gaming makes a marked improvement in the games' accessibility. -Please port Odin Sphere then, it's a low-key favorite of mine.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

49 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Some also said over a decade ago that the story is too typical

The first half is definitely a McGuffin quest, so i can definitely understand the criticisms.

Second half of Baten Kaitos is much better but it still has some problems but i'll save that for when i finish the game.

51 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Some also said over a decade ago that the story is too typical

I will say it was a very bold move.

Spoiler

If there's any criticism i've got of evil Kalas tho, is that he returns to the light a bit too easily. Ripping off his second wing was raw but it did feel convenient. Although with the whole "i don't sense a Magnus within you" deal, which has yet to be explained, i'll give it the benefit of the doubt.

53 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Although, is there such a thing as a weak Monolith main protagonist for you?

Honestly not really lol.

Like yeah, i do have my problems with Shulk and KOS-MOS but i still like them a lot, Shulk just falls a bit short and comparison and KOS-MOS....well i guess KOS-MOS is kinda weak in general but she is thankfully not the sole protagonist of her game.

55 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

There is a still a little game left, which may tweak your precise placement of him, so I won't ask for a tiering ATM.

It's also just a bit too early because i only have Xeno protags to compare right now.

The tiering would flesh out more once i play more non-Xeno Monolith Soft games.

56 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

(The aforementioned two being legally owned by Banpresto also impacts their consideration as Monolith protagonists. Although Reiji & Xiaomu had an SRW writer on them as well, only freelance work vs. actual Banpresto involvement.

Tbf, rights issues and Monolith Soft games go hand-in-hand at this point.

58 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Between this and Persona 4, Atlus might be considering placing its prior works on PC from here on out, but not the new stuff. This is good, because PC gaming makes a marked improvement in the games' accessibility.

Worth noting that the Persona 4 Golden port on PC does have anti-pirating software that just slows down the game and i remember this being an issue for some people. Not people who were pirating it, people who pirate will eventually break through as they always do, but people who bought the game legit reported slowdowns and such because of that anti-pirate software.

Don't know if SMT3R will have the same thing or not.

*proceeds to grind out over 20 million gil in FF XIII 2*

*also me: spends every gil in one sitting.*

Yup, that's how you do it! Spend around 6 hours doing so, and it was gone within minutes.