Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

1 minute ago, Sooks said:

What game are Shrimpy and Ruben getting Kaga’d by?

Vestaria Saga: The Holy Sword of Silvanister (we'll refer to it as HSoS/VS2). It's a very direct sequel to VSI. It's wack.

• Replies 176.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

Just now, Saint Rubenio said:

Is this the one event you mentioned, Spara? The 90 minute read? Goodness fucking gracious...

Yes. Welcome. I'd recommend you set aside some time for this, because hoo boy, there's a lot to unpack. The roughness of the translation will add some extra time, because it won't be 100% clear what's being said. It's still understandable, though, just slightly annoying at a couple places. 

4 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

Morning all!

Oh, and speaking of Musou, I have gotten the chance to play Warriors Orochi 4 Ultimate recently. Fun game!
Even if it reuses maps even more than Three Houses does and the Deification thing they so heavily advertised is practically useless (the characters I played as the most were ones that couldn't use it whatsoever). And its story revolves around the two most overused and by now pretty boring pantheons of deities: Greek and Norse. So that's a bit of a bummer, but I kinda liked the story nonetheless. Their interpretation of Odin was interesting to see. Also, the music is absolutely godlike (no pun intended), particularly some of the remixes of themes from other, previous Musous.

Interesting. Thanks for you opinion on this!

I skipped WO4, but I'm think it's about time I get another Musou, I'm in the mood, so I'll be paying attention to the Samurai Warriors 5 reviews when the game launches this summer.

If you haven't been keeping up on SW5, I believe they've opted to "reboot" the franchise. All the old designs have been dumped in the garbage can, everyone has been freed up to receive new designs (although some still look quite similar, I could clearly identify Hanbei), not merely tweaks of the same ones they've been using since forever. With the changes in design, so too may their personalities and motivations undergo some modifications as well. In addition, they've added an OC ninja guy (representing the ninjas of Iga), an African who historically served Nobunaga, and Ieyasu's eventual wife (who is also Imagawa's niece).

The roster has apparently been shrunk to 27 characters, two of those slots going to second, more mature versions of Nobunaga and Mitsuhide. Rather than tell the entire story of the Sengoku period, they've opted to slow down and focus on Nobunaga's conquests for this reboot. Highly doubtful we'll get Sekigahara, and it'd be weird with Mitsunari gone and Ieyasu looking as youthful old Ranmaru (who they seem to have axed entirely from the game).

If all sells well, we could see an eventual Samurai Warriors 6 pick up from the ashes of Honno-ji and continue the reboot storyline. And perhaps then they could apply the slowed-down reboot direction to the Three Kingdoms as well, since DW9 set the world on fire -like Cao Cao's fleet. And if we get two sets of rebooted mainline Musous, then Warriors Orochi reboot could follow.

4 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

Also, Hades looks like a discount Gilgamesh from Fate, and that's hilarious.
warriors-orochi-4-ultimate-hades-action-

I wasn't aware of what WO4's Ultimate edition had added to the base game. Not bad. Although it cannot best Susano-o's design.

By the way, I bumped into this last night.:

An official remix Atlus threw on a bonus CD, consisting of seven tracks from the game. For some reason, they renamed this track from what it's actually called, maybe because the actual name refers to something that doesn't come up until the game is approaching the end-

Spoiler

Akashic Record.

Also, notice in the logo in the lower left on that image, see anything unusual? 

Spoiler

The things they colored pink are "7" and "NS". Septentrione, North Star.

Well, I've skimmed through it a bit. With a translation this rough, I don't think I'm going to sit and read through all the character moments in detail.

My conclusions:

Spoiler

Asuram can be saved. Woohoo.

Troy is plot-important after having no personality and no role in the entire first game? Okay, sure.

Garlan is boss as always.

Theodel is "dead" again. I hope not for real, this time. The translation makes it awfully difficult to tell if he's really dead, just MIA again or if I'm just plain misunderstanding what they're trying to tell me.

Gene Waltz is the ugliest man in the world and he's the protagonist of the world's most obvious twist.

Speaking of that, is Zoy like, a zombie or what? Vanice seems to imply that he perished and she buried his corpse in Janneth, but he's been running around forever... I thought his wounds were what kept him from speaking, but now I'm thinking he might straight up be undead. That, or the mediocre translation is confusing me. One of the two.

Pink Travant is alive? Shoot, turns out he was actually Pink Michalis all along.

Matthis became a lord in the Vestaria continuity. I'm so happy for him.

Kaga took Hilda away. Nice. Fuckin' beautiful.

And now, on to chapter 7.

39 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Oh, good lord. Oh, my.

Is this the one event you mentioned, Spara? The 90 minute read? Goodness fucking gracious...

Vestaria Saga was a Trails game all along

Spoiler
1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

MIA again or if I'm just plain misunderstanding what they're trying to tell me.

I think it's trying to say that he's been MIA ever since delivering that message to Garlan in Redessa.

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Speaking of that, is Zoy like, a zombie or what? Vanice seems to imply that he perished and she buried his corpse in Janneth, but he's been running around forever... I thought his wounds were what kept him from speaking, but now I'm thinking he might straight up be undead. That, or the mediocre translation is confusing me. One of the two.

The Zoy thing is super weird, and I think a lot of that is from the translation being jank. To my knowledge, anyway, she's basically saying that he did die in the fire of the Blackholt, and she did bury him in Janneth. But, as could be seen from the absolute chad armor knight she summoned back in Chapter 2 with the, y'know, pile of bones next to her, it's possible that she was able to partially resurrect him, in a way. Which would explain Zoy's inability to talk, and also why he just casually walked off back in VS1 when Cyltan said Zade would love to meet the guy who saved Athol's life. Vanice also probably wouldn't want Zade to see a rotting, decaying version of his brother beneath the helmet. Plus, it would explain why Lanna Neere seemed so angry with Vanice, because necromancy is a big no-no in the religion. So yeah, he's basically a zombie.

7 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Kaga took Hilda away. Nice. Fuckin' beautiful.

Bye, Hilda! See you in Norden Civil War! Hopefully!

10 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Gene Waltz is the ugliest man in the world and he's the protagonist of the world's most obvious twist.

Well, not "most obvious." I'd say it's moreso the kind of thing where you'll figure it out quick, but it's not insultingly blatant. 

Spoiler
4 minutes ago, Spara said:

But, as could be seen from the absolute chad armor knight she summoned back in Chapter 2 with the, y'know, pile of bones next to her

...Oh, that's what happened... To be honest, I was convinced that was Zoy, too, coming out of nowhere to save his brother.

5 minutes ago, Spara said:

Bye, Hilda! See you in Norden Civil War! Hopefully!

She really doesn't return, does she. Goddamnit, Kaga... I mean, I respect the intent, but... C'mon, Hilda!

5 minutes ago, Spara said:

Well, not "most obvious." I'd say it's moreso the kind of thing where you'll figure it out quick, but it's not insultingly blatant. 

I mean, for a little while in VS1 I wasn't too sure, but by the end it was really obvious. And in this game, well... He just straight up orders Zade dead. Cezar can say whatever he wants, it was painfully obvious was the true explanation was.

4 hours ago, Dayni said:

Vestaria update: I managed to get wsh57 installed in my wine instance, but that did not result in the demo not crashing out.

*sigh

@Robert Stewart at this point I have to ask directly: Please let me know how you pulled it off.

I can't run the demo anymore because I bought the full game.

For the full game I ran `protontricks 694770 wsh57`.

`WINEPREFIX=~/.steam/steamapps/compatdata/694770/pfx winetricks wsh57` should work the same.

This is the wine bug that I was running into, FYI.

Edit: IIRC you'r on Mac. ~/.steam/steamapps/compatdata/ is where Steam puts its proton prefixes on Linux, not sure if Mac is different.

Edited by Robert Stewart

I wrap skipped this map in fe1. I took one look at how open it was and the high move enemies and went NOPE!

I don’t like open maps. Gah, Echoes PTSD.

Edited by Sooks

3 hours ago, Dayni said:

On the other hand I got Nebby in one ball, which was nice. I'll just add a relevant image here:

2bca208d1e80e0e13a390f0f410a2f22e77d6986 (680×635) | Pokemon, Pokemon sun,  Pokemon characters

7 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

help a budding S&M dominatrix learn her profession"

Oh my god I loved this substory. Yakuza 0 has some really good ones.

...But yeah. As much as people meme about Yakuza's weird side content, the main story IS really dark and serious.

All I'm wondering is if there's the ability to throw people into other people.

You absolutely can! You unlock it midway through chapter 2.

I have a feelin' you're gonna like Beast style.

EDIT: Ch. 2 is about...2-3 hours in? Less if you're quick...Or aren't playing with a keyboard.

Good morning, all!

Edited by Benice

17 minutes ago, Benice said:

As much as people meme about Yakuza's weird side content, the main story IS really dark and serious.

How story heavy is this game, exactly? If it's going to be like, 5 minutes of beating people up and then 30 minutes of watching a movie... I've checked out the Steam reviews and, well, there were conflicting opinions.

13 minutes ago, Benice said:

I have a feelin' you're gonna like Beast style.

Well, have you seen gameplays of Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb? Or Bully: Scholarship Edition? That's the kind of videogame brawling that I absolutely love.

14 minutes ago, Benice said:

Or aren't playing with a keyboard.

You underestimate me. There have been very, very few games where I've gone "yeah, controller's better." I've even played something like Dark Souls, that makes everyone go "OH NO YOU CAN'T PLAY WITH KEYBOARD IT'S IMPOSSIBLE" and I was like "what were they talking about? This is perfectly fine!"

It seems to suffer from the typical JRPG issue where, at least as far as I can see in these gameplays, you cannot see how much damage you're going to deal on an attack. You just have to toss whatever at the enemy and hope for the best.

Ah, i see. Your issue isn't "big numbers", it's "i don't know what those big numbers are gonna be".

6 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

And its story revolves around the two most overused and by now pretty boring pantheons of deities: Greek and Norse. So that's a bit of a bummer, but I kinda liked the story nonetheless.

Eh, i wouldn't say overused. More like, it's the ones everybody knows so it's easy to make a story out of it.

It all depends on how it's used. Hades (the game) has pretty cool depictions of the Greek pantheon, for example.

3 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Because that's what the game really needed, luck-based reinforcements.

What the actual fuck is this garbage?

Suddenly, FE6 Ch.21 zone reinforcements don't seem that bad.

1 hour ago, lightcosmo said:

After seeing all the positive talk about Trails in the Sky, I'm considering trying it out.

LeaHappy.png

52 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Castor, The Impenetrable. 

9 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I don't think you will ever enjoy VS2, seeing as it's shaping up to be Thracia on steroids, and i know how much you hate Thracia xD

9 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Assuming this is about VS, that's not even new for Kaga. FE3 had RNG dependent reinforcements, and I'm pretty sure FE5 did too.

Namco x Capcom is funny because i just saw a cutscene of Tales characters (i think they were Tales) arguing because one of them betrayed them or some shit and then the game goes "meanwhile" and

unknown.png?width=769&height=432

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha! This game was filled with anime characters so this cereal mascot just looks out of place.

3 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

I don't think you will ever enjoy VS2, seeing as it's shaping up to be Thracia on steroids, and i know how much you hate Thracia xD

If i already didn't feel like playing it because of the weird external translation you have to use, then this certainly killed the game for me.

3 minutes ago, Robert Stewart said:

FE3 had RNG dependent reinforcements

That.....doesn't sound right.

Maybe because it's FE3.

1 minute ago, Shrimperor said:

FE5 did? would be news to me...

Or you mean the randomly warp'ing in reinforcements in the Chapter where Ced appears?

I know for sure that FE3 has reinforcements that appear at fixed points but have a random% chance to appear on any given turn.

I'm pretty sure FE5 has some of the same thing.

In FE3 specifically, some reinforcements appear randomly but there's usually a fixed number. I.E. one fort will spawn X number of Barbarians or w/e but there's a random chance of them appearing on any given turn.

It's visible on the first map of Book 2 even: the thief on the bottom left doesn't always appear.

22 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Ah, i see. Your issue isn't "big numbers", it's "i don't know what those big numbers are gonna be".

They're related issues. "Big numbers", even when you know what those big numbers are gonna be, makes it a bit harder to tell at a glance what your attacks will do. For example, the question "will this kill?" is a lot easier when your attack is 22, the enemy's HP is 31 and their defense is 7 than when your attack is 7425, the enemy's HP is 10234 and their defense is 2441. Mind, I'm not saying you need to be a quantum physicist to do these maths, but it does make them a bit more annoying, especially when you'll be doing these calculations all the time.

Of course, this is only a minor inconvenience. The lack of information is by far the greater issue.

Edited by Saint Rubenio