Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

5 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Actually, can you even bench people in Trails?

As others said, the party rotates in the first game.

Actually, the first game of every arc is like this. Aside from the MC, you'll have a different party in every chapter of Sky FC, Trails of Cold Steel and (kinda) Cold Steel 3.

Trails to Zero is the exception here because while there are temporary guest characters, most of the game is just gonna be the main four playables.

But you haven't even gotten there so this is just FYI.

7 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I saw two lines of his and I loved him already. In my experience, arrogant idiots are either the most hateable characters or the most lovable for me, depending on how much the script validates and enables their arrogance. Arrogant Blonde Idiot seemed to be more in the latter category. If I do play Trails, expect me to bully him a ton in the thread... But it'll be with love.

Honestly, Olivier is just more of a blonde idiot than an arrogant one.

But he's still amazing. He shows up in almost every game in the series so you have that to look forward to if you get onboard.

• Replies 179.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

54 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

You underestimate me. There have been very, very few games where I've gone "yeah, controller's better." I've even played something like Dark Souls, that makes everyone go "OH NO YOU CAN'T PLAY WITH KEYBOARD IT'S IMPOSSIBLE" and I was like "what were they talking about? This is perfectly fine!"

A true member of r/pcmasterace right here.

Unlike me despite being someone who did know some PC gaming as a kid.

1 minute ago, Shrimperor said:

Just take your time with the game, it can be a bit slow and it's really really grounded.

I like this line. It has that subtle hint of desperation that you can find in my paragraphs when I'm trying to get someone into Berwick. That hopeful desire to get one more person into one of your favorite games so you can watch their impressions, but the underlying worry that they won't be convinced, or that they'll hate it.

...Or maybe I'm just reading too deep into it. Either way, I like this line.

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

Honestly, Olivier is just more of a blonde idiot than an arrogant one.

But he's still amazing. He shows up in almost every game in the series so you have that to look forward to if you get onboard.

Inb4 I play the entire series just so I can insult Olivier the entire way.

Just now, Dayni said:

A true member of r/pcmasterace right here.

Unlike me despite being someone who did know some PC gaming as a kid.

Less r/pcmasterace and more r/myparentsdidn'twanttowastemoneyonconsolesandcontrolerssoIjustgotusedtokeyboardandmousethroughoutmychildhood.

How's that for a sub name.

Just now, Saint Rubenio said:

I like this line. It has that subtle hint of desperation that you can find in my paragraphs when I'm trying to get someone into Berwick. That hopeful desire to get one more person into one of your favorite games so you can watch their impressions, but the underlying worry that they won't be convinced, or that they'll hate it.

...Or maybe I'm just reading too deep into it. Either way, I like this line.

I suppose that's an understandable feeling.

@Robert Stewart, I wanted to quote to update you but the site straight up prevents me from copying in the warning line I got when trying to add wsh57 into the directory.

I run the winetricks command (redirected to the right directory), but it gave me warning line relating to AppData not being found in the directory and it doesn't look like it's bee installed.

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Less r/pcmasterace and more r/myparentsdidn'twanttowastemoneyonconsolesandcontrolerssoIjustgotusedtokeyboardandmousethroughoutmychildhood.

r/keyboardmasters

3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

...Or maybe I'm just reading too deep into it. Either way, I like this line

hah

It's just the game being grounded and slow and not super epic is something many people complain about, while it's one of my fav. aspects about FC

5 minutes ago, Dayni said:

I run the winetricks command (redirected to the right directory), but it gave me warning line relating to AppData not being found in the directory and it doesn't look like it's bee installed.

Hm, I have no idea what the problem is here. I would suggest trying to google the actual error if that's possible.

Only idea I have is somehow your prefix got corrupted. Maybe forcibly removing the prefix and then trying to re-launch the demo, then running the winetricks command could work.

Another possibility is since the Demo is delisted, it doesn't work anymore. To check the fix, you might try downloading the Japanese version (which is free IIRC, pretty sure it's linked in the wine bug), and setting up a separate prefix for it.

57 minutes ago, Armagon said:

unknown.png?width=769&height=432

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha! This game was filled with anime characters so this cereal mascot just looks out of place.

Klonoa does stick out, from when I glimpsed over the playable roster once. And it's worth noticing that when Project X Zone was released, Klonoa wasn't around, nor was Pac-Man -who never made it into NxC except on Klonoa's hat- nor Sega's iconic Sonic. Whilst both NxC and PXZ feature Mega Mans, Volnutt and X respectively, Classic Mega Man isn't around. And come PXZ2, who from Nintendo is playable? A girl from a JRPG and two characters from an SRPG franchise that has long had "anime" influences, Mario wasn't added, nor Pikachu, or even Link.

It seems to be that they, roughly, established rules about who fits the atmosphere of the "Namco X" crossovers. Klonoa slipped through the cracks in NxC, likely because Klonoa 2 was only four years' old at the time, but between the death of the Klonoa series after 2002 barring the 2008 remake of the first game, the charming rabbit didn't have any grounds for being an exception to the rules anymore. Innocent and simple mascots who usually don't do a lot of talking, don't belong in these very gloriously violent and talkative games.

P.S. A little fun fact about Klonoa. Namco at one point was afraid he was too cutesy for international audiences, but ultimately opted to not use this edgier design they had prepared for the West.:

klonoadesign.jpg?w=584

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

I was discussing NxC on Discord and

Screenshot_20210503-123538.png

Case in point

unknown.png?width=769&height=432

Literally who.

13 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

P.S. A little fun fact about Klonoa. Namco at one point was afraid he was too cutesy for international audiences, but ultimately opted to not use this edgier design they had prepared for the West.:

klonoadesign.jpg?w=584

I'm not sure if i would describe the right design as "edgier". He still looks pretty cutsey.

5 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Trails is one of the strongest contenders in this Thread, right after Xenoblade and FE

This thread literally started as a Trails joke.

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Interesting. Thanks for you opinion on this!

No problem at all!
Despite my gripes listed there, the game was a lot of fun!

If you haven't been keeping up on SW5, I believe they've opted to "reboot" the franchise. All the old designs have been dumped in the garbage can, everyone has been freed up to receive new designs (although some still look quite similar, I could clearly identify Hanbei), not merely tweaks of the same ones they've been using since forever. With the changes in design, so too may their personalities and motivations undergo some modifications as well. In addition, they've added an OC ninja guy (representing the ninjas of Iga), an African who historically served Nobunaga, and Ieyasu's eventual wife (who is also Imagawa's niece).

The roster has apparently been shrunk to 27 characters, two of those slots going to second, more mature versions of Nobunaga and Mitsuhide. Rather than tell the entire story of the Sengoku period, they've opted to slow down and focus on Nobunaga's conquests for this reboot. Highly doubtful we'll get Sekigahara, and it'd be weird with Mitsunari gone and Ieyasu looking as youthful old Ranmaru (who they seem to have axed entirely from the game).

I didn't know Ranmaru was gone, but I'm looking forward to the rest, to be honest! I saw a gameplay video not too long ago, and it looked really interesting!

I wasn't aware of what WO4's Ultimate edition had added to the base game. Not bad. Although it cannot best Susano-o's design.

They also added Gaia as well as the actual Perseus.
And Gaia's design is... well, you be the judge:
WCdalVc.jpg

She's also the single-most broken character in any Musou game I've played to date. She's so overpowered, it's not even funny! Her combos have insane range, you can extend one to have multiple hits with which you can clear away a rather large area of enemies, and she is deceptively fast, too!

By the way, I bumped into this last night.:

An official remix Atlus threw on a bonus CD, consisting of seven tracks from the game. For some reason, they renamed this track from what it's actually called, maybe because the actual name refers to something that doesn't come up until the game is approaching the end-

Reveal hidden contents

Akashic Record.

Also, notice in the logo in the lower left on that image, see anything unusual? 

Reveal hidden contents

The things they colored pink are "7" and "NS". Septentrione, North Star.

Oooh, interesting! Leave it to Atlus to put these kinds of hints in something like a music title!

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Eh, i wouldn't say overused. More like, it's the ones everybody knows so it's easy to make a story out of it.

It all depends on how it's used. Hades (the game) has pretty cool depictions of the Greek pantheon, for example.

Maybe, but I just find that these are kind of the "bottom of the barrel" mythologies, you know? That thing you fall back on when you're lazy as hell (precisely BECAUSE they are so well-known, is why I say this).
There are so many stories out there that derive from Greek, Norse, or both mythologies that I just got kinda tired of it, I suppose.
Some lesser known mythologies would be awesome, or at least a greater variety of it.

---

Also, I see two more people are getting into Trails, eh?
Welp, hope you guys enjoy it more than I did!

Edited by DragonFlames

16 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

P.S. A little fun fact about Klonoa. Namco was afraid he was too cutesy for international audiences, but ultimately opted to not use this edgier design they had prepared for the West.:

klonoadesign.jpg?w=584

Klonoa's western beta design should have been made into a rival character, he probably would have worked.

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

I'm not sure if i would describe the right design as "edgier". He still looks pretty cutsey.

I mean, by the standards of the series it could be.