Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

Since it's Falcom's anniversary and all, i am gonna be positive for a change

NvbWcTE.png

This is probably my biggest collection of any developer. Ever since i got into Falcom 8 years ago with Ys Origin, i have been playing games and having fun most of the time. Even if i have been at odds with their modern Titles, i can't deny the amount of fun and joy i had in those last 8 years thanks to Falcom, including my dark illness days. Most of their games is some of the most fun i've ever had in my life, so here's to 8 more years!

Edited by Shrimperor

• Replies 179.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

8 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I concede that Nintendo's personal stinginess may influence stinginess in others, I can see that, but it doesn't have to be the case.

True enough. I suppose I may be overly cynical with Nintendo at times.

2 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

This is probably my biggest collection of any developer. Ever since i got into Falcom 8 years ago with Ys Origin, i have been playing games and having fun most of the time. Even if i have been at odds with their modern Titles, i can't deny the amount of fun and joy i had in those last 8 years thanks to Falcom, including my dark illness days. Most of their games is some of the most fun i've ever had in my life, so here's to 8 more years!

HeartwarmingShrimpy.

5 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

And that should be it from me for today.
Too much exposure to me causes stress in all the worst ways.

I can assure you you don't cause us any stress.

4 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Sooks, what's your secret. You got even Armagon interested.

The Kaiju.

But jokes aside, it's really that sale. Like, i knew it was on sale but i didn't think it'd be that low. I thought it'd be like $10 each.

But like i said, i hate buying games i don't intend to play right away. Most people just buy games and forget about them but not me, i'm built different.

Like realistically, i could play Banner Saga after i'm done with my Metroid binge (i only intend to play the 2D titles right now, Prime trilogy and Other M can wait), but i also want to have a PS4 next month and i really really really want to play 13 Sentinels.

4 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I'd rather get something you like than that.

Both CrossCode and CrossCode: A New Home are on sale, if you get them bundled (CrossCode Complete Edition), you get all that for the same price as the game's normal price.

Azure Striker Gunvolt games are also on sale for 80% off.

32 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I don't know, sales are always far rarer and far shorter in Nintendo's platform than, say, Steam. I don't know, could be just that the paperwork to get Nintendo to accept a sale on their platform is more of a bother, but there's certainly a trend there.

I don't think there's any paperwork involved considering how much shovelware ends up on the Switch.

Hell, there's even asset flips.

25 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Me using the speedbooster the way it's intended

That's very cool but idk if i have the skills to pull that off.

4 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Szoxyt8.png

Even my Top 10 list is half Falcom 😄

Haha, just wait until you see my top 10 in a few years. Half will be Xenoblade.

Then again, i don't actually have a top 10 yet

Screenshot_3867.png?width=784&height=432

Btw, is everything from Ys 8 to Three Houses ordered?

Just now, Armagon said:

Btw, is everything from Ys 8 to Three Houses ordered?

nah. It's Google auto ordering them.

From the 5 ''90/100'' games, Ys 8 and VC4 are my fav., definetly.

They are all very close to each other tho

6 minutes ago, Armagon said:

That's very cool but idk if i have the skills to pull that off.

Here... i disagree. I thought the exact same way you did at first. "there's no way i could ever do that, it's way to complex!" Those were my thoughts and after a few hours of practice, i got good at it. Anyone can do it, and i'm sure you can no problem.

Edit: i don't mean to try and push you into trying it, don't do it if you don't wanna. But i can say the ending result was worth it for me at least.

Edited by lightcosmo

4 minutes ago, Armagon said:

But jokes aside, it's really that sale. Like, i knew it was on sale but i didn't think it'd be that low. I thought it'd be like $10 each.

I mean, I got the whole series for like 15 bucks. It goes quite low very often.

But like i said, i hate buying games i don't intend to play right away. Most people just buy games and forget about them but not me, i'm built different.

Like realistically, i could play Banner Saga after i'm done with my Metroid binge (i only intend to play the 2D titles right now, Prime trilogy and Other M can wait), but i also want to have a PS4 next month and i really really really want to play 13 Sentinels.

Well, that's fair enough. Oh well. Thankfully, this game goes on sale often. I'll be sure to let you know if I ever catch wind of another sale!

2 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

nah. It's Google auto ordering them.

From the 5 ''90/100'' games, Ys 8 and VC4 are my fav., definetly.

They are all very close to each other tho

You know, I'm not quite sure what my top list would be like. I certainly couldn't order it or make it quite as tidy as yours. For me it'd just be a small pile of games from each genre that I just love more or less equally. Perhaps I could share it if anybody cares to know. After I have lunch.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

15 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

That's awesome, man.

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Positivity is underrated.

Facts.

That's why I've got to stop hanging around so much. I'm not positive enough.

11 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Szoxyt8.png

Even my Top 10 list is half Falcom 😄

So Ys VIII is your favorite in the series then?

Although I guess that could change after you play IX.

Also, very nice having Yoshi's Island be in your top games.

9 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

So Ys VIII is your favorite in the series then?

yup!

It did what many series fail to do when moving forward: A perfect mix of old and new.

When Ys moved on from Origin to Ys 7, it removed some stuff and added some new stuff, for better or worse, and Celceta was pretty weak. Many of us missed solo adventure, jumping, sprinting, etc.

Ys 8 brought them all back, and mixed them perfectly with the new system. The Dana sections are like a Ys Origin inside Ys 8, so to say. Add to that some of my fav. cast in gaming (Especially Dana! she's up there with Estelle for me), and a beautiful story, and you got the only game i ever considered giving a full 10/10 for without any faults....

And that's what i was gonna give it until the final boss and epilogue happened. It's the game's biggest, and my opinion, only weakness, hence 9/10.

This was my rating up until the final 2 hours

FU6BUjB.png

And here's my rating of all the games in the series

6FX7o8I.png

Edited by Shrimperor

I don’t know if I have a top ten favorite games. Well I suppose I physically do, but it would be hard to list out.

5 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Sooks, what's your secret. You got even Armagon interested.

What, you don’t save scum the dialogue trees?

5 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

My moustache isn't figurative either!

Is it also not figuratively twirling length?

18 minutes ago, Armagon said:

The Kaiju.

The kaiju shows up in all three games.

18 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Just don’t forget about Banner Saga when you’re done with all that. And hey if you want to increase your ps4 library, Banner Saga is also on ps4.[/s

32 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

70% of my freaking wishlist is on sale, including many games you guys recommend, but...

Ys 9

Shrimpy if I were you, I would get Ys 9 without a second thought.

Edited by Sooks

Oh yeah, I should mention that it took me two Metroid games for me to get to one that has banger music

21 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Edit: i don't mean to try and push you into trying it, don't do it if you don't wanna

Yeah, idk if I wanna do that for one extra energy tank.

18 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I'll be sure to let you know if I ever catch wind of another sale!

👍

9 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

And that's what i was gonna give it until the final boss and epilogue happened. It's the game's biggest, and my opinion, only weakness, hence 9/10.

So it was a big enough weakness that you didn't feel right in giving it a 10/10 then.

Like iirc, you said the final boss theme sucked but nothing about the final boss itself. Or the epilogue.

2 minutes ago, Sooks said:

What, you don’t save scum the dialogue trees?

Sooks using is Banner Saga skills in the real world.

So it was a big enough weakness that you didn't feel right in giving it a 10/10 then.

yup

Like iirc, you said the final boss theme sucked but nothing about the final boss itself

The final Boss is Ys 7 levels of Sponge. Most other bosses in Ys 8 are fine and can be done in 2 to 5 minutes. Max. 10.

Then there's the sponge of life that took me 30 freaking minutes.

Or the epilogue

Without any spoilers, i really dislike how a certain event was handled.

Edited by Shrimperor

5 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

The final Boss is Ys 7 levels of Sponge

Concern.png

4 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Monolith Soft takes priority over everything, as it should.

So true Twilit!

(Ok I think this joke is getting kinda stale).

IMG_20210625_001110.jpg

Bruhfish canon

6 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Concern.png

yeah...

Dw tho, it's really the only boss like that. I've been doing Boss rushes lately, solo even, and they are all done in a few minutes, just like i remember from the main game.

Edited by Shrimperor

4 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

've been doing Boss rushes lately, solo even, and they are all done in a few minutes, just like i remember from the main game.

Does the game really let you pick and choose your party like that from the get-go? Or is playing with fewer party members an unlockable feature?

Cause that's actually pretty neat if you want to do challenge runs and whatnot. Offering a lot of customization options is always nice.

47 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

Yawning is contagious, diseases are contagious, misery loves a company. Why can't life try to be fair for a change and let some positivity rub off from one forum goer to another?😁 -And I'm not talking that kind of positivity.😘

31 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I don’t know if I have a top ten favorite games.

Neither do I. I'm way too indecisive. The best I can define is "impactful games" in my life, which isn't the same.

25 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Without any spoilers, i really dislike how a certain event was handled.

Although I wouldn't go so far as to deduct a full point, I see where you're coming from. I'd personally make it a half-point deduction if I were to lower the grade over it. Although the game was already not going to be 10/10 due to dragging somewhat in duration for an Action RPG. Not sure what I'd trim out though.

Personally, while I know what you're criticizing, I might have been more put off by... MAJOR Ys VIII SPOILERS!

Spoiler

The implications that Ys-world lore was permanently and unmistakably narrowed (not that I've played any prior games). One goddess has been proven to be real, and she is the goddess who slumbers the world into existence, or did, until she woke up and then recreated her dream in an instant. Which is not exactly minor goddess stuff.

Not saying there isn't still flexibility left, but committing to something like this might've been bad for the long-term of Ys games and narrative/world-building.

And I'm not exactly sure what ending I would've given Dana other than the questionable "put her in charge of the thing she most hates". Her death would be sad atop her already sad story, resurrecting all her people... too happy? Living life in the modern era -would she want it when everything she loved is in the past? 

What would you go with?

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

50 minutes ago, twilitfalchion said:

I like it when you hang around, so it’s not an impact on the mood to me!

5 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Although the game was already not going to be 10/10 due to dragging somewhat in duration for an Action RPG.

Curious what you mean by this? You think ARPGs should be shorter in length?