• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

3 hours ago, DragonFlames said:

AMr43CA.jpg

These little buggers are so friggin' adorable! I want one as a pet.

They turned the guy from Star Trek into a cute mascot.

1 hour ago, Shrimperor said:

Although i can see why they are hesitant to remake 5. It almost killed the series...

What happened?

33 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Also, why the hell is there a volcano under the castle? Not complaining, I'm just wondering.

It's a portion of hell that came along with the castle when it was summoned.

That's my headcanon anyway.

7 minutes ago, Armagon said:

What happened?

It was a commercial and critical failure, and a really bad one at that. They had to revive the series with Ys 6 (and it was a success and started remaking older games after that)

Edited by Shrimperor

7 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

It was a commercial and critical failure, and a really bad one at that. They had to revive the series with Ys 6 (and it was a success and started remaking older games after that)

But what was so bad about Ys 5?

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

But what was so bad about Ys 5?

i never got into it (because i decided to wait for remake) so can't exactly answer except that the gameplay looks extra jank. It was the game between Bump and Napish engine Ys, and if you played Ys 6 you'd know how jank that one was. Ys 5 is even more jank

There are also reports about the setting and story, but i can't confirm those really except from what people say.

17 minutes ago, Armagon said:

It's a portion of hell that came along with the castle when it was summoned.

That's my headcanon anyway.

Well, I don't care how it came to be, I got the ability to flip the world there.

They wanted to make a cute little nod to Symphony of the Night and accidentally made a mechanic that's just plain better than its original equivalent.

I love this game.

That's enough for now. I'll leave it at the rematch with Redstream Sam. Hopefully this time, he'll finally stop being an edgelord and become besties with me.

14 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

tis a good one

Only "good"? I'm loving the shit out of it. Ecclesia was already my favorite platformer, and this is like, Ecclesia but ten times better.

14 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Only "good"?

i rated it an 8/10 iirc and was my goty during the year i played it well it didn't have many good games iirc

There were some really jank and annoying elements that annoyed me. Not to mention the cryptic stuff

Edited by Shrimperor

My review of the game, 30.9.2019

so finshed Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night

So, unlike many of it's players, i never played a Castlevania game before, however i have to say i really enjoyed my time with it. It's a solid 8/10. The gameplay is fun, and alot of the Bosses were pretty cool, and the Music, oh my, the Music, so good, so good.

What i didn't like however:

-Difficulty curve: Mainly, it was too easy, and you can't select higher difficulties unless you clear the game (which is a dumb choice tbh). However, despite it mostly being too easy, there are big difficulty spikes, especially towards the end. Instead of a steady difficulty curve, it just suddenly spikes towards the end

-Cryptic ways to move forward: This really annoyed me. Sometimes there are no hints on how to move forward and for the life of me i can't figure out how is anyone suppossed to come up with that while playing. One example: halfway through the game, you need a random drop from a random monster to move forward... How is anyone, especially those unlucky like me who didn't get the drop when i did the monster quest for the monster that dropped those, suppossed to find out about that? Castlevania fans say it's obvious to them, but for a newcomes like me it's ??? and made me run like a headless chicken for a while. There're multipe such things throught the game, especially in the later half

-Touching enemies without them attacking = damage. That needed sometime to get used to. Maybe it's a genre thing or something however.
Still, all in all i enjoyed it

Screenshot_4225.png

6 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

-Touching enemies without them attacking = damage. That needed sometime to get used to. Maybe it's a genre thing or something however.
Still, all in all i enjoyed it

Definitely a genre thing, as every 2D platformer of any kind really does that.

And speaking of Bloodstained review, i'll link to mine.

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

........I don't have much to say about this game lol. It's fun, i like it. 

how i feel about it, honestly xD

tis a fun game. One doesn't need more than that most of the time

Screenshot_4225.png

She's the fucking best and i only know her from your pictures xD

Edited by Shrimperor

Screenshot_4226.png

"Wannabe gangster" is an understatement, Majima. Haseo is probably one of the edgiest dudes I've seen in a long while.

@Saint Rubenio look, it's your favorite kind of character.

22 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

She's the fucking best and i only know her from your pictures xD

She kinda reminds me of Pit and it helps that both characters got buffed in the localization.

.....man. Now I wish Kid Icarus was featured in this game because Xiaomu and Pit would've gotten along perfectly.

Edit: as far as references and shit go, she definitely reminds me more of Neptune. But her personality is closer to Pit's. Just wanted to clarify.

Edited by Armagon

36 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

i rated it an 8/10 iirc and was my goty during the year i played it well it didn't have many good games iirc

There were some really jank and annoying elements that annoyed me. Not to mention the cryptic stuff

Yeah, well, you're wrong and I disagree.

34 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Difficulty curve: Mainly, it was too easy, and you can't select higher difficulties unless you clear the game

Meanwhile Rooben: How about I play it on the hardest difficulty and do all the bosses without taking damage in my first run?

Yeah, see, I expected this. It's why I went ahead and did the hardest difficulty at first. These games are generally not that hard on the easiest mode, and after more or less becoming an Ecclesia expert over the years, I knew normal would probably bore me to death. As much of a blow to my pride as it was, I took having to downgrade to hard as a good sign that the game wouldn't be quite so easy. And, well, it wasn't!

37 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Touching enemies without them attacking = damage. That needed sometime to get used to. Maybe it's a genre thing or something however.

Yes, very much. Usually, if you've a weapon of any sort, touching enemies is a no-no. If you don't, jumping on them is the way to go.

37 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Cryptic ways to move forward: This really annoyed me. Sometimes there are no hints on how to move forward and for the life of me i can't figure out how is anyone suppossed to come up with that while playing. One example: halfway through the game, you need a random drop from a random monster to move forward... How is anyone, especially those unlucky like me who didn't get the drop when i did the monster quest for the monster that dropped those, suppossed to find out about that? Castlevania fans say it's obvious to them, but for a newcomes like me it's ??? and made me run like a headless chicken for a while. There're multipe such things throught the game, especially in the later half

I disagree with this as well. For me, the only iffy part was the random shard drop to go underwater. Everything else was perfectly self-explanatory by just thinking a bit, exploring further or retreading your steps.

29 minutes ago, Armagon said:

And speaking of Bloodstained review, i'll link to mine.

Mostly agreed. Though I will say, even if they're not as good as others, most shards are plenty usable, which serves to improve replayability. That's always cool.

16 minutes ago, Armagon said:

@Saint Rubenio look, it's your favorite kind of character.

I hate him already.

4 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Though I will say, even if they're not as good as others, most shards are plenty usable, which serves to improve replayability. That's always cool.

Yeah but are you really gone use like, the one that throws bones, for example?

I hate him already.

Screenshot_4227.png

5 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I disagree with this as well. For me, the only iffy part was the random shard drop to go underwater. Everything else was perfectly self-explanatory by just thinking a bit, exploring further or retreading your steps.

you aren't in late game yet

6 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Meanwhile Rooben: How about I play it on the hardest difficulty and do all the bosses without taking damage in my first run?

Yeah, see, I expected this. It's why I went ahead and did the hardest difficulty at first. These games are generally not that hard on the easiest mode, and after more or less becoming an Ecclesia expert over the years, I knew normal would probably bore me to death. As much of a blow to my pride as it was, I took having to downgrade to hard as a good sign that the game wouldn't be quite so easy. And, well, it wasn't

here's the thing: i didn't know about file name = difficulty thing. Should've made difficulty menu available from the start

Well I don't have time to finish Ch.8 right now since I gotta get ready to leave for work.

2 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

you aren't in late game yet

Pretty sure he's in the late game already.

Then again, he beat Doppelganger before beating Alfred so he's going a non-linear route.

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

They wanted to make a cute little nod to Symphony of the Night and accidentally made a mechanic that's just plain better than its original equivalent.

I never thought of it that way, although Invert is better than the Inverted Castle. Turns out castles aren't made to be navigated with any ease whatsoever when they're upside down, and they suffer from a severe lack of music variety, it's all Finale Toccata for most of it. 

Although, the Floating Catacombs were a cool twist, that was a positive.

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Only "good"? I'm loving the shit out of it. Ecclesia was already my favorite platformer, and this is like, Ecclesia but ten times better.

Odd, I found someone say that Ecclesia was better, said person loathed the addition of unnecessary grind. They found the bosses some of the toughest, but too much cannot be reacted to in reasonable time. Castle was great to explore, but the tone dissonance from the Kickstarter aspects were bad, and the music was totally forgettable- nobody who played an instrument for the game put any passion into it, all the music is muted and devoid of soul.

Personally, I might be inclined to agree on the music part, I can't remember almost any of it, the throne room area theme being one of the few I do. And in that track I can hear how the other person would think the OST is muffled. 

On the game as whole, maybe it's having played all 7 prior Igavanias that is to blame, but although I enjoyed Bloodstained, it wasn't supremely the best.

Also, did you discover the secret room in the vertical hallway before the throne room? I suggest that you do.

25 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Mostly agreed. Though I will say, even if they're not as good as others, most shards are plenty usable, which serves to improve replayability. That's always cool.

I used the bouncing water spheres from the starting octopi enemies for most of the game, it was MP-damage efficient compared to a lot of other stuff I thought.

I still prefer Ecclesia on the MP & attacks front.

59 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Screenshot_4225.png

If Xeno Warriors happens, I want her and Reiji to find a way in. Limited roster slots be darned! 😁

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

19 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Yeah but are you really gone use like, the one that throws bones, for example?

Are you kidding me? That was my go-to weapon in the earlygame! Obtained super early from a really common enemy, has great damage for that point of the game and range at a time when your only other option is the extremely weak gun and the water blast that cannot be aimed. Bad example, Armagon. A better one would be something like, one of those passive shards that just slightly increases your defense. Who the hell needs that?

17 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

here's the thing: i didn't know about file name = difficulty thing. Should've made difficulty menu available from the start

That much is true. They definitely should've done that to begin with.

11 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Pretty sure he's in the late game already.

Then again, he beat Doppelganger before beating Alfred so he's going a non-linear route.

No, actually. Miriam 2 was the next boss I fought after Alfred.

That being said, I did get all the way to Gebel without even hopping on the train, and I'm fairly certain I've skipped something again, because I really doubt the intended approach to get to the Oriental Lab is to scarf down 12 sponge cakes in order to tank the damage from the spikes. So yeah, I've been deviating from the usual route a bit.

Just now, Interdimensional Observer said:

I never thought of it that way

Well, I don't know for sure, I'm just imagining that's probably it, given the amount of references in the game. Of course, Bloodstained's invert mechanic goes way beyond being mere pandering. It's fuckin' wonderful.

Just now, Interdimensional Observer said:

although Invert is better than the Inverted Castle. Turns out castles aren't made to be navigated with any ease whatsoever when they're upside down, and they suffer from a severe lack of music variety, it's all Finale Toccata for most of it. 

Although, the Floating Catacombs were a cool twist, that was a positive.

Well, to be fair, I've not played Symphony, so it's not like I can criticize it, myself. Though the idea of half the game just being... the same game but upside down sounds kinda eehhh to me.

Well, to be fair, I've not played Symphony, so it's not like I can criticize it, myself. Though the idea of half the game just being... the same game but upside down sounds kinda eehhh to me.

Physically, it might be half, but in terms of how long you actually spend in it, it's a fair deal less than that.

Basically, all the plot except the final battle happens in the normal castle, it's here where you're restrained in where you can go and have to slowly expand your arsenal and find the way to avoid the Bad Ending.

Once you get to the Inverted Castle, it's can be summarized as "Find all five of Dracula's relics to open the passage to the true final fight". You're free to roam the castle and find the relics as you wish, in addition to finding some endgame equipment and (mostly easy) optional bosses throughout it. 

10 hours ago, Armagon said:

What happened, if you don't mind telling?

10 hours ago, Sooks said:

What happened?

6 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Uh oh... Well, hope you tell us more about that when you come back 

I accepted food without knowing it was rotten and got my army intoxicated. Then I sent my army to battle and received several losses. Then Gunnulf fell off a cliff.

6 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Why does nobody ever tell him he looks like a frog? He has the best response to that!

I was just trying to be nice.

Also, good morning to everyone.

4 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

Ys Origin (canon: 3rd route) -700years-> Ys 1/2 -> Ys 4 (canon: Celceta) -> Ys 3 (canon: Felghana) -> Ys 5 (no canon game yet) -> Ys 8 -> Ys 6 -> Ys 7 -> Ys 9

Oh boy! So I'm essentially going back to the past by playing Ys 8 after watching Ys 6! Gotcha! xD

Seriously, though, thanks for telling me this! ^^
It's interesting stuff!

4 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

Although i can see why they are hesitant to remake 5. It almost killed the series...

No wonder they chucked the sword from it into the depths of the ocean. xD

3 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

Literally the cutest response to that. XD

Hehe, thanks! ^^

3 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

these cuties are secret super bosses in some Ys games xD

I watched the Origins one, actually! I think it's this exact video, too!
They're still adorable. xD

3 hours ago, Armagon said:

They turned the guy from Star Trek into a cute mascot.

Hence why I named it "Jean-Luc". XD
Sadly, you can't actually name it that. But it is called that in my head from now on!

2 hours ago, Shrimperor said:

j811jvw89y871.jpg

C4L5YpT.jpg
Her more bold fans right now.

But, er, what in the heck is the context for that? xD