• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

5 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Well, there isn't a whole lot to joke about with Kimahri. Of the FFX cast, he is readily the most filler, and the Ronso are just kinda there. The Guado have Seymour, the Al-Bhed defy Yevon, and the Ronso have no greater significance.

Well, they serve a role in showing Seymour's evil evilness.

I don't think I can dispute that Kimahri is the playable character that does the least stuff, but I like him. The single-mindedness in protecting Yuna, which then is explained by him being an outcast in Ronso society (so he doesn't have anything but protecting Yuna), which is then resolved by Kimahri proving his strength by defeating Biran and Yenke 1v2, which is then ruined by Seymour's magdeburgisation of the Ronso. It's a tragic personal story that also serves to build up the villain.

And before that, I love how he deemed Tidus's constant blabbering unworthy of any response to the point where Tidus thought he was mute. I like Tidus as a character, but part of the reason I like him is that he starts the story as a self-centred, intrusive prick and Kimahri's reactions are quite appropriate. :lol:

9 hours ago, Shrimpolaris said:

If Rean was up for an Orgy the harem would jump at the opportunity and you know it 😛

At least Fie can admit it, gotta have some respect there! XD

8 hours ago, Sooks said:

Difficulty if you ignore the super broken options.

wh-wh-wh-whaaaaaaaaaa?

I had no troubles and didn't use any broken options. 

4 minutes ago, Shrimpolaris said:

More like there isn't anything that isn't super broken.

Everything is

I and II honestly have nothing on III and IV in terms of broken shit, though.

ALTHOUGH, tbf, III would be sorta difficult... had BO's not existed at all.

Apparently Lego Star Wars footage was leaked. Star Wars fans are crying. I mean, what else is new, right.

10 hours ago, Shrimpolaris said:

FI3jQON.png

Those designs are 10/10

(And a staff Lord that's actually useful? Take that, Athol)

Oh hey, a new game in SRPG Studio that I can't play because moon runes. Can't say those designs are too much to my liking, they're pretty... meh to me. But well, we all know how much I disagree with the rest of you on the matter of character designs.

Do let us know how it turns out. And hey, shout me out if you see someone I'd like.

8 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Chapter 4's sub-missions done. Yet again, they were really easy, opportunities to train the X-Mission quartet. I managed to capture the boss of Thaddy's chapter thanks to good luck, so that's a +10 Hit -10 Avoid accessory for me, if only an archer could use it.

Ohh, you got that thing! That thing is the thunder mage's best friend. Do remember to give it to him when you get him.

...Ahh, sorry! There I go, doing the very thing you told me not to do. Sorry, sorry.

I skipped on the imperials in said battle, I thought maybe I could handle them, perhaps this would be Derrick's one chance to shine. I could gather everyone except Larentia in the southwest corner, rig a Larentia Adept proc ORKO on the Raze priest, chokepoint at the bridge, and slowly whittle away at the imps. -But I didn't bring the kind of team I would need to do that.

Handling the Imperials is possible, but it's not something you want to do without the proper set up or the inexperience of a first run. Skipping them is just fine. Really, the only one you want to kill is the priest, for his droppable Erzheimer item.

Of course, Chapter 5 looks to be another intimidating at first challenge, killing the boss ain't happening, that's for sure. Highly accurate and deadly ballistae that cover the natural chokepoints. Thankfully, 15 turns isn't too long. Though the enemies be plentiful, Vanmillion seems invincible, and the fortress is easily choked it appears, so my focus will have to be on protecting the civilians.

Chapter 5 can be troublesome. Not because of Vanmilion, Vanmilion is the least of your concerns.

I felt a little sad for Ward after the wild horse battle, since I didn't take the one horse I absolutely should've, letting all of them end up in the enemy's possession, therefore Ward wound up at the tavern after the fight wanting a drink to wash away the abject failure.

I've never seen that. Sounds like a neat bit of character development... if not the most pleasant.

I don't see why it would be impossible. Maybe not as the main course, but as an optional battle? Maybe. I'm reminded we had 14x in Thracia, a chapter nobody really likes, the one in the dark with the civilians and enemy peg kidnappers and Stamina Drinks if you don't remember. It's not exactly the same, since that's a different IRL-derived scenario, but a train of civilians and a train of crippled soldiers can be alike in gameplay. -Thracia ofc is the most down-to-earth of FEs.

Oh, I'm not saying it's impossible, but it's not something you see so often.

I mean Dynasty and Samurai Warriors have covered various a few retreats before. Since being history, albeit with a good dose of artistic license, they have to include several instances of military withdrawal. But Musou being Musou, specialness endures as you rack up hundreds of KOs against pathetic peons with the sounds of electric guitar in the background.

Oof. Yeah, that sounds like quite the dissonance.

And I can say I don't mind it. So far it's all reactive against the Empire, but that's okay. I don't care if I don't get to kill the god-emperor, not every war ended that way IRL. I'll be alright with this being but Inconclusive Struggle no. 86 in a series of clashes that continues for centuries after the game is over. We don't exactly get many tales in video games with a more limited scope.

I do believe the game has the perfect conclusion for its scope. Hopefully you'll share my opinion.

I suppose I'll have to purchase it at some point then. I held off for reasons of gameplay and plot alike, mostly fearing a slavish imitation of FFT,  but I can see myself getting it now.

Well, I've not played FFT, but having played its brother Tactics Ogre, I can say it's that but just, way better in terms of gameplay. Storywise... Ehhh I dunno. Tactics Ogre was more ballsy.

6 minutes ago, Shrimpolaris said:

More like there isn't anything that isn't super broken.

Everything is

The saying goes, if everyone is broken, no one is. Therefore Rean Saga accomplished perfect balance. Truly impressive!

Please don't kill me

4 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

I and II honestly have nothing on III and IV in terms of broken shit, though.

ALTHOUGH, tbf, III would be sorta difficult... had BO's not existed at all.

BO's are the worst mechanic ever introduced to Trails.

Also break gauge were also shit. Every other game in existence does it better.

3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Do let us know how it turns out

It focuses more on smaller engagement rather than FE's big-ish maps, and removes RNG completely outside hit rates.

Both lords (Sword and Staff) can give massive buffs.

5 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

The saying goes, if everyone is broken, no one is. Therefore Rean Saga accomplished perfect balance. Truly impressive!

Everything in player hands is broken. It makes Awakening look balanced

3 minutes ago, Shrimpolaris said:

BO's are the worst mechanic ever introduced to Trails.

Also break gauge were also shit. Every other game in existence does it better.

Yeah, BO idea was shit, no arguments there. IV increased the cost since III had them literally gamebreaking and they are STILL broken! If at first you don't succeed... you make the same mistake again, clearly!

Well... it's not too bad in III... breaking some enemies can be difficult, but in IV it's a joke.

11 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

The saying goes, if everyone is broken, no one is.

If only they operated under this mentality in the first place. XD

Altina reflect Ü

6 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

they are STILL broken!

There's a CS3 balance mod that makes the game much much more fun

But BO's were still overcenterlizing, even after a massive nerf + cost increase. I just ended up hating the mechanic and the gameplay loop itself more than anything. Especially with Bosses going "REEEE + Heals + Ratio" at 50% the gameplay annoyed me lol. CS3/4 gameplay can't be fixed

Especially since Ao master Arts were a much better implementation of "Firld wide buffs" mechanic

6 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

breaking some enemies can be difficult

Retcon's order makes breaking anyone a joke

Edited by Shrimpolaris

Just now, Shrimpolaris said:

Altina reflect Ü

There's a CS3 balance mod that makes the game much much more fun

But BO's were still overcenterlizing, even after a massive nerf + cost increase. I just ended up hating the mechanic itself more than anything

Especially since Ao master Arts were a much better implementation of "Firld wide buffs" mechanic

Retcon's order makes breaking anyone a joke

Ebon Crest? yeah it's busted.

Well, i was curious if it was possible to make them 1 use per battle (like Valimar) to stop them from doing just that. Then you would need to be more careful with choices.

R.I.P CS

You mean Alisa? It's... okay, i guess. you hardly get to use her in III, though. Juna's break formation isn't great either imo. It's... 4 turns in III?

I know it's easily possible to just outright disable them at least. So if you wanted "extra boss" style fights, you could disable them so you don't need to balance the fight around them being stupid broken.

Just now, lightcosmo said:

I know it's easily possible to just outright disable them at least. So if you wanted "extra boss" style fights, you could disable them so you don't need to balance the fight around them being stupid broken.

Honestly, ana balance mod should just disable em outright, or make em once per battle like your idea.

Just nerfing them or massively increasing the cost doesn't make it much less centralizing

Just now, Shrimpolaris said:

Juna is the retcon

300% break in 3. Was nerfed in 4 tho iirc

Right it's 300% and not 150... But like, why bother when arts celebration + CB is free wins?

1 minute ago, lightcosmo said:

Right it's 300% and not 150... But like, why bother when arts celebration + CB is free wins?

Mixing up "Free wins" methods xD

Everything is Free wins xD

40 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Ohh, you got that thing! That thing is the thunder mage's best friend. Do remember to give it to him when you get him.

...Ahh, sorry! There I go, doing the very thing you told me not to do. Sorry, sorry.

No big deal in this case. Not letting the archers use accessories for no reason demolishes the competition for the Tiger Brace, even Sylvis and Christine would've liked it despite having Aim. The melee units don't want it, because this game relies too much on dodgetanking (Axel might find it useful to increase the chances of a Pulverize OHKO, but that sounds situational). And thus, the only would good users would be the mages, a small pool of units to choose from.

40 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Chapter 5 can be troublesome. Not because of Vanmilion, Vanmilion is the least of your concerns.

Considering the game takes away Sylvis for this fight, do I have to keep her alive here for her to stay alive afterwards? Please don't let her AI be the suicidal kind.

11 hours ago, Shrimpolaris said:

FI3jQON.png

Those designs are 10/10

It's only dawned on me now, but I dunno, it looks to me like the guy would be better off if he ditched the two crossed belts or whatever is around his waist, and opted for a midriff instead. The black shirt says "crop top" to me.

4 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

No big deal in this case. Not letting the archers use accessories for no reason demolishes the competition for the Tiger Brace, even Sylvis and Christine would've liked it despite having Aim. The melee units don't want it, because this game relies too much on dodgetanking (Axel might find it useful to increase the chances of a Pulverize OHKO, but that sounds situational). And thus, the only would good users would be the mages, a small pool of units to choose from.

Of the mages, the fire mage has no accuracy problems and Aegina really, really wants an accessory that increases her magic instead. Thunder mage is the only one who really needs the extra hit, and lower avoid does not matter on mages. Since you mentioned him, Axel likes the accuracy too, but he has plenty of things he can do that don't even involve combat, while the thunder mage really wants to be more precise to get stuff done.

4 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Considering the game takes away Sylvis for this fight, do I have to keep her alive here for her to stay alive afterwards? Please don't let her AI be the suicidal kind.

I mean, I would imagine if she dies, she dies. But I've played this game six times now, and not once has she come into danger of dying. In fact, I've rarely even seen her attacked in this map. There are too many generic allies around her, too few enemies attacking the fort from below, and the map ends before she could be in any real danger.

20 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I mean, I would imagine if she dies, she dies. But I've played this game six times now, and not once has she come into danger of dying. In fact, I've rarely even seen her attacked in this map. There are too many generic allies around her, too few enemies attacking the fort from below, and the map ends before she could be in any real danger.

Just wanted to get this out of the way before I begin the fight. Feel free to reallllllly concentrate on the center and north, got it.😀

20 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Of the mages, the fire mage has no accuracy problems and Aegina really, really wants an accessory that increases her magic instead. Thunder mage is the only one who really needs the extra hit, and lower avoid does not matter on mages. Since you mentioned him, Axel likes the accuracy too, but he has plenty of things he can do that don't even involve combat, while the thunder mage really wants to be more precise to get stuff done.

I do like it that they tried to differentiate the magic types a little more than the FE norm. FE doesn't need more weapon types, it needs the existing weapon types it has to be less samey. 

Though, I admittedly haven't made any real use of Aegina yet, and hesitate to. When I purchased a Soothe orb a few chapters back, the shop temporarily ran out of them. I checked SF and noticed none of the magics are infinitely stocked on the shelves, which has kicked in my item hoarder side. Kinda irrational to do so when one-mage per map might be sufficient enough, they can't enemy phase -limiting durability consumption-, and each has an effective monopoly over a single magic type.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

15 hours ago, Sooks said:

Yeah, right at the end of the game there’s a side quest where you spend the entire thing chasing a “traveling preist” (who is strongly implied to be a member of the Gralsritter) around  Erebonia only to never actually meet him and he just gets name dropped at the end, with your party going “ah, yes, that dude. He’s really OP. Well, anyway—“

Trails players when they hear about a traveling priest

And then they reach the end and think "Wait, who's this guy?"

Anyway, Star Doors 10 and 11 focused on fleshing out Pater-Mater and Bleublanc. Which makes sense, since every Enforcer other than Bleublanc got their backstory explored in the previous game (sans Campanella but he's supposed to be an enigma).

Spoiler

Besides learning Pater-Mater's technical specifications, we also learn that all of its potential pilots ended up comatose, insane, or dead. "Let this little girl have a try with the giant robot, it's not like she has anything to lose." It's just like Evangelion. Professor Novartis gets mentioned again here, but it doesn't mention that he's an Anguis.

It's interesting how the information on Bleublanc is framed from an in-universe perspective, so we don't have an all-knowing view of the truth (I think most of the exposition doors are like that). Despite this, Bleublanc was nice enough to give us a clue to imply that Amorous Con Artist X is the correct theory. I hope he doesn't like Kloe that way. C'mon Bleublanc, she's sixteen! Now I'm wondering if Tragic Artist Y and Martial Artist Z will be referenced again at some point...

Edited by Lightchao42

The divertissement is hype. Getting to hop over to the setting and cast of a previous game like that is really cool.

Spoiler

Plus, one of those characters is Rixia!

11 minutes ago, Shrimpolaris said:

Plus it's boss allowed me take out all my pent up frustrations Ü

Wait, you couldn’t mean… the boss isn’t… is he? You did mention getting to beat him up at the end of CS2…