Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

TIYT2Gp6_o.png

What a game. I was expecting it to just end on the final boss, like Rogue Legacy 1. But Rogue Legacy 2 has once again proven that it is just plain better than its predecessor.

This is what sequels should be like. A plain improvement in literally every single aspect. There isn't even one part of this game that is inferior to the first game. Controls, classes, areas, challenge, soundtrack, story, visuals... Everything is better. Everything. And I'm saying this as someone who considers Rogue Legacy 1 to be one of his favorite platformers ever.

This one? May just be the one. There's so much to this game, all of it so good. And it's not even over right now. There's NG+, and a great NG+ at that. I don't know how far I'll take it, but I'm definitely not stopping now.

Wow. This game is awesome.

17 minutes ago, Shrimpolaris said:

Grats!

Thanks! It was... way too difficult. Final boss was the second toughest boss to no-hit.

• Replies 176.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

57 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

It would be nearly impossible for Ys IX with its backdrop to replicate the community feels of VIII

Yup, and that's why imo what worked well in Ys 8 doesn't work at all or works bad in Ys 9.

Doing quests for close people feels so much more rewarding that doing it for random NPCs, for example. The nox defense are unneeded bloat compared to Ys 8 defense battles, etc.

Speaking of community feels, Armagon totally needs to play VIII given his love of Xenoblade NPC communities.

I hope he tries it one day. Maybe it will turn him around on Ys 

The choice of setting- a prison city, might be to blame.

That's why while i am worried, i am not -too- worried

But then i remember how every Falcom IP has been getting Trailsfied and i start to worry again xD

But aslong as next game gives me more freedom and less trailsfication, my worried would be gone.

rewrite

interesting rewrite, however...

This rewrite would undermine, nay annihilate, the prison and prisoner and mysterious heroic outlaws aspect of Monstrum Nox. A certain somebody I don't yet understand couldn't really exist in this scenario. These themes are rather important, but I don't think my hypothetical alternative undermines everything Ys IX focuses on. If anything, it's strengthen the whole "curse of the night" aspect. Though the rewrite might be too similar to Lacrimosa of Dana's setup when I think about it

exactly my thoughts^^

Also some other stuff going that are revealed later in the game won't exactly work.

Imo, the one thing that would've made the game more free is if the Nox requirements and random magic walls were removed, and instead let us access new areas with abilities we unlock/Monstrums who join us...

Like in every Ys game before it, or Metroidvanias.

That change alone will remove quite alot of shackles.

Ultimately, Ys 9, more than anything, is a game about Adol himeslf (he carries the game really hard imo), and it does well in that regard (especially if you played former games), but could've done without the shackles.

Personally, the quests aren't too tedious.

Maybe they burned me more due to my fallout with Trails? They are just copied from Trails and when i saw them i was like "no pleaseeeeeee"

. It's the Grimwald Nox/Eos battles that annoy me much more, I didn't love them in VIII, and IX hasn't changed that. If anything, them starting sooner in the story and being more important upfront has increasingly soured me on them. 

Yup it's a common complaint as well.

Atleast in Ys 8 it fit much more with the situation, in Ys 9 the plot wouldn't need to change much without them

I was thinking a hypothetical fix to that would've been to delete Raging Bull

no need to delete honestly. Nothing wrong with having an additional character. Iirc Ys 7, the first party Ys game, had 7 playable characters. 6 + Adol.

When it comes to Aprilis, what dissapoints me the most is i know her more from her IRL equivalent than the game. I am sure you are slowly starting to realize who she represents.

If not, will soon become very apparent.

"Might"? How could I not when it could literally smack me in the face?😝

Yup 😄

I went O:

Especially with how Ys 8 finished, that one shouldn't be here, but, well, you'll see.

He isn't the only returning boss from other Ys games btw, the game is filled with them. Chapter 6 boss (the one you should've just defeated, if not don't click on the video xD) for example gave me PTSD as it was a boss in Ys Origin i struggled alot with when i first started Ys in 2013/14, even if i now eat it for breakfast in all 3 games he appears in.

NGL i think he was harder here than Ys Origin, even if flash makes it much more doable.

Although there's something else from Ys 8 i was talking about rather than the one that smacked you in the face xD

Adol will always have that the ring I got from having Lacrimosa save data equipped. Dana shall never be forgotten

DodG7w_UYAA8zL-?format=jpg&name=large

Will always be one of my all time favs, and so far the only 10/10 candidate game i ever had! Dana also being like Falcom's best written character was 👌

still salty about the ending

I also had the Celceta carryover item 😄

Man, this Ys talk brings a smile to my face considering how much i love the Series.

It's the only series where i basically own all the games, after all 😄

let's ignore the non-canon ones xD

Edited by Shrimpolaris

Ah, nothing like talking about high school girls getting caught extorting money from their fellow classmates to help pay for their friend's abortion in pretty much 20 lines in to set up the mood.

There are ideas only appear in the minds of the Japanese.

40 minutes ago, Shrimpolaris said:

4CRnXcQ.jpg

Hey look, it's edelgard

5 minutes ago, Newtype06 said:

Ah, nothing like talking about high school girls getting caught extorting money from their fellow classmates to help pay for their friend's abortion in pretty much 20 lines in to set up the mood.

There are ideas only appear in the minds of the Japanese

Japan be keeping up with Murican politics lately

FShDqF6VsAARdfb?format=jpg&name=large

Are you actually serious right now lmao

8 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

I like their icons for the classifications!

Yeah it's neat that they've created two new tiers of enemies. After years of just "Normals" and "Uniques", it's nice to have middle grounds.

And it's also because of this that i really don't think the level penalties will be in the game.

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Speaking of community feels, Armagon totally needs to play VIII given his love of Xenoblade NPC communities.

I take it Ys has more along the lines of Xenoblade X and Torna NPC communities?

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

It's too urban for a good adventure,

Ok so i haven't actually played Ys 9 but you can definitely set the main setting in a city and have it still be adventerous. Case in point: Gravity Rush 2. It's definitely one of my favorite locales and most of the game takes place in each of the two cities.

Tho i suppose it also helps that Kat bends gravity to her will so traversing it is very fun.

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

TIYT2Gp6_o.png

No?

1 hour ago, Shrimpolaris said:

I hope he tries it one day. Maybe it will turn him around on Ys

I really should've just started with 8.

One of these days. 

4 minutes ago, Newtype06 said:

There are ideas only appear in the minds of the Japanese.

why.png

Just now, Shrimpolaris said:

pffffffffffft

TFW making a manga out of Gay Space communism xD

I'm just curious how that even happened. What, were those meteorites filled with pink Kryptonite?

1 minute ago, twilitfalchion said:

👀

Oshi No Ko

The story begins with a beautiful girl, her perfectly fake smile, and the people who love her selfishly for it.

What transpires behind the scenes of the glittering showbiz industry? How far would you go for the sake of your beloved idol? What would you do if you found out reincarnation was real? The star of the show is Aquamarine Hoshino and the stage is but a mere facade. Will he manage to reach the climax before the world of glamour swallows him whole?

Written by Kaguya's Author btw.

And if you ask me, better than Kaguya

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Someone in the Discord posted an actual panel from that gay space manga

ZgUKesJ.png

This feels like a meme template. 

pfft-water.gif

Post the name of the manga m8

Edited by Shrimpolaris

30 minutes ago, Shrimpolaris said:

pfft-water.gif

Post the name of the manga m8

I actually don't know what it is, nobody's actually said the name of it.

But a google search of "shoujo manga where meteorites turn people gay" revealed it's called My Secret Affection....and the funny panel is literally how it opens up apparently. 

2 hours ago, Shrimpolaris said:

Maybe they burned me more due to my fallout with Trails? They are just copied from Trails and when i saw them i was like "no pleaseeeeeee"

Blessed be the Trails ignorant, for they shall inherit the Interwebs after the Zemurian Elitists and Filthy Casuals kill each other.

Sometimes I tolerate lots of mindless questing too. I did clear out every single one in Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition.😆

When it comes to Aprilis, what dissapoints me the most is i know her more from her IRL equivalent than the game. I am sure you are slowly starting to realize who she represents.

I think I started realizing it yesterday when her accessory broke and Tito had to repair it.

Spoiler

Saint Rosvita, aka Not-Jeanne d'Arc. Could they have at least changed the dang war's name to the Ninety-Nine Year Struggle, or the 365.25*20*5 Days Conflict?

Április is very lacking compared to postergirl Dana. Her repeated lines before and after every Nox battle lost their cool badass luster a while ago.

Imo, the one thing that would've made the game more free is if the Nox requirements and random magic walls were removed, and instead let us access new areas with abilities we unlock/Monstrums who join us...

Like in every Ys game before it, or Metroidvanias.

That change alone will remove quite alot of shackles.

True. The Gifts we have ingame are fun, they should've been better utilized. I'm a little surprised they didn't go full Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask Lens of Truth and make Third Eye dispel illusory walls and reveal invisible platforms and enemies.

Yup 😄

I went O:

Same!😆

Especially with how Ys 8 finished, that one shouldn't be here, but, well, you'll see.

I have a hypothesis...

Spoiler

Take prisoner, add magic and or laboratory chemicals, get artificially created living fossil. Not exactly Jurassic Prison, but close enough.

I'll find out probably before this week is over.

He isn't the only returning boss from other Ys games btw, the game is filled with them. Chapter 6 boss (the one you should've just defeated, if not don't click on the video xD) for example gave me PTSD as it was a boss in Ys Origin i struggled alot with when i first started Ys in 2013/14, even if i now eat it for breakfast in all 3 games he appears in.

NGL i think he was harder here than Ys Origin, even if flash makes it much more doable.

Game be looking better on PC than an undocked Switch, no surprise.

Excellent victory BTW!😉

I see we had the same skill-spamming strategy with Adol.😄 Since I didn't know what the boss was going to be and I didn't feel like reseting or losing on purpose to change my team, I brought Hawk and White Cat with me. Now, I don't think most bosses in Ys VIII & IX care who you bring, but this one? Oh, I made a mistake. You realllllly want reach for this fight, Rapier Boy was okay if not ideal, but Pugilist Pussycat was litterbox-tier.

Will always be one of my all time favs, and so far the only 10/10 candidate game i ever had! Dana also being like Falcom's best written character was 👌

still salty about the ending

I also had the Celceta carryover item 😄

Dana is supreme I shall agree. Your lingering indignation about the ending is factually correct.

Since the Switch doesn't have Memories of Celceta, they give you the flowers simply for having Ys VIII data.

Man, this Ys talk brings a smile to my face considering how much i love the Series.

It's the only series where i basically own all the games, after all 😄

let's ignore the non-canon ones xD

Glad to you a drugs-free dose of feel-good oxytocin! We could all use some of those.

51 minutes ago, Armagon said:

why.png

How about having Japan give me more well-written gays in my mainstream anime games instead of creating an unrealistic fictional world where we are the oppressors?🤨

I am possibly thirsty and stuck in an emotional carmageddon-worthy existential traffic jam. Do not piss me off Nippon.😠

53 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I take it Ys has more along the lines of Xenoblade X and Torna NPC communities?

Sorta. Ys VIII specifically starts with a shipwreck and the survivors wash up on a completely uninhabited island. There aren't that many survivors, so you get to bond with all of them to some degree. I thought it rather charming.

Ys IX kinda tries replicating this to an extent, but it simply doesn't work so well with its location. And maybe Nihon Falcom simply didn't put as much effort into it this time.