• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

Just now, Saint Rubenio said:

Ah, that makes more sense lol. I was flipping out for a sec.

Yeah i can imagine xD

Especially since i did write many times before that i like Leif, both gameplay and story wise xD

10 minutes ago, Shrimpolaris said:

Yeah i can imagine xD

Especially since i did write many times before that i like Leif, both gameplay and story wise xD

Leif strikes a nice middle ground where he's not an invincible powerhouse like RD!Ike, Ephraim, most Corncobs, Dimitri, etc. nor is he as underwhelmingly mundane as the likes of SD!Marth, Eirika, Micaiah, Our Boi and his dad, etc.

He has his moments to shine in combat, like Manster, and otherwise he's a wonderful support unit (literally, with the amount of supports he gives out) that is always nice to have. Overall, he captures the feeling of "commander that isn't as gifted at combat" far better than Roy and his massive suckage ever do.

Story-wise, well... I often describe him as the only FE lord that gets development. It's not quite true, but he's certainly one of like, three, and I would argue the best of 'em at that. Helps that the guy actually screws up horribly a couple of times and gets punished for it. No other lord can really claim that. And of course, he's backed by August and Dorius, by far the best advisors in FE.

So yeah, in a nutshell: Leif good.

It's can't be understated that before Roy, the only Lord with an anti-cavalry/armor pref weapon was Marth. And you know what Marth's games did not have? The weapon triangle.

As much as they wanted the game to revolve around the weapon triangle, they saw no problem with Roy's pref only being effective against opponents he is at a disadvantage against.

34 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

he captures the feeling of "commander that isn't as gifted at combat"

Considering his blood, it seems implied he has talent for swordfighting at the least.

11 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Considering his blood, it seems implied he has talent for swordfighting at the least.

I wouldn't say so. Both of his games emphasize that he missed out on the whole holy blood gravy train, as Altena was favored by the sacred genetics. It's something he even confesses to Ced in Thracia, if I recall correctly; he feels inferior because of his lack of superpowered blood.

He does have some talent at fighting, but more thanks to Eyvel's training and his own determination, and it's initially limited by his age and his inexperience. The blood isn't much of a factor for Leif, other than his heritage being a convenient excuse for people to make him into the hero they want - another point that is covered in Thracia, this time by August.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

I will copy one of my comments from somewhere else when it comes to Lords' gameplay

Interesting/gimmicky Lord > Strong/OP Lord >>>>>>>>> Weak lords

Lords, as the main characters, need to have something to them. Especially in Iron mans, where they are a game over condition.

My fav. Lords (gameplay wise) are these:

• Leif: Might not be super strong, but him supporting like more than half the army is really really really good. Light blade ain’t bad, either
  • Micaiah: Mage lord, sacrifice ultility and later on staff ultility. Also Thani is really good. Might be frail, but has her uniqueness in being a Mage lord and the possibility to fix her up using Bexp
  • Corrin: Customizability + really strong makes for a hella fun lord to use. Especially when you factor in fates’ really solid gameplay system.
  • Claude: Bow Flier. Bow lords are rare (only TRS and Vestaria iirc), an Elincia is like the only flier lord iirc (if you count her). Having a Bow Flier as a lord with a unique class & combat art? Sign me up!!!

Strong op lords als Ike & Sigurd aren’t that bad, either, even if they can trivialize alot, however you also run the risk with a game over with them if you ain’t careful. Especially Ike is very weak against Mages.

Weak lords, especially in games filled with lord only seize maps are just a pain to use and greatly reduce fun factor in their games. They should be the last ones needing babysitting imo. There are much more interesting ways of creating a challenge than making the Lord a Roy.

46 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

"commander that isn't as gifted at combat"

He honestly isn't bad at all at combat. Especially with Thracia having scrolls it's quite easy to fix him up in case of screwage. Also Light Brand. Like Leif kicks Roy's ass any day of the week.

He still has Holy Blood, though, even if it's not enough to wield a Holy Weapon. And one of them is Baldr's, so he still gets a boost even if it's not as OP as someone with Major. So yes, he can feel inadequate compared to the likes of Seliph, Shannan, or Ced, but he's still leagues above your average joe. Specially when it's his Holy Blood that lets him wield the Braggi Blade.

9 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I wouldn't say so. Both of his games emphasize that he missed out on the whole holy blood gravy train, as Altena was favored by the sacred genetics. It's something he even confesses to Ced in Thracia, if I recall correctly; he feels inferior because of his lack of superpowered blood.

He does have some talent at fighting, but more thanks to Eyvel's training and his own determination, and it's initially limited by his age and his inexperience. The blood isn't much of a factor for Leif, other than his heritage being a convenient excuse for people to make him into the hero they want - another point that is covered in Thracia, this time by August.

I meant being related to Sigurd. XD

Edit: crap, i was beaten to it.

Edited by lightcosmo

8 minutes ago, Shrimpolaris said:

He honestly isn't bad at all at combat. Especially with Thracia having scrolls it's quite easy to fix him up in case of screwage. Also Light Brand. Like Leif kicks Roy's ass any day of the week.

He's not bad, but he isn't the best either, outside of Manster. His supporting utility is his bigger draw, that's what I really mean.

8 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

He still has Holy Blood, though, even if it's not enough to wield a Holy Weapon. And one of them is Baldr's, so he still gets a boost even if it's not as OP as someone with Major. So yes, he can feel inadequate compared to the likes of Seliph, Shannan, or Ced, but he's still leagues above your average joe. Specially when it's his Holy Blood that lets him wield the Braggi Blade.

Ah, fair enough. Hadn't thought of that.

But then, if he's "leagues above your average Joe", who is Hicks, who is leagues above Leif? Is he the long lost child of Loptyr!?

Spittin' tbh.

8 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Sounds like 3D transition and frame rate issues weren't the death knell people were thinking it'd be after all.

Seems a lot of people just learned to live with it. It's not ideal but they'd accept it in a chill farming sim.

3 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

The good ol' days of FE. When we thought growths triumphed over all and Leif was the worst lord in FE for... some reason. I honestly don't get how we ever perceived that Roy could be beaten by anyone in badness, literally everything is against him lol.

Meanwhile, i've noticed that the GBA Lords all average like the same stats and kinda growths too but then Roy's the only one that gets called bad.

People called me a madman when i said Roy wasn't actually that bad (literally just slap on the Boots, it solves like 98% of his problems).

Then again, people call me a madman for training Sophia.

This is why we don't use "stats" and "logic" because people swear on their life that a character is good or bad and then it ends up being the opposite for someone like consistently.

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

Meanwhile, i've noticed that the GBA Lords all average like the same stats and kinda growths too but then Roy's the only one that gets called bad.

Late Promotion. Seize fest. Big maps. footie lord.

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:
This is why we don't use "stats" and "logic" because people swear on their life that a character is good or bad and then it ends up being the opposite for someone like consistently.

Good old PEMN.

Just now, Shrimpolaris said:

Late Promotion.

People like promoting late anyways.

People will swear on their life that waiting until Lv.20 to promote is optimal but like that only actually matters in Tellius.

2 minutes ago, Shrimpolaris said:

Seize fest. Big maps. footie lord.

MV5BMTA1MTUzOTQ2NzdeQTJeQWpwZ15BbWU4MDMx

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

People like promoting late anyways.

People will swear on their life that waiting until Lv.20 to promote is optimal but like that only actually matters in Tellius.

My Units reach lvl 20 usually at ~ch15-18 and not 2 chapters before endgame

1 minute ago, Shrimpolaris said:

My Units reach lvl 20 usually at ~ch15-18 and not 2 chapters before endgame

My Roy also reaches Lv.20 at around that point too.

I mean yeah late promotion is an issue but all of the GBA Lords promote like at the door to endgame. So i never understood why Roy specifically gets called out. Whoever the main Lord of FE7 is doesn't promote until three chapters before endgame, just like Roy. The Renais Twins don't promote until 4 chapters before endgame which is one more chapter than the Elibe Lords get but also it's Sacred Stones so you're basically just done with the game at that point (and this one is special because you can choose to just not use it right away).

If we wanna go further, Alm and Celica don't promote until near the end of the game too but it's Gaiden so different rules i guess. Ike and Micaiah are the only Lords whose story-based promotions actually happen during the mid game, when there's still quite a few game left.

Hmm, I'm thinking on starting soon to work on CotF's Chapter 10, but now I'm a bit torn over what to do. Had an idea ready in mind... but might change it for another I was reserving... hmm...

8 minutes ago, Armagon said:

If we wanna go further, Alm and Celica don't promote until near the end of the game too but it's Gaiden so different rules i guess. Ike and Micaiah are the only Lords whose story-based promotions actually happen during the mid game, when there's still quite a few game left.

Not quite.

In the original Gaiden, Celica promoted when freeing Irma (unnamed in Gaiden) from Greith's Citadel, so before the last leg of Act 3 (if you go don't go to the Temple first for some reason). Even in SoV the promotion is at the end of Act 3, so there's still a bit of game left for her to go through.

Alm meanwhile you can control his promotion time since it requires Celica to reach the Sage's Hamlet (in both versions), so you could just exclusively play with Celica and have Alm promoted before using him once in Act 4 at the earliest.

Ike promotes at the beginning of Part 4, which isn't mid-game but rather the start of the late game, but then he's only playable since the beginning of Part 3, starting at Level 11 to boot, so that can be decently paced.

Meanwhile Micaiah's first promotion is at the end of Part 1, then her second right before the endgame (the Tower), though she has less playable time between the two promotions than she did before the first, as she misses out Part 2 and her number of playable chapters in Part 3 is the same as in Part 4 before the Tower.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

3 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Ike promotes at the beginning of Part 4, which isn't mid-game but rather the start of the late game, but then he's only playable since the beginning of Part 3, starting at Level 11 to boot, so that can be decently paced.

I was talking about Path of Radiance. 

1 minute ago, Shrimpolaris said:

and they don't have to deal with FE6's shitty giant maps, too

That too! 

...but mostly the fact that FE8 is a joke, difficulty wise.

Just now, Armagon said:

I was talking about Path of Radiance. 

Ah, right. It's more like the two-thirds mark, yes.