Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

8 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

Smash Remix, its an actual mod thats competive viable. 

Ah, so it's the mod. It's come a long way from the time I noticed it. Back then it had only like, two or three new characters. That's neat.

• Replies 176.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

Well, it's official. I have lasted longer with FE1 than I did with FE3 book 1. FE3 book 1 lame and bad. FE1 master race.

What a first attempt, too. First, I leave Rinda in range of three dracoknights. She proceeded to crit two with aura, dodging a deadly hit in the process, while the third got distracted by Mars. And then Ricardo died to a crit and that is one loss I'd rather not take, especially three turns into the map. Managing keys with this game's trading system and four inventory slots would be no fun.

Also, a thing I forgot to share yesterday. Remember the village in Gra where Camus gives you a thoron tome? He claims it was stolen from Boah by bishop Volzhin, the boss of the Archanea castle chapter. In the original, however, that guy wasn't the one responsible. It was the chapter's subboss, for whatever reason.

EP3pUKhJ_o.png

You know, this very sensibly named rando.

57 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

EP3pUKhJ_o.png

OK, but why tho

Seems like the guy is named "Heimler" in English FE11 and the wiki uses that as his FE1 name too, which would be pronounced differently in German (first syllable rhyming with "lime"), so maybe Himmler is closer to the original pronunciation. But still, I personally wouldn't insist on putting the literal #2 nazi's name into my translation patch of a game. If you must, call him "Himler" or something, which would have the same pronunciation anyway.

Used as I am to the DS remakes, it was so weird to see Aritia castle's map have a whole chunk of the castle grounds visible and accessible as opposed to taking place entirely within the castle. The layout is the same, it's just surrounded by mountain and plains instead of a moat. Funky. Pretty sure these parts only exist to have the shops and the deposit in a reasonable place.

Anyway, I lost one chest to a thief, but the rest are mine for the taking. Hardin got to promote.

https://images2.imgbox.com/82/04/Aem1takC_o.pnghttps://images2.imgbox.com/01/9f/TdB1RGGT_o.png

This is why the first game's promotion system sucks. Either you're so bad it just brings you up to "about equal with Jeigan", or you're good enough that it's completely useless to you. And at least paladins gain one movement point - braves, dracoknights and snipers have absolutely nothing to offer if your stats are up to par. The only ones who really gain a tangible benefit from promotion are clerics/mages, since they get to use tomes/staves... but then, that promotion is so late.

5 minutes ago, ping said:

OK, but why tho

Berwick Saga has a miniboss called Goebbels.

You can't make this shit up.

5 minutes ago, ping said:

Seems like the guy is named "Heimler" in English FE11 and the wiki uses that as his FE1 name too, which would be pronounced differently in German (first syllable rhyming with "lime"), so maybe Himmler is closer to the original pronunciation. But still, I personally wouldn't insist on putting the literal #2 nazi's name into my translation patch of a game. If you must, call him "Himler" or something, which would have the same pronunciation anyway.

The wiki probably uses the same names for FE1 as it does for FE11 because the official localization for FE1 is just a watered down version of FE11. Himmler is most definitely the more accurate translation, and this Spanish guy gives zero fucks, so he throws Himmler in there alongside Theda and the verb fenecer. Kaga loves this kind of completely arbitrary, questionable reference. To his credit, though, at least he's never named any major villains or playable characters after nazis. It's always just random minibosses.

...Well, there's Karajan. Looking up the man behind the name, I discovered that while Herbert Von Karajan's known mostly for his legacy as conductor of the Berlin Philarmonic, he was also a massive egomaniac shithead with ties to the nazi party. His career would've been ruined by his apparent amicability with the nazis, but... his, again, massive egomaniac shithead ass refused to conduct with a sheet when performing for Hitler himself. Thought he was above it or something. He fucked up a couple of times and the big guy apparently threw a tantrum and swore Karajan would never conduct again in his presence. Being personally shunned by the Führer singlehandedly saved his sorry behind when the third reich fell.

So uh, yeah. Funny story. Tl;dr: Kaga likes to put nazis in his names for you to murderize with your anime of choice.

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Ah, so it's the mod. It's come a long way from the time I noticed it. Back then it had only like, two or three new characters. That's neat.

Well, it HAS been some time since its initial release.

I have given Maji a dragon scale.

Emblema_de_Fuego_-_El_Dragon_Lobrego_y_l

It is over. He is now invincible.

WZy8OvbZ_o.png

Also Tomth not only zooms around battlefields now, he's also fast enough to double stuff. Thank you, FE1's busted statboosters, for allowing me to meme.

What a ridiculous experience this is being... Seven chapters to go. At this rate, not only will I finish this game, I'm also going to be sad when it ends. Amazing. As if my FE rankings weren't weird enough as it is, FE1 of all things might score high.

Like, seriously guys, I'm trying to come up with an argument to place it below Radiant Dawn. I can't. It's a list based on my personal enjoyment. I am enjoying this game more than Radiant Dawn and it's not even a contest.

Oof.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

XC2 modding stuff but put in spoilers for STORY reasons!

Spoiler

Pnuema's Infinity Blade now heals 100% critical damage dealt as HP, and also has 100% Critical Rate. 

Pnuema also Lowers Ether Defence, Resistance, and Physical Defence with each corrsponding blade special. 

(Imo XC2 undersoled how awesome Pnuema is supposed to be, so im rectifying that.

12 minutes ago, Moonspeak said:

Lmao

Games are full of lil gems to discover, I see.

SID2Vn9.png

12 minutes ago, Moonspeak said:

(notice the stache tho, deutsche qualität there)

Yes, gotta admit, he does rock that facial hair. Like his ten or twelve twin brothers.

15 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

As an aside, if X2 were to get an arctic region, I want a lot of breathtaking beauty along the coast (assuming XC3 doesn't have such a location)

It doesn't, in fact, I'd argue Xenoblade 3's ice area is the weakest. It's by far the smallest of the the three (tbf, this game goes for a more Xenoblade X "region" approach so the snow area is simply one biome in the region) and it's still mountainous.

...but I just now realized but Xenoblade X doesn't have a snow area at all. Not even in the peaks. Interesting.

An Artic/Antarctic-themed snow area would be a new take on it. Hell most games with snow area prefer to place them in mountains or just "the north".

6 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Huh. I can't think of a situation where Rex would back down. The shared-injuries thing means it couldn't be a scenario where Rex wasn't fit to lead. And I don't think Monolith would've done this for a girl vs. girl event where Pyra and Nia have a training duel where Rex is watching on the sidelines  -another possibility I can imagine for a "Driver Pyra".

Hmm. Perhaps the tag-team idea of Torna was decided early in development, before they decided to go for the final approach for lore reasons.

58 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

XC2 modding stuff but put in spoilers for STORY reasons!

Reveal hidden contents

Pnuema's Infinity Blade now heals 100% critical damage dealt as HP, and also has 100% Critical Rate. 

Pnuema also Lowers Ether Defence, Resistance, and Physical Defence with each corrsponding blade special. 

(Imo XC2 undersoled how awesome Pnuema is supposed to be, so im rectifying that.

Spoiler

It's less that and more of Pneuma's Affinity Chart is permanently stuck at Rank E.

She's like the Ares 90 in Xenoblade X. Very strong and allows for unique stuff but you can't really invest in it so anything can be made stronger through customization.

Just now, Armagon said:

Reveal hidden contents

It's less that and more of Pneuma's Affinity Chart is permanently stuck at Rank E.

She's like the Ares 90 in Xenoblade X. Very strong and allows for unique stuff but you can't really invest in it so anything can be made stronger through customization.

Spoiler

Pnuema also grants Rex Ether +60% as well. Idk what else I could do, I cant fix the affinity chart sadly.

I may have a terrible plan for the future.

10 minutes ago, Moonspeak said:

God

Who was in charge of names

Shouzou Kaga. Fire Emblem's creator and director of the first five names, if you didn't know. He is quite the infamous figure. He is also a highly insane man.

Incidentally, the last screenshot I posted wasn't Fire Emblem. See, I tricked you, you fell right into my trap. That was Berwick Saga, one of the games Kaga made after leaving Intelligent Systems after the release of Fire Emblem 5.

It's also the greatest strategy game I've ever played. So you know. Go and play it now.

10 minutes ago, Moonspeak said:

Faramir better take care of this one quick, hid dad may get angry at him again.

That moment when you recognize the names Faramir and Nazgul in LOTR from Berwick Saga rather than the other way around.

...I'm such a weirdo...

DAMNIT I DID IT AGAIN AAAAA

I underestimated FE1 again. I was feeling so powerful. I had promoted Hardin, I had made Maji invincible, Tomth was even more of a meme, tihngs were looking up. So, I allowed myself to lower my guard. I tried to enemy phase a blob of enemies with Hardin.

aU03djOQ_o.png

He died.

Whoops. Guess FE3 doesn't happen anymore. Go home everyone, it's the good ending route.

Aran is better anyway

At least I got the filler Black Order map out of the way. It went by in a flash, and it really wasn't difficult, once I got my wake up call and started paying attention. Jesus fucking Christ though, why are this game's enemies so deceptively powerful? Or, well... they aren't. It's my guys that are deceptively squishy! I need to keep my guard up.

...Ahhh, well. At least now I have room for Lorenz(?). Maybe I'll even be able to cart Rena around for hammerne, that'd be nice too.

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

It doesn't, in fact, I'd argue Xenoblade 3's ice area is the weakest. It's by far the smallest of the the three (tbf, this game goes for a more Xenoblade X "region" approach so the snow area is simply one biome in the region) and it's still mountainous.

Considering the Titans were basically "islands" easily kept apart and small, the changeover to more of an XCX thing sounds like it's more practical and natural. Bionis, Mechonis, and Torna were able to limit the "spread" of their locations through limiting their connection points.

An Artic/Antarctic-themed snow area would be a new take on it. Hell most games with snow area prefer to place them in mountains or just "the north".

First- Penguins need coastlines IRL.:

Penguin_range.png

I don't think Xeno has imitated penguins yet? But if we want them -well we don't need coastlines b/c these would be fantasy animals not obliged to stick to their real Earth habitats- but it would be a natural fit for them. (Considering XCX uses the scientific Linnaean classification names for many Indigens, XenoPenguins would probably be something like "Sphenisci" or "Spheni" to shorten it.) (We could also get Indigen seals "Pinniped" and walruses "Odobenus", they need coastline too. Maybe a giant Greenland Shark-themed Tyrant, they aren't menacing hunters like others shark species, but they do live 250-500 years, the longest of any known vertebrae species. And live only in the depths of the Arctic and North Atlantic Oceans. They're scientifically interesting enough to deserve representation.) 

Second, Antarctica does have some mountains.:

1920px-Dugdale_and_Murray_Glacier_-_Anta

So we'd get a few ridges, and probably get some kind of tall solitary peak, it's too basic a trope. But I could see "Arctic Mira" being more open and flatter in general than Valak and Tantal.

To replace some absent mountains, I would sprinkle a heftier dose of alien ruins in Arctic Mira. They could punctuate the skyline and the horizon, be the things that make you want to explore into the distance. Ruins like environments with low humidity, humidity is atmospheric water. You can make things so hot and water-deprived that everything is evaporated out of the air. Or, you freeze the water solid and cool the air, cold air can hold less water vapor than warm air. Consistently cold climates can be as good as consistently hot ones for the preservation of artifice. It would make logical sense for a lot of ruins to be there (Valak, and to a lesser extent Tantal, agree). Coincidentally, I think Noctilum and Primordia, the regions that appear to have the least surviving ancient Miran ruins in them, are also definitely and probably the most first and second most humid in X1. I would also be inclined to make Arctic Mira a region the story only demands a visit to later on.

...And now a new idea has popped into my head. A chilly one, but one that has nothing to do with the Antarctic (although it is relevant to the Arctic). Taiga! Aka "Boreal Forests", the cold plains with piney evergreens that we often call "tundra", but scientifically isn't. Northern Canada, Alaska, most of Scandinavia, lots of Siberia- they're taiga. Neither Valak nor Tantal do I remember having many if any trees in them. If we had an entire vast XCX region, we could readily draw in a boreal forest biome somewhere, for a pinch of variety. I'd probably put it near the intended entry point to the region and designate at least part of it as the abode of the obligatory lower level enemies, some fluffy, as IRL taiga was good for fur and wild game hunting.

...but I just now realized but Xenoblade X doesn't have a snow area at all. Not even in the peaks. Interesting.

I think they could've thrown a glacier atop the mountains next to the big lake in western Primordia (I forget its name). IRL, a lot of the water that flows down into rivers from mountains, comes from snowmelt and ancient glaciers (climate change unnaturally accelerating their melting is going to worsen water shortages IRL). I understand why stories/fantasy worlds don't include this though, people either forget this, or it'd be awkward to fit in.

...Thinking about XCX's five regions- what to do about them? We can't move NLA, and NLA is essential. We obviously need new regions, and will be getting some, but what to do about the old? Xeno is no stranger to the concept of terraformation, Monolith could shut off the geothermal activity in Cauldros and turn the atmosphere from burning to freezer burn with a plausible excuse in a blink. I don't love this though, as we know there has to be more Mira that humanity has yet to explore. Monolith couldn't have denied us east-west travel wraparound without a reason.

Since we've gotten Torna, Future Connected sorta, and now the XC3 DLC expansion story, maybe that's the solution? We somehow get shoved into a set of new regions with a new human + friendly Xenos outpost set up for the main story (which now necessitates a time gap between the end to X1 and X2, of a month or two in order to explain why humanity has made camp on a new continent). MMORPGs are no stranger to expansions, which XCX leans ever so slightly into being. Maybe the old regions (perhaps not NLA-Primordia, but the rest could be off limits) get DLC'ed? Or maybe we start with a second ark ship (a possibility if you remember a certain quest) that crashed in the other hemisphere? Elma would show up a little later then. The second ark ship might not have to be very populous to allow the White Whale to retain narrative emphasis, Elma did indicate some could hold no more than like 100k(?).

What themes to use for the new regions? Since the possibility of the old ones returning exists, I'm hesitant to repeat themes. It's a new problem for Xenoblade. It wasn't a problem getting Primordia or Gormott because the Bionis's Leg wasn't in the same game. Do we need another rainforest if you can fly to Noctilum? -More "completely alien" like Sylvalum is 👌 to me though, that we can and should repeat.

Just gimme the sequel already so I can stop wasting my brain overthinking this stuff!

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

We could also get Indigen seals "Pinniped" and walruses "Odobenus

Xenoblade 3 did have some new otter-type enemies so that's a step closer I guess.

To replace some absent mountains, I would sprinkle a heftier dose of alien ruins in Arctic Mira. They could punctuate the skyline and the horizon, be the things that make you want to explore into the distance. 

Ah, the classic "there is an alien civilization or some shit in Antarctica" conspiracy theory being used to make an area in Xenoblade X would be neat.

maybe we start with a second ark ship (a possibility if you remember a certain quest) that crashed in the other hemisphere? Elma would show up a little later then. The second ark ship might not have to be very populous to allow the White Whale to retain narrative emphasis, Elma did indicate some could hold no more than like 100k(?).

I've actually speculated that a Xenoblade X2 could focus on this other ark (presumably Neo Tokyo). Like one of the ways the whole thing could've played out in my mind is this:

Xenoblade X deals with NLA arriving and surviving against the Ganglion threat.

Xenoblade X2 deals with Neo Tokyo arriving and surviving against the Ghost threat (remember it was the Ghosts who shot down the White Whale too). They also discover that about their whole situation.

Xenoblade X3 deals with both cities trying to make sense of that whole post-credits scene.

Especially now after Xenoblade 3, I wouldn't be surprised if they want to give X it's own trilogy as well except that one would be about as standalone as the Xenosaga trilogy, which is to say not at all (ok maybe you might be able to go into X2 without playing the first).