Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

I'd say, it could be interesting if FE implemented something similar to SRW's Supporter system. Wonder how it could be pulled off...

• Replies 176.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

01101000 01100001 01101000 01100001 01101000 01100001😆

01001100 01101101 01100001 01101111

2 hours ago, Newtype06 said:

Oof

And my ps plus subscription ends this month...

Sorry matey, I must have done you wrong via misinformation...

You can still play LJ first, since while it is a decent spoiler, it doesn't spoil the core conflict of LAD in my opinion; you don't need to bend over backwards if you don't want to!

8 hours ago, Benice said:

The precursor to non-binary Tomas in FE11

Is this for both DS games? Since if it's only in one then it can likely be a coding error.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Yeah in both lores, humanity has to abandon Earth. But the key is that they were able to establish galactic civilization status before eventually one piece of it falls on an uncharted planet.

I mean... gninialpxe emos sdeen nairaamas eht ,emag rettal ruo fo eurtnu eb ton thgim taht.

Would it be easier to type that normally in XCX spoilers?  Yes. But thgindim ta etirw ot nuf erom si siht.😛

And it ain't the biggest deal either, being open to speculation.

1 hour ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I'd say, it could be interesting if FE implemented something similar to SRW's Supporter system. Wonder how it could be pulled off...

I'm not sure FE would need as many Supporters. It doesn't have a heaping crossover cast to pull from for candidates either.

I would rather the game establish a small handful of professional tacticians/strategists/logisticians and perhaps important noncombatant figureheads and include some kind of leveling system for them that unlocks new skills and improves existing ones. So they're deeper than SRW. Maybe two early so-called tacticians of contrasting viewpoints, and later additions end up representing additions to the heroic coalition. Like for Path of Radiance (ignoring that I'm converting playable characters for this example, this wouldn't happen in a brand new FE with the cast accounting for Supporters from the start of the writing and gameplay creation processes)- Titania, Soren, Elincia, Tanith, Ranulf. Elincia gets included because she might have zero tactician skills, but she is the princess who isn't fighting for 90% of PoR, is nonetheless the figurehead who everyone else is fighting to give a throne back to, and she would like to help however she can. I'd give the same status to FE6 Guinevere, whose fellow Supporters would be Merlinus, Elffin, and maybe Joder.

Although I didn't play it, I'm aware of Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth, where the noncombatant "Navigator" characters still accompany their allies into battle. You get to pick one before venturing into the labyrinth, and the two navigators each get a set of unique skills. One of the navigators specializes in turn order manipulation IIRC, the other I believe is all about healing. A similar system was set up in the first Etrian Odyssey Untold.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

7 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I'm not sure FE would need as many Supporters. It doesn't have a heaping crossover cast to pull from for candidates either.

I would rather the game establish a small handful of professional tacticians/strategists/logisticians and perhaps important noncombatant figureheads and include some kind of leveling system for them that unlocks new skills and improves existing ones. So they're deeper than SRW. Maybe two early so-called tacticians of contrasting viewpoints, and later additions end up representing additions to the heroic coalition. Like for Path of Radiance (ignoring that I'm converting playable characters for this example, this wouldn't happen in a brand new FE with the cast accounting for Supporters from the start of the writing and gameplay creation processes)- Titania, Soren, Elincia, Tanith, Ranulf. Elincia gets included because she might have zero tactician skills, but she is the princess who isn't fighting for 90% of PoR, is nonetheless the figurehead who everyone else is fighting to give a throne back to, and she would like to help however she can. I'd give the same status to FE6 Guinevere, whose fellow Supporters would be Merlinus, Elffin, and maybe Joder.

Although I didn't play it, I'm aware of Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth, where the noncombatant "Navigator" characters still accompany their allies into battle. You get to pick one before venturing into the labyrinth, and the two navigators each get a set of unique skills. One of the navigators specializes in turn order manipulation IIRC, the other I believe is all about healing. A similar system was set up in the first Etrian Odyssey Untold.

Yeah, converting the already existing games would require turning a couple of the characters into Supporters. As it stands, for new games it could be a way to not as high count of PC's.

The Supporter System isn't even SRW's first forage into the topic. Like, Z2 had a "role assignation" system where you could put a few PC's. They wouldn't participate in the chapter itself, but depending on what role you assigned them, you still gained something. Either some extra money, or PP, or the assigned units would gain a set amount of EXP. Basically the bench still gave your characters something to do.

28 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Is this for both DS games? Since if it's only in one then it can likely be a coding error.

Would Shadow Dragon even have a variable like this?

I mean, what use is there for it besides Lady Sword access? Cleary it doesn't affect reclass options.

3 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

I mean, what use is there for it besides Lady Sword access? Cleary it doesn't affect reclass options.

Depends on how exactly the reclass set is decided. Since more than one variable can point to the same reclass set, after all.

Okay, I'm ready to upload Chapter 13. However, I'll do it early tomorrow.

---

In the meantime... it's done. Harkon's dead. I've finished Dawnguard's storyline. I still have like, one non-repeatable radiant left to do, and I can finally move on.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

1 hour ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I don't know, actually; the only time I've heard of this was from this tweet.

9 hours ago, Shrimpy said:

f7Sj3IC.png

Lies and slander towards every character who actually fought to free their country.

The most she did was trying to stay still. That was Athol at her best lmao

History is written by the victors. Some even say Karajan didn't singlehandedly save Vestaria!

9 hours ago, Shrimpy said:

RFYMFYw.png

Classic Kaga

Down to the guy's name. Seriously, random-ass brigand called Aristotle? I love it.

7 hours ago, Newtype06 said:

As an ex aspiring geologist, you make me proud.

Thanks.

7 hours ago, Newtype06 said:

No, and you should already know that after I played Papers, Please

I knew by the time you exposed yourself as the anime guy.

7 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

He isn't multiple people, it's worse, he's French.

No!

Puns are mine pyrite! I will diamond on this hill. Agate sapphire burns in my heart for wordplay, Iron do not take it for granite. I peridon't care if they rub-y you the wrong way, you will carnelian before my quips, for they are made of gold. I amethyst the greatest wordsilversmith there is! Be opalled at what you bear witness topaz!

...Well.

These puns don't rock.

Damnit why can't I ever keep up with all the wordsmiths here

And here I won't disagree. Book 1 is easy. Book 2 is easy too, but in my old review of FE3, I felt Book 1 was rather heartless and that all the love had been placed in Book 2. Where the enemies were also a little more threatening. -Not that I'm going to force you to give 3B2 another chance.

I mean, I know book 2 has things going for it, but honestly, now that I've played FE1, I don't think I see the argument for book 1 anymore. Either you play FE11 for a more modern take on it, or you play the original. There's little reason to go for the almost as clunky and outdated, watered down version. Without Riff.

Like, even my old "Wendell being in Aurelis's jail makes more sense" argument doesn't apply here, because in FE1 he doesn't attack. Wendel's just red due to hardware limitations not allowing for a green faction, I guess, but he doesn't attack and just makes a beeline for Mars if Malik doesn't intercept him first. Unlike in FE11 where he just... sort of randomly sets the entire army ablaze for no reason. And Banutu has infinite dragonstones, doesn't have to waste a turn turning and thus is basically a better armor - not that those are very good, but the point is, FE1 good. Book 1 worthless.

Okay knights promoting is one plus. The only one that really comes to mind, honestly.

Like at least FE1's graphics have that grungy retro charm to them. FE3 is in a weird middle ground where it's too good looking to be charming, but too ugly to be genuinely pleasant on the eyes like FE4 and especially 5 are.

4 hours ago, BrightBow said:

4 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Depends on how exactly the reclass set is decided. Since more than one variable can point to the same reclass set, after all.

I seriously doubt class sets have anything to do with it, since males have two.

It's more likely that this is for Excalibur and Aura, since in that game they aren't locked to Merric and Linda, but they can only be used by men and women, respectively.

...Which begs the question. What happens if Tomas is a mage?

7 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

History is written by the victors. Some even say Karajan didn't singlehandedly save Vestaria!

You act like the Holydrake doesn't exist.
Not like Karajan is even available for every map.

8 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

It's more likely that this is for Excalibur and Aura, since in that game they aren't locked to Merric and Linda, but they can only be used by men and women, respectively.

Oh yeah, that was a thing. A really weird, random and quite frankly completely nonsensical thing

All right, first promotion of the run! Seazer has reached level 10 and become a brave. Isn't that awesome.

...I... don't think his stats have changed. Not even movement. But who cares. EXP gains aren't even affected in this game. Promotion has really only granted him cooler animations and an extra 10 levels. I could've waited, but... eh. Little need. I have nobody else to promote into brave, and that's the only use for the... sgn. bravo I had. Cavalier promotion will require a bit more finesse, because Hardin is already great, meaning he has no need for it immediately, while I don't believe I've ever seen Rocher get any level that isn't skill, wplvl and HP.

...Besides, looking at it closely, he has gained a couple HP and, most importantly, enough wplvl to use every sword in the game. Now that, that is very good.

4 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

You act like the Holydrake doesn't exist.
Not like Karajan is even available for every map.

Ah, true. How could I commit such a lapse in judgment.

4 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Oh yeah, that was a thing. A really weird, random and quite frankly completely nonsensical thing

Miloah sealed his own super tome so he couldn't use it. And people wonder why he lost to Gharnef.

I'm trying to come up with a strategy to reliably beat chapter 15. I just don't know what they were thinking there. Now that the AI knows how to use Re-Move, it feels like there is just no way to reliably clear it. 

Best I could think of is to use the Blessed Tincture on Amlute, to bait half the lancers into a corner. I loath to use Clemency-only items, but back when Clemency mode was a separate difficulty level, the AI also could not just gang up on individual targets. So I suppose it should be fine in this case.

It's a shame that the fact that Baruke is Phoeve and Laffine's uncle is not alluded to anywhere before the epilogue. Not even when Baruke and Laffine come to blows.
I guess they just didn't come up with this until they actually wrote the epilogue. But it feels like a waste not to overhaul the rest of the script to account for this tidbit.

Edited by BrightBow

Well.

You know that whole plan I had to use Minerva?

Yeah, I can't use Minerva anymore. She got crit to death by a sniper who wouldn't have killed her otherwise due to her immense defense.

Awesome. Well, I guess fuck fliers, then. Peggies suck and they will continue to suck until as far as chapter 19.

...Ahh, well. At least now I have room for Tomth. Or Mishelan, though I think I find Tomth to be the funnier name.

Also, I gave Banutu the speed ring. Now he can double stuff that has more than 0 AS. I am pleased by this fact.

14 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

I'm trying to come up with a strategy to reliably beat chapter 15. I just don't know what they were thinking there. Now that the AI knows how to use Re-Move, feels like there is just no way to reliably clear it. 

Best I could think of is to use the Blessed Tincture on Amlute, to bait half the lancers into a corner. I loath to use Clemency-only items, but back when Clemency mode was a separate difficulty level, the AI also could not just gang up on individual targets. So I suppose it should be fine in this case.

Yeah, chapter 15 is a weird one. I don't think Kaga thought the changes through too much. But once you're past turn 2, you're good, so it doesn't upset me too much.

14 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

It's a shame that the fact that Baruke is Phoeve and Laffine's uncle is not alluded to anywhere before the epilogue. Not even when Baruke and Laffine come to blows.
I guess they just didn't come up with this until they actually wrote the epilogue. But it feels like a waste not to overhaul the rest of the script to account for this tidbit.

VS2 Spoilers ahead

Spoiler

I'm more annoyed by the fact that Zade gets an exclusive death convo with Baruke where he doesn't even participate, but Laffine just gets the same one as everyone else. Like, the only extra thing Baruke does there is beg his sister to save him, she ignores him and then Zade stabs him three times like everyone else, but with a fancy red overlay. Why couldn't Laffine get that? Or better yet, give that to everyone and give her something more personal. She has far more reason to be angry about Roleck's "death" than Zade, the guy who only spoke to Roleck like, three times.

...Also, unrelated, but can I take a moment to rant about Roleck's death? Roleck's survival establishes that Arielle, due to her training as a former circlet maiden (this is an important detail), has the power to bring people back from the dead, to an extent at least. And it's a pretty generous extent, too - Roleck got torn open, his guts splattered all over the ground, and then he spent roughly half a day rotting under the sun. Arielle still managed to save him. With great difficulty and he's knocked out until the final chapter - and that's only if you send Bennette back to him! - but she saved him nonetheless.

This could be okay... If it wasn't for the fact that a mere three chapters later, Kaga expects me to believe Vlad cannot be saved. You know, the guy who had not one but TWO former circlet maidens at his bedside, one of whom is the person who has been confirmed to be able to bring rotting corpses back to life; and whose injuries, while grave, still allowed him to escape Cordea keep, run all the way around the mountain and hang on to dear life for over a day. Not to mention, he's Arielle's own father. She couldn't save him. She just stood there and watched alongside Börte while he delivered some cliché final words.

Just... why? Honestly, I know it's weird for me to say this of a beardman, but he would've been better off dead. Roleck does nothing in the story past his "death" and his survival makes Vlad's death feel completely stupid and Arielle look bad.

nibdXAM2_o.png

Notice what's wrong here?

Anyway, funny hippopotamus knight, as well Boa, Midia and Thomas got. I'm probably going to use all of them. Particularly Boa and Midia. Being prepromoted in this game is the best. Since promo only brings you up to the class bases if you hadn't reached them yet, growth units just have to put in extra work only to be equal to the prepromotes. Case in point, I managed to get Thomas the two levels he needed for promotion, just barely. He's worse than Georges in every area except for speed, of which he has one more. Nice.

Of course, Hardin is better than Midia and everyone else without even promoting, but that's because he's Hardin.

I also gave Wolf a strength ring. I'm not sure if Thomas will remain, he's pretty redundant, but big(ish) power bows on a horse is neat. I suppose Thomas could always serve as backup for when I lose more units.

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

VS2 Spoilers ahead

Hide contents

I'm more annoyed by the fact that Zade gets an exclusive death convo with Baruke where he doesn't even participate, but Laffine just gets the same one as everyone else. Like, the only extra thing Baruke does there is beg his sister to save him, she ignores him and then Zade stabs him three times like everyone else, but with a fancy red overlay. Why couldn't Laffine get that? Or better yet, give that to everyone and give her something more personal. She has far more reason to be angry about Roleck's "death" than Zade, the guy who only spoke to Roleck like, three times.

...Also, unrelated, but can I take a moment to rant about Roleck's death? Roleck's survival establishes that Arielle, due to her training as a former circlet maiden (this is an important detail), has the power to bring people back from the dead, to an extent at least. And it's a pretty generous extent, too - Roleck got torn open, his guts splattered all over the ground, and then he spent roughly half a day rotting under the sun. Arielle still managed to save him. With great difficulty and he's knocked out until the final chapter - and that's only if you send Bennette back to him! - but she saved him nonetheless.

This could be okay... If it wasn't for the fact that a mere three chapters later, Kaga expects me to believe Vlad cannot be saved. You know, the guy who had not one but TWO former circlet maidens at his bedside, one of whom is the person who has been confirmed to be able to bring rotting corpses back to life; and whose injuries, while grave, still allowed him to escape Cordea keep, run all the way around the mountain and hang on to dear life for over a day. Not to mention, he's Arielle's own father. She couldn't save him. She just stood there and watched alongside Börte while he delivered some cliché final words.

Just... why? Honestly, I know it's weird for me to say this of a beardman, but he would've been better off dead. Roleck does nothing in the story past his "death" and his survival makes Vlad's death feel completely stupid and Arielle look bad.

I suppose it does kind of fall apart everywhere. It's unfortunate.

Despite it's size and being a direct sequel, I suppose I can see why it used to be a Gaiden. It does feel like the main story ultimately was not a point of much concern. And it's also noteable that everything that happens is rather inconsequential and the main characters end up more or less where they were at the end of the last game. Like Shenmue 3.

And I mean, stuff like 5x and Zayid or Amlute's backstory show that the man is as wordy and elaborate as always. There is plenty of the kind of writing (for better or worse) you'd expect. Meanwhile the actual main plot is always rather brief and barebone.

gninialpxe emos sdeen nairaamas eht ,emag rettal ruo fo eurtnu eb ton thgim taht

What?

20 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

nibdXAM2_o.png

Notice what's wrong here?

Hippos do move much faster than one would think, even on land. 30 km/h is no joke. So I think the real question is: What's wrong with every other incarnation of the Knight class in the series?!

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

What?

.gnipyt ,lleW .sdrawkcab gniklat s'eH

If oron epref erth espa ceat thew rongs pot sapp roach.

12 hours ago, Shrimpy said:

RFYMFYw.png

Classic Kaga

Nothing like some implied sexual violence to quickly and cheaply establish that a villain is sufficiently evil to be murdered without any moral implications.

(Not that post-Kaga FE was immune to this. Narcian, Gheb, Valter...)

12 minutes ago, ping said:

Nothing like some implied sexual violence to quickly and cheaply establish that a villain is sufficiently evil to be murdered without any moral implications.

(Not that post-Kaga FE was immune to this. Narcian, Gheb, Valter...)

Also Tharja, Corrin and the "even if you cry and scream, I won't stop" guy.

Edit:
I looked it up and the guy's name was Niles.

Edited by BrightBow

The wooden cavalry has fallen. There are three major differences: One, these guys only have 2 range here. They're still pretty scary, because they tank hits like they are literal tanks and they dish out mean hits. It just feels less dumb than it does in Shadow Dragon, where they cover half the map. Of course, this does render Jake and Beck into pretty massive joke units. Why in the world would I take a 4 move archer along? I guess for the same reason I took Tom and Hagar in that one run of TRS, but I think I'll stick to Georges and Wolf, thank you very much.

Two, Astram is called Astoria and he's good, for once. Same story as always, he arrives and he's instantly as good as Seazer because prepromotes in FE1. But I find Seazer funnier, so I'll stick with him.

As for the second difference... The translation, as per usual, could not keep from using the most ancient, obscure term for "wooden" imaginable. I didn't even know "lignaria" was a word. It sounds like a ligma joke, but no. It really is a synonym for "wooden" that's long fallen into disuse. Seriously, did a Spanish major decide to waste his time translating FE1 or something? Not even I am as pompous as this translation lol

In any case, Rocher has promoted. Despite the fact that all of his levels have been terrible, I'm surprised to find out he's actually a bit better than Midia. Shame, though, I wanted to use Midia... Eh, the best cavalier I have is Tomth, anyway.

Oh, and Maji continues to be utterly insane. At this rate he's going to ram some caps. Unbelievable.

22 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

I suppose it does kind of fall apart everywhere. It's unfortunate.

It does, however, have Karajan. So it's all good.

11 minutes ago, ping said:

Hippos do move much faster than one would think, even on land. 30 km/h is no joke. So I think the real question is: What's wrong with every other incarnation of the Knight class in the series?!

They aren't hippos like Tomth.

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

The wooden cavalry has fallen. There are three major differences: One, these guys only have 2 range here. They're still pretty scary, because they tank hits like they are literal tanks and they dish out mean hits. It just feels less dumb than it does in Shadow Dragon, where they cover half the map. Of course, this does render Jake and Beck into pretty massive joke units. Why in the world would I take a 4 move archer along? I guess for the same reason I took Tom and Hagar in that one run of TRS, but I think I'll stick to Georges and Wolf, thank you very much.

I suppose at least Thomas and Hagar could use conventional bows sold in regular stores.

7 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Also Tharja, Corrin and the "even if you cry and scream, I won't stop" guy.

Edit:
I looked it up and the guy's name was Niles.

Hey, leave Niles alone. He lets me put generics in my team.

1 minute ago, BrightBow said:

I suppose at least Thomas and Hagar could use conventional bows sold in regular stores.

Yeah, they were less inconvenient. Just a tad.