• Replies 177k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

A lot of Native Americans are calling for boycotts of James Cameron's Avatar sequel because from what I hear the film is the epitome of the Noble Savage trope. Now I've never watched either films and likely never will because of these poor interpretations of Indigenous people (I mean seriously, using aliens as an allegory for Natives and regular humans as white colonialists is a big fucking yikes from me) but because I think it would be really funny if this sequel flopped, I second the boycott. In the name of Indigenous peoples rights and funny memes I ask you to boycott or just not watch this film.

6 hours ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

It's....

VACAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON
TIMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now gimme Enjeji

Congrats, enjoy!!

I’m on break myself from school and uh… struggling to do that (kind of, I mean no school is no school)

Edited by Sooks

I already said Vestaria crashes. For some reason, SRPG Studio does not immediately crash though.

I've been messing around a little on the map editing but have been slow on progress towards the game I described a while back using maps from throughout FE as the template.

5 minutes ago, Edelguardiansing said:

A lot of Native Americans are calling for boycotts of James Cameron's Avatar sequel because from what I hear the film is the epitome of the Noble Savage trope. Now I've never watched either films and likely never will because of these poor interpretations of Indigenous people (I mean seriously, using aliens as an allegory for Natives and regular humans as white colonialists is a big fucking yikes from me) but because I think it would be really funny if this sequel flopped, I second the boycott. In the name of Indigenous peoples rights and funny memes I ask you to boycott or just not watch this film.

I mean, if it's anything like the first (And I've heard it is) that's pretty likely.

So yeah, I suppose so.

28 minutes ago, Edelguardiansing said:

I saw the first movie years ago when I was a kid and I don't remember anything about it and the sequel is probably just as boring.

Instead I will be watching Puss in Boots 2, a movie that actually looks really good (thank you Spider-Verse for letting 3D animation studios move past "Disney").

Today I met someone I went to school with. Hadn't seen him in some 10 years. It was difficult associating the hyperactive troublemaker I knew with this calm, collected young barber. Made me realize how much we've grown. It's an odd feeling.

On top of that, this morning I felt heat while scratching the top of my head. I decided to snap a pic and scout the territory. As it turns out, there's a crater the size of Caineghis's muscles on my beautiful mane of hair. A handful of months ago it was some thin strips. Couple years back there was nothing. In conclusion: I have two or three years before I am as bald as my father.

Combined it would be enough to make me undergo the fabled experience known only as "feel old", but... Frankly, I'm too happy right now for that. Looking back, strictly on a personal level, this has been the best year of my life. Never has everything gone so well, never have I been this positively content with life. If realizing I'm going bald at the ripe age of 23 is the worst thing that's going to happen to me before we enter 2023, I'm going to call it a massive win.

...Besides, going bald only means I don't have to wait too long before I reach peak male performance.

6 hours ago, Armagon said:

FkqHhAIXwAACq7D?format=jpg&name=large

Supports are gained adjacently only. In the past, there was like two or three spaces you could be within but now you have to be next to someone. Though with the lower mov, maybe it makes sense.

Still, i ain't feeling this one too much chief. 

Well, it does add a bit of strategizing to support gaining. If it was "end turn adjacent" like in GBA I'd completely agree it sucks, but since it's likely to be all actions as in the other modern titles, I don't think it'll be that much worse.

5 hours ago, Punished Dayni said:

Ah yes, Garon memes outside FE.

Yessss

We are spreading.

35 minutes ago, Edelguardiansing said:

Not too difficult, considering I have zero interest in this.

Then again, who even is this movie aimed for? I thought the first one had long been forgotten by all. Aside from my coworker who claims to still love the first one and would only consider the mockery of a minority to be a positive in favor of the movie.

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Today I met someone I went to school with. Hadn't seen him in some 10 years. It was difficult associating the hyperactive troublemaker I knew with this calm, collected young barber. Made me realize how much we've grown. It's an odd feeling.

Makes me wonder how one of my earliest friends is doing. He moved to Puerto Rico partway through 5th Grade, I never saw him again. Hope he's doing alright.

3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Well, it does add a bit of strategizing to support gaining. If it was "end turn adjacent" like in GBA I'd completely agree it sucks, but since it's likely to be all actions as in the other modern titles, I don't think it'll be that much worse.

That is true.

3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Aside from my coworker who claims to still love the first one and would only consider the mockery of a minority to be a positive in favor of the movie.

Oh 

I don't think I could recognize well even those I went to college with.

To wit, I still remember an encounter or two with people saying we were classmates in school and I'm like...

See the source image

Edited by Acacia Sgt

16 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I saw the first movie years ago when I was a kid and I don't remember anything about it and the sequel is probably just as boring.

Instead I will be watching Puss in Boots 2, a movie that actually looks really good (thank you Spider-Verse for letting 3D animation studios move past "Disney").

"Puss in Boots 2 looks good" is not a phrase I thought I'd hear ever but I'm happy for it nonetheless because animation as a medium deserves it.

6 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Then again, who even is this movie aimed for? I thought the first one had long been forgotten by all. Aside from my coworker who claims to still love the first one and would only consider the mockery of a minority to be a positive in favor of the movie.

Ouch!

Well while we're laughing at this movie, let me recommend an actually good movie about American Indians other than Smoke Signals. It's uh...um.

...Lilo and Stitch?

3 minutes ago, Edelguardiansing said:

Ouch!

"I love being racist, it's so funny."

- Actual line he said two days ago.

Like I said. Fun time.

3 minutes ago, Edelguardiansing said:

Well while we're laughing at this movie, let me recommend an actually good movie about American Indians other than Smoke Signals. It's uh...um.

...Lilo and Stitch?

Hey, I remember that! I remember it was neat. There was a fat alien and a thin alien and a gremlin one number off the devil's number.

9 minutes ago, Edelguardiansing said:

Puss in Boots 2 looks good" is not a phrase I thought I'd hear ever but I'm happy for it nonetheless because animation as a medium deserves it.

DreamWorks popping off with this one.

4 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

love being racist, it's so funny."

- Actual line he said two days ago.

Like I said. Fun time.

Wait is he one of those "I love dark humor *racism*" guys?

I need a food processor, crushing graham crackers by hand for holiday cookies needs too much elbow grease (well, minus the grease, that wouldn't be very tasty).🍪 Microscopic momentary snow flurries are nice though for this eve of Xmas Eve.🌨️

1 hour ago, Edelguardiansing said:

I can understand how it'd be possible to establish this kind of problematic association. If humanity can venture into the depths of space and land on a planetoid wherein there is intelligent life, but the intelligent life, while sophisticated (and developed enough to pose some resistance to Earthlings), hasn't yet ventured into the sea of stars, it must be lagging behind in tech. Also, while "alien" can mean "alien tech", in certain situations it has an organic association, and humans are fascinated by the concept of a pristine distant planet teeming with natural life unlike that on Earth. 

Not to say I approve of the association. While I do like sci-fi, using non-humans as a metaphor Other-ed humans, that's always a questionable idea. I recall a few years ago a certain award-nominee film -The Shape of Water- got some flak for setting up a love story between a young woman who cannot speak with an aquatic creature. Directly comparing and shipping someone with a real disability to a (kind) monster... I think I can guess how some people responded in sign language- 🖕.

...BTW, I was catching up on my reading and read a very brief article on Crazy Horse/Tasunke Witko (they were nice enough to list his Lakota name right beside its English translation). It did mention the giant sculpture of him being built into the Black Hills, which up to this point I wasn't aware is an object of controversy. I already knew the Lakota regard the Black Hills/Paha Sapa as sacred -their mythical birthplace- and have continually refused federal funds offered as an apology for having stolen the land. That is part of the problem, it doesn't matter if it's one of their famed leaders, the Lakota still consider it desecration of their holy ground. The other issue is that Crazy Horse always refused to be photographed or drawn, while oral histories and archival accounts indicate Crazy Horse was introvert and melancholic. He sometimes criticized himself as useless for everything except war, yet he also refused to wear the ceremonial war bonnet he definitely earned the right to, and he refused to participate in the Lakota waktoglakapi ritual of warriors recounting their exploits. Thus, a giant monument of Crazy Horse flies in the face of who he was. Although the Polish-American family still slowly chiseling away at "his" memorial insists they had been asked by an Oglala elder (However, is one tribal elder's consent ever enough to make something on that scale in such a place legitimate? And it was the late 1940s when work began, not exactly an era considerate of Native Americans.) to carve the sculpture.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

24 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Wait is he one of those "I love dark humor *racism*" guys?

You bet. Large repertoir he has, of very witty jokes that all end in the same... let's call it "punchline" for lack of a better word. Though he does have some variety in the groups he targets. I think you can make educated guesses there.

He also keeps insisting that I admit I secretly like his humor. Apparently I'm a tsundere racist. I've had a newfound appreciation for the title of tsundere anime lover you guys have pushed onto me since.

Oh and he's the one who recommended Persona 5 to me. I think that did more damage to my perception of the game than any of your rants could ever dream to. You can thank him for that, at least.

Don't post celebratory memes just yet though, he has also endorsed Xenoblade Chronicles 3

9 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

What a charmer.

That is certainly a word one could use to describe him.

36 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Hey, I remember that! I remember it was neat. There was a fat alien and a thin alien and a gremlin one number off the devil's number.

The film takes place in Hawaii so they're American Indians not Native Americans but it was all I could think of. It is severe the lack of good Indigenous media there are that exists.

I mean I'd suggest The Emperor's New Grove or Brother Bear but I'm not too keen on recommending a movie where the main guy is an animal for the majority of their screen time and using that as an excuse to not explore the culture the movie is representing.

13 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

...BTW, I was catching up on my reading and read a very brief article on Crazy Horse/Tasunke Witko (they were nice enough to list his Lakota name right beside its English translation). It did mention the giant sculpture of him being built into the Black Hills, which up to this point I wasn't aware is an object of controversy. I already knew the Lakota regard the Black Hills/Paha Sapa as sacred -their mythical birthplace- and have continually refused federal funds offered as an apology for having stolen the land. That is part of the problem, it doesn't matter if it's one of their famed leaders, the Lakota still consider it desecration of their holy ground. The other issue is that Crazy Horse always refused to be photographed or drawn, while oral histories and archival accounts indicate Crazy Horse was introvert and melancholic. He sometimes criticized himself as useless for everything except war, yet he also refused to wear the ceremonial war bonnet he definitely earned the right to, and he refused to participate in the Lakota waktoglakapi ritual of warriors recounting their exploits. Thus, a giant monument of Crazy Horse flies in the face of who he was. Although the Polish-American family still slowly chiseling away at "his" memorial insists they had been asked by an Oglala elder (although is one tribal elder's consent ever enough to make something on that scale legitimate? -It was the late 1940s when work began, not exactly an era considerate of Native Americans.) to carve the sculpture.

Hey, that reminds of this photo

Original Founding Fathers – DWAPPEAL

Classic.

4 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

You bet. Large repertoir he has, of very witty jokes that all end in the same... let's call it "punchline" for lack of a better word. Though he does have some variety in the groups he targets. I think you can make educated guesses there.

He also keeps insisting that I admit I secretly like his humor. Apparently I'm a tsundere racist. I've had a newfound appreciation for the title of tsundere anime lover you guys have pushed onto me since.

Ah yes, my favorite brand of bigot.

"Yeah, I'm into dark humor *Is openly racist*

15 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

493648303947251713.webp?size=128&quality

1 hour ago, Sooks said:

I’m on break myself from school and uh… struggling to do that (kind of, I mean no school is no school)

Mood.

1 hour ago, Edelguardiansing said:

the Noble Savage trope

I mean, I wasn't going to watch it anyways, but that's not a good sign.

51 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

love being racist, it's so funny."

- Actual line he said two days ago

We have found the man who puts the Baka in Bakalau.

...wait, it's spelt with a 'c', the joke doesn't work...

Supports for Engage being built up through only being adjacent to other units seems pretty bad but this game still has eating with units, gift giving, and probably 50 other ways of gaining support in Somniel, so it probably won’t really make much a difference in how I go about gaining those. I guess it just spells the end of the Three Houses funny “50 supports directly after finishing one map”.

1 hour ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

stop studying

I did.

But like, all I can do is chill at home, and I wanna go places and do things

Not that I have any idea what those things are, otherwise I would hopefully be doing them

2 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Wouldn't that make them Polynesian, actually?

Yes but from a legal point of view they are American Indians who are affected by the Bureau of Indian Affairs, which isn't a lot but it's the best I could come up with.

Don't ever call them American Indians though, just call them Hawaiian.