Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

And then everyone derided that one for being badly written, so it's likely it'll never happen again because now everyone associates "female doctor" with "bad doctor." Even if that's profoundly unfair.

Ah the Sacrificial Trash issue...

5 minutes ago, 3PercentCrit said:

I just remembered what I think could possibly be the weirdest trans representation has to be Gabriel from ULTRAKILL (The character in my profile picture). Basically, the New Blood store (The publishers of ULTRAKILL) released an official body pillow of the character. The artist (Can't find who made it on the item's page) of it portrays Gabriel as a trans man in his... not-so-family-friendly art.

Huh, well I guess now I know a single transman in a vidoegame...although that is an awkward way to reveal it.

• Replies 180k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

The other day I had mentioned Celeste in front of my uncle and he had pulled me to the side to tell me that the game was a "bad influence"  because the developer "supported evil causes" and told me to refund the game. I just kind of pretended to not know what he meant and didn't do anything. A couple days later he had apparently told my grandmother about it and they confronted my mom about it. They were really reluctant to actually say what they meant but if you know much about Celeste, you'll know what they meant. Anyways, my parents were quite annoyed that they were trying to decide for me what games I could play.

Edit: I had to double check and the creator is non-binary. I couldn't remember if they were trans or non-binary so I went to check.

Edited by 3PercentCrit

6 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

yes, but it has "legit" trans characters as well

For example: Leonardo became Mona Lisa, not due to "haha genderbend" but because they legit wanted to.

Ah, I see. Well, make that ten, then.

I am putting more ephasis on the "He looks x he must be y". Putting the people in categories.

I suppose they just want what looks like X to finally be X,

and i wish it was just

this.

It turns into swear words, name calling and sluring on the same level as rightists, and using the same arguements (but on the other side), and trying to downright force their bs down people's throats.

Eh. To be honest, I can't say I've ever seen this myself, but then, perhaps I've just avoided the right places.

5 minutes ago, 3PercentCrit said:

The other day I had mentioned Celeste in front of my uncle and he had pulled me to the side to tell me that the game was a "bad influence"  because the developer "supported evil causes" and told me to refund the game. I just kind of pretended to not know what he meant and didn't do anything. A couple days later he had apparently told my grandmother about it and they confronted my mom about it. They were really reluctant to actually say what they meant but if you know much about Celeste, you'll know what they meant. Anyways, my parents were quite annoyed that they were trying to decide for me what games I could play.

Jikes... that's absolutely terrible. My sympathies.

This reminds me, my brother bought Celeste on this last Steam sale.

For all we comment about the game, that particular topic hasn't been brought up yet, so I can't tell you what he thinks about it. So all I can say... damn, looks fun but I don't think I'd be cut for the platforming. I'd rack up even more deaths than he does... XD

7 minutes ago, 3PercentCrit said:

Edit: I had to double check and the creator is non-binary. I couldn't remember if they were trans or non-binary so I went to check.

That sounds really awkward, but a frustratingly common hazard, as everyone seems to have that one really bigoted uncle. Also kinda funny given the games greatest influence is in pushing people towards speed running, with the trans themes being really subtle, unless you know what you are looking for to begin with as @Armagon kinda pointed out.

4 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

For all we comment about the game, that particular topic hasn't been brought up yet, so I can't tell you what he thinks about it. So all I can say... damn, looks fun but I don't think I'd be cut for the platforming. I'd rack up even more deaths than he does... XD

It's pretty fun, but I need a new keyboard because my keyboard is more of a work keyboard than a gaming keyboard and for some reason won't let me dash diagonally.

Edited by 3PercentCrit

6 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

suppose they just want what looks like X to finally be X

Or what they assume is X they want to be X, more like.

Heck, more than assumption, they want it to be x no matter what (even if it's nothing close to x).

7 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

perhaps I've just avoided the right places

Better that way.

3 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Don't worry about the deaths so much, the game makes sure you get back into the action almost immediately, and barring the final level you usually don't lose much progress.

Or what they assume is X they want to be X, more like.

Heck, more than assumption, they want it to be x no matter what (even if it's nothing close to x).

You know, I actually meant to elaborate or delete that part. But then I forgot. Nice.

Anyway, my point is, it's never X. No matter how it looks. It could look a lot like X or not at all, but 9 times out of 10 it turns out to be Y or Z or whatever, always cis, oftentimes intended as a joke. So I think it's understandable that at some point people start latching on to what looks like it may reasonably end up being X and pray for the best.

But at this point we're just going in circles.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

2 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Don't worry about the deaths so much, the game makes sure you get back into the action almost immediately, and barring the final level you usually don't lose much progress.

Oh, I know. I just, look at my brother plays through and I'm like, doubting a little myself if I can't end up stuck passing certain parts, heh.

13 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

it's never X.

We just prove you otherwise in case "x=trans", and you'll find more of any Xs. Maybe not as common, but it's there.

So never is wrong.

So I think it's understandable that at some point people start latching on to what looks like it may reasonably end up being X and pray for the best.

Would be understandable if they don't go on a warpath because it doesn't turn out to be the case.

Infact, representation exists, but they outright reject it and go for "this character should've been x instead" in a super toxic manner.

Edited by Shrimpy -Limited Edition-

3 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

We just prove you otherwise in case "x=trans", and you'll find more of any Xs. Maybe not as common, but it's there.

So never is wrong.

That's a bit of a nitpick. You're arguing semantics. I said "never" because never is shorter than "almost never but still really rare." Of course I know it's not never, I've literally acknowledged the characters shared. It's just that, as I said earlier, they may look like a lot put together in a thread like this, but ten characters is very little in the grand scheme of things.

Not to mention I then went on to say:

9 times out of 10

And you just didn't quote that part lol

Would be understandable if they don't go on a warpath because it doesn't turn out to be the case.

Infact, representation exists (and not only the bad kind), but they outright reject it and go for "this character should've been x instead" in a super toxic manner.

Well... that's possible. Again, I don't think I've seen it. But it's possible.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

4 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

but ten characters is very little in the grand scheme of things.

You are acting like they are the only 10 characters out there.

5 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Again, I don't think I've seen it. 

I wish it was the same for me

Okay, so funny to bring this up during this discussion, but

Spoiler

176.jpg177.jpg

I mean, c'mon. The devs will say he's straight, but how can you read this and not get at least some vague ship vibes?

155.jpg

Also the fact that I won't be able to take this into combat is a travesty. King Vandad! Why no combat outfits, IntSys? Why must you be so goddamned bullheaded sometimes?

Just now, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

You are acting like they are the only 10 characters out there.

Well, yeah. There might be more. These are just the only ten I know at the current point in time. Heck, if anything I'm generous to count them all, seeing how Ping even admitted that they backpedalled with Naoto. But hey, if you have a hundred more of these characters, by all means, let me know of them! I don't want to be right on this lol

12 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:
Spoiler

I mean, c'mon. The devs will say he's straight, but how can you read this and not get at least some vague ship vibes?

Spoiler

By going to the gym and seeing that people do that, kinda.

Or everyone there is gay, maybe, i don't know lol

Why no combat outfits, IntSys?

betting on patch

1 minute ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Hide contents

By going to the gym and seeing that people do that, kinda.

Or everyone there is gay, maybe, i don't know lol

Spoiler

Yes

1 minute ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

betting on patch

That's no good, though, how long could a patch take? Months? Weeks? Days? I want it now dammit.

7 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

It's the final countdown

(Trumpet)

Anyways I'm excited for Engage. I haven't actually played FE in a while now and it'll probably be just what I need to get the motivation to finally continue FE4

Edited by 3PercentCrit

3 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

I hate to say it, but the way she is portrayed makes it clear that the creators of Persona believe being trans is a childish fantasy that Naoto doesn't actually follow through with...In the American translation at least, not as sure about the Japanese version as the creators were explicit about the fact that they "made things more subtle" for what they viewed as a more bigoted western audience.

It's an (even) older example, but I've seen FF7's Let's Crossdress Cloud section cited as an example that trans people aren't (or at least weren't, at the time) really seen as, well, just trans people in Japan. The entire joke in FF7 is basically that everybody assumes, because he wants to dress as a girl, that Cloud is gay, up to sending him to the appropriate section in the brothel when he's trying to nick some girly accessory. So basically, transgenderism is/was just perceived as a specific expression of homosexuality.

But of course, FF7 is fucking 25 years old at this point, so it's not like it's an accurate representation of how Japan ticks today.

You know, I just remembered.

Weeks/months ago I was conversing with someone over FE matters. At one point we joked about Byleth/Sothis forcing Edelgard and Rhea into, I kid you not, a ring/bracelet/necklace with the intention of "you two better work out your differences in there or so help me!" And perhaps even Byleth gets stuck too with them, forced to play mediator.

And now looking that CDE come in the same Emblem Bracelet for Engage and it's like... XD

Edited by Acacia Sgt