Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

Archsage told us to fuck off lmao.

5 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Although, how exactly the emulator going to handle the stuff where you go into houses and caves? Whereas that shows up on the screen in single player, in multiplayer b/c not everyone might be heading into the "small areas" together, that got transferred to the individual GBA screens.

That's a good question and the answer is that we might all have to get GBAs.

Well one of my friend's a collector, perhaps he can do something about it.

TFW the multiplayer game is gatekept by an entire different system.

• Replies 179.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

5 hours ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Yeah. Like, one of the reasons Swordmasters and Berserkers are so bad this time around is that they literally have no niche with their inherit bonuses gone. Like sure, they were never the best classes, but you could've some fun with them with their extra avo/crit/etc. Here i see no reason to chose them this time around. Not even for fun/memey reasons

gsdx-20230222152156.png

Nice abbreviation. Lovely colors too.

gsdx-20230222152549.png

This is funnier a decade-and-a-half after release.

One of the better sidequest chains. Overall, they can't compare with eXCXellence, they don't flesh out the world enough for that IMO. Yet the quality overall is passable, which is rather important b/c they're the meat of the game. And thankfully, AI3 relegated "slay X-# of monsters" and "Deliver Y# of Z-Item" quests to the ones that aren't necessary to advance the story, not a single green/mandatory quest has been tedious.

Unfortunately, after I finished after this charming sidequest, the next one I handed in ended with a "male protagonist unfairly gets accused of being a perv" scene. I hate those, leave poor Edge alone. I know he's pure b/c I had finished a quest the other day which outright said he had to be either single-minded, or innocent, or both.

That soured my mood, but I wasn't planning on continuing the play session anyhow. One more quest would guild rank me up again, which would trigger the start of the next story chapter. The final orb will be obtained and the seal on the magic book will be broken. The book that the heroes think once opened, shall grant them whatever wish they desire. Because of course that's what the ancients laboriously trapped behind elaborate magic seals that endure for millennia, wishes!

I think I'll hold off on that until tomorrow morning.

18 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

none of Garon's charm

No beard, no charm. Coincidence?!

16 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

I do think the cute-hulu names you are using are great.

I try. :lol: I'm generally not that creative with names (see user name for further details), so it's nice that I found a naming theme that works. The only thing missing is a couple more fossil Pokemon...

1mTsYCG.jpg - fRoJuhO.jpg

Well, that's a better start to the grind than I expected... Still not really a fan of the Pokeathlon, but the things we do for a Leaf Stone...

Been rereading Kane Chronicles, halfway through the second book rn. Like Percy Jackson, this is Riordan writing for a younger audience. There's good stuff but both Percy Jackson and Kane Chronicles are written in that first person PoV where it's being framed as directly talking to the audience ("if you're reading this, you're already in danger" etc).

Meanwhile Heroes of Olympus completely ditches this sort of style, instead choosing to cycle through protags (Kane Chronicles does this too tbf) in a much more grounded sort of way. You compare and it's very noticeable that Heroes of Olympus is intended for an older audience.

8 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Yet the quality overall is passable, which is rather important b/c they're the meat of the game. And thankfully, AI3 relegated "slay X-# of monsters

Atelier games are usually like this, with character events taking up a big chunk of the game. However, doing them doesn't usually count to overall progression. What you're describing sounds like what Shallie, Sophie and Lydie & Suelle did, which involves doing various tasks (take your pick) to unlock the next part of the plot.

Okay no but the Triangle Strategy brainworm is real. What the hell is happening, I'm thinking more about it than Octopath 2! It's kind of strange, actually. I remember the game quite well - I mean I really liked it, I can clearly picture moments and characters that left a decent impression - but it feels so far away. So many good games last year, so many changes in my life, it feels like committing crimes with Daddy Benny happened eons ago lol. I really want to go through it again and commit some more war crimes.

I think it's the minimum ranks run. I'm not even halfway through and already I am begging dear Raze for a SRPG that doesn't take a potato masher to my fun spheres every map

1 minute ago, ping said:

No beard, no charm. Coincidence?!

Hah! Hardly.

Just now, Armagon said:

Atelier games are usually like this, with character events taking up a big chunk of the game. However, doing them doesn't usually count to overall progression. What you're describing sounds like what Shallie, Sophie and Lydie & Suelle did, which involves doing various tasks (take your pick) to unlock the next part of the plot

Atelier Iris 3 consists entirely of:

• Complete Quests that provide Raider Rank points.
  • When Raider Rank is increased, the next chapter begins and the next story Mission is received. Quests are disabled during this time.
    • Story Missions are very short and simple, return to the same dungeons you've been exploring, and trigger the cutscenes and boss fight in the designated room.
  • Go back to doing Quests and repeat this cycle.

Green quests provide rank points and always have some NPC interactions within them. Blue (item fetch quests) and red (kill A quantity of B monster; or kill C optional boss monster) don't provide rank points and are usually purely transactional, but they do sometimes trigger dialogue moments with the NPC who assigned the busywork.

I hopped online for a moment b/c I was curious about one optional boss that overwhelmed me for once (this game is pretty easy), and I saw that I need to complete every green quest there is b/c otherwise I'd be getting the bad ending. Shouldn't take very long, and I would've likely done them all had I not known anyhow, so it doesn't bother me.

5 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

and I saw that I need to complete every green quest there is b/c otherwise I'd be getting the bad ending

That's a thing? Usually the bad endings in Atelier are "you failed the time limit", so these stopped being a thing once the games stopped having them. Iris 3 doesn't have a time limit for the game overall so to learn there's a potential bad ending is interesting.

8 hours ago, Armagon said:

RDT_20230222_0835292478995823359336350.j

@Sooks @Saint Rubenio I tricked ya, you've been playing a Xenoblade game all along.

…I’ve only played 3 of the 8 opening chapters but Hikari’s was easily the worst of them. You’ve failed Armagon, you should’ve told me Castti was a Xenoblade character.

Good music tho.

38 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Okay no but the Triangle Strategy brainworm is real. What the hell is happening, I'm thinking more about it than Octopath 2! It's kind of strange, actually. I remember the game quite well - I mean I really liked it, I can clearly picture moments and characters that left a decent impression - but it feels so far away. So many good games last year, so many changes in my life, it feels like committing crimes with Daddy Benny happened eons ago lol. I really want to go through it again and commit some more war crimes.

I think it's the minimum ranks run. I'm not even halfway through and already I am begging dear Raze for a SRPG that doesn't take a potato masher to my fun spheres every map

What are you gonna do? When I get a game brainworm I like, have to play it, so if I were you I would literally push Octopath back, at least for the time being. Idk if you’re the same way tho.

As far as myself and Triangle Strategy… I barely remember it, at least gameplay wise. I remember making a lot of the choices but gameplay moments aren’t really sticking out to me. I do intend to another play through at some point tho.

Although I do feel like digging up that good theme…

Edited by Sooks

Ah, it's a shame Lindwurm's Lck cap is so low...

I mean, Ivy can still reach a decent 91% trigger chance, but it requires having Emblem Byleth and inheriting Lck +12.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Meanwhile Heroes of Olympus completely ditches this sort of style, instead choosing to cycle through protags (Kane Chronicles does this too tbf) in a much more grounded sort of way. You compare and it's very noticeable that Heroes of Olympus is intended for an older audience.

The later two mythology series go back to first-person narrators, so I imagine HoO used third-person because it would be jarring to shift between so many characters in first-person. Or it was just easier to write.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

It's the strats

I think the only non-DLC Emblem skills you can't inherit are Cleric, Dragon Vein, Night and Day, and Dual Strike. Speaking of which, you can only inherit Lunar Brace, but it will change to Solar Brace when Eirika's user switches to Ephraim. It would make more sense if Lunar Brace and Solar Brace were inheritable separately, but whatever.

I haven't actually inherited any skills yet, because some of them are expensive and I'm paranoid that that I'll need the SP for something else later. Chloé has enough speed that giving her Lyn is overkill, so maybe I'll give her Alacrity...

18 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

The later two mythology series go back to first-person narrators, so I imagine HoO used third-person because it would be jarring to shift between so many characters in first-person. Or it was just easier to write.

I haven't read Magnus Chase or Trials of Apollo yet but at least the way the first two are written, it's not just the pov, it's also because of the "hey kid, I'm gonna tell you this because you might be one of us" sort of way the story is told. Which does wonders for a kid with vivid imaginations.

Or maybe that's simply Riordan's style and he recognized it wouldn't work for the more ambitious Heroes of Olympus.