Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

1 minute ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Look at Fates: Conquest

Give enemies dangerous skills, weapons and loadouts instead.

...oh I just realized the thought of Engage endgame in Maddening. 

Godspeed.

• Replies 179.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

gsdx-20230226144227.png

This is what you call an "M-R-S Degree".

Beastpeople are far less numerous than humans, that's apparently the source of her desire. Shall I introduce her to Yarne?

gsdx-20230226163956.pnggsdx-20230226164006.png

Obligatory.

gsdx-20230226185558.png

Interesting design.

Lover of whom? Answer:

gsdx-20230226190145.png

She has a last name now- Ibis. Our Lady of the Afterlife has been around for decades at least, she knew the current principal when he was a student.

One character during the above conversation said six months have passed since they arrived at the academy, so the gameplay calendar does not appear to precisely reflect how much time has actually passed in the story. Which is fine, since, judging from the fact there are areas off-campus that I can't visit b/c freshmen can't go there, the story will span three years.

And...

gsdx-20230226190337.png

As the opening indicated, Pamela is playable for once. She has the lowest HP of the heroes, but comes with a passive skill that resurrects her every few turns, with full SP.

Now that I have five playable characters (Flay joined immediately afterwards) -when three remains the active team size- I can delegate non-Vayne characters to gathering resources, synthesizing, or earning AP instead of tagging along and fighting. What resource is gathered is at what location and the difficulty (success rate I take it) varies based on character; and the time it takes to synthesize and the difficulty varies per item for each character. Not sure why I can delegate stuff when I can head out into the field infinitely every week.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

So while it isn't a dealbreaker (I do like Cold Steel after all), seeing Atelier do the Persona thing of "you need to expend a limited resource to to see character events" hurts. Part of what makes Atelier Atelier is just the sheer amount of character events. In the games with timelimits, it was possible to see all of them in a single run if you know how (mandatory too if you want Totori's true end). Ever since the games ditched time limits, seeing all the events has become even easier.

-Wasn't the case for the Iris Trilogy, I can tell you that much.😆

It's too early to say if I get enough Free Time for everyone. Since the two chapters with Free Time give you two units each and only Jess and Nikki are around to spend it with. (Pamela is admittedly quite charming in her various incarnations, so if limited I'll spend some of it on her.)

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

At the very least tho, Mana Khemia does not seem to have Persona calendar (functionally, I know it has a calendar) nor does it seem to have anything equivalent to personality stats, which was one of the biggest chores you had to do to see a lot of character stuff in Persona 5. So it's better on that front lol.

So far, the calendar seems... short-term focused, without intensive micromanagement.

Mana Khemia still operates in chapters, with each chapter comprised of weeks, not individual days. Considering each week has unlimited time for gathering, synthesizing, and combat, it does not appear that you need to be overly concerned with what actions you take. Completing/failing an Assignment is what passes a week, and it's too soon to say how tedious they are. And the "deadlines" the story gives appear to be solely a narrative hook, you can't actually fail them. I don't think MK1 has the time-limited Atelier structure that you're used to.

Gotta say tho

Boss design in Engage is some straight peak gaming shit

Wth

I wonder honestly if they will ever be able to top this

Like the AI just pulled a triple chain guard on me lmao

All i could do is look and think "well played" lmao and trying to figure it out

I did figure it out eventually, but had a O: moment lol

Edited by Shrimpy -Limited Edition-

3 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

You could take a moment to tell everyone to use Esteban.

Incidentally, use Esteban everyone.

So true.

I'm glad he's working out for you, though!

2 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

m not sure if Ike would tell anyone to pray for... reasons.

I know it doesn't work, but I needed to say something...

57 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

gsdx-20230226144227.png

Ah, polyamory.

58 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Ibis

Interesting. I've known that's her last name but is Mana Khemia the first time it's stated?

58 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

gsdx-20230226190337.png

And assuming it carries over into the second game, Mana Khemia marks the only time Pamela has been playable.

59 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Mana Khemia still operates in chapters, with each chapter comprised of weeks, not individual days. Considering each week has unlimited time for gathering, synthesizing, and combat, it does not appear that you need to be overly concerned with what actions you take. Completing/failing an Assignment is what passes a week, and it's too soon to say how tedious they are. And the "deadlines" the story gives appear to be solely a narrative hook, you can't actually fail them. I don't think MK1 has the time-limited Atelier structure that you're used to.

Intriguing. Salburg, at least the first two, had time-limits. Gramnad, well Atelier Judie did not have a time-limit but it's sequel Atelier Viorate did. Iris lacks time-limits as you have known and this first Mana Khemia game has a time-limit that is more narrative than mechanical. The second game may also do this? Idk. But if things remain the same then it's an interesting period. From Viorate to Mana Khemia 2, Atelier lacked proper time-limits only bringing them back with the first modern game in the series: Rorona. Time-limits would remain in place until Escha & Logy.

So of the 25 Atelier games, 9 have had time-limits. 15* have not. And this is with an asterisk because

• Firis' time-limit only matters in the first half of the game
  • Lydie & Suelle have a time-limit for one chapter
  • Marie Remake has a time-limit only if you want it to

I have seen some older Atelier fans lament the lack of time-limits in the newer games, which is very interesting when the games that don't have them outnumber the ones you do. To be fair though, Lilie and all of Gramnad is essentially uncharted territory for anybody who doesn't know Japanese. And Iris is considered to be an outlier in the series because of, you know.

....nah but for real, i remember looking up pre-release reactions to Atelier Lulua, since at the time it was unprecedented. Mostly positive but i saw a few people who were genuinely mad that they would "do this to an Arland title", referring to the lack of a time-limit.

1 hour ago, Armchair General said:

In which game?

Generally speaking.

1 hour ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Look at Fates: Conquest

Give enemies dangerous skills, weapons and loadouts instead.

Perhaps this would work in Fates, but what about other games?

Throné’s chapter 1 is pretty cool. The ending plot twist was really obvious, and then it wasn’t (I mean the new one wasn’t shocking or anything, since it still led to ultimately what I predicted would happen, but in a slightly more creative way). The one thing I liked the most about it, tho, is that

Spoiler

Throné isn’t sure what she wants until the end. I was expecting the game to open with a dramatic monologue about how all she’s ever wanted is freedom, but nope. It’s a dramatic monologue about the stench of blood, which is something she’s had to deal with forever, and it actually opens to some action (the only other chapter to do that is Hikari and…). The only real thoughts she gives are little things like “strench of blood bad” and “father and mother strong”, which fits because she’s just been following orders her whole life. She gets asked point-blank what she wants and has no idea. Then that night she ends up with a pretty good chance for freedom handed to her, at which point she’s finally realized what she wants. That’s cool, I was honestly expecting just a slightly altered Primrose chapter 1 (which I wouldn’t have complained about), but we get this instead.

The only real problem with this is the person who asks her what she wants is the “twist” boss, and this scene makes it painfully obvious. What isn’t obvious is that it was all a set-up, but he still tries to kill her in the end and you fight him, so meh.

It’s pretty convenient that both the leaders of the Black Snakes just leave at the same time, and they have no sort of other leadership to watch over things. Throné can just casually stroll out of town because no one stops her lol, and yet all these people are “tools” or “captive” or whatever. Why haven’t more people done this? If it’s because of the collar well, that’s a liiiittle contrived. If life is truly so awful and torturous, I don’t think they would stay just because of a little neckpiece when they could just dip. And speaking of contrivances, does Throné really have to kill mother and father to get rid of the collar? She’s completely free to do whatever she wants and we have several axe wielding party members, can’t she just pull it out and someone give it a well-aimed twack?

Eh, it’s probably not that loose and probably not made of a material that’s that easy to break, but this is a universe with magic and she can go wherever she wants, does she really have to get those keys? Hell, instead of going on a journey to kill mom and dad, can’t she just go on a journey to find a master locksmith?

On 2/25/2023 at 12:28 PM, Saint Rubenio said:

Reveal hidden contents

when the skillsets seemed to spell out the traitor.

Spoiler

What was special about his skill set? I didn’t pay attention to it.

Edited by Sooks

40 minutes ago, Lightcosmo said:

Its so strange saying goodbye to Ash and Team Rocket in the anime after 25 years. 

Like, how are they gonna replace Pikachu, too?

With another Pikachu. It is what it is.

Gw5dvMJ.png

To unite all peoples within our nation...

tmeWuxc.png

So usually when I name Pokemon I try and think of something that is related to what the Pokemon can do or how it's already named, so when naming the hypnotizing Pokemon, I ask myself "What is something that's Hypnotizing?"

gShpJk6.png

...You guys saw this joke coming, right?

M'Kay, good.

OLo8G0K.png

This is my current team, the reverse Soviet flag I like to call it.

1odQ6mx.png

Oh I can't wait to see how he rates the name "LadyKnight"

pYOjaBu.png

Now you may be thinking I was going to make a reference to the infamous creepypastas relating to this town, however a more pressing matter has come to mind.

U74YWYi.png

If this is Lavender Town then where the fuck is the lavender.

FykG5S3.pngpP1Y5Dq.png

Collectively, the entire population of them, even the ones not in Kanto.

18 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

What the absolute fuck is up with this stretch of the game?

Unhinged Pokemon is unhinged.

On 2/25/2023 at 10:16 PM, Acacia Sgt said:

But like, seriously...

SS05h.png?resize=300,240

Other than for identification, I suppose, why would they even need the armor!?

That's so dumb I love it.

On 2/25/2023 at 10:05 PM, Eltosian Kadath said:

Generation one was back before they had euphemism for the real world places, and would reference real world events. For instance Kanto is also the name of a real region in Japan (both maps roughly look similar), they talk about exploring South America in game, and reference Silph Co. having a site in Tiksi Russia, and the Pewter City Museum talk about the real world moon landing, and random Pokedex entries will reference real world areas like China and animals like Indian Elephants. This remake is rather faithful to that.

Oh, interesting.

Wonder how the Lets Go games do it.

Edited by Edelguardiansing

2 minutes ago, Edelguardiansing said:

... no? What are you referencing?

Just now you're asking where is the color in the region that names its cities after colors?

That's so dumb I love it.

It's even funnier since a different shot had an Aggron in armor. As in, the Pokémon who already has plated steel for hide. Like... what is even the armor suppose to do at that point?

Oh, interesting.

Wonder how the Lets Go games do it.

I think they actually took most of them out.

Surge is now Lightning Lieutenant, not Lightning American.

Just wrote a paper on Kino in Boots: The Last Wish. I love it when the professor says "pick a film" for the weekly writing assignment, cause i get to do it on an actually good movie and not the boring one we watched on Monday (Halloween 1978).

26 minutes ago, Edelguardiansing said:

gShpJk6.png

"Kaga" would've been better because that Drowzee's male.

18 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I think they actually took most of them out.

Surge is now Lightning Lieutenant, not Lightning American.

1a8f76fb2aaa8624c02498173ba7c0a3e31fc08f

Edited by Armagon

Ah turns out this is final map.. and also i forgot to bring fortify despite crafting it for this kind of endgame map. Oh well

I get the feeling ruben been unintentionally spoiling about how the whole campaign will turn out when i was just starting, but i wish i was not that observant/keen enough in connecting the dots.

Edited by joevar

3 hours ago, Lightcosmo said:

Generally speaking.

Perhaps this would work in Fates, but what about other games?

Probably tweak the internal equations so that both sides will be missing each other around 10-25% more often... But this also leaves axe-users in the dust.

Maybe it would be harder if they stopped using homogenous groups of enemies? Like, if you have an General or something that is essentially invincible and the next squad in front of you is around 3 or 4 mortal Savants armed mostly with regular swords; that answer should be kind of obvious. At least with Engage, they do throw in an random Qi Adept for an free save...And then they both die in like, 2 or three turns. Other than that, it's largely an human wave of whatever suits the level's theme.

8 hours ago, Edelguardiansing said:

Edelgard

I can't believe you would say such a controversial thing.

8 hours ago, Sooks said:

Holy fucking shit Octopath 2.

That’s the first time I ever beat up an NPC in either of these games out of pure spite. And reloaded a save just so I could take back some of the money I gave them.

This is why you mug everyone.

5 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

gsdx-20230226185558.png

Interesting design.

Love robot? Very Japan.

5 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Lover of whom? Answer:

gsdx-20230226190145.png

She has a last name now- Ibis

Oh God kill it with fire

5 hours ago, Benice said:

So true.

I'm glad he's working out for you, though!

So am I!

4 hours ago, Sooks said:

Throné’s chapter 1 is pretty cool. The ending plot twist was really obvious, and then it wasn’t (I mean the new one wasn’t shocking or anything, since it still led to ultimately what I predicted would happen, but in a slightly more creative way). The one thing I liked the most about it, tho, is that

Hide contents

Throné isn’t sure what she wants until the end. I was expecting the game to open with a dramatic monologue about how all she’s ever wanted is freedom, but nope. It’s a dramatic monologue about the stench of blood, which is something she’s had to deal with forever, and it actually opens to some action (the only other chapter to do that is Hikari and…). The only real thoughts she gives are little things like “strench of blood bad” and “father and mother strong”, which fits because she’s just been following orders her whole life. She gets asked point-blank what she wants and has no idea. Then that night she ends up with a pretty good chance for freedom handed to her, at which point she’s finally realized what she wants. That’s cool, I was honestly expecting just a slightly altered Primrose chapter 1 (which I wouldn’t have complained about), but we get this instead.

The only real problem with this is the person who asks her what she wants is the “twist” boss, and this scene makes it painfully obvious. What isn’t obvious is that it was all a set-up, but he still tries to kill her in the end and you fight him, so meh.

It’s pretty convenient that both the leaders of the Black Snakes just leave at the same time, and they have no sort of other leadership to watch over things. Throné can just casually stroll out of town because no one stops her lol, and yet all these people are “tools” or “captive” or whatever. Why haven’t more people done this? If it’s because of the collar well, that’s a liiiittle contrived. If life is truly so awful and torturous, I don’t think they would stay just because of a little neckpiece when they could just dip. And speaking of contrivances, does Throné really have to kill mother and father to get rid of the collar? She’s completely free to do whatever she wants and we have several axe wielding party members, can’t she just pull it out and someone give it a well-aimed twack?

Eh, it’s probably not that loose and probably not made of a material that’s that easy to break, but this is a universe with magic and she can go wherever she wants, does she really have to get those keys? Hell, instead of going on a journey to kill mom and dad, can’t she just go on a journey to find a master locksmith?

Spoiler

Yeah, I was expecting Primrose 2 from both her and Osvald and then it turned out to be neither... Perhaps.

Unless proven otherwise, I think the collar is just a symbolic thing. She needs to kill Mother and Father because if she doesn't, they'll come after her. To earn her freedom, the Blacksnakes have to disappear.

4 hours ago, Sooks said:
  Hide contents

What was special about his skill set? I didn’t pay attention to it.

Spoiler

Sccarachi's skillset includes forcing another character to take damage for him lol, it just screams "traitor." Pretty sure his other skill does too, but I forget what it was. Of course, that turned out to be a trap.

2 hours ago, Edelguardiansing said:

So usually when I name Pokemon I try and think of something that is related to what the Pokemon can do or how it's already named, so when naming the hypnotizing Pokemon, I ask myself "What is something that's Hypnotizing?"

gShpJk6.png

Hah!

1 hour ago, joevar said:

Ah turns out this is final map.. and also i forgot to bring fortify despite crafting it for this kind of endgame map. Oh well

Best of luck finishing!

1 hour ago, joevar said:

I get the feeling ruben been unintentionally spoiling about how the whole campaign will turn out when i was just starting, but i wish i was not that observant/keen enough in connecting the dots.

Oh...? Whoops. If I did, it was very much not intentional. If I may ask, what was it I said that clued you in?

tmeWuxc.png

gShpJk6.png

...oh boy. Just wait til you finish the Sevii Islands.

1 hour ago, Edelguardiansing said:

1odQ6mx.png

Oh I can't wait to see how he rates the name "LadyKnight"

Fun fact, the Name Rater is the NPC they have to let you change your pokemon's nicknames. If the nickname is from a trade they will praise it to the moon, and not let you change it, if it is one You gave them, they will waffle about it being decent, and ask if you want to give it a better nickname...

U74YWYi.png

The lighter shade of purple on the roofs there look fairly close to Lavender, unless you meant the flower. Time for another little fun fact here, in the international version of Pokemon Yellow they had a Gameboy Color enhancement where the Gameboy's palette would change based on the color of the town.

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Best of luck finishing!

Oh...? Whoops. If I did, it was very much not intentional. If I may ask, what was it I said that clued you in?

Alright. I might finish it tonight. Being the final i can forgive any BS reinforcement, unfair weapon etc. This get the n-word pass.

---------

Forgot the line, but the meaning is easy to remember: Something along the lines of Reese's fight is just mostly about defending the rear,  solving the people problem, and being country bumpkin. While the glory of fighting  the bloody frontline is left to someone else, out of Reese reach.

So when the fighting culminate in capturing the (temporary) capital & the actual capital by someone else, while the war been turned upside down... i just know im already at the climax.

6 hours ago, Armchair General said:

Probably tweak the internal equations so that both sides will be missing each other around 10-25% more often... But this also leaves axe-users in the dust.

Maybe it would be harder if they stopped using homogenous groups of enemies? Like, if you have an General or something that is essentially invincible and the next squad in front of you is around 3 or 4 mortal Savants armed mostly with regular swords; that answer should be kind of obvious. At least with Engage, they do throw in an random Qi Adept for an free save...And then they both die in like, 2 or three turns. Other than that, it's largely an human wave of whatever suits the level's theme.

So are you saying they should basically make their mobs "puzzles"? Rather than just having them placed randomly on the map?

1 hour ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

I see no other reason why it wouldn't work in other games. 

Well, "deadly skills" in RD for example means Luna, Deadeye, Colossus, etc and it dont think that would make it "difficult", just a reset fest most of the time. Xd

4 minutes ago, Lightcosmo said:

So are you saying they should basically make their mobs "puzzles"?

Yes, just like Conquest, or Engage and it's bosses

4 minutes ago, Lightcosmo said:

Well, "deadly skills" in RD for example means Luna, Deadeye, Colossus, etc and it dont think that would make it "difficult", just a reset fest most of the time. Xd

That's the problem with RD's proc skills and not the concept of skills