Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

Just now, Shrimperor said:

Here i disagree

FE4 has to be one of the most imbalanced games ever. Nothing IS did  comes even close to that

Radiant Dawn is pretty damn close, and 3H is also a balance hellhole. As mentioned, Fe8 has no sense of balance either.

• Replies 176.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

2 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

1. Not many do a next run. I am definetly not one of them
  2. If player misses something it shouldn't be due to bullshit surprises
  3. Some of these surprises can legit soft lock you out of finishing the game

That's more on you, not the game. Most games aren't exactly designed with the intent people will only ever play them once.

That's subjective if it was BS or not. After all, some people would rather blame the game than accept their own fault anyway.

Like I said, first learn so you can be more prepared. You don't learn to walk without stumbling and falling the first few times, after all.

2 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

That's more on you, not the game. Most games aren't exactly designed with the intent people will only ever play them once.

Because everyone has the time to play 50+ Hours game more than once. Sure

2 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

That's subjective if it was BS or not. After all, some people would rather blame the game than accept their own fault anyway.

Like I said, first learn so you can be more prepared. You don't learn to walk without stumbling and falling the first few times, after all.

Yeah yeah, the classic ''should've seen the surprise no one saw coming come''

If you enjoy that, more power to you. 

I don't enjoy the ''hide stuff from player'' type of difficulty, and usually is enough for me to drop a game

Edited by Shrimperor

Just now, DragonFlames said:

did someone else kick the bucket?

This. Didn't notice an Archer having Double shoot ability (basically Brave Combat Art) which proceeded to snipe my mage.

Check your skills, people XD

11 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

I honestly dont mind stuff like RNG based weapon breaks. And unit balance... well... int sys doesnt do much better in that area.

Actually, I'd go one step further and say that Berwick's cast is better balanced than any of the FEs I've played. Sure, some units are better than others (that's more or less impossible to avoid), but there's a grand total of two that I'd call outright bad. One's an obvious joke unit with story justification for why he's so bad (not to mention he has some legitimate utility on a handful of maps), and the other is more of a challenge unit that rewards you greatly if you use her. Neither of them are on the level of shitters like Wendy or Sophia.

Meanwhile, the best units in the game all have serious drawbacks that keep them from being Seths. Mostly in the form of costly hiring fees, difficult permanent recruitment conditions or availability issues. I think the best example is the jeigan, Ward. He joins in chapter 1 turn 1 and is endgame ready from the get-go, but due to the way combat works and the fact that he can't be deployed in sidequests, he does not break the game in half like someone such as Seth.

That being said...

8 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

FE4 has to be one of the most imbalanced games ever. Nothing post kaga IS did comes even close to that

I have to agree that Berwick was the exception, not the norm. Kaga isn't great at unit balance.

3 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

...rip good level up

It will be remembered fondly.

1 minute ago, Shrimperor said:

I don't enjoy the ''hide stuff from player'' type of difficulty, and usually is enough for me to drop a game

Uh...

...Okay, don't take this the wrong way, but... How is Three Houses your favorite FE, then? From my experience, the only difficulty from that game stemed from bullshit moments that were only there to make you waste divine pulse charges. To say nothing of chapter 13 in maddening difficulty. RNG-screwed Claude, dead Hilda and mage Ignatz were enough to softlock me the one time I tried it out.

This. Didn't notice an Archer having Double shoot ability (basically Brave Combat Art) which proceeded to snipe my mage.

Oof, that's rough.
RIP

Check your skills, people XD

Lessons for FE life. XD

Edited by DragonFlames

Alright so I've cleared Ch.3 in Xenoblade X. The tutorial is essentially over which means I have complete freedom in exploration (for the most part).

I think I'm gonna test my luck and see if I can make it to Cauldros without dying.

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

To say nothing of chapter 13 in maddening difficulty. RNG-screwed Claude, dead Hilda and mage Ignatz were enough to softlock me the one time I tried it out.

Ok tbf, Lunatic difficulty in FE has always been bullshit. 

8 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Because everyone has the time to play 50+ Hours game more than once. Sure

Yeah yeah, the classic ''should've seen the surprise no one saw coming come''

If you enjoy that, more power to you. 

I've played long games like some of the console SRW's more than once. And I can do it again, no matter how long it takes me. Yes, we can do it. It's alright if some choose not to, but to say they can't is just outright wrong for many cases.

See, that's the thing. Some are telegraphed or the game gives you the means to find out. But sometimes people just don't bother to investigate the in-game clues. So when they do have the thing spring up to them, they'd rather complain the game is pulling BS on them than accept it was their own fault for not bothering to search the in-game clues. Some other surprises are indeed meant to be a surprise, but those should only be a surprise the first time playing, since then next time you know they're there.

Mmm... now I'm thinking on FE doing dynamic enemy reinforcements. Would make it interesting.

It's alright, you do you. Just, don't mix "this was hidden from the player" with "the game gives you hints but you never bother to find them or piece them together".

It's better to get angry at the game for what it's actually doing, instead for what you only think it's doing.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Just now, Armagon said:

Alright so I've cleared Ch.3 in Xenoblade X. The tutorial is essentially over which means I have complete freedom in exploration (for the most part).

I think I'm gonna test my luck and see if I can make it to Cauldros without dying.

Good luck! ^^

5 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Actually, I'd go one step further and say that Berwick's cast is better balanced than any of the FEs I've played. Sure, some units are better than others (that's more or less impossible to avoid), but there's a grand total of two that I'd call outright bad. One's an obvious joke unit with story justification for why he's so bad (not to mention he has some legitimate utility on a handful of maps), and the other is more of a challenge unit that rewards you greatly if you use her. Neither of them are on the level of shitters like Wendy or Sophia.

I'm not saying one or the other is better or worse, rather they are all terrible, because they are. Balance is something that the devs never understand. Although for FE4, it's like that from a narrative standpoint.

They almost always have some clutch broken unit that can massive carry. 

Edited by lightcosmo

9 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

...Okay, don't take this the wrong way, but... How is Three Houses your favorite FE, then? From my experience, the only difficulty from that game stemed from bullshit moments that were only there to make you waste divine pulse charges.

Iirc that only chapter that had such surprise thingies in 3H were Ch4 and Petra paralogue (on Hard mode)

And well, Maddening mode, but that mode is BS and never doing it again in my life (Divine pulses helped, somewhat)

9 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

To say nothing of chapter 13 in maddening difficulty. RNG-screwed Claude, dead Hilda and mage Ignatz were enough to softlock me the one time I tried it out.

Yeah, i believe that. I had an amazing Claude yet the only reason i survived ch13 maddening was because i built an evasion tank Byleth and know how the map was like from hard runs on other routes.

Would've probably made me drop the game if i NG'd maddening ngl.

6 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

It's alright, you do you. Just, don't mix "this was hidden from the player" with "the game gives you hints but you have to find them or piece them together".

'Hints' yeah

Totally.

Totally i should see the enemy suddenly teleporting into my army one shotting some of my units.

Or that to get an item/event you have to stand on a certain tile.

totally 'Hints'

I am not a psychic

6 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I've played long games like some of the console SRW's more than once. And I can do it again, no matter how long it takes me. Yes, we can do it. It's alright if some choose not to, but to say they can't is just outright wrong for many cases.

You do you. It shouldn't be required for the player to play a game more than once to get an ending. Any NG+ exclusive stuff that is important is and will always be bullshit.

Edited by Shrimperor

It shouldn't be required for the player to play a game more than once to get an ending. Any NG+ exclusive stuff that is important is and will always be bullshit.

FE10 has alot of content that requires one whole playthrough to unlock stuff, though.

1 minute ago, lightcosmo said:

FE10 has alot of content that requires one whole playthrough to unlock stuff, though.

And it's bullshit

I love FE10, but this is bullshit.

I also love FE5, but it has alot of bullshit, too.

Edited by Shrimperor

6 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

irc that only chapter that had such surprise thingies in 3H were Ch4 and Petra paralogue (on Hard mode)

Chapter 4 was the one with the Fog of War, right?

Regardless, I don't remember any surprises there, honestly. I could be wrong, though.

And I can confirm: that surprise in Bernie and Petra's paralogue is there on Normal mode, too.

Edited by DragonFlames

'Hints' yeah

Totally.

Totally i should see the enemy suddenly teleporting into my army one shotting some of my units.

Or that to get an item you have to stand on a certain tile.

totally 'Hints'

I am not a psychic

Like I said. Some are meant to be surprises. I meant for the ones the game do hints you. Like I said:

7 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

It's alright, you do you. Just, don't mix "this was hidden from the player" with "the game gives you hints but you never bother to find them or piece them together".

It's better to get angry at the game for what it's actually doing, instead for what you only think it's doing.

So do it. Complain and get angry if you didn't saw that one enemy reinforcement. But if the game did dropped a hint and you simply never went through the trouble of finding that clue... then that's on you. If the game doesn't give you a hint, then yes, get angry at it.

You do you. It shouldn't be required for the player to play a game more than once to get an ending. Any NG+ exclusive stuff that is important is and will always be bullshit

If an ending requires more than one playthrough, then it stands to reason there was a different one awaiting you at the end of the first. Which means your playthrough was not a waste. After all, why design more than one ending if you don't intend for both to be seen at some point. No matter if it's "standard Ending and True ending", or "Branching endings", or some other kind of structure.

To disregard one and complain of what you have to do to get the other can come off as quite disrespectful to the people who worked on those games.

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

Ok tbf, Lunatic difficulty in FE has always been bullshit. 

Not really. FE12 handles it well, from what I've gathered. Enemy offensive stats raise, but their defenses remain mostly low. Same turn reinforcements suck, and 75% of the game's cast is kinda unusable (although I've seen someone get away with using Est), but... really, even with the flaws it has, it's nowhere near the shitfest that future lunatic modes are.

2 minutes ago, lightcosmo said:

I'm not saying one or the other is better or worse, rather they are all terrible, because they are. Balance is something that the devs never understand. Although for FE4, it's like that from a narrative standpoint.

They almost always have some clutch broken unit that can massive carry.

Ah.

Well... Fair enough, I can understand where you're coming from.

Although, again, I'd say Berwick doesn't suffer from this. Clifford is really strong, admittedly, but he can't solo maps by himself due to how combat works; and he's the most powerful unit in the game, doesn't get much better than him.

1 minute ago, Shrimperor said:

Iirc that only chapter that had such surprise thingies in 3H were Ch4 and Petra paralogue (on Hard mode)

From my Azure Moon run, there's the Battle at Gronder Field, where the middle hill explodes when you kill a random miniboss and everyone standing on it gets stuck in place for Claude to snipe 'em; There's the Acheron ambush, which admittedly wasn't all that, but I can see underlevelled Dedue dying miserably to that if he's all alone, still trying to catch up; There's Rodrigue appearing out of nowhere in the volcano map to kill himself on the enemies and cause a game over; There's this nonsense that I've never seen anyone else talk about, even though it's absolutely horrible...

Yeah, I remember plenty of moments like that. Kinda hard not to, when the rest of the game is mindlessly easy. And then there's Maddening, which suffers from the completely opposite problem: it's quite upfront about its terribly designed difficulty.

4 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Would've probably made me drop the game if i NG'd maddening ngl.

Well, it did make me drop the game. Probably forever. I've since tried out Crimson Flower on hard, but hard is so easy and boring that I ended up quitting to have more time to play a fangame. So my options are boredom or bullshit... Yeah, I don't think Three Houses is the game for me.

And it's bullshit

I love FE10, but this is bullshit.

I also love FE5, but it has alot of bullshit, too.

It's to promote playing the game more than once, I assume. I dont mind having a reason to play a game more than once, but that's my personal opinion. Sadly, they dont design the game around it, would make it alot more worth another playthrough.

10 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Iirc that only chapter that had such surprise thingies in 3H were Ch4 and Petra paralogue (oh Hard mode)

And also Ashe's paralogue. That is completely unfair, easily one of the most frustrating maps I've played.

There's also ch. 6, which teleports your units into other enemy ranges if Miklan get enemy phase'd. (And the hambush spawns.)

And also enemy ranges frequently lying-I lost Leonie in Sothis' paralogue because it clearly said that the birbs near the boss wouldn't move, and they did. And for some reason in ch. 2, it said Hubert wasn't going to attack? I think that was a glitch, though.

The poison spam in the Ingrid paralogue was really annoying

Really, the only map I've played so far that has actually been difficult and fair is Lorenz' paralogue. The game has been incredibly easy so far, BS aside.

Edited by Benice

5 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

So do it. Complain and get angry if you didn't saw that one enemy reinforcement. But if the game did dropped a hint and you simply never went through the trouble of finding that clue... then that's on you. If the game doesn't give you a hint, then yes, get angry at it.

Well, things like Lex's brave axe in FE4 are amazing.... if you decide to move lex- with his iron axe in tow, to the edge of a lake for a scenic view. I can understand getting frustrated at that. It is kinda dumb.

You can't plan for any of that, either 

Edit: Cyas appearing is something you cant plan for in FE5 either.

Edited by lightcosmo