• Replies 176.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

I'd say, Juste and Maxim does seem to be like Iga's own take of Nathan and Hugh, come to think of it...

Also, didn't commented on it as I played, but I noticed what looks to be some kind of weird bug. At some point the map had every tile directly west of a specific tile marked as having been visited. Included the ones off-map, being highlighted in red like the Save Rooms are. Upon reaching Castle B it got revealed the highlighted tiles were of that castle.

Turns out this seems to be a thing that seems to be guaranteed to happen on the Advance Collection?

Well, I guess I'll end up with more than 200% map completion then, just like in SotN, hahahaha.

And the Undefeated of the East is defeated. Went according to plan, the Devil never mapped once with some careful unit arrangement, and without Hit & Away and a willingness to snipe a Calvina on the very edge of his range, Master never moved in close.

Narratively, G Gundam here (even though I missed a battle) was of pretty minor importance. Master Asia turned out to be entirely normal this time, I wasn't thinking that after he seemingly damaged a battleship while outside of his mech and then flew away.😳 But then, A but three games earlier on the GBA gave what to me appeared to be a wholehearted showing of MFGG, so it's excusable. And G Gundam had other appearances of some significance- I'm aware Shin SRW defied the norm and made Devil Axis  (sounds like a wonderful blurring of Gundam infamies) the final boss. The sunset CG was charming. -Though I remain well aware that the third form of the DG didn't show up, hmm...🤔

Well, onto a battle that the heroes bump into unexpected, but fortuitously. It's possible that Master Asia's desire to use the DG to protect the Earth from aliens might not have worked had he succeeded. I like this wrinkle in the Gradosian technological arsenal. Gale is force-deployed here, sure he's weak, but I like this for a secret recruit, adds weight to having gotten them. The recon story bit that led to this battle also gives me a better feel for the design of the Layzner.

I feel like they should've put a turn limit on destroying the three battleships on the satellites, would've forced you to actually take them all on at once. I mean I did, not without a few mistakes. I didn't notice Dancouga was forced here and forgot to give it parts before it, I sent it with the Blue Earth (which I soon diverted to the northwest) and Zeorymer to the northeast corner, big mistake. Upgraded Supers take hits excellently and reasonably well, no upgrades... not so much. I had to perilously get it back to the Archangel. I lucked out when I smashed the last battleship, because eight of the ~ten enemies around it, badly injured with nobody left to heal the Dan', preferred Zeorymer instead, does the AI prioritize accuracy that much?

Gosterro fell unexpectedly soon (Why is he still retreating? Let the crazy die!), and now I have to deal with Shapiro when I get back to the game tomorrow. The other other three Gradosian generals are all being safely checked. Zeorymer can infinitely tank one of them, perhaps even kill it with a few Hades Attacks+Strike if I wanted to (though I should get the guy off the satellite to deny him its defensive regenerative benefits), although I already spent one use of Strike on my first very useful MAP-version Hades Attack. Calvina got pitted against the V-MAX general, and KirAthrun (People say Gundam Wing was intended for funjoshis? Kira and Athrun need a room 🏩. The constant "I don't want to kill you!" tensions were strong. Cagalli has been sis-zoned, Flay (where has she been lately?) was hate feigning love, Lacus seems like she isn't head over heels with either of them. The young ladies are a cover to hide the rainbow reality.) have the last, and could probably kill it with 2-3 Valor'ed Combination Assaults. I think it's safe to assume Shapiro is the last reinforcement here (one very strange thing about him- why does one arm of his mech twitch in the menu? No other mech moves whatsoever in any menu.), and since he isn't dodgy, I could spend the spirited hot blood on these more distant foes.

3 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Ugh, doing that pinball course again...

Agreed. First one is very easy, the second though? I delayed on doing it for most of the game my first time. What a shame it hides the Thunder Book, means you're really missing out if you don't do it.

1 hour ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I'd say, Juste and Maxim does seem to be like Iga's own take of Nathan and Hugh, come to think of it...

Ya know I never thought of it that way. Makes sense, the friendship is better done in HoD than CotM, though both are still lacking b/c Igavania is light on plot.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

35 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Narratively, G Gundam here (even though I missed a battle) was of pretty minor importance. Master Asia turned out to be entirely normal this time, I wasn't thinking that after he seemingly damaged a battleship while outside of his mech and then flew away.😳 But then, A but three games earlier on the GBA gave what to me appeared to be a wholehearted showing of MFGG, so it's excusable. And G Gundam had other appearances of some significance- I'm aware Shin SRW defied the norm and made Devil Axis  (sounds like a wonderful blurring of Gundam infamies) the final boss. The sunset CG was charming. -Though I remain well aware that the third form of the DG didn't show up, hmm...🤔

Devil Axis was 64, not Shin. It was the true final boss in Shin, you got that right. In there what it took over was the La Vie en Rose ship, from UC Gundam. And the pilot was actually Layzner's Gosterro! Which makes Shin such an oddity for having a cross-piloting final boss. Well, FF had either of Scirocco or Shapiro in Valsion Kai's as final bosses, but Gosterro in the Devil Gundam is a non-OG involved case, so still unique.

Hmm, do I speak of it now or let you find out? Hehehe...

I will say this, though. Do you remember how in A it was Wong who was behind putting Rain in the Devil Gundam for the final arc of G Gundam's storyline? That didn't happened in the anime. Wong actually died during the Neo Hong Kong / Lantau events. J not having Wong show up is a bit curious, but I suppose they felt they had done enough already with putting in Chapman and Michello instead.

Now for something extra which does have to do with the remainder of the game you have yet to play...

Spoiler

In the anime, the final arc was masterminded by Ulube Ishikawa, Neo Japan's prime minister. In there, it was the Neo Japan colony which the Devil Gundam took over. He did this because he was power hungry, as the winner of each Gundam Tournament gets to rule for the next four years. Ulube was Neo Japan's fighter for the 12th tournament, becoming the runner-up after being beaten by Master Asia. That was his start of villainy, making him want to become Prime Minister and start orchestrating things so Neo Japan could win the next tournament. He's the one who brought the remains of the Devil Gundam from Lantau Island to Neo Japan, resurrected it, and forced Rain to become its core. Naturally, things got out of hand, as the Devil Gundam would then take over the space colony, and Ulube being infected with DG Cells as well. He'd be killed by Domon and friends during the final battles.

Why did I just told you this? Because in J, G Gundam's plot effectively stops at Lantau. Yeah, you're already done with G Gundam.

does the AI prioritize accuracy that much?

It seems so.

(People say Gundam Wing was intended for funjoshis? Kira and Athrun need a room 🏩. The constant "I don't want to kill you!" tensions were strong. Cagalli has been sis-zoned, Flay (where has she been lately?) was hate feigning love, Lacus seems like she isn't head over heels with either of them. The young ladies are a cover to hide the rainbow reality.)

Kira and Athrun are just following the steps of Amuro and Char... not the exact same ones, however, hahaha.

I think it's safe to assume Shapiro is the last reinforcement here, and since he isn't dodgy, I could spend the spirited hot blood on these more distant foes.

Some bit of trivia.

J doesn't include Dancougar's plot, as you may have noticed. The Muge Empire is nowhere to be seen. What it does have, however, is the subplot of Shapiro betraying Earth. J made him join the Gradosians in lacking the Muge. Surprisingly he gets to have his mech, the Desire. Shapiro, at least in the early games, had this curious thing that he was always piloting something other than the Desire, which made him a regular to cross-pilot. I mentioned the Valsion Kai above, but Alpha 1 had him pilot a Balmary mecha, an Antenora. Alphaverse had the Muge show up in Alpha 3, but had the Shapiro betrayal subplot in Alpha 1, so it was the Ze Balmary's turn to house Shapiro. Although, Shapiro would show up again in Alpha 3 now working for the Muge with his Desire at last. If J had kept the trend, then he'd have a Gradosian mech to use.

Another piece of trivia. Final Dancougar? That's another "scrapped idea that SRW eventually uses" mech. In the Dancougar anime, it never happened. Mostly since Alan Igor was killed, so there was never a chance to incorporate his mech with the rest. Well, that's the in-universe reason. Who knows why Final Dancougar got scrapped out-of-universe.

Agreed. First one is very easy, the second though? I delayed on doing it for most of the game my first time. What a shame it hides the Thunder Book, means you're really missing out if you don't do it.

Took me a few tries. Mostly since I was landing on the spikes, hahaha.

Ya know I never thought of it that way. Makes sense, the friendship is better done in HoD than CotM, though both are still lacking b/c Igavania is light on plot.

I guess it was another of the few things Iga did liked about CotM, heh, to make use of it for HoD.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

4 hours ago, Armagon said:

I think it's time for round 2....

I'll need to watch this film with friends at some point, it sounds like the perfect film to chill out and do this whenever a reference pops up.

Soyjak Pointing Meme Generator - Imgflip

10 hours ago, Armagon said:

Yeah but do you know Japanese?

That's the difference, yes.

...Although I must say, I've heard some Latin American dubs in my time, and uh... Yeah, I think I see it there, too. Despite the fact that it's my mother language lol

Not that Spanish dubs are much better. The voices are more distinct, but on the other hand, there are times when our dubbers just... don't emote, for some reason.

10 hours ago, Armagon said:

Also side note, not accusing you of this, but people who pirate (Nintendo especially) games are like the vegans of the gaming community. For them, it is a matter of life and death to tell everyone that they emulate, they just gotta let you know that they emulate.

Gotta spread awareness to stop poor fools from feeling like they have to give some asshole 200$ to play Radiant Dawn.

Plus you gotta admit dem tunes are sick

9 hours ago, Armagon said:

Spoilers in case anyone wants to watch (I don't but you know me, I don't do good with the depression)

Hide contents

Ai getting pregnant at 16 bad (damn it's almost like that's the point)

Reincarnation lame (alright tbf with my limited knowledge, I'm not entirely sure how much the reincarnation adds to the plot besides being a thing that happened)

The main dude is supposedly a pedophile (literally how lmao)

Unrelated, but I looked this up to see if there was any truth to any of this and found that apparently it is a criticism of idol culture. Shrimpy told me something to that effect, but it seems more specifically to be about idol culture. Which is also the thing that the creator of my favorite anime series was best known for.

I really oughta watch Perfect Blue one of these days.

Shit actually that makes me realize, the last anime I watched in full was Paranoia Agent and I was still in like high school when I watched that

8 hours ago, Armagon said:

"I can't wait to bomb some Dodongos"

Enough.

My ship sails in the morning.

3 hours ago, Sidereal Wraith said:

Early Youtube was wild.

https://noisypixel.net/xenosaga-fans-unite-preserve-pied-piper/

Lovely idea, though I doubt it shall succeed.

5 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Devil Axis was 64, not Shin. It was the true final boss in Shin, you got that right. In there what it took over was the La Vie en Rose ship, from UC Gundam. And the pilot was actually Layzner's Gosterro! Which makes Shin such an oddity for having a cross-piloting final boss. Well, FF had either of Scirocco or Shapiro in Valsion Kai's as final bosses, but Gosterro in the Devil Gundam is a non-OG involved case, so still unique.

Hmm, do I speak of it now or let you find out? Hehehe...

I will say this, though. Do you remember how in A it was Wong who was behind putting Rain in the Devil Gundam for the final arc of G Gundam's storyline? That didn't happened in the anime. Wong actually died during the Neo Hong Kong / Lantau events. J not having Wong show up is a bit curious, but I suppose they felt they had done enough already with putting in Chapman and Michello instead.

So much for the ideal Life Core Unit being a woman (although I can imagine it was A that invented the "one able to harbor life is naturally the best choice" reasoning). Excellent subtle purely coincidental timing for when he shows up again J.

And thank you for the clarification and further information!😃

5 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Some bit of trivia.

J doesn't include Dancougar's plot, as you may have noticed. The Muge Empire is nowhere to be seen. What it does have, however, is the subplot of Shapiro betraying Earth. J made him join the Gradosians in lacking the Muge. Surprisingly he gets to have his mech, the Desire. Shapiro, at least in the early games, had this curious thing that he was always piloting something other than the Desire, which made him a regular to cross-pilot. I mentioned the Valsion Kai above, but Alpha 1 had him pilot a Balmary mecha, an Antenora. Alphaverse had the Muge show up in Alpha 3, but had the Shapiro betrayal subplot in Alpha 1, so it was the Ze Balmary's turn to house Shapiro. Although, Shapiro would show up again in Alpha 3 now working for the Muge with his Desire at last. If J had kept the trend, then he'd have a Gradosian mech to use.

Huh. A man curiously consistently cross. Cross-piloting is the truest breaking of boundaries, to plant the flesh of one license in the steel of another, potentially an act of sacrilege depending on the audience.

While the Dancouga is fine, I think I would've preferred Shapiro in something Gradosian, and not solely to keep the avant garde trend going. The Desire has an overly simplistic big blue design, the bull aspect in tandem with the color reminds me of one of Saya's lackeys.

6 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Another piece of trivia. Final Dancougar? That's another "scrapped idea that SRW eventually uses" mech. In the Dancougar anime, it never happened. Mostly since Alan Igor was killed, so there was never a chance to incorporate his mech with the rest. Well, that's the in-universe reason. Who knows why Final Dancougar got scrapped out-of-universe.

Wait a sec... isn't the Dancouga in SRW30's Expansion Pack that I didn't buy also something that never got used? I coulda sworn you said at the time it was history curiously happening twice.

-And this explains why the Final upgrade was so underwhelming, but one additional subpilot and a small weapons & stats boost. It wasn't purely as I thought in the moment it happened the result of Dancouga ranking second-to-last narrative in representation in J (Combattler V being the one below it).

Again, I appreciate you going all Ms. Fressange here!😄 She is probably my own Nadesico spirit animal, giving explanations is fun!

32 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Gotta spread awareness to stop poor fools from feeling like they have to give some asshole 200$ to play Radiant Dawn

But that's Path of Radiance I thought?

1 minute ago, Lightcosmo said:

But that's Path of Radiance I thought?

Path of Radiance is 700$ on Ebay looooooooooool

900$ for the whole duology. Yeah, better pirate.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

I hadn't even realized Hyacinth was a martial master, could've sworn he was a high priest.

They really didn't do enough with him. He's the most crotchety-looking person in the entire game and his main weapon is his bare hands. That's absolutely fucking hilarious.

17 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Path of Radiance is 700$ on Ebay looooooooooool

900$ for the whole duology. Yeah, better pirate.

Unfortunate for those who dont already own them. Xd

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Gotta spread awareness to stop poor fools from feeling like they have to give some asshole 200$ to play Radiant Dawn.

Plus you gotta admit dem tunes are sick

Oh yeah, for like old games it makes sense.

I'm talking about whenever a new game comes out and people are like "hehe, I'm gonna play this on my Steam Deck, fuck Nintendo". There was that whole thing with Kotaku where like a week after Dread came out (first mainline Metroid game in like a decade), they were like "here's how to play the game on Yuzu".

When the Mario movie has a Pikmin reference for two seconds

leo-pointing.jpg

My sister couldn't tell that Mario was voiced by Chris Pratt, so I think that means he did a good job.

Also, I have started Trails to Azure's final chapter.

Spoiler

Surprisingly enough, Garcia returns and helps Lloyd escape from prison. Getting to use unexpected characters is fun.

Now we've caught up to Cold Steel II... maybe, Lloyd was imprisoned for a few weeks so it's hard to tell if Rean is still unconscious. There are a few new plot points established:

Zeit is a Holy Beast: technically not a twist since it was established in chapter 1 of Zero, but what that means isn't explored until now. In fact, he even has a book about him. Are there any works of fiction in Zemuria? He gets along well with Cecile, so maybe she's descended from St. Ursula.

KeA is an artificial Sept-Terrion created to replace Demiourgos, which erased itself from existence in the past: previously I thought she was either a vessel for D or D somehow incarnated as a human, rather than an entirely new Sept-Terrion. I wonder if Demiourgos will return somehow...

Wazy is the Ninth Dominion, the Sapphire Testament: any relation to Xenosaga is currently unverified, however. I was wondering if he had a Stigma back when he fought Wald earlier. Additionally we learn Kevin's new title, the Thousand-Hand Guardian.

It seems the first part of the finale will involve reassembling the party. Even Zeit becomes playable, since his non-interference policy expired when Demiourgos disappeared. So that means Rixia will hopefully join soon, though Dudley probably won't join until we return to Crossbell City.