Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

4 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Specially if it's the Jovian Peace Talks again. lol

At least the Jovians are nice enough to even remotely consider it. More than can be said of many other aliens, Earthlings, and near-Earth space colonists.

7 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Ah yes, it can be nice to listen to the tracks. Specially the different renditions. J in particular choses to go for fast-paced renditions of the tracks. It's notorious when you hear slower-paced versions. Like those of Alphaverse. In my Dream and Realize come to mind.

*Compares the two*

First, neither has the sounds of chakra lasers and Vital Jumping all over the place included.

Second, wow the Alpha 2 version starts slow. Almost nostalgic like an adult reflecting on a childhood photograph of themselves and the passing of time- "In My Dream (Of My Youth)" so to speak. The pivot to chill, steady, slightly gritty, yet optimistic rock doesn't exactly flow from the intro, but it is competent. J's version startup is slow too, yet not as incongruous with what follows. The choice of rock afterwards is more openly cheery and perhaps even frolicking with the spirit of adventure -or maybe that's b/c the Brain Powerd battles in J happen over the Pacific Ocean and positive marine energies are rubbing off on my impression.

-Alpha 2 does have have possibly my favorite version of Trombe! though, the unused one actually. The slower beat and softer notes work here, and offer a pleasant contrast to the OGverse renditions.

• Replies 180.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

10 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

At least the Jovians are nice enough to even remotely consider it. More than can be said of many other aliens, Earthlings, and near-Earth space colonists.

Some of them at least, yeah.

10 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

*Compares the two*

First, neither has the sounds of chakra lasers and Vital Jumping all over the place included.

Second, wow the Alpha 2 version starts slow. Almost nostalgic like an adult reflecting on a childhood photograph of themselves and the passing of time- "In My Dream (Of My Youth)" so to speak. The pivot to chill, steady, slightly gritty, yet optimistic rock doesn't exactly flow from the intro, but it is competent. J's version startup is slow too, yet not as incongruous with what follows. The choice of rock afterwards is more openly cheery and perhaps even frolicking with the spirit of adventure -or maybe that's b/c the Brain Powerd battles in J happen over the Pacific Ocean and positive marine energies are rubbing off on my impression.

-Alpha 2 does have have possibly my favorite version of Trombe! though, the unused one actually. The slower beat and softer notes work here, and offer a pleasant contrast to the OGverse renditions.

It's closer to how the actual opening is. Of course, we're talking about PS2 soundtrack capability over the GBA's, but even so the GBA version still took it to be a bit faster paced. In the J version, the intro sequence lasts about 20 seconds, while the Alpha 2 one it's 25.

Another factor to In my Dream being how it is has to do that Brain Powerd is on the lighter side of Tomino's works. He might have been "Kill 'em All" Tomino at some point, but even then he could write more whimsical mecha adventures with little to no deaths happening. It usually was a cycle. Zambot 3 to Daitarn 3, Zeta Gundam to Gundam ZZ, Ideon to Xabungle, Dunbine to L-Gaim. Though by the time he made L-Gaim it seems he was fully set on that side of the spectrum, as the works that followed after, Brain Powerd and King Gainer were also on the lighter side.

And yep, Brain Powerd happens mostly on the Pacific Ocean since that's where Orphan is. And of course, where Japan is. Though as you saw with the Nelly events, they did traveled around.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Wait, are you criticizing the fan remaster with the "soul.png" moniker?

I actually didn't catch that it was the fan remaster.

8 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

No word about if the Merchant also made it out of the castle? No? Welp. He truly was so minor of an NPC...

Does he at least get a better deal than Portrait of Ruin's merchant? Hard to get more royally screwed over than ol' Vinny...

6 hours ago, Armagon said:

Yeah same, but people bragging about it is pretty annoying.

The "fuck Nintendo" rhetoric is weird to me anyways the worst they've done is like take down mods and stuff. Which, they shouldn't, but is that really what you want to get pissed about? You don't see "it's morally correct to pirate from" with other gaming companies. Blizzard has done way, way, way worse yet people still play Overwatch and World of Warcraft. Naughty Dog sucks dick to work at but nobody goes "hehe look guys, here's how you can play The Last of Us for free on your Steam Deck".

No ethical consumption under capitalism and all that, i just think it's weird how Nintendo gets singled out for doing stuff that's a drop in the bucket compared to a lot of companies.

Well, I cannot speak for people, but I don't think hate on Nintendo is the reason, or at least not the primary one for most people. In one Gabe Newell's words, "Piracy is almost always a service problem."

There's Ninty's problem. They only offer their games on their underpowered console at full retail price or higher. If you have a good PC and don't care for the portability, to play them the official, "right" way, you have to force yourself to play on an inferior system with worse visuals and performance and having to perform necromancy on it to use mods. Pirating is so easy that at that point the purchase runs on the honor system. And well, many don't care to just donate their money to a multimillionaire company that does crappy things, even if it's not as much crap as others.

As for those Blizzard games you brought them up, both of those are free to play (kinda, the free part of WoW seems pretty sad) and available on multiple systems, including PC. Ease of use makes piracy a needless hassle, unlike the outright improvement it often is with Ninty games.

Heck, I myself might only stick to playing games on my Switch because my weekend computer can't handle Yuzu that well lol. Just with Engage alone the difference is rather staggering.

4 hours ago, Newtype06 said:

image.png

Ruben would approve

I don't know the context, but yes.

4 hours ago, Armagon said:

Me when i take the camera out of bounds to look at the game in a way it wasn't meant to be looked at.

I mean ngl even on the native screenshot that does look pretty cheap and arguably worse than the original's simple pixelated charm. And that's kind of catastrophic when the GBA has historically always been the most painless system to emulate. At that point the only reason to buy the new game is to try to support the (dying) franchise, and well, I just talked about the honor system issue at length two quotes back.

3 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Wait, are you criticizing the fan remaster with the "soul.png" moniker?

...that's different?

Oh wow, getting a closer look, it's true, that's different. The diorama does look a wee bit better, I'd need to see the UI to really judge.

3 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Either way, I still feel obligated to get Re-Boot Camp. Advance Wars has been dead, this is the glimmer of life that shall probably recede away, but I have to support it. I'll just have to set aside Drake's total lack of chin this time around. 

I'd say depends on how much of the fanbase feels like buying the same games again with arguably worse graphics for 60(?) bucks, and how many new players the game attracts. Though with the nonexistant marketing campaign, I have to wonder about the latter... We know how that has worked our for FE in the past.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

On the one hand, I don't wanna redo Timerra's join map. I really don't.

On the other hand, proving you can get away with using Alfred on Maddening is too interesting a prospect to pass up on.

Dammit, decisions, decisions.

1 minute ago, Lightcosmo said:

Its really not that difficult.

Haha, well, maybe not, but I still have to pull up a tutorial, follow a whole tutorial, fiddle with the Switch's components, and then I have to make sure I don't accidentally update my Switch and stuff. All this, assuming my particular Switch can even be modded at all.

Compare that to the Nintendo PC process. Step 1: drag a folder to a folder. Boom, done, modded. It is undeniably more convenient.

34 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Haha, well, maybe not, but I still have to pull up a tutorial, follow a whole tutorial, fiddle with the Switch's components, and then I have to make sure I don't accidentally update my Switch and stuff. All this, assuming my particular Switch can even be modded at all.

Compare that to the Nintendo PC process. Step 1: drag a folder to a folder. Boom, done, modded. It is undeniably more convenient.

It's simply, you need to purchase an SD Card to use an SD Card reader for your PC if it needs one, an RCM clip for your switch an cable that allows you to connect your switch to your PC, check if your switch is moddable (they have a site that checks by its serial number)

Download files onto SD card and then put RCM clip into Switch while its connected to your PC, then it's easy sailing from there.

9 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Another factor to In my Dream being how it is has to do that Brain Powerd is on the lighter side of Tomino's works. He might have been "Kill 'em All" Tomino at some point, but even then he could write more whimsical mecha adventures with little to no deaths happening. It usually was a cycle. Zambot 3 to Daitarn 3

How is the super robot series with literal children as pilots and a very kiddy-sounding theme on the dark side?🤔

9 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Though by the time he made L-Gaim it seems he was fully set on that side of the spectrum

Checking his vast filmography on Wikipedia, L-Gaim is placed at 1984, Zeta in '85. Victory G' is '93 and seems to be the last kill 'em all entry. -Am I wrong?

I am amazed looking at Tomino's record, larger than I thought for what one man in the mecha genre could contribute.

8 hours ago, Armagon said:

I actually didn't catch that it was the fan remaster.

To be fair to the fan criticism though. The actual WayForward image does have a few issues, for which I partly blame the addition of the 3D plane. The units could use more definition, to make them easier to identify without moving the cursor over them. The mountains and the forests could be bigger, they don't pop out to the eye like they used to and look weirdly small; the various properties have this issue to a smaller degree.

5 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

'd say depends on how much of the fanbase feels like buying the same games again with arguably worse graphics for 60(?) bucks, and how many new players the game attracts. Though with the nonexistant marketing campaign, I have to wonder about the latter... We know how that has worked our for FE in the past.

If the marketing campaign were a military campaign, I could likely summarize it in the following command- "Charge! Into the enemy trenches!".

I'll keep my expectations low.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

47 minutes ago, Lightcosmo said:

It's simply, you need to purchase an SD Card to use an SD Card reader for your PC if it needs one, an RCM clip for your switch an cable that allows you to connect your switch to your PC, check if your switch is moddable (they have a site that checks by its serial number)

Download files onto SD card and then put RCM clip into Switch while its connected to your PC, then it's easy sailing from there.

Again, my point is not that it's hard to mod the Switch, I'm just saying it's harder than modding on emulators. On emulator, you drag a folder to another folder. The end.

Besides, I'd argue that's not quite as simple as you make it out to be. I have to purchase a number of gizmos I probably don't have any other use for, which is already an extra monetary investment just to mod, not to mention the time and hassle of going out to stores / waiting for the package to arrive. And if my switch turns out not to be moddable, well, I'm shit out of luck.

The only factors here are if you have a computer reasonably capable of emulating the Switch, and if you use your Switch as a home console. I understand it's not the case for everyone, but if you do, it's just the superior option no matter which way you slice it. Better performance, better graphics, easy modding, all the save back-ups you could ever want without a paid subscription... Pretty sure you can even play online with emus, though I haven't looked into it.

Otherwise, better pray to dear Sommie that you didn't pick up an unmoddable Switch.

36 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

If the marketing campaign were a military campaign, I could likely summarize it in the following command- "Charge! Into the enemy trenches!".

I'll keep my expectations low.

Better do that, yeah. Unfortunately I can't say I will personally contribute, Advance Wars has proven time and time again not to be my jam, but I wish the fans good luck. If FE could pull a miracle off back in the day, why not AW?

Edited by Saint Rubenio

50 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Otherwise, better pray to dear Sommie that you didn't pick up an unmoddable Switch.

Like with the 3DS, eventually it will be moddable to the end of its life-span.

50 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

have to purchase a number of gizmos I probably don't have any other use for

But an SD card reader is always useful!

7 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Does he at least get a better deal than Portrait of Ruin's merchant? Hard to get more royally screwed over than ol' Vinny...

Well, if better deal is that no one really pays attention to him... I guess. As I mentioned before, the Merchant is like, just literally there. Randomly came across the castle and invited himself in, pft.

How is the super robot series with literal children as pilots and a very kiddy-sounding theme on the dark side?🤔

Uuf, don't even get me started. For starters, Butcher the Killer do gets to live up to his name. Gaizock in general enact such vile act like implanting bombs in the bodies of people and then... detonating them at some point. And this includes doing it to children. A few of the Zambot 3's pilots' friends die that way. And that's the other thing. This is a certified "Kill 'Em All Tomino" anime. Not even the pilots come unscatched. Kappei is the only one who survives to the end. The other two kids, as well as the dog, get killed during the final fight. So to wit, most of the protagonists die. Most of their family die. Most of their friends die. So... yep, it's pretty dark.

"Fun" fact, for Zambot's debut in SRW with 4, they actually included the live bombs bit. And then... made it optional to avoid! If you didn't took a certain path in a route split (I think that was the condition), then there was nothing you could do to prevent it. The pilots' friends and a lot of other people would still go kaboom.

So... yep, Tomino could get brutal. He'd kill children in his works, and sometimes, quite graphic. Never watch the Ideon movie finale if it'd bother you so.

Checking his vast filmography on Wikipedia, L-Gaim is placed at 1984, Zeta in '85. Victory G' is '93 and seems to be the last kill 'em all entry. -Am I wrong?

Ah, right right. Forgot that UC Gundam is very spread out. Still, it's true that he'd often do it in pairs. Though, as you put it, Zeta coming after L-Gaim does still fulfill the cycle, heh. But yeah, Victory seemed to be indeed the last one he went all out. Not coincidentally, not counting the "distant sequels" of Turn A and Reconguista, Victory is the end of the UC Gundam timeline.

I am amazed looking at Tomino's record, larger than I thought for what one man in the mecha genre could contribute.

Oh, indeed. It's quite amazing. And even he'd come back to do one more work even after having more or less retired (Reconguista in G).

Edited by Acacia Sgt

I am shocked that the pink creepshow is actually popular.

Also Sommie just being there is absolutely hilarious.

Will look forward to the final poll results showing that Lindon is the least popular character in the game so I can confirm I am a natural contrarian and that the Japanese have no taste.

1 hour ago, Lightcosmo said:

Like with the 3DS, eventually it will be moddable to the end of its life-span.

Hopefully it will happen soon.

1 hour ago, Lightcosmo said:

But an SD card reader is always useful!

Fair enough, that's true!

1 hour ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Well, if better deal is that no one really pays attention to him... I guess. As I mentioned before, the Merchant is like, just literally there. Randomly came across the castle and invited himself in, pft.

Plot twist: The merchant is Wrys. "I am Wrys, a humble merchant. I cannot fight, but these wares I carry can help you face the undead. Take me with you, and you'll be very glad you did." Then he never said anything else, ever, as per the laws of Archanea.

Still better than what Vincent got, like holy shit

Edited by Saint Rubenio

6 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Well, it happens.

Though perhaps being puncher healer helped her there.

... you were talking about Framme, right?

6 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Plot twist: The merchant is Wrys. "I am Wrys, a humble merchant. I cannot fight, but these wares I carry can help you face the undead. Take me with you, and you'll be very glad you did." Then he never said anything else, ever, as per the laws of Archanea.

Still better than what Vincent got, like holy shit

Haha, yeah. HoD's merchant is there just for the sake of having a shop. He doesn't even have a name! Well, the Master Librarian of SotN was only known as Master Librarian, but he had more character and presence than the Merchant at least.

8 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

They only offer their games on their underpowered console at full retail price or higher.

This has literally always been the case since the jump to 3D. Nintendo consoles have always been historically the most underpowered one. 

Mind you, shit like releasing Skyward Sword HD at full price when like

maxresdefault.jpg

is pretty bad. Which makes it weird when Metroid Prime Remastered is $40 when

san3.png

cause Nintendo's weird i guess.

Point is, i feel like "the Switch is underpowered" is just an easy excuse for pirates to brag about how much they love pirating. Switch could be running 16K 120fps natively and there'd still be people like "it's morally correct to pirate Nintendo".

And that's kind of catastrophic when the GBA has historically always been the most painless system to emulate

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The actual WayForward image does have a few issues, for which I partly blame the addition of the 3D plane. The units could use more definition, to make them easier to identify without moving the cursor over them. The mountains and the forests could be bigger, they don't pop out to the eye like they used to and look weirdly small; the various properties have this issue to a smaller degree.

Feels like Link's Awakening got it better

lMptlsL.jpg

but it's wild to see people complaining about it now when we've known this is what it was gonna look like for like a whole year now.

Though with the nonexistant marketing campaig

Wdym, the marketing was the game got delayed because Russia.

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

On emulator, you drag a folder to another folder. The end.

But then depending on the emulator and game, you have to fuck around with the settings and even then. Emulating Nintendo? Easy peasy. Emulating the PS3?

tenor_71.gif?width=275&height=252

hell even on easier stuff, i still had to fuck around. I had to fuck around to get Xenosaga and Berwick Saga to run properly. I had to fuck around to get Endless Frontier (Exceed) to not sound like shit on MelonDS (it was an easy fix but i still couldn't just drag and drop to play, honestly that's an (understandable) generalization).

18 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Curious as to how the Solm royals aren't there.

Edited by Armagon

Seems curious that both Alears, Diamant, and Alfred are separate from the rest and using the artwork in the case of the royals. As the comments in there say, does it mean they are the podium occupants?

Edited by Acacia Sgt

13 minutes ago, Armagon said:

They seemed to have gotten the short end of the stick. When you think about it, the Solm chapters don't really focus a whole lot on them, unlike with the other royals. Heck, you have the whole Hortensia thing happening in Solm itself, so it robs a little to Solm's own focus.

Fogado also probably is seen as too much of a Claude copy (if mostly in appearance) but without all the character baggage of the latter to stand out on his own.

I tried going to beat Lucina first before redoing Timerra's join map.

It is impossible for me to beat Lucina at this point of the game. The map is okay, but then she's too powerful and I cannot kill her in one turn before she is guaranteed to kill someone. F

...Or so I thought, until on my last crystal I realized I could use the Lyn clones to distract her long enough. A few super lucky 60% hits later, and she went down. Just barely. Had I missed any hits, she would've won. Jesus Christ.

Amber ended up being the MVP. That gives me the motivation I need to beat Timerra's join map again. He deserves to become a legend.

38 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Well, it happens.

Though perhaps being puncher healer helped her there.

... you were talking about Framme, right?

Yeah. In fairness, stalker teenager that is horny for your sweat does seem like something that would be quite popular in Japan.

38 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Haha, yeah. HoD's merchant is there just for the sake of having a shop. He doesn't even have a name! Well, the Master Librarian of SotN was only known as Master Librarian, but he had more character and presence than the Merchant at least.

Might as well have had a skeleton manning the shop. Would've been funny, at least.

32 minutes ago, Armagon said:

This has literally always been the case since the jump to 3D. Nintendo consoles have always been historically the most underpowered one. 

Well, yeah, but just because it's always been that way doesn't change the fact that, provided you got a good enough rig, you can get a better experience out of emulating than using the official system.

Keywords being, of course, "good enough rig." I am of the opinion that a good computer is a good investment, as you can get a ton of use out of it, but anyone's milleage may vary, and I definitely don't think anyone should splurge on a good rig just to emulate the Switch. It's more of an extra thing you can do once you have it.

All in all, it's certainly not a no-brainer alternative, but if you do have the possibility of going for it, I do understand why people would prefer to pirate new releases. Though at that point, just for the sake of supporting the devs and the future of the franchise, I'd prefer to buy it, then emulate, like I'm doing with Engage.

33 minutes ago, Armagon said:

maxresdefault.jpg

is pretty bad. Which makes it weird when Metroid Prime Remastered is $40 when

san3.png

cause Nintendo's weird i guess.

Different teams. The Zelda remaster was made quickly and without effort to obtain quick bucks off of the brand name. The Metroid Prime remaster was made with love and care by people who clearly love the games.

...Actually - I know, there goes Ruben with the Nintendo PC again - I really wouldn't be surprised if you could throw the original game on Dolphin and make it look better than the official remaster lol

34 minutes ago, Armagon said:

But then depending on the emulator and game, you have to fuck around with the settings and even then. Emulating Nintendo? Easy peasy. Emulating the PS3?

tenor_71.gif?width=275&height=252

hell even on easier stuff, i still had to fuck around. I had to fuck around to get Xenosaga and Berwick Saga to run properly. I had to fuck around to get Endless Frontier (Exceed) to not sound like shit on MelonDS (it was an easy fix but i still couldn't just drag and drop to play, honestly that's an (understandable) generalization).

That's fair. You do have to be at least somewhat computer savvy to get certain emulators going.

34 minutes ago, Armagon said:

They arrive super late, aren't super stand-out units and they have zero plot impact. (hey now I get why Fogado looks like Claude)

And let's be honest, this is a Japanese poll and they are black.

29 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Seems curious that both Alears, Diamant, and Alfred are separate from the rest and using the artwork in the case of the royals. As the comments in there say, does it mean they are the podium occupants?

Probably top 3, yeah. This surprises me, Alfred didn't strike me as top 3 material. Definitely would look different if Westerners were involved. Yunaka would probably shoot way higher, and Pannette would be present.

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Might as well have had a skeleton manning the shop. Would've been funny, at least.

Heh, maybe, but then it wouldn't make much sense to be helping the Belmonts. It works with Alucard because he is still Dracula's son, despite him being against him. Hence why the Master Librarian even bothers to give him stuff... and because Alucard offered to pay for them. So yeah, the shop exists because Alucard is bribing the old man, pft.

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Probably top 3, yeah. This surprises me, Alfred didn't strike me as top 3 material. Definitely would look different if Westerners were involved. Yunaka would probably shoot way higher, and Pannette would be present.

Maybe the illness thing shot him up there? Being fitness obsessed as a result of his poor health likely is appealing.

35 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

They seemed to have gotten the short end of the stick. When you think about it, the Solm chapters don't really focus a whole lot on them, unlike with the other royals. Heck, you have the whole Hortensia thing happening in Solm itself, so it robs a little to Solm's own focus.

Fogado also probably is seen as too much of a Claude copy (if mostly in appearance) but without all the character baggage of the latter to stand out on his own.

But also because they're black. In Japan.

9 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I really wouldn't be surprised if you could throw the original game on Dolphin and make it look better than the official remaster lol

Actually no. This is what the original looks like with the HD mod pack

MPHD5.jpg

vs the official Remaster

absolutely-incredible-just-as-metroid-pr

I couldn't find exact locations but yeah, the Remaster is leagues above any fanmade HD pack.

Comparing anything fan made to the devs actual work speaks for itself. 

For example, Smash Ultimate is way better with texture mods than the original repallete boringness. Xd

17 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Maybe the illness thing shot him up there? Being fitness obsessed as a result of his poor health likely is appealing.

Could be, it does make him into a rather unique character.

15 minutes ago, Armagon said:

But also because they're black. In Japan.

Mmhmm. Already a miracle there's four of them in the game.

15 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Actually no. This is what the original looks like with the HD mod pack

MPHD5.jpg

vs the official Remaster

absolutely-incredible-just-as-metroid-pr

I couldn't find exact locations but yeah, the Remaster is leagues above any fanmade HD pack.

I meant Zelda.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

Well, I did not expect Zelkov and Ivy C to go in that direction, after seeing the one moment in the "out of context" videos. Why are they like that? Ivy, Zelkov's literally top 3 most lovable men in Lythos. How could you say such a thing? I'll fucking kill you, where is my plume...

Also the more I see of him, the less Amber's design suits him. Turns out he was raised in a barn. The frilly guy with the cravat and the long, dashing blonde hair. I guess I can see the hair as an attempt to resemble alpacas, but the nobleman's attire ill suits him.

11 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Well, I did not expect Zelkov and Ivy C to go in that direction, after seeing the one moment in the "out of context" videos. Why are they like that? Ivy, Zelkov's literally top 3 most lovable men in Lythos. How could you say such a thing? I'll fucking kill you, where is my plume...

You try growing up in the same environment as her and let's see if you wouldn't be of the same mindset.

Use the plume and then you'll be next.