Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

And now that I think of it... Combattler and Voltes would've fit showing up in SRW V. XD

Edited by Acacia Sgt

• Replies 176.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpica

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

13 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Maybe wanting to keep that almost exclusivity? Can't go running Nintendo games on a non-Nintendo platform. The mobile games being the exceptions.

To be precise, they wanted to stop it from being legitimized further. They'd have to be profoundly stupid to honestly believe the practice is not widespread.

13 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Kotaku grabbed a statement from the company which states that the emulator “illegally circumvents Nintendo’s protection measures and runs illegal copies of games.” Further mentioned, “Using illegal emulators or illegal copies of games harms development and ultimately stifles innovation.”

The full statement reads:

“Nintendo is committed to protecting the hard work and creativity of video game engineers and developers. This emulator illegally circumvents Nintendo’s protection measures and runs illegal copies of games. Using illegal emulators or illegal copies of games harms development and ultimately stifles innovation. Nintendo respects the intellectual property rights of other companies, and in turn expects others to do the same.”

https://nintendoeverything.com/nintendo-issues-statement-on-dmca-given-to-dolphin-steam-release/

Yeah, in other words, very vague stuff.

12 hours ago, Capt. Fargus said:

Yah thats a fun one aint it?

In that one I always sent all the horsies for the sake of speed, a couple with Marcus across the top to bust through that wall, and the rest down along the bottom to grab Klein and his idiots. Then it’s a hustle to relay Klein up north to grab Thea and her entourage

By then Echidna’s gettin attacked but fortunately she can handle herself for a bit. Once she’s on the squad I park her in the hole in the wall to wait for the cavaliers

The axe guys that come outta the caves are the next problem and they can be a handful since now everybody that can swing a sword has a rider

It's a pretty cool map. Nice and busy, just how I like 'em. Both it and its Bartre route equivalent - which is the one I did, incidentally. Since the plan is to use units I've never used before, and Bartre's hilarious base speed always kept me from utilizing his stache to its fullest potential. I hear the real Bartre experience is to ditch axes and use him as a fat sniper, though. We'll see.

Doesn't help that the guy (warning hot take incoming) is pretty outclassed in the facial hair regard. There is no greater moustache than Moulder's, and in Binding Blade you have Douglas's top tier beard. Plus, Lot is one of my favorite characters in the game, so he has competition in his own classline. And as if that wasn't enough, not helping Bartre's case is that Echidna is my type a pretty cool character, to say nothing about that sweet, sweet female hero sprite. Despite the stache, he has everything going against him in the Ruben Scientific System.

10 hours ago, Armagon said:

It wasn't even Nintendo this time, it was Valve themselves. Valve was like "hey Nintendo can we put Dolphin on Steam" and Nintendo said the most obvious answer in the world and Valve was like "aight cheers". There was no DMCA or anything.

Once again it was just very easy to write a "fuck Nintendo" headline but tbf it's a game of telephone got wrong. Looks like Valve received Nintendo's reply and then forwarded it to Dolphin team. Hence why Dolphin thinks they got DMCA'd but in actuality none of it happened.

I mean, I wouldn't say it's necessarily "fuck Nintendo" in this case. It's not like emulators are software that serve multiple functions, some of which can be used for piracy - it's a program designed exclusively to run Nintendo games. Putting such a thing up on Steam was a move bordering on insolence. Such recklessness was never going to end well, and in this case I cannot really blame Nintendo for setting limits. This is the equivalent of going to a movie, recording it on your phone, then standing in front of the theatre with a laptop and offering anyone that walks in to watch the movie for free. Of course security's going to come and get you lol, I mean duh.

Still, given Nintendo's fondness for DMCA, I also can't blame people for assuming it was that.

11 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

and in this case I cannot really blame Nintendo for setting limits

Heres where my issue with this is: they claim that mods hurt the games so they try take things about them down (such as videos for example) but if you look up Smash Ultimate mods, nothing has changed, its all still there!  

Why remove these for specific things only? I mean what, does Smash matter "less" in their eyes?

Edited by Lightcosmo

16 minutes ago, Lightcosmo said:

Heres where my issue with this is: they claim that mods hurt the games so they try take things about them down (such as videos for example) but if you look up Smash Ultimate mods, nothing has changed, its all still there!  

Why remove these for specific things only? I mean what, does Smash matter "less" in their eyes?

That's unrelated to the current topic, I'd say. We're talking about piracy here. Nintendo has to set some limits, it's a terrible look to have tools to play your games on platforms where they're not available, better than in the actual platforms, for free, readily up for grabs in the industry's biggest digital marketplace. Legal technicalities or no, they have to do something to save face here, keep it "underground", so to speak. Or at least, I believe that's the most likely logic they followed.

Their treatment of mods is a much simpler issue. Nintendo is well known for its constant failures to keep up with the times, and haven't yet arrived at the realization that most of the industry already reached a decade ago: Mods are a good thing that should be encouraged, for they increase longevity and interest for games. Not that they're the only ones, of course. Remember the thing Take Two did a couple years ago?

5 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

That's unrelated to the current topic, I'd say. We're talking about piracy here. Nintendo has to set some limits, it's a terrible look to have tools to play your games on platforms where they're not available, better than in the actual platforms, for free, readily up for grabs in the industry's biggest digital marketplace. Legal technicalities or no, they have to do something to save face here, keep it "underground", so to speak. Or at least, I believe that's the most likely logic they followed.

Their treatment of mods is a much simpler issue. Nintendo is well known for its constant failures to keep up with the times, and haven't yet arrived at the realization that most of the industry already reached a decade ago: Mods are a good thing that should be encouraged, for they increase longevity and interest for games. Not that they're the only ones, of course. Remember the thing Take Two did a couple years ago?

Which i understand, I really have no issue with that. But when it comes to taking down mods because they "hurt the game" then it starts to bother me.

4 minutes ago, Lightcosmo said:

Which i understand, I really have no issue with that. But when it comes to taking down mods because they "hurt the game" then it starts to bother me.

On that, we agree. Let's be honest here, "they hurt the game" is an excuse. What they're afraid of is that they'll hurt the sales of related games. Which is a dumb, outdated mindset, but Nintendo will Nintendo.

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

On that, we agree. Let's be honest here, "they hurt the game" is an excuse. What they're afraid of is that they'll hurt the sales of related games. Which is a dumb, outdated mindset, but Nintendo will Nintendo.

This is most notable for a mod like Project M, which did not require you to mod your system in any manner to run, it literally supported buying an original copy of the game to play. XD

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

To be precise, they wanted to stop it from being legitimized further. They'd have to be profoundly stupid to honestly believe the practice is not widespread.

I think they just didn't want it on a storefront. Because at that point it's being "sold" and selling emulation is a no-no. Remember the legal point of emulation is to emulate the games you already own.....and there are no Nintendo games on Steam.

1 hour ago, Lightcosmo said:

Tbf if you directly allow mods, you could actually lose rights. One game company actually lost the rights to their game because in the legal agreements, they allowed mods.

So when devs today allow mods, they "allow" it by simply not choosing to go after legal action. They can encourage it even but there's definitely a legal spot that, if crossed, they could lose rights.

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

Tbf if you directly allow mods, you could actually lose rights. One game company actually lost the rights to their game because in the legal agreements, they allowed mods.

So when devs today allow mods, they "allow" it by simply not choosing to go after legal action. They can encourage it even but there's definitely a legal spot that, if crossed, they could lose rights.

And this makes sense, but it should apply to everything, not just specific exceptions imo. 

If they wanted to take down Smash mods, that would literally be a never ending job, lmao.

58 minutes ago, Lightcosmo said:

And this makes sense, but it should apply to everything, not just specific exceptions imo. 

If they wanted to take down Smash mods, that would literally be a never ending job, lmao.

It really depends. Everyone likes to point at Sega and how they allow Sonic fan content and are pretty lax with the rights. Truth it, ever since Sega got merged with Sammy, Sega sees Sonic as more of a brand rather than like, a video game series. Which is why they are so relaxed with Sonic......but then they hunt down streams of Persona (Sega owns Atlus). 

I'm not saying Nintendo sees Fire Emblem as more of a brand or something given the infinite amount of mods that exist. But it's clear that Nintendo takes action with their more "bigger" IPs.

11 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I thought the site was running a bit slow. Then I saw the bot platoon and their threads.

Welp, I guess it's a job for the Monado.

Was looking at reviews of that Loop8 game out of curiosity yesterday. 5/10 average review. Wow.😧 I haven't seen a JRPG do that badly in a long while. Even NISA-published/developed "quirky but not fully realized" stuff tends to score 6-7/10s.

One random purely-meaningless-background detail I noticed in one of the game's screenshots.:

Screen-Shot-2023-06-01-at-1-06-08-PM.png

That shield screams the '78.

Question @Acacia Sgt- What is the oldest mech that you're aware of with those "pointy/bladed feet"? I've seen them before on the SRX and Huckebein Mk.III Boxer ofc, but Banpresto had to copy them from somewhere. Would it be Daitarn-3?

---

Back to Episode III.

A boss with 100% accurate party-wide Ether Seal that it is willing to spam, and I had only three expensive Cleansers to cure it.😐 Thankfully, I haven't really tapped into my randomly-dropped HP consumables supply, and said boss wasn't all that damaging. I actually intentionally inflicted Break on the boss for once, the fight made me not so regretful of picking Breaker skills for chaos instead of much more useful Ice and Lightning Ethers. (Picking up that Erde Kaiser Fury skill from a random Segment Address chest does compensate just a little on the Ice side though.) Physical attackers are better than I thought when this game began, when I was more reliant on Ether skills (which are still good).

Plot before and after was good, as expected, Yuriev is getting a half-decent rushed sendoff after all. And the Omega, its transformed silhouette.😆 I know Ep. II had the Proto-Omega fought, but not fighting the Omega itself in its default form in this game is slightly odd.

I see the shops have updated again for both ground and E.S. combat. No wonder the prior dungeon was dropping so much money, time to yet again spend it all. I see the fire-halving chips are available now, I won't forget them. I do wish the Reuben had more weapon types than just twin swords and pole swords, although it does spare me a little money and debate over what to arm it with compared to the other E.S.s and between the three Anima Specials and some feasibility of adapting Jin's ground Specials to E.S. combat, he would still have enough attacks for SRW

13 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

mUKGOUP.png

I saw this game mentioned on some site a few days ago, but I forgot to bring it up here.😅 People are saying it looks budget, but I take it you wouldn't care as long as it ain't offensive?

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

Maybe I'll get a job today. Fingers crossed.

On 5/31/2023 at 8:57 AM, Saint Rubenio said:

Play Berwick Saga.

Not yet, I need to finish Thracia and Tear Ring first.

On 5/31/2023 at 8:57 AM, Saint Rubenio said:

Clive solo?

Impossible, this is not Genealogy.

15 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

Now I have to figure out how strong Aurelia is compared to all the other characters...

Top 3

Though I'm not sure if the "ghost" knights are the actual Divine Knights or copies somehow.

They're the actual ones.

Enforcers and Stahlritter are going on standby for the time being.

As for the ending of the chapter... my head hurts.

Gayorg truly was a hero for that.

Aztecs forming the Triple Alliance to overthrow the Tepanecs: Kalm

Spanish forming alliances with the Tlaxcala to overthrow Aztecs: Panik

Yeah, it was more complex than that.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

13 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Question @Acacia Sgt- What is the oldest mech that you're aware of with those "pointy/bladed feet"? I've seen them before on the SRX and Huckebein Mk.III Boxer ofc, but Banpresto had to copy them from somewhere. Would it be Daitarn-3?

Hmm... not sure, actually. Maybe Daitarn 3, yeah. Would have to check.

All right, best shaman got. He got a level by killing a warrior and obtained defense only, which is bad but not as bad as it could've been. As well, I've got... uh, Cath.

I need to use Cath in this run. I've never used her and she can support Bartre, which is nice since I have no partner for him otherwise (incidentally I completely forgot to deploy him in chapter 12, gotta compensate for it in 12x).

So anyway, how good is Cath?

FGNXOZNP_o.png

Cath is, uh...

e9Fy2ToL_o.png

She is Cath, all right.

This is going to be interesting. I can say she was useful near the end, though. She sat on a pillar and the fighters went after her because they felt they would be able to one-shot her, despite their hitrates being 0. This drew their ire away from Raigh. Raigh could've lived thanks to nosferatu, but the hitrates wouldn't have been the best. Ain't that amazing. Attagirl, and all.

Also Ein got killed by the triangle attack. Epic.

15 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

mUKGOUP.png

Hello it's me the thread's Spaniard, how do you do

4 minutes ago, Newtype06 said:

Maybe I'll get a job today. Fingers crossed.

Good luck.

Not yet, I need to finish Thracia and Tear Ring first.

Dammit.

Impossible, this is not Genealogy.

It's only impossible if you don't make it possible

15 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I saw this game mentioned on some site a few days ago, but I forgot to bring it up here.😅 People are saying it looks budget, but I take it you wouldn't care as long as it ain't offensive?

Given that the release date is planned for 2025 It shouldn't be surprising that the game looks rather unfinished now, they still have lots of work to do.

Tenochtitlan is way too bleak for a city that was incredibly colorful in it's day which I'm hoping is something they'll fix in the future, as well as the fact that the fall of the Aztecs could be more easily attributed towards other Mexica empires that they had been at war with for decades rather than Cortez and his men

As far as being flat out offensive, the worst they can do is be too obsessed about Aztec human sacrifice or try and two-side a genocide, there might be some inaccuracies that portray a certain western bias but like Ratonhnhaké:ton in Assassin's Creed 3 it would not be nearly as bad as saying that the colonization of indigenous people is an inevitability and they should just suck it up and move on.

8 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Aztecs forming the Triple Alliance to overthrow the Tepanecs: Kalm

Spanish forming alliances with the Tlaxcala to overthrow Aztecs: Panik

Yeah, it was more complex than that.

It's honestly quite tragic how subjects of the Aztecs saw Cortez as this liberator who would help free them from the empire but then ended up being conquered just the same.

5 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Hello it's me the thread's Spaniard, how do you do

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/964272585812627506/1105683924132306964/Ft9_KXnWYAAycEx.jpg

There, it's all good now.

2 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

It's honestly quite tragic how subjects of the Aztecs saw Cortez as this liberator who would help free them from the empire but then ended up being conquered just the same.

Did actual Aztec subjects sided with them? Like, the Tlaxcala weren't after all, and they did enjoyed a level of autonomy that lasted... well, the state of Tlaxcala exists for a reason.

Ultimately, though, it's still going to support it regardless of which side they're focusing on.

The Nahua simply arrived before the Spanish to the area, they aren't indigenous either.