• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Hey @Interdimensional Observer Remember how you said Sifu is a short game?

How's this: On level 3, you can obtain a key to an elevator. On replays, this elevator takes you straight to the boss. From the lobby. Where you start.

You literally only have to fight two enemies to get to the boss in this level, once you've unlocked the shortcut. Now that's efficiency.

Booooooo accessibility/convenience after legitimately going through a difficult challenge once! Booooooo on the graves of the devs' ancestors!

😛

1 hour ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

. Ys Celceta, 8 and 9 especially helped alot with setting Adol's character. Celceta talks about his past, upbringing and dreams, 8 does his character in parallel with best girl Dana, and 9 is a game that revolves all around Adol.

Reminds me the James Bond series began with the intent of 007 being completely flavorless, hence his name which his creator Ian Fleming chose believing it to be totally bland. A man whom dramatic/exotic/interesting stuff happens to, but isn't himself an object of interest. But then, the movies started giving him a pinch of flavor, which resulted in Fleming writing a bit of backstory for him, and then the modern era of Bond films went deeper.

Spy adventures, medieval fantasy adventures. Seems like eventually some moss has to start coating the rolling stone if there is but one heroic boulder experiencing it all. But rocks can only hold so much lichen, how long until Adol is over-written/developed? I guess that's what the Girl of the Month is for.

55 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Now that I think about it, I suppose Hero of Time is the only Link that actually talks in a game.....as the Hero's Shade in Twilight Princess. Therefore we can conclude each incarnation of Link is only allowed to actually speak when they're dead.

It's the same logic Dragon Quest and Atlus use. "The hero cannot speak -but only for as long as they're the main character." Both Dragon Quest V and X have scenes where you can find the Hero talking, flashbacks where they are just another NPC.

As for Atlus...

Screen-Shot-2023-06-27-at-7-28-58-PM.png

First scene in the game.

As for something from a few hours later...

Spoiler

Screen-Shot-2023-06-27-at-7-41-34-PM.png

Determination!

Screen-Shot-2023-06-27-at-7-43-21-PM.pngScreen-Shot-2023-06-27-at-7-43-56-PM.png

Anguish.😊 *Shoves him out the blimp right after saying this.*

...I know it shouldn't be a surprise what-so-ever I selectively chose this one little moment.😆 

TBF, Tatsuya shoves Maya (or rather, the now-silent empty shell of the once optimistically chatty girl who was Maya Amano) out with as much verbalized internal suffering immediately afterwards.

MegaSona "silent & cool" protagonists are actually cooler when they can speak.😛

Another example is Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse. Flynn the canonically-named protagonist of SMTIV returns in a very prominent -and talkative- role with a very confident and chill personality (makes sense, he had fought his way through 95% of IV's story when Apocalypse begins and prevents IV's normal conclusion). Talking Flynn wasn't the end of human civilization as we know it (MegaTen had already ended it after all).

50 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Now, how to keep the franchise momentum going?🤔 

I haven't a clue how to answer that.😅

5 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

how long until Adol is over-written/developed?

A few years ago i remember Kondood saying we might have games with Adol's students or kid/s as he get's older

That should be an answer xD

5 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

"The hero cannot speak -but only for as long as they're the main character."

Byleth moment

The 2000s-2010s anti-Japanese games racism is back, bros!

13 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

A few years ago i remember Kondood saying we might have games with Adol's students or kid/s as he get's older

That should be an answer xD

Interesting!😀 Just have Adol adopt his kids, the many maidens won't send one-thousand and one curses at the children if he didn't lose his virginity getting them.

Also, Old Adol can always do a game where he is too ill/injured to fight, but links his soul via a magic gem with a younger, more able individual. Why not a nervous young person devoid of self-esteem or adventure experience? Adol takes control of their body and proves it handle adventurous things, yet the young individual, since it's Adol doing it in their body and not the fledging themselves, remains self-doubting and Adol spends the journey trying to bolster their confidence.

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Also, Old Adol can always do a game where he is too ill/injured to fight, but links his soul via a magic gem with a younger, more able individual. Why not a nervous young person devoid of self-esteem or adventure experience? Adol takes control of their body and proves it handle adventurous things, yet the young individual, since it's Adol doing it in their body and not the fledging themselves, remains self-doubting and Adol spends the journey trying to bolster their confidence.

with the final battle being the student vs. Adol themselves as a sorta graduation battle 😄

One of the Theories i have is that Ricotta will have her own game some time because there are too many unanswered questions sorrounding her. That and her going to Afroca iirc. We still gotta go there

3 hours ago, Armagon said:

Screenshot_7031.png?width=1313&height=41

Persona fans are the wildest mfers on the planet. THE GAME ISN'T EVEN OUT FOR A WHOLE YEAR BRO!

Persona 3 is a great game, and one that has a complicated, and compelling history with its conflicting definitive versions. It is an exciting announcement...

2 hours ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Making him talk could also lead to him becoming a worse character if not done right.

Why does this sound like a critique of Metroid: Other M (MOM for short)...

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

(Hero of Time also didn't emote much but tbf system limitations

Funny, as I distinctly remember the Hero of Time emoting quite a bit in game...

21 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

It's the same logic Dragon Quest and Atlus use. "The hero cannot speak -but only for as long as they're the main character." Both Dragon Quest V and X have scenes where you can find the Hero talking, flashbacks where they are just another NPC.

Only Pokemon had the guts to keep its silent protagonist, Red, silent in its sequel 😛

4 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Why does this sound like a critique of Metroid: Other M (MOM for short)...

Hah xD

I never played that game myself, so can't talk...but it's more that i lost alot of trust in Falcom's character writing in the last few years and so am afraid they turn a character i have been following through 8 games and enjoy alot into a boring or bad one.

Only Pokemon had the guts to keep its silent protagonist, Red, silent in its sequel 😛

The most epic dots in the history of fiction

Edited by Shrimpy -Limited Edition-

2 hours ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Making him talk could also lead to him becoming a worse character if not done right.

Oh yeah this happened to Samus in the infamous Other M (i didn't actually have a huge problem with that game's narrative like most people did).

Although Samus is in an interesting position because it's less that she's a silent protagonist and moreso there isn't anybody to talk with 99% of the time. In fact, the only three games she ever talks in is Fusion, Other M and Dread (weirdly she doesn't talk in Prime 3 when by all accounts she should).

32 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Now, how to keep the franchise momentum going?🤔 

I haven't a clue how to answer that.😅

Marie Remake next month.

18 minutes ago, Newtype06 said:

The 2000s-2010s anti-Japanese games racism is back, bros!

It never left. See: Elden Ring.

12 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Also, Old Adol can always do a game where he is too ill/injured to fight,

They have 80 year old Indiana Jones doing stunts, i'm sure they can do 80 year old Adol doing things. Especially because he is an anime protagonist.

13 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

@Newtype06 ???

I really don't see any racism there?

"Kingdom Hearts nonsense" is my guess.

6 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Persona 3 is a great game, and one that has a complicated, and compelling history with its conflicting definitive versions. It is an exciting announcement...

Yeah but the remake isn't out for like a whole year.

To compare, not even Tears of the Kingdom landed on the top "popular this month" list until after it came out.

7 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Funny, as I distinctly remember the Hero of Time emoting quite a bit in game...

He has like two expressions in-game: surprised and 

1264_original.jpg

4 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

I never played that game myself, so can't talk

But you have been exposed to the item acquisition sound that was ripped off from it.

Legit how did Falcom get away with it?

3 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Especially because he is an anime protagonist

He will become an eternal loli after heading to the north pole

That's how Falcom-chan in Neptunia exists

"Kingdom Hearts nonsense" is my guess

That's...well

Not what i'd call anti japanese racism lol.

Now i don't deny there's definetly some of that and that it never left, but that seems like a pretty bad example of it

17 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

@Newtype06 ???

I really don't see any racism there?

It ties back to the wider discussion that the game they thought was "Game of Thrones 2.0" is too japanese.

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

It never left. See: Elden Ring.

Elden Ring was praised to hell and back and won GOTY. People were sucking off FromSoft when it released. A better example would be, ironically, Xenoblade 3 (went home empty-handed).

15 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

3 minutes ago, Newtype06 said:

It ties back to the wider discussion that the game they thought was "Game of Thrones 2.0" is too japanese.

How dare a japenese game be too japanese!

I don't follow FF discussions much. All i see from the outside is usually either people praising it or the usual "why action want turns based" complaints

2 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

That's how Falcom-chan in Neptunia exists

But there's two of them...

1 minute ago, Newtype06 said:

Elden Ring was praised to hell and back and won GOTY. People were sucking off FromSoft when it released.

I know but it also had this going on

FNmAhfhX0AEWR3-.jpg

a0cc5660-9f96-4fa0-bde7-3d8d0ad4cc4a_789

FNaAdvwXIAE_xoM?format=jpg&name=medium

FNEmSEvXsAIFABX.png

Horizon and Ubisoft game devs on this last one

20 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Well, there was that time talking with Copycat Girl...

1 minute ago, Armagon said:

-pics-

I don't wanna hear about UI/Inventory design from western game designers/fans, especially RPG ones.

Dear god do i hate the inventory management in western RPGs

FNmAhfhX0AEWR3-.jpg

"sony_soldier"

lol

37 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

One of the Theories i have is that Ricotta will have her own game some time because there are too many unanswered questions sorrounding her. That and her going to Afroca iirc. We still gotta go there

Hmmm... Egypt is already in a thing in Ys, no?

Though for names of places of the Ancient/Classical world in Africa, we do have Carthage, later Numidia in North Africa. Sail up the Nile and we get to Nubia/Kush, sail further up the Nile to the ambiguous location called "Punt" likely somewhere in modern Ethiopia, which did have the notable kingdom called Axum/Aksum.

Going beyond the world known to Greece and Rome to Sub-Saharan Africa... I'm unfamiliar with what polities and cultures there in the classical era. But, Adol amidst savannah and African rainforest doesn't sound too bad.

32 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

And they preserved the "blanks out when defeat" thing when you when, did they not? Now that deserves praise!

22 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Marie Remake next month.

That's a return to the past, an act of modernization + preservation. I'm talking Project A25 -assuming I counted right. With Ryza getting graciously tossed into a barrel! of formaldehyde and placed on prominent display in a museum, what newborn homunculus shall replace her? Shall this next subject become the next phase towards creating the ultimate lifeform, or, shall it prove itself a failure and thrown without hesitation into the barrel! of alchemic waste to be dumped into the nearest landfill/river tomorrow morning?

*Ahem*

-Sales I mean, sales. Will A25 keep the sales in a positive direction?

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

Just now, Interdimensional Observer said:

Hmmm... Egypt is already in a thing in Ys, no?

in Ys 5 yes, as "Xandria". The only game of the older games yet to be remade.

Ys 7 was also in Afroca. Altago is not-Morocco iirc.

But Both of these are coastal places. Could go deeper!

3 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

I don't wanna hear about UI/Inventory design from western game designers/fans, especially RPG ones.

Dear god do i hate the inventory management in western RPGs

Elden Ring if it was made by Ubisoft

20220307-194505-header.jpg

1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

That's a return to the past, an act of modernization + preservation. I'm talking Project A25 -assuming I counted right.

That's the thing, Marie Remake is considered Project A25. We are officially following Fire Emblem rules in terms of numbering.

And, tbf, not only is it a game that's never been released outside of Japan prior but one that's being reworked from the ground up. Not unlike FF7R although the plot itself likely won't see any drastic changes haha.

2 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

in Ys 5 yes, as "Xandria". The only game of the older games yet to be remade.

Ys 7 was also in Afroca. Altago is not-Morocco iirc.

But Both of these are coastal places. Could go deeper!

Need him to go to Madagascar. There are penguins there for some reason.

31 minutes ago, Armagon said:

That's the thing, Marie Remake is considered Project A25. We are officially following Fire Emblem rules in terms of numbering.

Ooooh. Well, A26 then.😅

I personally still count a remake -even for a game the West never got- as different from something brand new. My sales & overall expectations for a franchise's future based on a given game, are lower for a pinch of nostalgia than they are for a totally new entry. Shadows of Valentia influences this personal perception.

31 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Need him to go to Madagascar. There are penguins there for some reason.

It is the world's fourth-largest island and 90% of the native species on the island are found only there. Deserves it if you ask me.

Curiously, the oldest native peoples of Madagascar didn't come from the African mainland, they sailed over from Borneo, over in archipelagic Southeast Asia. So not Polynesian -which are yet further east- but Oceanic and Southeast Asian peoples are distant relatives of the Malagasy in the Austronesian linguistic family.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

1 hour ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

I don't follow FF discussions much. All i see from the outside is usually either people praising it or the usual "why action want turns based" complaints

The action/turn based discourse is only among the core FF fanbase, these people who are picking up the series for the first time are complaining about the wildest things possible.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Elden Ring if it was made by Ubisoft

I wouldn't mind a map in DS3, ngl