Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

4 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

To be completely honest, that seems like you went looking really hard for a tiny vocal minority engaging in some nitpicking so you could go "look how people hate the game just because it's Japanese."

Sure, assholes exist everywhere and in all things. Didn't stop Elden Ring from getting GOTY, did it?

What made these examples notable is that you even had devs from notable Western studios jumping on it. It's one thing when FirstNameBunchofNumbers says a shitty racist opinion, it's another thing when devs of respected studios start doing it.

4 hours ago, Imuabicus der Fertige said:

the last big western release without a day 1 apology letter and performance patch was what... God of War 2?

Honestly I think it was.

If Spider-Man 2 gets the day 1 apology letter, it'll truly be over.

• Replies 179.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

Crow's line in CS I "come for the Bikini's, stay for the accidental exposure!" is a revelation in CS. They need to have more dialogue tailored towards that kind of stuff. XD

2 hours ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Fire Emblem

Fire Emblem's not the only Japanese game I play lol I meant here as in, generally the Japanosphere, not this specific site.

Though, quite frankly, this may come as a shock, but I don't really care where a game comes from. I half-joke about Japan because they have a series of very distinct habits that get into almost every game that comes from them and annoy me every time, but I don't look into a game's country of origin before I play or anything. I just see a game that interests me and I play it. I guess that's how I ended up here, in the end.

Heck, I actually have no idea what country Sifu was made, I just know I love it. I'm gonna say west because the multitude of female enemies aren't sexualized to hell and back, and while boss 3 is very Japan-themed and Japan loves its Japan-themed stuff, she's also a Kill Bill reference.

2 hours ago, Lightcosmo said:

There's no need to make EVERY enemy good at defence. XD

FE12 has its flaws, but its handling of enemy stat scaling is unrivaled in the series: Big offensive numbers, mediocre defensive numbers. The moment you crank up defenses, everything becomes sluggish and tedious. Exhibit one, you know which one.

1 hour ago, gnip said:

The terrible crime of liking something that I like but not for the same reasons, would be my guess. It seems reminiscent to the ol' "if people get into Awakening because anime bullshit, then future games will also be anime bullshit, so it is morally correct to bully the Awakening babies out of the fandom", except I guess this time anime bullshit is the old status quo? I don't really know the context, except Something Something Final Fantasy, apparently.

You either die an Awakening baby or you become the Elitist

More or less, I guess.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

What made these examples notable is that you even had devs from notable Western studios jumping on it. It's one thing when FirstNameBunchofNumbers says a shitty racist opinion, it's another thing when devs of respected studios start doing it.

I agree that game devs jumping on other games and publicly shredding them like they were regular Twitter users is pretty shit.

What I don't really see is... where's the racism? At no point did they bring up Japan, and Elden Ring isn't exactly an obscure cultural piece with an undeniably Japanese identity. It's a very international, extremely mainstream fantasy videogame that people all around the globe are going to scrutinize and, sometimes, criticize. So to say that people disparging the game's UI with zero reference to the game's country of origin is being racist against Japan comes dangerously close to "if you don't like the game I like you're a racist" territory.

1 hour ago, BrightBow said:

Wormtongue appreciates a good beard.

I like how the scene ends and he just continues handling the beard. At some point you'd think the king would go "thank you Grima, you can go now."

4 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

, but I don't really care where a game comes from. I half-joke about Japan because they have a series of very distinct habits that get into almost every game that comes from them and annoy me every time, but I don't look into a game's country of origin before I play or anything. I just see a game that interests me and I play it. I guess that's how I ended up here, in the end.

i mean

same

i just want to have fun

7 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Heck, I actually have no idea what country Sifu was made, I just know I love it. I'm gonna say west because the multitude of female enemies aren't sexualized to hell and back, and while boss 3 is very Japan-themed and Japan loves its Japan-themed stuff, she's also a Kill Bill reference.

Made by a French studio.

22 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Made by a French studio.

France, huh.

Yeah, should've figured. France doesn't produce that much that makes the international sphere, but when they do, it's bonafide shit. Except David Cage, he could've stayed in France.

5 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

France doesn't produce that much that makes the international sphere, but when they do, it's bonafide shit.

Exporting la révolution was quite successful for a couple decades.

All right, that's Sifu beat. Eight long years, and then the final boss just... sort of unceremoniously flopped after taking a red background punch.

10/10 great game, great game. Now to play more. The game wants to make it crystal clear you're not done when you're done, so you unlock goals after beating the final boss. Basically, ingame achievements that give you money with which to buy cheats and modifiers. Also I believe I've an ending I haven't gotten and... shit this game's just so much fucking fun. I gotta play more.

8 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

It will always be Teehee. Always.

8 hours ago, GuardianSing said:

Teehee

6 hours ago, Lightcosmo said:

d27d40493e73379418ef3e15a71fdbb3.png

Agreed! ❤️

Teehee has been put to the sword like the venomous adder it always was!

5 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

We're chatty now.

5 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Yeah, he's in denial.

Nay, Acacia Sgt! Look into thine heart and thou shalt see the worship long denied to thee!

Edited by Sidereal Wraith

4 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

What I don't really see is... where's the racism? At no point did they bring up Japan, and Elden Ring isn't exactly an obscure cultural piece with an undeniably Japanese identity. It's a very international, extremely mainstream fantasy videogame that people all around the globe are going to scrutinize and, sometimes, criticize. So to say that people disparging the game's UI with zero reference to the game's country of origin is being racist against Japan comes dangerously close to "if you don't like the game I like you're a racist" territory.

Yeah they weren't like explicitly saying it but it did feel at least a little bit racially motivated, especially when surrounded by other people doing it. Cause like I don't remember seeing something like this happen to other games recently. Oh wait, that's right, the original God of War creator went off on Metroid for the dumbest of reasons.

Led to people showing off the anti-Japanese sentiment of the 7th gen. Reviews from those old gaming TV channels that basically went "oh Japan you are so silly and wacky and not worth our time".

48 minutes ago, Imuabicus der Fertige said:

but can you throw slightly stale baguettes at enemies

Considering I couldn't tell the game was French until I was told, well... there's your answer!

13 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Yeah they weren't like explicitly saying it but it did feel at least a little bit racially motivated, especially when surrounded by other people doing it. Cause like I don't remember seeing something like this happen to other games recently. Oh wait, that's right, the original God of War creator went off on Metroid for the dumbest of reasons.

Led to people showing off the anti-Japanese sentiment of the 7th gen. Reviews from those old gaming TV channels that basically went "oh Japan you are so silly and wacky and not worth our time".

Fair enough. It still seems like a vocal minority to me (and thank goodness for that), but I could be wrong. I don't really frequent Twitter, who knows what goes on there really. There could even be Berwick Saga haters there. Or Sifu haters.

Edited by Saint Rubenio