Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

13 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Ah, beta material. Sometimes the visual rough edges jar at me, but I do find it all so fascinating just the same!šŸ˜ƒ

Judging from the rest of the video- Cianwood seems to have been less important originally? A Gym at the Lake of Rage means there had to have been one less elsewhere, and everywhere else that had one (minus Azalea, interesting the existence of a scrapped town near it). Cianwood gained a Gym but they removed the Goldenrod approach, making Not-Kyushu kinda disjointed to reach.

Apparently, Cianwood did not exist originally. Thus Routes 40 and 41 connected Olivine with Goldenrod. It seems once they added Cianwood, they removed the town at the Lake of Rage.

Not Kyushu, Cianwood is in what would be Shikoku.

Shrinking the size of Johto's towns... was it really necessary? The hollowed-out Kanto was fitted into the game, but was this after the downsizing of Johto or before it? My feeling Kanto got tossed in towards the end of development, presumably after Johto was fully finished.

If I recall, yes, it was at the tail end of development that they considered if they could add Kanto, then did the work to make it possible (thanks to Iwata, if I recall).

Where are the balls of grilled Octillery?

Cherrygrove is Nagoya? That doesn't sound right to me. One of Japan's biggest cities ...and it got relegated to being a stepping-stone town, without as much as a Gym.

That's how it is in the source code, yes. A curious decision, nonetheless.

12 minutes ago, Sooks said:

ā€¦Iā€™m now wondering if thereā€™s ever been a single playable FE army without a child soldier. Pretty sure Linde counts in fe1/11, Delthea in Echoes and presumably fe2, Jubelo and Juliya in fe3/12 definitely count, we have all those from fe4 for Sigurd and Seliph has Julia who is under 18 I think, pretty sure Roy is under 18 in fe6 (even if not Chad, Lugh, and Lilina are pretty sus), in fe7 thereā€™s Rebecca and Nino (apparently Erk is said/implied to be 15 in supports?), fe8 has the trainees, Rolf and Mist in fe9, fe13 has Lissa but like look at Ricken and Donnel, fe14 has Elise and Sakura + Kana for gen 2 (and many others), 3H has Lysithea and Cyril, Engage has Clanne and Frammeā€¦ Jesus. I havenā€™t played fe5 or fe10, someone please tell me one of those armies doesnā€™t have a child. I mean I know thereā€™s the memes but I didnā€™t stop to think every one has a child. I didnā€™t even have to include the ā€œackshually, Iā€™m 738,637,827,279!ā€ characters.

I mean, maybe Sigurd considered puberty the threshold, as it was historically. The concept of teenagehood is relatively new, after all. Thus Anna, who is still younger than even Dew, would not qualify as "no longer a child" for him.

Maria is a better fit than Linde, but yes.

Roy is 15 (as well as Lilina). Yes, Erk is 15 too.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

• Replies 180.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

To complete.

Thracia has Leif himself being 15 (turning 16 during the game), Nanna, Asvel, Tina, Linoan, Lara, Sara, maybe some others I may be forgetting. Who are all 15 or under.

Radiant Dawn has 13 year old Sanaki.

35 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Ā 

ā€¦Iā€™m now wondering if thereā€™s ever been a single playable FE army without a child soldier.

This reminds me of my old answer from the youngest character thread...

Ā 

Maria (FE1 and Shadow Dragon) - Age ??? No real source, she just looks like the youngest character, and the few canon sources for these characters from this game are all too old to be in this competition.

Delthea (Gaiden and Echoes) - Age 13 Echoes internal data.

Yumina and Yubello (Mystery of the Emblem and New Mystery of the Emblem) - Age 13/14 Or Age 12? these twin brother and sister are stated to be 13-14 from an ingame quote from one of the random houses in chapter 1, and the uncertainty in the quote does call its accuracy into some question. The novelization sets them at age 12, although one could argue it is a less canon source

Corple (Genealogy of the Holy War) - Age 10? This source is rather sketchy, but that is the age of Corple in Kaga's dream scenario of Genealogy of the Holy War generation 2.

Sara (Thracia 776) - Age 12 From an official Nintendo of Japan site on Thracia 776.

Lugh and Ray (Binding Blade) Age 13-ish These two are twin brothers, and in Lugh's supports with Elen he states he is two years younger than Roy, who is officially age 15.

Nino (Blazing Blade) Age 14Ā  She say she is this age in her support with Canas

Ewan/Amelia/Ross (Sacred Stones) - Age ??? There is very little information on the canon ages of Sacred Stones characters, although one of the three trainee units is very clearly the youngest. Personally I think Ewan looks like the youngest, but it is hard to tell.

Rolf (Path of Radiance) Age 12? - The closest we get to a source for this is from art books, which claim they designed him with an apparent age of 12 in Path of Radiance, and 15 in Radiant Dawn. Note he is a standard Human/Beorc, so apparant age isn't as sketchy as a Dragon (or in Tellius canon, Laguz or Branded characters)

Sanaki (Radiant Dawn) Age 13 This is stated ingame in Part 1-7

Ricken/Donnel (Awakening)-Ā  Age ??? They seem to be the youngest of the Shepard, which would make them younger than Lissa's age of 15 in act one, but nothing really definitive. Personally, it looks like Ricken is younger, but it is clearly one of these two

Kana (Fates) - Age ??? Another game with very little canon information on character ages, but they blatantly look like the youngest characters in Fates, even looking younger than miss "technically an adult"

Cyril (Three Houses) - Age 14 I forget where they revealed all the Three Houses character's canon ages, but they did.

It was before Engage, which adds

Jean (Engage) - Age 10, from internal data, with a special mention of the age 11 Anna...

3 minutes ago, Armchair General said:

Probably 3 Hopes, at the rate things are going.Ā 

Lysithea should be under 18 in that one, I believe (does she join all armies?)

2 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Jean (Engage) - Age 10, from internal data, with a special mention of the age 11 Anna...

Reject Engage internal data, I refuse to believe there are people who think Saphir is what a 35 year old looks like

13 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Not Kyushu, Cianwood is in what would be Shikoku.

The feeling of being so distant (blame water routes) must've done this to me. Kyushu = Hoenn, how did I forget that?

Do I lose my mild Japanophile certification now?šŸ˜…

21 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Apparently, Cianwood did not exist originally. Thus Routes 40 and 41 connected Olivine with Goldenrod. It seems once they added Cianwood, they removed the town at the Lake of Rage.

The Lake of Rage didn't exactly need a town I think. You can find plenty of examples of "Gym towns too close to each other" in Pokemon, see Olivine-Ecruteak-Mahogany for an in-region example (Olivine Lighthouse and Team Rocket stuff are mandatory manmade in-town filler to compensate I concede), but that doesn't quite excuse them. Relegating the LoR to a scenic locale I'd say was to Johto's benefit, considering Mt. Mortar is strangely wholly optional, not exactly fun, and kinda forgettable.

9 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The feeling of being so distant (blame water routes) must've done this to me. Kyushu = Hoenn, how did I forget that?

Do I lose my mild Japanophile certification now?šŸ˜…

Maybe?

9 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The Lake of Rage didn't exactly need a town I think. You can find plenty of examples of "Gym towns too close to each other" in Pokemon, see Olivine-Ecruteak-Mahogany for an in-region example (Olivine Lighthouse and Team Rocket stuff are mandatory manmade in-town filler to compensate I concede), but that doesn't quite excuse them. Relegating the LoR to a scenic locale I'd say was to Johto's benefit, considering Mt. Mortar is strangely wholly optional, not exactly fun, and kinda forgettable.

Well, we don't know the original plan, but perhaps Mahogany GYM could've been blocked ala Saffron GYM until you drive the Rockets out. Or perhaps Lake of Rage Town GYM (which would've been Otsu, as the lake is meant to be Lake Biwa) also needed to clear the hideout before access. Thus giving you some room between GYMs despite how close they are to each other.

Today I have experienced the worst type of rude customer: asshole Dubai millionaire. Bro got $400 worth of clothing, wanted to hagle for $200. Then tried scamming the manager by pretending to give him the required cash. When manager caught him in the act, tried to backtrack saying "give me refund I pay by card" (our store has a no refund policy). In the end, we forced him to pay the full price in cash, cause the register had already been set. Throughout all of this he was essentially trying to bark orders at us.

I will turn Dubai into glass. Fakest city on the planet, which is saying a lot when Pyongyang exists.

4 hours ago, Sooks said:

School starts tomorrow. For some reason I canā€™t help but think of a game screenshot thatā€¦ Armagon? posted from Atelier? where a character talks about feeling a mixture of nervousness and excitement Ā and that happening less as you get older. I always used to hate this feeling and just wanna get it over with, and Iā€™m not 100% sure Iā€™ll miss when Iā€™m older and I rarely if ever have big events to feel this way aboutā€¦ but still. Maybe itā€™s not a 100% bad feeling. Nothing I can do but prepare for the coming year, anyhow.

I remember wanting to get school over with but looking back, those were simpler times.

3 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

It seems like they made the announcement from the official NoA account. I went on Google and all the newsletters have jumped on it so I imagine the account must be the correct one.

It really is the end of an era. This man did the most iconic performance in videogames, period.

Now I'm wondering about Wonder. The people who claimed that Mario's voice in the trailer sounded off might not have been far off the mark after all, considering the timing. Perhaps the voice in Wonder is off because he just can't get it right anymore, and discovering this is what led to his retirement. Either way, this has been coming for a while - even way back in Luigi's Mansion 3 his Loogi sounded a bit like he had a cold. Not that it took away from how much fun his performances in that game were, but his voice was definitely a little weird.

Yeah recording for the game was probably done so Martinet isn't voicing for Wonder. Wish him luck in what he does next but damn, the new guy will have some serious shoes to fill.

....also I thought Martinet died when I read the first line lmao.

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Samus's adventures sorta feel like they could realistically happen within a day.

But also the entire Prime trilogy is set between Zero Mission and Samus Returns.

1 hour ago, Sooks said:

Reject Engage internal data, I refuse to believe there are people who think Saphir is what a 35 year old looks like

Tbh, one of the managers at my store looks like he's 75 but he's only 56.

12 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Yeah recording for the game was probably done so Martinet isn't voicing for Wonder. Wish him luck in what he does next but damn, the new guy will have some serious shoes to fill.

Do we know for sure he already has a replacement? I somehow doubt they'd need one, they must haveĀ  cache of Mario noises lying around. At the same time, though, "wowie zowie" is probably not one of them lol, the only other time that's ever come up is Luigi's Mansion 3.

3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Do we know for sure he already has a replacement? I somehow doubt they'd need one, they must haveĀ  cache of Mario noises lying around. At the same time, though, "wowie zowie" is probably not one of them lol, the only other time that's ever come up is Luigi's Mansion 3.

Worst(?) case scenario, it's AI-generated voice-over from now on.

4 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I wouldn't even be surprised. Mario is a big name and I'd expect it'd go with an accordingly big number. That way they don't have to pay an actor.

10 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Depending on how long ago they did recording, AI generated voice overs hadn't really taken off yet.

29 minutes ago, Armagon said:

>Want something different for lunch (didn't bring my own today)

>Pasta Alfredo from the Italian place

>Oh no, I didn't realize the plate would be that big

>Help

Canā€™t you get a box?

35 minutes ago, Armagon said:

>Want something different for lunch (didn't bring my own today)

>Pasta Alfredo from the Italian place

>Oh no, I didn't realize the plate would be that big

>Help

Well, in the words of Alfred, big muscles require big meals! I'm sure he said something like that at some point of his life. Probably.

17 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Do not invoke that name in my presence. Lest it be accompanied by the sequence of letters, "H-A-N-N-E-M-A-N"

I mean like Hanneman more so go ahead

y0qicNk.jpg

Wheee!

Two archers, one melee guy (Loghain) and one mage with a staff actually works pretty well against the Archdemon. It's nice to be able to spread out pretty far against these big, AoE-using bosses. Plus, there's this whole phase of the fight where it fucks off out of your melee range and bombards you while you're swarmed by (mostly) very weak darkspawn.

NEJnX6Y.jpg

And I'm sure this request will have absolutely zero negative repercussions.

ZMnZJWU.jpg

(whoops)

I know that Cullen plays a bigger role in DA2 and/or DA:I, as one of the "good guys", even, so that shapes up to be... interesting.

St20Keh.jpg

And I can't leave unmentioned that Shale turned out to be The Best from start to finish. I like how she really manages to communicate a certain respect towards the player character without ever stopping the sass. Heck, I think she called my heroofferelden "you" instead of "it" exactly two times. Favourite companion, ahead of Sten.

Other than that...

• Alistair seemed to have gotten over the whole "let Loghain become a Warden" thing pretty quickly. His dialogue in the epilogue was a little... reserved, I guess, but far from the very vocal anger when you last see him at the Landsmeet.
  • Shale actually wants to see if there's a way to un-golem herself again, and will travel to Tevinter with Wynne to see if the mages there know a way.
  • Turns out that Harrowmont actually sucks at being a king. Whoops. Curious what the epilogue says about Orzammar if you help out Bhelen instead. Also, helping that dwarven cleric to set up a church chantry leads to religious violence, said dwarven cleric to be killed in it, and the church chantry contemplating a crusade. Whoops.

cbQPTgF.jpg

I'm curious how @Saint Rubenio handled this part. Did Loghain have to put out? If not, who died? I must say that the "Quickly! You must have sex with me to save your life!" made me laugh pretty hard, but since I played through Morrigan's romance, this wouldn't have been a tough choice for my Heroofferelden.

I did end up liking Morrigan's character, actually, despite her stupid-horny outfit. A complete bitch, thanks to the "values" that her adoptive (?) mother instilled into her, who thinks she's a lot better at manipulating people than she actually is. Completely out of her depth when somebody is being genuine (gasp!) with her, to which she often, but not always, reacts with hostile snarkiness. I really like her VA's read of her reaction to heroofferelden saying, "thank you for rescuing us" right after the Ostagar disaster - something along the lines of "Er... um... well, actually my mother did most of it...". You can absolutely tell that she can count on one hand the times she has recieved any sort of positive reinforcement. Like, I'm pretty sure I couldn't stand an actual IRL "Morrigan" person, especially if I didn't know about her upbringing, but as a character, she's actually a pretty well-written example of how an abused person can become rather abusive herself, and maybe even how acts of kindness (and in this regard, I kinda wish I hadn't gone with a romance, so that there wouldn't have been the potential "trying to get in her pants" interpretation of those acts) can soften that.

I still wish she could tone down the social darwinism a few notches. It tends to loop over to "comedically sociopathic" at times.