Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

11 minutes ago, Sooks said:

I mean like Hanneman more so go ahead

Whoop whoop!

6 minutes ago, gnip said:

Curious what the epilogue says about Orzammar if you help out Bhelen instead.

As a recall, he's a bit of a tyrant but actually good for the country. 06 loves to rub it in my face that I fixed the country by trying to be a dick. I say I still genocided a species of elves and Alistair.

I'm curious how @Saint Rubenio handled this part. Did Loghain have to put out? If not, who died? I must say that the "Quickly! You must have sex with me to save your life!" made me laugh pretty hard, but since I played through Morrigan's romance, this wouldn't have been a tough choice for my Heroofferelden.

I made Loghain fuck Morrigan. That was by far the funniest option. The guy looked like he'd rather have been slowly tortured to death back at the Landsmeet rather than be made to go through that shit. But make him I did.

I did end up liking Morrigan's character, actually, despite her stupid-horny outfit. A complete bitch, thanks to the "values" that her adoptive (?) mother instilled into her, who thinks she's a lot better at manipulating people than she actually is. Completely out of her depth when somebody is being genuine (gasp!) with her, to which she often, but not always, reacts with hostile snarkiness. I really like her VA's read of her reaction to heroofferelden saying, "thank you for rescuing us" right after the Ostagar disaster - something along the lines of "Er... um... well, actually my mother did most of it...". You can absolutely tell that she can count on one hand the times she has recieved any sort of positive reinforcement. Like, I'm pretty sure I couldn't stand an actual IRL "Morrigan" person, especially if I didn't know about her upbringing, but as a character, she's actually a pretty well-written example of how an abused person can become rather abusive herself, and maybe even how acts of kindness (and in this regard, I kinda wish I hadn't gone with a romance, so that there wouldn't have been the potential "trying to get in her pants" interpretation of those acts) can soften that.

I still wish she could tone down the social darwinism a few notches. It tends to loop over to "comedically sociopathic" at times.

I did grow fonder of Morrigan than I would've expected when I was forced to mod her outfit into something presentable. It was kind of accidental, since I benched her ass without a second thought the second Wynne joined, but then Wynne suffered a tragic accident so I had to welcome Morrigan back in and hastily train her in the healing arts. She was decently fun, not my favorite character but less horrid than I'd have expected from first impressions.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

• Replies 180.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Do we know for sure he already has a replacement? I somehow doubt they'd need one, they must have  cache of Mario noises lying around. At the same time, though, "wowie zowie" is probably not one of them lol, the only other time that's ever come up is Luigi's Mansion 3.

"Character voice actors for Mario and/or Luigi in Super Mario Bros. Wonder will be credited in the game credits, so please wait for the game to be released."

https://www.eurogamer.net/nintendo-says-charles-martinet-no-longer-video-game-voice-of-mario

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

I will turn Dubai into glass. Fakest city on the planet, which is saying a lot when Pyongyang exists.

The power of petro-wealth. Desert coastline that shouldn't ever have been so drastically built up, made so in a few decades radical to those who lived through them, thanks to the course of technological civilization and the good fortune of geography from eons ago. 

Of course it looks fake, or "nouveau riche" perhaps. New money can be pretty tasteless. China in the past few decades has experienced its own monumental modern urban infrastructural boom, some of which may age gracefully into their cityscapes, some of them and their gaudy designs will rust away unloved and forgotten.

47 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Well, in the words of Alfred, big muscles require big meals! I'm sure he said something like that at some point of his life. Probably.

Actually, the story goes (in 1908) he -Alfredo Di Lelio- served it up plate of the pasta dish for his post-pregnancy wife, as a way of treating her nausea, she loved it. It was his wife who later suggested he put it on his restaurant's menu in Rome in 1914, Alfredo seems to have hesitated at the thought.

In truth, Alfredo did not invent the pasta dish for which he is named. In Italy, nobody refers to it "Fettuccine Alfredo", the proper Italian name is Fettuccine al Burro -"Fettuccine with Butter". It has been around since, like, whenever pasta was invented (or at least by the 1400s). It's Italian comfort food (that is indeed often eaten when feeling ill) just noodles, butter, and cheese, nothing fancy. So easy, one alternative name for the dish translates as "Cuckold's Pasta". The folktale being when the husband's away, the wife plays all day having multiple affairs, and when the unsuspecting husband is about to come home she hastily & lazily tosses some together some butter pasta. So simple, so easy, nothing worth serving in a fine-dining establishment.

...Unless you're foreigners who have no idea that pasta with butter & cheese is extremely rudimentary! Alfredo had a bunch of uneducated American celebrities come waltzing into his restaurant in the 1920s and they fell in love with his noodles. They also fell in love with Alfredo himself, he was very charming, charismatic, a celebrity chef who would personally come over to your table fork and spoon in hand and mix the pasta-cheese-butter together right in front of you. He was so loved two famed American actors on their honeymoon gave him a gold fork & spoon, which the Fascists later confiscated no matter how much begged them. -But it turned out the utensils were only gold-plated, so they were returned to Alfredo the next day (he continued to insist they were solid gold). He came to enjoy cheerily calling himself "the King of the Fettuccine"

WWII and the immediate aftermath were bad for business, so Alfredo sold his restaurant to his employees in 1946 ...only for tourism to rebound in Italy a littler later. And old, internationally-beloved Alfredo loved the spotlight so he opened a new restaurant in 1950 (he lived into the 1960s). The second was called Il Vero Alfredo -"The True Alfredo", b/c many copycats had opened ristorantes using his name, and because the old name and establishment now belonged to his former employees. His new shindig was only about a seven-minute walk from his original place, and both of the Alfredos are still in business to this day owned by the same families as back then, they're friendly rivals of course.

There is also no cream in Alfredo's version, just butter, cheese (freshly-grated parmesan ofc), and some pasta water (apparently real Italian restaurants use the same water for all the orders, so it gets REALLY starchy). Maybe American eateries added the heavy cream b/c it keeps the sauce together easier and longer or they go cheap on the parmesan's quality or something, corner-cutting basically.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

In a bold move, Nintendo will cast Vinny Vinesauce as the new voice of Mario and Luigi.

I was thinking Super Mario Bros. Wonder would be Martinet's last hurrah but apparently he's not involved with that game. I'm glad he's staying involved with the series however. Personally, I was half expecting Nintendo to keep using his existing voice clips for the next decade or so.

On 8/18/2023 at 9:09 PM, Sooks said:

Actually I’ve been somewhat spoiled on this, I THINK I know who it is but it doesn’t make any sense at the same time

I'll leave you to ponder the subject then. I was very surprised when C turned out to be Miles Edgeworth, but in hindsight I think he gave it away when he told Rean "You are not a clown. You are the entire circus."

Another thing I was quite surprised by was when Mecha Mishy turned out to be a major antagonist.

Umbjwfp.jpg

Just now, Interdimensional Observer said:

"Character voice actors for Mario and/or Luigi in Super Mario Bros. Wonder will be credited in the game credits, so please wait for the game to be released."

Thank you for the confirmation. The and/or part is interesting.

1 minute ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Fettuccine al Burro

Hahahahaha! Butter in Italian is the same as Spanish for donkey! That's funny!

7 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

So simple, so easy, nothing worth serving in a fine-dining establishment.

...Unless you're foreigners who have no idea that pasta with butter & cheese is extremely rudimentary! Alfredo had a bunch of uneducated American celebrities come waltzing into his restaurant in the 1920s and they fell in love with his noodles.

I mean, looking at American cuisine...

5 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

He was so loved two famed American actors on their honeymoon gave him a gold fork & spoon, which the Fascists later confiscated no matter how much begged them. -But it turned out the utensils were only gold-plated, so they were returned to Alfredo the next day (he continued to insist they were solid gold)

That has to be the funniest story to ever involve XXth century fascists.

Like, that's fucking hilarious. I hope the last thing Mussolini was thinking while they eviscerated him to death was "damn I really wanted a golden spoon."

3 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

In a bold move, Nintendo will cast Vinny Vinesauce as the new voice of Mario and Luigi.

I always found Joel is better at the Martinet voices. Vinny's a master of the meme voices though.

Just now, Lightchao42 said:

I'm glad he's staying involved with the series however.

I expect this "Mario ambassador" thing will just be a symbolic role, he'll probably go to events, be like "hey it's me, OG voice!" and make a couple of wahoos. Possibly done out of respect for him or even on his request. The man's been performing the role half his life and he clearly adores it, it probably would've broken his heart to just let go.

Just now, Lightchao42 said:

Personally, I was half expecting Nintendo to keep using his existing voice clips for the next decade or so.

Yeah, I'm honestly surprised they're already replacing him. They might need a pair of wowie-zowies since everyone loved it in Loogi's Mansion 3 but otherwise I'd thought it'd still be legacy wahoos and hoohoos for a while.

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

As a recall, he's a bit of a tyrant but actually good for the country. 06 loves to rub it in my face that I fixed the country by trying to be a dick. I say I still genocided a species of elves and Alistair.

You(r Quoteherounquoteofferelden) and Shale really would get along just swimmingly. Commiting a bit of genocide so that nobody thinks that she might maybe be nice sounds very much like something that Shale would do. Or say that she would do. I suspect that the only genocide she'd actually commit is against pidgeons.

2 minutes ago, gnip said:

You(r Quoteherounquoteofferelden) and Shale really would get along just swimmingly. Commiting a bit of genocide so that nobody thinks that she might maybe be nice sounds very much like something that Shale would do. Or say that she would do. I suspect that the only genocide she'd actually commit is against pidgeons.

Yeah, and then she'd chicken out when Quoteherounquoteofferelden actually went ahead and genocided. In fact, I don't think anyone would get along "swimmingly" with my Quoteherounquoteofferelden. Most would be afraid. She's even worse than some other characters I've played, because sometimes she did do some kind acts whenever I chickened out. She's just completely unpredictable.

...Well, except for Zevran. I'm not entirely sure what Zevran's deal was. Maybe he was an avid reader of the Ugly Bastard tag growing up and decided not to pass up on a chance to make his dreams reality even when the other party roped him into committing genocide.

2 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Engage's biggest weakpoint (aside from the DLC):

Not enough chapters. I need another 50 engage style chapters

Too much went into the Paralogues, I suppose.

8 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Engage's biggest weakpoint (aside from the DLC):

Not enough chapters. I need another 50 engage style chapters

...On this, we differ. I stan games that don't overstay their welcome. Covenant of the Plume

49 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

I'll leave you to ponder the subject then. I was very surprised when C turned out to be Miles Edgeworth, but in hindsight I think he gave it away when he told Rean "You are not a clown. You are the entire circus."

Noooo you’re stealing my tricks now. I’ve failed.

49 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

Another thing I was quite surprised by was when Mecha Mishy turned out to be a major antagonist.

Umbjwfp.jpg

Mecha Mishy was an archaism all along.

41 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Yeah, I'm honestly surprised they're already replacing him. They might need a pair of wowie-zowies since everyone loved it in Loogi's Mansion 3 but otherwise I'd thought it'd still be legacy wahoos and hoohoos for a while.

Plot twist: Mario Wonder contains a sprawling storyline with fully voice acted cutscenes before and after every level, explaining in detail the politics and lore of the Mushroom Kingdom as well as the circumstances surrounding each level.

12 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

.On this, we differ. I stan games that don't overstay their welcome.

Thank you Ruben. I kiss you on the forehead.

Aside from the game having too many loading screens, the thing keeping me back from replaying Engage is how long it is. Given all the paralogues, that's a lot of chapters to go through, and the total playtime adds up to numbers im not quite comfortable having in my games. More content isn't always better, even if saud content is good. 

19 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

...On this, we differ. I stan games that don't overstay their welcome. Covenant of the Plume

Isn’t that an SRPG you mentioned before? What, is it super short?

48 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I mean, looking at American cuisine...

I will defend the pure deliciousness of butter and cheese alike to the death. And it is butter and cheese which shall kill me.

...I get where you're coming from.😛 Won't stop me from eating the lifespan-shortening junk.

9 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Plot twist: Mario Wonder contains a sprawling storyline with fully voice acted cutscenes before and after every level, explaining in detail the politics and lore of the Mushroom Kingdom as well as the circumstances surrounding each level.

Please. I want to be able to make bad choices and get everyone killed except Luigi, whom I'll protect with my life.

6 minutes ago, Shaky Jones said:

Thank you Ruben. I kiss you on the forehead.

How would being kissed by a skeleton even feel? You don't have lips!

6 minutes ago, Shaky Jones said:

Aside from the game having too many loading screens, the thing keeping me back from replaying Engage is how long it is. Given all the paralogues, that's a lot of chapters to go through, and the total playtime adds up to numbers im not quite comfortable having in my games. More content isn't always better, even if saud content is good. 

After all this time, I really think I ought to keep Engage high from how much fun I had in my first run, but... yeah, for me it doesn't have great replayability just because it's just too much. Unless I skip all the paralogues going forward, I can't see myself replaying it often.

Just now, Sooks said:

Isn’t that an SRPG you mentioned before?

It's one of my favorite games. Period. Would you like to hear more?

Just now, Sooks said:

What, is it super short?

A run lasts somewhere between 10-12 hours. Except, there's three routes, and the natural progression, in my opinion, is to do them consecutively as you improve at the game and need to rely on the titular plume's powers less. So the shorter length lends itself really well to three consecutive runs, leaving you with just the right amount of fulfillment by the end of them.

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I will defend the pure deliciousness of butter and cheese alike to the death. And it is butter and cheese which shall kill me.

...I get where you're coming from.😛 Won't stop me from eating the lifespan-shortening junk.

Oh, I get it. But like, where's the complicated dishes with the (optional) unpronounceable names? Every country worth its salt should have a couple o' those.

I'd say, I'm also one to not replay Engage any time soon. Not from the beginning at least. Will happily pick up from my save file any time, however.

4 hours ago, Sooks said:

Can’t you get a box?

I did.

4 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Actually, the story goes (in 1908) he -Alfredo Di Lelio- served it up plate of the pasta dish for his post-pregnancy wife, as a way of treating her nausea, she loved it. It was his wife who later suggested he put it on his restaurant's menu in Rome in 1914, Alfredo seems to have hesitated at the thought.

In truth, Alfredo did not invent the pasta dish for which he is named. In Italy, nobody refers to it "Fettuccine Alfredo", the proper Italian name is Fettuccine al Burro -"Fettuccine with Butter". It has been around since, like, whenever pasta was invented (or at least by the 1400s). It's Italian comfort food (that is indeed often eaten when feeling ill) just noodles, butter, and cheese, nothing fancy. So easy, one alternative name for the dish translates as "Cuckold's Pasta". The folktale being when the husband's away, the wife plays all day having multiple affairs, and when the unsuspecting husband is about to come home she hastily & lazily tosses some together some butter pasta. So simple, so easy, nothing worth serving in a fine-dining establishment.

...Unless you're foreigners who have no idea that pasta with butter & cheese is extremely rudimentary! Alfredo had a bunch of uneducated American celebrities come waltzing into his restaurant in the 1920s and they fell in love with his noodles. They also fell in love with Alfredo himself, he was very charming, charismatic, a celebrity chef who would personally come over to your table fork and spoon in hand and mix the pasta-cheese-butter together right in front of you. He was so loved two famed American actors on their honeymoon gave him a gold fork & spoon, which the Fascists later confiscated no matter how much begged them. -But it turned out the utensils were only gold-plated, so they were returned to Alfredo the next day (he continued to insist they were solid gold). He came to enjoy cheerily calling himself "the King of the Fettuccine"

WWII and the immediate aftermath were bad for business, so Alfredo sold his restaurant to his employees in 1946 ...only for tourism to rebound in Italy a littler later. And old, internationally-beloved Alfredo loved the spotlight so he opened a new restaurant in 1950 (he lived into the 1960s). The second was called Il Vero Alfredo -"The True Alfredo", b/c many copycats had opened ristorantes using his name, and because the old name and establishment now belonged to his former employees. His new shindig was only about a seven-minute walk from his original place, and both of the Alfredos are still in business to this day owned by the same families as back then, they're friendly rivals of course.

There is also no cream in Alfredo's version, just butter, cheese (freshly-grated parmesan ofc), and some pasta water (apparently real Italian restaurants use the same water for all the orders, so it gets REALLY starchy). Maybe American eateries added the heavy cream b/c it keeps the sauce together easier and longer or they go cheap on the parmesan's quality or something, corner-cutting basically.

This a good history lesson, thank you.

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Oh, I get it. But like, where's the complicated dishes with the (optional) unpronounceable names? Every country worth its salt should have a couple o' those.

Behold

Turducken_easter06.jpg

the turducken. A (deboned obviously) chicken stuffed into a duck stuffed into a turkey. Because we didn't ask if we should.

32 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Symphony of War spoilers

Hide contents

RtK8nj1.pngLBqbQwc.png

86e.png

Why is he dabbing?

>Log onto Canvas

>Signed up for four classes this term

>Only three showed up

>Can't log in to MyUCF to confirm my classes because things are down

>Go to the uni's subreddit, turns out some professors just don't publish the classes on day one

Bruh

11 minutes ago, Armagon said:

This a good history lesson, thank you.

You're welcome!

12 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Behold

Turducken_easter06.jpg

the turducken. A (deboned obviously) chicken stuffed into a duck stuffed into a turkey. Because we didn't ask if we should.

TBF, it's less America created Frankenstein, more that we accidentally resurrected a fragment of an ancient dark god.

High-Late Medieval Europe (circa 1300s) had something called a "Cockentrice" (also "Cokagrys"). You take a capon (castrated rooster) and a small/suckling pig, you cut them both in half, and then you stitch together the front half of one and the back half of the other. Leave an opening to fill your cockentrice with some bread stuffing, then lastly seal it, throw it over a spit over an open fire. Shortly before it's finished cooking, liberally brush on egg yolks mixed with herbs and spices, especially saffron b/c Medieval folk loved that bright yellow color b/c saffron was expensive and nothing feels as good as flaunting your wealth. If it isn't golden enough for you, add gold foil.

The cockentrice wasn't about flavor. Eat pig if you want pig, eat chicken if you want chicken, taking the extra step of sewing them together does nothing for the tastebuds. It looks weird, which might be entertaining. And as with the heavy use of saffron and spices in general in Medieval cuisine -elite cuisine of course- it was more about literal conspicuous consumption 💰🍽️. It's also why it calls for a capon and not a chicken, maybe they were somewhat more available back then, but castrated roosters aren't as commonplace a regular chicken.

The cockentrice wasn't the worst of it even. There was plenty of food intended solely to awe in Europe from Late Medieval  going as late as the early 1800s. The French Roti Sans Pareil- "Roast Without Equal" comes at the very end of these centuries of nonsensical food, and consists of the following.:

Screen-Shot-2023-08-21-at-10-08-41-PM.pngScreen-Shot-2023-08-21-at-10-09-26-PM.pngScreen-Shot-2023-08-21-at-10-10-03-PM.png

17 steps total. Chestnuts, bacon, and ground meat would be stuffed between each additional bird, and the whole thing would be stewed in herbs and vegetables.

Got a sudden thought.

The original layout of Routes 40 and 41, with connecting Olivine and Goldenrod, almost seem like it has no point, since it'd be faster to return to Ecruteak through Route 39 than making a roundabout. Unless... I don't know, maybe that would've been a way to infiltrate the Radio Tower during the Rocket takeover.

PKMN GS Map2A 5D07 TS20.PNG

I mean, look at it. It's right next to the cut exit to Route 41. Maybe there would've been Rocket grunts blocking the right side, so you'd have to come from the left. Perhaps.

51 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

The cockentrice wasn't the worst of it even. There was plenty of food intended solely to awe in Europe from Late Medieval  going as late as the early 1800s. The French Roti Sans Pareil- "Roast Without Equal" comes at the very end of these centuries of nonsensical food, and consists of the following.:

Screen-Shot-2023-08-21-at-10-08-41-PM.pngScreen-Shot-2023-08-21-at-10-09-26-PM.pngScreen-Shot-2023-08-21-at-10-10-03-PM.png

17 steps total. Chestnuts, bacon, and ground meat would be stuffed between each additional bird, and the whole thing would be stewed in herbs and vegetables

Yeah let's just nuke France for even coming up with that monstrosity.