• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

R8f8yE7e_o.png

More anime than expected!

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Somehow, less anime than I would've expected.

I love how you are always surprised when i say i like non-anime stuff as well XD

Nwaqihp.png

Still my most played game...recorded. I'd put Fates above it since i played Fates quadzillion times through 4 devices lol

Also the command and conquer games.

3 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Also I love how Berwick Saga isn't even official art lol

like it more than the official art lol

34 minutes ago, Newtype06 said:

tumblr_phbuyeVZdM1ud78rmo1_r2_1280.jpg

------------

Has revenge ever been that hot?

3 hours ago, Armagon said:

My favorite anime

Donkey_Kong-418a.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&crop=0px,60px,1800px,945px&resize=1200,630

It's the only exception, everything else is anime.

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Also, I recall you though of Hawke as being like Murdock before. I had this in mind when you said that, b/c Murdock wouldn't exactly ever do something like this.😆

Yeah, the resemblance is very surface level at best.

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I'm sure it's all paint rounds (which I'm told still hurt, can draw blood if they hit exposed flesh). And the artillery shells have been set to "stun", I think you can do that.

Imagine you just finished a grueling war, you wanns go home to your family, and your boss says you gotta play some paintball for a month to satisfy his petty rivalry.

1 hour ago, Newtype06 said:

>new mystery favorite game

>not Engage

Engage's horrible loading times and time waste ruined it for me. I cannot call it my favorite FE, much less one of my favorite games, when I couldn't even complete my second run from sheer burnout.

35 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

More anime than expected!

You'd say that if everything I had was Call of Duties, you prick.

35 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

love how you are always surprised when i say i like non-anime stuff as well XD

Regardless, you are the thread animeman when 06 is absent.

36 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

like it more than the official art lol

Fair, it is quite nice.

9 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Engage's horrible loading times and time waste ruined it for me. I cannot call it my favorite FE, much less one of my favorite games, when I couldn't even complete my second run from sheer burnout.

2 hours ago, Sidereal Wraith said:

I mean, I still find the gameplay to be absolutely excellent. This is less an issue of Engage and more an issue of the Switch. I so wish this game wasn't on the Switch. If it wasn't on the Switch it'd be perfect.

...Well, no, not perfect, the story would still be hot garbage, but I don't care about that in this case. That's a game I wanted to its gameplay, and on that front it delivered in flying colors.

1 hour ago, Acacia Sgt said:

When the weather's cloudy with a chance of Cruel Angel's Thesis.

That's hilarious. What's the prediction? Risk of floods of orange juice?

38 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

That's hilarious. What's the prediction? Risk of floods of orange juice?

Fortunately we're way past 2015 now.

But for real, this happened like last Wednesday. Just like that.

3 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

So... is the US Government heading for another shutdown or will there be a last-minute save tonight...?

Gotta shut down the government to appease Supreme Leader Trump.

Spain 🤝 America

No government

3 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

It's the only exception, everything else is anime.

Including Spider-Man.

6 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Gotta shut down the government to appease Supreme Leader Trump.

Spain 🤝 America

No government

Looks like the House did managed to pass a stop-gag bill... just in time to do this again for Thanksgiving.

2 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Looks like the House did managed to pass a stop-gag bill... just in time to do this again for Thanksgiving.

Hopefully this gives enough time for that surprisingly bipartisan bill to pass. The one where congressmen stop getting paid whenever a shutdown occurs.

chart.png

I decided, I'd try throwing one of these together. -As looooooooong as I made it specifically clear that...

1. These aren't necessarily my favorite games, just ones that had a lasting impact upon me.
  2. Both in terms of impact and enjoyability, these too are unordered.

I am very indecisive, and making an actual list of ranked favorites would be near-impossible.

I should also clarify that these individual games usually symbolically represent more than one game.

So, to break these down. Spoilered due to sheer length.:

Spoiler
  • Devil Survivor 2 counts both as it and Devil Survivor 1. The latter being my introduction to Shin Megami Tensei.
    • However, while DS1 certainly has its strengths and DS2 its weaknesses, I think overall I prefer DS2.
    • I chose not to use the Record Breaker rerelease artwork b/c Record Breaker's bonus scenario felt kinda weak, and I prefer the old boxart.
  • Tales of Symphonia was my first major non-Nintendo JRPG. Very impactful on my junior high school mind. I loved it. Even if my horizons have been vastly widened since then.
  • A Link Between Worlds was chosen as probably my favorite Zelda in terms of gameplay. An Oracle game could've gone here instead as well. But...
  • Hyrule Warriors (Wii U version) is here for two reasons.
    • First, it represents Musou. It might not be the smoothest Warriors game from a gameplay perspective, but I still enjoy it, and it was my first.
    • Second, it represents Zelda beyond the gameplay. Being a love letter of nonsexual Zelda fanservice.
      • This is why I could choose ALBW for the prior representative. Since HW can stand in for the overall world of Zelda that I was wrapped in as a child. It can stand in for me as young/younger than Young Link playing Ocarina of Time, ALttP, LA OoX, MM, Zelda 1, AoL; and later WW, TP, FSA, and MC.
  • Super Mario Galaxy could be any of the 3D Marios. SM64 was my first, followed not long after by SMS, but SMG's air of majesty made me choose it.
  • Vanillaware gets a nod with Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir. And I genuinely very much love it.
  • Would a second Shin Megami Tensei entry be so bad? I liked the Digital Devil Saga duology. The first more or less sets the stage for the second and isn't in itself conclusive, so I picked the latter.
    • I know there isn't a mainline SMT in sight, but that's just how things have worked out.😆
  • Just one Fire Emblem game on the entire list? Well I chose Radiant Dawn, because...
    • Early teens I was at the time, it left quite an impression. It was peak FE impression for me, even though I began with Blazing Blade.
    • It counts as the whole Tellius duology, I couldn't decide simply on one half. Creaky with ambition it might be, RD's grandiosity, and one character who contributed to my choice of name here on SF, led me to choose it.
  • I've long since parted from Pokemon, but it still deserves a rep for early influence. Could've been anything from Blue to Platinum (or the Stadiums), I just so happened to choose Silver, although maybe Crystal would've been better.
  • Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana, whYs not? I genuinely quite like the OST and Dana as well. A light Action RPG is good between RPGs with more gameplay slowdown.
  • My first Etrian Odyssey was IV, but only V gelled so well I've cleared it four times (each Legendary Title used once). Dungeon crawler perfection. -As long you don't mind random encounters, lack of plot, and Himukai's sometimes-questionable designs.
  • Advance Wars has been on my mind lately, believe it or not.😝 I picked Black Hole Rising because it was my first AW game. Could've been Dual Strike- the first AW I actually completed, or Days of Ruin too.
  • I needed to throw a Xeno in here. Xenoblade Chronicles X was chosen b/c: I might actually prefer it over 2, XG is an aged flawed masterpiece, XS is even more flawed a masterpiece, XC3 is collecting dust right now, and XC1 lost the coinflip. NOW WHERE'S THE SEQUEL!🤨
  • The third pillar of my GBA Strategy RPG childhood (the fourth pillar not shown here was Final Fantasy Tactics Advance). I originally was going to pick Original Generations, but I chose Super Robot Taisen: Original Generation GBA to indicate specifically the two games (OG2 GBA included) of my childhood. It had me at Trombe!, grabbed me by my the loin with the incanting of Dark Prison, and by the final battle I was but a Marionette convinced I had found a Messiah. 
  • On the other hand, I chose to represent Baten Kaitos with newly released HD Remaster. EWatLO came first, but Origins has its strengths that me to it too.
    • Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean is actually tied with Tales of Symphonia as my first console non-Nintendo JRPG. I played them at the same time as a child.
  • I decided to give Super Robot Wars a second nod with J. My most recent entry, which I've had quite some fun with. And proof I can appreciate real anime -filtered through a video game. Consider this my rebirth into the franchise. Now Third Original Generation/next mainline/another fan translation when?🤗
  • Kirby Super Star back on the SNES at my grandparents' house was pure bliss for me in my early youth. Sure I played the entire Dark Matter Trilogy and Adventure and Air Ride as well, but Super Star upped the Kirby formula into the format that has been beloved since, and which the Forgotten Land tried to bring into 3D at last.
  • Harvest Moon 64. This, along with the decidedly-different Goldeneye 007, were among the games me and my young relatives all played as children. We also played the very similar Back to Nature, A Wonderful Life and Save the Homeland as well. We had the SNES original, but I barely ever touched it. This introduced me the crops & courtship sim genre very early on. Although I did depart from Harvest Moon after Friends of Mineral Town, and turned away from the genre as a whole for a decade, until...
  • Rune Factory 5!😛 Okay, well the Story of Seasons: Friends of Mineral Town remake. HM64 is the Alpha, Rune Factory 5 is the current (not for long with Project Dragon underway) Omega. My return to a long-departed franchise (I did play everything except 4) and genre. ...Although I still haven't completed 5 yet.😆 I need to fix that.
    • I was going to go with RF1, as antiquated as it is, but a then & now symbolism suited my tastes better. Plus, RF5 has which prior games did not, which I like given how I've personally changed.🥰
  • I decided I needed to represent Mario's non-platformer multiplayer games here. I chose because Mario Kart 8 b/c of relatively recent memories with family. Could've been a Party game as well, or non-racing sports.
  • Final Fantasy has died down as a franchise for me personally, just as it has soured for many. But for a time in my younger years, its impact was very much real. My first FF was Tactics Advance, first non-spinoff as IV, but VI I think I prefer, so I'll go with that.
  • Unlike FF, I still quite enjoy the occasional Dragon Quest. The ancestral JRPG franchise still alive to me. Technically I played I&II GBC, but my first full experience with it was Again, the franchise's mainline output has drastically slowed of late. But Dragon Quest XI was good enough that I think I'd say it's better than VIII, the second best.
  • Is it okay to splinter the JRPGs from the other Mario spinoffs?😆 I decided to do so. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door, is there to rep its predecessor game and immediate successor, SMRPG, and M&L as well. 
    • ...No 2D Mario platformer representation? Sorry! I've never been particularly good at those 😅, even though I grew up with Super Mario All-Stars and World.
  • Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow was my first Metroidvania, excluding the horribly aged original Metroid. I prefer the two DS-era successors and the GBA direct predecessor, but still. A Metroidvania that isn't too difficult is a nice casual palette cleanser between bigger games.
  • Civilization VI is here because in recent years I've logged way too many hours into it and a few other games in the genre. Although they devour so much time I fear them.

...I wrote so much.😵

It makes me feel old knowing I have so much history behind me. But it did something, slightly, to suppress that pervasive sense of fear that has been running through me today.

5 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I think in some simulated wargames they just do stuff like:

"Tank X, you were hit and sustained crippling damage, remove yourself from the battlefield."

As in, not even using fake rounds. Just simulate firing, simulate if the shot hits or not, simulate damage, and just tell anyone to leave if they sustained enough simulated damage. Or so I think.

Game certainly doesn't portray it that way, though, that's for sure. Still, perhaps changing it up for just one map wasn't worth it, perhaps.

I take it they have to clarify which system of calculations everyone is supposed to be using. Otherwise I can see "What do you mean I took a direct hit? The data tells me that the shell grazed the right right flank! Oh 🤬 you! *Shoots off some luckily-blank rounds to vent anger.*".

And thank you telling me this!😃

4 hours ago, Newtype06 said:

Cans 1-3 all roughly align, especially the can at cardinal point south. The east can needs the word "not" added before "wanting", but is otherwise terribly accurate too.

4 hours ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Has revenge ever been that hot?

Speaking of Berseria, maybe it's finally time I took up another Tales. Not sure if Berseria would fit my current mood -I'm vaguely aware of some spoiler scene b/c of talk how it is arguably better censored than not- but maybe a full-length JRPG can suppress the glum with Re-Boot Camp now completed. XC3 is the alternative, but that could wait until after I finish GrimGrimoire.

10 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Hopefully this gives enough time for that surprisingly bipartisan bill to pass. The one where congressmen stop getting paid whenever a shutdown occurs.

I just saw a factoid on the news. The average House (or Congress, I forget which) up to this point in the cycle started-over in the January after elections, on average since like the 1970s, has passed 70 pieces of legislation and or declarations (I forget the term used) at this point in time, this one has only passed 14 (or 17). One really dysfunctional/unproductive House this is.

Man, would be so tough making a list of my own...

6 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

I take it they have to clarify which system of calculations everyone is supposed to be using. Otherwise I can see "What do you mean I took a direct hit? The data tells me that the shell grazed the right right flank! Oh 🤬 you! *Shoots off some luckily-blank rounds to vent anger.*".

And thank you telling me this!😃

I'd think for something like the military they'd be much more professional about it. Probably also independent interdimensional observers who make those judgements.

Speaking of Berseria, maybe it's finally time I took up another Tales. Not sure if Berseria would fit my current mood -I'm vaguely aware of some spoiler scene b/c of talk how it is arguably better censored than not- but maybe a full-length JRPG can suppress the glum with Re-Boot Camp now completed. XC3 is the alternative, but that could wait until after I finish GrimGrimoire.

I suppose the old games are out of the running? I'm always gonna suggest Phantasia...

I just saw a factoid on the news. The average House (or Congress, I forget which) up to this point in the cycle started-over in the January after elections, on average since like the 1970s, has passed 70 pieces of legislation and or declarations (I forget the term used) at this point in time, this one has only passed 14 (or 17). One really dysfunctional/unproductive House this is.

Well, you know what they say when you have more and more elements tugging at their own direction...

Symbol of Chaos - Wikipedia

I love how Ganon in TotK is better than all of FEs villains/antagonists. Combined.

11 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Not sure if Berseria would fit my current mood -I'm vaguely aware of some spoiler scene b/c of talk how it is arguably better censored than not- but maybe a full-length JRPG can suppress the glum with Re-Boot Camp now completed.

what are you in the mood for?

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

This is less an issue of Engage and more an issue of the Switch

Isn't it more an emulator problem?

13 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

It makes me feel old knowing I have so much history behind me.

you're still young

1 minute ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Isn't it more an emulator problem?

Perhaps. I'd have to go back and see what the loading times looked like on the switch. On my first run I played hard, which meant less resets, less returns to the Somniel to adjust my builds, and it was my first run so I was a lot more focused on how fucking great the game is.

It's still a problem because it means I have to choose between mods and tolerable loading times. #NintendoPutYourGamesOnPC

14 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

A Link Between Worlds was chosen as probably my favorite Zelda in terms of gameplay. An Oracle game could've gone here instead as well. But...

When the remake comes....

15 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

NOW WHERE'S THE SEQUEL!🤨

Gone, reduced to atoms (we will get it one day).

16 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

One really dysfunctional/unproductive House this is.

Ever since Trump appeared in the spotlight, unity between the parties has been down the shitter. Like, Republicans really didn't like Obama but I think things were a lot more stable during the 2012 elections. Had Mitt Romney won, things wouldn't have changed too much.

That said, once Trump finally died, I think the severity will also die. He's the head of the cult and the snake can't operate without his head. And as much as DeSantis wants to be the next Trump, he won't be.

4 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

love how Ganon in TotK is better than all of FEs villains/antagonists. Combined.

I was gonna wait until you finished to ask but since you're saying that now, I take it your impressions with one of gaming's most iconic villains is very favorable.

5 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

#NintendoPutYourGamesOnPC

ganondorf-zelda.gif

2 minutes ago, Armagon said:

I was gonna wait until you finished to ask but since you're saying that now, I take it your impressions with one of gaming's most iconic villains is very favorable.

ganondorf-zelda.gif

He's just pretty charismatic, smart and looks cool af. The Tears help him alot, too

Edited by Shrimpy -Limited Edition-