Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

Okay, so, until I get my laptop back, I'll just keep... writing. If I can actually upload both parts at the same time that'd be swell. If not, I'm content that at least I already have one ready already for upload. Well, ~95% ready, give or take.

• Replies 180.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

jgJdow3.png

Civ5 game of the day (Well, of yesterday and the day before). Liberty Mayans, but with a more aggressive spin than pumping out a bunch of settlers. I only used the free settler from the Liberty tree to get a city in a contested spot (Tikal, to the north of Palenque) and otherwise fully greeded in the capital, building the Great Library and National College before building a second settler to found Chichen Itza. After that, I took Shanghai and Guanzhou with Comp.Bows, taking the latter in a peace deal, and then finished off China in a second war with X-bows.

Definitely feels very different from the usual boring old 3-5 cities game I go for, with Palenque being considerably weaker than your average Tradition cap. But at this stage, I can notice the snowball rolling - later, but potentially harder than in a Tradition game. I think I've overcome any happiness issues - I get +4 from religion (pagodas and temple happiness), and it helps a lot that the two civs on the other continent didn't notice my warmongering ways, so they're still trading luxuries one-for-one - so it should be time to go beyond Tall and Wide and just become Big.

Mayans are cool though. I made a point of rushing to Theology to get the free(-ish) great persons as soon as possible, and now I think I'll have to pick an admiral soon (the most useless great person, imo) just to avoid picking a Merchant (the one GP that's downright harmful to get, because it pushes back scientists and engineers). And +1 Faith / +2 Science on the basic shrine building is just beautiful.

tFTKqnE.png

fQPnRpX.png

And two older screenshots that I made, but never uploaded before. First one is from a Venice game, I'm pretty sure, but asking for more than 2k gold is still a little unreasonable, Cyrus. And the second one is a nice little demonstration of the silliness of the AI sometimes. I built Krakow and Łodz before Shaka plonked down Nobamba literally as close to Łodz as the rules allow, and then he has the gall to complain about my own placement of Wrocław. The nerve on that man.

18 minutes ago, gnip said:

jgJdow3.png

Civ5 game of the day (Well, of yesterday and the day before). Liberty Mayans, but with a more aggressive spin than pumping out a bunch of settlers. I only used the free settler from the Liberty tree to get a city in a contested spot (Tikal, to the north of Palenque) and otherwise fully greeded in the capital, building the Great Library and National College before building a second settler to found Chichen Itza. After that, I took Shanghai and Guanzhou with Comp.Bows, taking the latter in a peace deal, and then finished off China in a second war with X-bows.

Dammit I attempted one just last night! I even cooked the books with a low sea level Frontier map and the seven least expansive AIs on King difficulty!😆

I had a lot of room, enough that I founded eight cities. Eventually, I crawled out of the perpetually bankrupt hole (and it being King, everyone else teched slowly and was low on gold) ...except my eight city angered Ethiopia enough that they sent an army of muskets and crossbows at me.😑 So I ragequit it there.

I've been doing a lot of unfinished runs in the past few days. Including another attempt at an Arabian Deity domination, where I came within ten turns of finally taking a Rome that had built Great Wall, Himeji, and Red Fort. ...Except I had gifted Carthage a city from the Ethiopians and from there they launched their own attack at me.😑 If Carthage hadn't, I would've marched on them and then Brazil swiftly after the fall of Rome, leaving Siam alone unconquered, which I would've taken by waiting until I got nukes.

Civ is this thing where I seemingly enjoy ramming my head against a wall, and keep doing it.😅

29 minutes ago, gnip said:

and now I think I'll have to pick an admiral soon (the most useless great person, imo) just to avoid picking a Merchant (the one GP that's downright harmful to get, because it pushes back scientists and engineers).

The Great Admiral isn't a bad choice if you're playing on a map where you can only reach other civilizations via water. Finding more trading partners sooner isn't a bad thing, and there is a tech discount for every civ you've met that has already researched a tech, so I've heard.

As for the Great Merchant, I actually picked it third. The Customs House's +4 Gold wasn't irrelevant for someone deep in the red.

34 minutes ago, gnip said:

And two older screenshots that I made, but never uploaded before. First one is from a Venice game, I'm pretty sure, but asking for more than 2k gold is still a little unreasonable, Cyrus.

Be nice to Darius!😛

My first Deity win was Diplomatic Venice, wherein my northern neighbor, separated only by Indonesia, was Persia. Darius went about conquering the world in the lategame, yet thankfully completely ignored me.

36 minutes ago, gnip said:

I built Krakow and Łodz before Shaka plonked down Nobamba literally as close to Łodz as the rules allow, and then he has the gall to complain about my own placement of Wrocław. The nerve on that man.

Shaka has an 11/10 on the Expansive AI trait, the next closest is Hiawatha at 9/10. Although Ethiopia -a 4/10- had no problems plopping two nearby cities last night, and a Fractal Poland run also saw Carthage drop two cities next to me.

4 hours ago, gnip said:

Liberty Mayans,

Me too man, me too.

Speaking of which, I can't do it now because this laptop can't handle it but I would love to play a game of Victoria 3 where I form the Maya kingdom, which is apparently something you can do.

3 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Fire_Emblem_Fates_28.10.23_18.56.39.496.

You have got to be kidding me.

Hilda is too shallow of a character for me to make a clever joke out of this.

Also I think this is the first time I've gotten a good look at the strategist sprite.

2 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

Hilda is too shallow of a character for me to make a clever joke out of this.

The joke is just that I don't like her. About as shallow as her!

2 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

Also I think this is the first time I've gotten a good look at the strategist sprite.

Smug_generic.png?ex=654cf632&is=653a8132

She might legit be the prettiest girl in Fates

After Reina and Rinkah's abs

Mario wonder's biggest disappointment: Airship "bosses"

If you can even call them that

For all the creativity and the awesome stuff the game has, the airship "bosses" feels so...uncreative? boring? copy pasted?

Definitely not what you'd want after a good/amazing level, as it makes the level close on a zzz note

Edited by Shrimpy -Limited Edition-

4 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Mario wonder's biggest disappointment: Airship "bosses"

If you can even call them that

For all the creativity and the awesome stuff the game has, the airship "bosses" feels so...uncreative? boring? copy pasted?

Definitely not what you'd want after a good/amazing level, as it makes the level close on a zzz note

Oh I've heard that, yeah. Luckily, I've also heard that the end-of-world bosses are all pretty cool, so that's nice at least.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

5 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Luckily, I've also heard that the end-of-world bosses are all pretty cool, so that's nice at least.

they do some nice tricks with them yh. Nothing cool like 3D Mario, but not bad.

And well, World 3 doesn't have a boss lol. It does compensate by having levels slightly harder than usual, but ending a world without a boss fight was lol?

(I am at world 4 atm)

That said, Boss and Airship levels are usually pretty cool, especially what they do with the wonder seed there.

I mean, you could see the wonder seed of Airships as kinda a boss fight? But then why close the level with such a disappointment lol

24 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

they do some nice tricks with them yh. Nothing cool like 3D Mario, but not bad.

And well, World 3 doesn't have a boss lol. It does compensate by having levels slightly harder than usual, but ending a world without a boss fight was lol?

(I am at world 4 atm)

21 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

That said, Boss and Airship levels are usually pretty cool, especially what they do with the wonder seed there.

I mean, you could see the wonder seed of Airships as kinda a boss fight? But then why close the level with such a disappointment lol

Boss fights were never 2D Mario's strong suit anyway. Or 3D Mario either, I'd argue. Bosses in Mario have always just been "okay dodge these extremely slow and telegraphed attacks, bonk the glowing weak point three times, there you win."

Now dig on this

I have cleared Tears of the Kingdom's Wind Temple, Link is too broke to afford proper cold protection gear (all the Rupees from his last adventure must have been invested in Hyrule's restoration) so I had to make deal with cold protection food instead.

Spoiler

I liked the Blight Ganons in the previous game but it was nice to get a big cinematic monster battle. Afterwards we receive one of the seven Chaos Emeralds secret stones and Tulin gets a blessing from Rean the Sage of Wind. Though by the same token, I have to make a joke about Tulin being Kloe as well. There are six sages, including Zelda as the Sage of Time, though I'm not sure if the sixth is Rauru again or someone else. There's also the fact that Zelda sent herself back in time somehow, hence why she's the subject of the flashbacks again; I like how their locations are telegraphed by the geoglyphs this time. I like how the flashbacks additionally show Ganondorf's rise to power, but it seems like he won't show up in the present again until the final battle.

It's mentioned that Zelda in the present acts rather strangely and even her horse is spooked by her. Clearly "Zelda" is actually Ganondorf is disguise.

Also, Zelda found a shiny gold horse between games, in addition to the white one you can get in the previous game (and the horses you got in BotW carry over to TotK, which was a pleasant surprise). I intended to name it Aurum, but one of the autofill words was Aureole and I liked that better. Besides referring to a halo of light surrounding a holy person, fitting for a horse belonging to Zelda, it is coincidentally the name of an actual racehorseIt's also an overpowered ability in Xenoblade 3 and similarly named to a legendary Fire Emblem tome, among other things.

7 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

You have got to be kidding me.

Oh hey, it's the best Fire Emblem character.hilda.png

Edited by Lightchao42

2 hours ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

(I am at world 4 atm)

I think they were generally trying to give the worlds a different vibe. 

It does mean that the rather lackluster boss fights aren't too bad.

20 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

I intended to name it Aurum, but one of the autofill words was Aureole and I liked that better. Besides referring to a halo of light surrounding a holy person, fitting for a horse belonging to Zelda, it is coincidentally the name of an actual racehorse.

I named it TriHorse 💀