Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

34 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

I call bullshit.

All those spawn points are really far apart, so they can't realistically gang up on anyone. A dark mage by itself has very limited opportunities to one-shot someone. Not even staff bots, because they have an actual magic stat. Also since they are ALL dark mages with the same loadout, once just one of them spawns at turn 3, you know what to prepare for.
The potential for bullshit is most certainly there. They might in theory be able to kill a Lara right on turn 3. Lifis too, but there is like no reason to bring him along unless he got really buff, in which case he could most certainly survive one hit. And those two spawn points in the South are relatively close, even considering one of them has to cross some forest tiles to get on the main road. But all in all it's just really unlikely to get cheap-shotted before you get a chance to adapt.

Something that is actually bullshit would be chapter 20. When they start spawning Meteor mages and Ballistas at the Southern edge. They have an insane threat radius and are most certainly more than capable of ganging up on an likely ill-prepared target.
map20.png

Edited by BrightBow

• Replies 177.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

2 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

A dark mage by itself has very limited opportunities to one-shot someone.

One spawned and one shot Lara 🙂

Not to mention you don't always have everyone healed

3 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Also since they are ALL dark mages with the same loadout, once just one of them spawns at turn 3, you know what to prepare for.

yeah after resetting - which then the optimal strategy is to skip the map rather than deal with random reinforcements

3 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Something that is actually bullshit would be chapter 20.

the game is full of actual bullshit, this one i remember the most because it actually made me angry.

I love Thracia mind ya, but in terms of unfairness and bullshit it's very high up there

16 hours ago, Lightchao42 said:

Have fun! Assuming you got this recently, I'm a bit surprised that you found a physical copy. If I had a nickel for every Teeheer who got Xenoblade 2 within the past two weeks or so, I'd have two nickels.

Thanks. Yeah, I had to pay full price but it was worth it. I'd rather have physical, especially for series I like.

15 hours ago, Armagon said:

Xenopeak Chronicles 2.

Hope you enjoy!

Thanks, I'll try to.

15 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I bet you'll finish it before I do.

Maybe so.

16 hours ago, Lightcosmo said:

Another member to add to the Xeno family!

👍

23 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:
28 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

A dark mage by itself has very limited opportunities to one-shot someone.

One spawned and one shot Lara 🙂

Not to mention you don't always have everyone healed

28 minutes ago, BrightBow said:

Also since they are ALL dark mages with the same loadout, once just one of them spawns at turn 3, you know what to prepare for.

yeah after resetting - which then the optimal strategy is to skip the map rather than deal with random reinforcements

You know Fire Emblem fans are on another layer of delusion when something like Thracia ambush randomly generation druid spawns are somehow being argued and debated over. 

Average Thracia fan skipping the game. It really says a lot about the duality of Kaga game design.

25 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

the game is full of actual bullshit, this one i remember the most because it actually made me angry.

I love Thracia mind ya, but in terms of unfairness and bullshit it's very high up there

All this and somehow 3H still has worse reinforcements.

Even I'm an unfortunate Thracia fan. I want to break up with Kaga and end this abusive relationship, but Ruben keeps telling me Berwick is peak and I keep getting gaslit into giving him another chance. 

22 hours ago, ping said:

Incidentally... https://arzamas.academy/materials/1269 - Who are you in 1917 Russia?

(I was assigned a Menshevik Internationalist, although there's plenty of questions that I answered quite differently. I guess it averaged itself out. Also, having the Bolsheviki in the "democratic" half of the map is funny)

Got just left of Anarchist which is unsurprising.

Honestly I'm not sure how a truly democratic communist start for Russia would've worked out without immediately collapsing due to outside pressure from almost every other major power in the world. It's ironic how World War 1 was essentially the final nail in the coffin of Tsardom Russia while also being the worst possible time for a democratic revolution.

But man, wouldn't it have been kinda nice if it did work out in the end? Imagine, a much smaller Russia next to Finland and the Balkans topping the charts in the 2023 census for highest quality of living and happiness because folks are collectivized in loving communities and don't have to break their backs and mental health just to pay rent this month. It's probably naively utopian to think about it but a girl can dream.

2 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

I mean, 776 is pretty difficult if you don't follow a guide. It constantly kicks you in the nuts when you least expect it. It's when you know your way around the game and how easily it can be broken that it becomes easy.

I see this all the time in strategy game communities where people who have taken the time to learn the ins and outs of every mechanic complain it's "too easy"

But like...that's the point isn't it? This isn't a fighting game where the only thing keeping you alive is your base instincts and developed skill. If you take the time to learn everything about a strategy game and how each little number functions with each other than no shit it's going to be too easy because literally the only thing the game can do at this point is throw in a luck factor that forces bullshit. The whole point of strategy games is learning how things bounce off each other so that you can make it easier. If we make things like growth rates and proc changes more random than that would be just annoying as hell for everyone. You can have the most well made map with the greatest enemy placement of any game and people will still complain it's too easy because if you know enough, any fair map will be a cake walk.

That's why I don't get the idea of all gameplay over story. If you go down the path of pure efficiency than I can't help but feel like it's damming yourself to eternal computer AI boredom. If you go into these games with the only goal being to win, and you create the most optimal strategy to achieve that goal, yet afterwords complain about that victory for being "too easy" than perhaps you should try and find enjoyment in the values a game brings other than it's material win conditions.

I don't mean that in the sense of treating Fire Emblem like a visual novel, but in that being creative about your strategies rather than purely optimal can be a lot more fun. Purposefully using a bad unit, using a unit because you think they look cool or because you want to hear their backstory and motivations, doing the most stupid wild plays with highly specific builds, using only captured units, purposefully not having a unit kill enemies because they said in a support conversation that they don't like killing. None of these things are optimal and provide little to no gameplay benefits but are a hell of a lot more fun and memorable.

11 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

But like...that's the point isn't it?

No, not really.

There're games that are still hard even if you learn everything - Look no further than Fates.

I played Thracia relatively early in my FE days, and i came out thinking that it was easy aside from surprise bs

If you go down the path of pure efficiency than I can't help but feel like it's damming yourself to eternal computer AI boredom.

Only if it's badly designed

f you go into these games with the only goal being to win, and you create the most optimal strategy to achieve that goal, yet afterwords complain about that victory for being "too easy" than perhaps you should try and find enjoyment in the values a game brings other than it's material win conditions.

The game should provide the challenge for me to not find finding a strategy "too easy". Finding a strategy itself is the challenge, and trying to improve upon it on subsequent runs. If i take a look at a map and figure it out from a glance - then something is wrong with the game. The game should've twists that makes me rethink everything - even on subsequent runs.

Purposefully using a bad unit, using a unit because you think they look cool or because you want to hear their backstory and motivations, doing the most stupid wild plays with highly specific builds, using only captured units, purposefully not having a unit kill enemies because they said in a support conversation that they don't like killing.

I shouldn't have to gimp myself to get a challenge

Edited by Shrimpy -Limited Edition-

1 hour ago, Shaky Jones said:

You know Fire Emblem fans are on another layer of delusion when something like Thracia ambush randomly generation druid spawns are somehow being argued and debated over. 

The question here is if it is as bad as the ones in New Mystery and beyond.

When finally getting around to doing Book 2 in earnest I was shocked by how few of New Mystery's cheap shots where actually in the original game.
You would think that for a remake, they would take cheap bullshit out instead of making it worse.

Edited by BrightBow

3 hours ago, BrightBow said:

I love how the 2 Gotohs of Vestaria Saga are 1 guy in an overpowered uber-class at max level and a generic low level griffon rider without her mount.

Kaga is a very equal-rights man.

3 hours ago, Armagon said:

Best Adaptation is just an unnecessary category in general. It's like if the Oscars had a Best Adaptation category for which movie got the best novelization.

Again, they only made it so that they could suck Neil Cuckmann's dick again.

Maybe they should add that to the Oscars.

...ahh who am I kidding, the Oscars are even more pathetic than the GA.

2 hours ago, Shaky Jones said:

Too many Thracia fans have a habit of calling it easy. Stop trying to traumatize the poor new fans by tricking them into submitting to Kaga's CBT sessions. It's a brutal experience that can be cheesed once you realize Kaga also has nuts you can torture back, but you can't exactly just escape his dungeon without knowing the pass codes to open his locked doors ahead of time. 

Yep, basically this.

58 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

see this all the time in strategy game communities where people who have taken the time to learn the ins and outs of every mechanic complain it's "too easy"

But like...that's the point isn't it? This isn't a fighting game where the only thing keeping you alive is your base instincts and developed skill. If you take the time to learn everything about a strategy game and how each little number functions with each other than no shit it's going to be too easy because literally the only thing the game can do at this point is throw in a luck factor that forces bullshit. The whole point of strategy games is learning how things bounce off each other so that you can make it easier. If we make things like growth rates and proc changes more random than that would be just annoying as hell for everyone. You can have the most well made map with the greatest enemy placement of any game and people will still complain it's too easy because if you know enough, any fair map will be a cake walk.

That's why I don't get the idea of all gameplay over story. If you go down the path of pure efficiency than I can't help but feel like it's damming yourself to eternal computer AI boredom. If you go into these games with the only goal being to win, and you create the most optimal strategy to achieve that goal, yet afterwords complain about that victory for being "too easy" than perhaps you should try and find enjoyment in the values a game brings other than it's material win conditions.

I don't mean that in the sense of treating Fire Emblem like a visual novel, but in that being creative about your strategies rather than purely optimal can be a lot more fun. Purposefully using a bad unit, using a unit because you think they look cool or because you want to hear their backstory and motivations, doing the most stupid wild plays with highly specific builds, using only captured units, purposefully not having a unit kill enemies because they said in a support conversation that they don't like killing. None of these things are optimal and provide little to no gameplay benefits but are a hell of a lot more fun and memorable.

Yeah, I agree with this as well. I mean, the last paragraph is literally the fun I get out of FE. I may be the gameplay guy but I do love prioritizing the meme old man over the optimal edgelord.

4 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Kaga is a very equal-rights man.

And yet both of them are equally pulling their weight against high level enemies, despite the massive difference in power and equipment. It's great.

I wonder how many will understand the coffee tier

6 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA the fucking atheist tier

Thanks man, that one got me good.

o7

I aim to please

I had to search for a bit for that image so i am glad i got a laugh out of you atleast 😛

3 hours ago, Shaky Jones said:

No one wants to realize they can't beat 12x because healer girl is fatigued and no one else can use warp, or God forbid you fatigued Mareeta and now you can't recruit Galzus. Sure, I reckon new players will naturally horde stamina potions like hell, but that's its own problem. You'll be too mortified to use them because you don't know when you'll NEED them. And in a game like Thracia, you kinda do NEED certain units on certain chapters. Heck, Linoan only gets one chapter to promote in. Imagine her being fatigued for that. Unlucky. 

Don't forget the other thing: Thracia is the funniest game in existence because not only is there no 100%/0% hit-rates but healers can miss too. Imagine needing a heal and then Safy or whatever trips and heals a rock. You die during enemy phase because the healers couldn't do their job.

Thracia just has a lot of unnecessary bullshit for no reason that even if you can work around it, it's hardly ideal.

3 hours ago, Shaky Jones said:

but Ruben keeps telling me Berwick is peak and I keep getting gaslit into giving him another chance. 

Been there. I played Vestaria and concluded Kaga couldn't design games for shit. I love being punished for not using certain units (like everyone on Clyde's side of the route split was severely under leveled). I tried Berwick but it's too fundamentally different, making comparisons to Fire Emblem is weird tbh. TearRing Saga.....was actually pretty good ngl.

But even now, I still give him a chance. "Surely he's made more than two good games (FE3 is fine imo)".

2 hours ago, GuardianSing said:

Idk I like stomping the hell out of my enemies just like how Omni-Man stomps Homelander.

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

ahh who am I kidding, the Oscars are even more pathetic than the GA.

Remember when Beauty and the Beast was nominated for Best Picture and then the guys in suits were scared that an animated film might win Best Picture so they made Best Animated Film to ensure most animated films don't actually get Best Picture. They'll say that it's not like that but look at how convenient it is that most animated films do not get Best Picture noms. Not even from the titan that is Disney in it's golden days.

57 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

HzTOF2W.jpg

Iceberg time!

Gotta put Doctor Who in here somewhere because I'm about to get annoying

Everyone's acting here like the rent's due tomorrow. The Toymaker shifting accents is genius, because the last time they met, The Doctor beat him by mimicking his voice.

2 hours ago, GuardianSing said:

I see this all the time in strategy game communities where people who have taken the time to learn the ins and outs of every mechanic complain it's "too easy"

I getcha here. Civs 5 and 6 come to mind. No I don't want to have to take full Rationalism (though I usually do a two-policy dip). And for Civ6, nooooo I don't chop trees and resources like crazy, and I absolutely refuse to settle cities so close it feels like they're suffocating. Playing with some flavor in mind >>> what's optimal.

-But now you're making me want to do another Civ5 run, which I shouldn't b/c I emerge feeling like I wasted my video game time when I should've been playing RF5 or something else.😆

3 hours ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Berwick is easily Kaga's Magnu Opus. Do give it a chance!

Oiiiii, I need to finish it.😵 But I still feel intimidated by the burnout it gave me. When 5-turn saves ceased to be good enough and I resorted to save states.

6 hours ago, Armagon said:

One thing is for sure, MinusGoji will be the face of Godzilla for years to come. Shin's time is done.

I'm happy with that. I like ShinGoji's design but the face of the franchise being a walking tumor was a bit odd. They should've kept his tail-face when marketing him, at least.

6 hours ago, ping said:

I like playing fire emblem.

Sir, this isn't the unpopular opinions thread.

5 hours ago, twilit said:

Thanks. Yeah, I had to pay full price but it was worth it. I'd rather have physical, especially for series I like.

Me too, I only get digital if there are no physical copies or if there's a sale (even though Sooks called me a nerd for it one time).

2 hours ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

It's that time of the year...

I like how Musse is still the mascot of teehee. Hey wait a minute, you said you would put Rixia on this one. I don't know where she'd go though, she never says "teehee" in any game.

Looking back, I wonder what that Korean Engage spoiler was...

I wonder how many will understand the coffee tier

I believe I know what peak fiction is, at least.

o7

I aim to please

I had to search for a bit for that image so i am glad i got a laugh out of you atleast 😛

Your uncrass work ethic pleases me, you atheist.

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Been there. I played Vestaria and concluded Kaga couldn't design games for shit. I love being punished for not using certain units (like everyone on Clyde's side of the route split was severely under leveled). I tried Berwick but it's too fundamentally different, making comparisons to Fire Emblem is weird tbh. TearRing Saga.....was actually pretty good ngl.

But even now, I still give him a chance. "Surely he's made more than two good games (FE3 is fine imo)".

You still have to keep going with VS2. And you have as much right to trash Berwick as I do to trash Xenoblade for being too anime

1 hour ago, Armagon said:

Remember when Beauty and the Beast was nominated for Best Picture and then the guys in suits were scared that an animated film might win Best Picture so they made Best Animated Film to ensure most animated films don't actually get Best Picture. They'll say that it's not like that but look at how convenient it is that most animated films do not get Best Picture noms. Not even from the titan that is Disney in it's golden days.

So sad. And that's what the Game Awards is, really. Oscars lite for videogames. We see all the same embarrasments, to a lesser degree perhaps, but the patterns are there.

No, not really.

There're games that are still hard even if you learn everything - Look no further than Fates.

I played Thracia relatively early in my FE days, and i came out thinking that it was easy aside from surprise bs

And why is Conquest difficult? From experience and in watching playthroughs on the game what gets you to lose is the bullshit, the RNG. Conquest is difficult because it balances its bullshit with it's complexity, you need both to make these games "difficult". The strategy isn't so much avoiding RNG as much as it is planning effective fail saves and adapting to it, and that can be very fun. But my point remains that knowing enough is what determines the difficulty and the only thing the game can do to stop that is by introducing luck mechanics, and that brings up the question, is it your skill that's determining if you win or is it just unpredictable RNG screwing over what otherwise was a fine plan? These games aren't 100% fair and that's the point, good map design and unit composition is only half of a "challenging" Fire Emblem game.

But I struggle to believe that it is the only way to go about with gameplay because while Conquest is good at catering to it's specific branch of playstyle, it just isn't for everyone.

Now this may come as a shock, but a good chunk of Fire Emblem players do not like Conquest, not because they are bad at it or because they aren't seeking a challenge but because it caters to a specific type of playstyle that while fun for some, is exhausting for others.

Many players, myself included, find Conquest a repetitive snooze fest in the early game and a stressful slog in the late game. I've come to realize that when people say that gameplay does or does not matter, they're talking about a very specific type of gameplay catering to a specific type of player and completely forget that gameplay can be literally anything and that Fire Emblem consists of a huge fanbase who all have different preferences for how they play.

More complex gameplay does not equal inherent difficulty or less focus on story. Three Houses' systems could be describe as more complex and open ended than Fates but that sure as hell doesn't mean it's more difficult or interesting.

Only if it's badly designed

The game should provide the challenge for me to not find finding a strategy "too easy". Finding a strategy itself is the challenge, and trying to improve upon it on subsequent runs. If i take a look at a map and figure it out from a glance - then something is wrong with the game. The game should've twists that makes me rethink everything - even on subsequent runs.

What does it mean to be badly designed? How do you know when finding the strategy is easy or hard when you're only one person? How do you balance a "twist" from being either too predictable or too bullshit?

It's subjective because every player has their own metric for how they handle things. I could say that SoV is badly designed because the maps are all open fields with basically random enemy placement but how can I say that as objective fact when there are thousands of people who adore that game and proudly call it their favorite? Conversely I could say that chapter 10 of Conquest is badly designed because the strategy is the same each time and only differs if you purposely try and make it more challenging for yourself, something that many folks would disagree with given that it is hailed as being one of the best maps in the entire series. Does that make it any less valid?

I shouldn't have to gimp myself to get a challenge

Video games are meant to be interactive media where in the player's actions dictate their experience. If I wanted a purely binary challenge that I engaged out of obligation for it's rules rather than my own creativity I'd just get a job.

What is and isn't challenging will always be subjective and so I prefer it when games keep it's options open so that, should a player want something more challenging, they can get that by defining their own rules on what they personally find to be difficult but doable.

10 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

And why is Conquest difficult? From experience and in watching playthroughs on the game what gets you to lose is the bullshit, the RNG. Conquest is difficult because it balances its bullshit with it's complexity, you need both to make these games "difficult". The strategy isn't so much avoiding RNG as much as it is planning effective fail saves and adapting to it, and that can be very fun. But my point remains that knowing enough is what determines the difficulty and the only thing the game can do to stop that is by introducing luck mechanics, and that brings up the question, is it your skill that's determining if you win or is it just unpredictable RNG screwing over what otherwise was a fine plan? These games aren't 100% fair and that's the point, good map design and unit composition is only half of a "challenging" Fire Emblem game.

But I struggle to believe that it is the only way to go about with gameplay because while Conquest is good at catering to it's specific branch of playstyle, it just isn't for everyone.

Now this may come as a shock, but a good chunk of Fire Emblem players do not like Conquest, not because they are bad at it or because they aren't seeking a challenge but because it caters to a specific type of playstyle that while fun for some, is exhausting for others.

Many players, myself included, find Conquest a repetitive snooze fest in the early game and a stressful slog in the late game. I've come to realize that when people say that gameplay does or does not matter, they're talking about a very specific type of gameplay catering to a specific type of player and completely forget that gameplay can be literally anything and that Fire Emblem consists of a huge fanbase who all have different preferences for how they play.

More complex gameplay does not equal inherent difficulty or less focus on story. Three Houses' systems could be describe as more complex and open ended than Fates but that sure as hell doesn't mean it's more difficult or interesting.

What does it mean to be badly designed? How do you know when finding the strategy is easy or hard when you're only one person? How do you balance a "twist" from being either too predictable or too bullshit?

It's subjective because every player has their own metric for how they handle things. I could say that SoV is badly designed because the maps are all open fields with basically random enemy placement but how can I say that as objective fact when there are thousands of people who adore that game and proudly call it their favorite? Conversely I could say that chapter 10 of Conquest is badly designed because the strategy is the same each time and only differs if you purposely try and make it more challenging for yourself, something that many folks would disagree with given that it is hailed as being one of the best maps in the entire series. Does that make it any less valid?

Video games are meant to be interactive media where in the player's actions dictate their experience. If I wanted a purely binary challenge that I engaged out of obligation for it's rules rather than my own creativity I'd just get a job.

What is and isn't challenging will always be subjective and so I prefer it when games keep it's options open so that, should a player want something more challenging, they can get that by defining their own rules on what they personally find to be difficult but doable.

Play Berwick Saga

2 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

And why is Conquest difficult?

https://old.reddit.com/r/fireemblem/comments/117il9b/what_do_people_mean_when_they_praise_engages/j9byhaj/

Just something i saved that could give an insight

3 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

From experience and in watching playthroughs on the game what gets you to lose is the bullshit, the RNG.

Nope. Never, not really.

CQ has close to 0 bullshit (sadly not 0 because Kitsune exists), and the game gives you alot of RNG mitigation tools - more than any other game.

5 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

good map design and unit composition is only half of a "challenging" Fire Emblem game.

Good map design and unit composition are 99% of a challenging FE game

6 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

Now this may come as a shock, but a good chunk of Fire Emblem players do not like Conquest,

I know 🙂

8 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

ecause it caters to a specific type of playstyle that while fun for some, is exhausting for others.

And why is it exhausting? Because it's difficult & challenging

7 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

ow do you balance a "twist" from being either too predictable or too bullshit?

Can the player still act after it happens and avoid it with smart decisions?

Look no further then Conquest ch.10, it comes with the mid map twist that completely changes the map, but is never unfair.

9 minutes ago, GuardianSing said:

Video games are meant to be interactive media where in the player's actions dictate their experience.

Yet limits and challenges should still be set by the devs or the game will become total snoozefest - like many games out there.

wanted a purely binary challenge that I engaged out of obligation for it's rules rather than my own creativity I'd just get a job.

Job is not fun 😛

That's what difficulty options are for. Those who want things open can play on easy or whatever, hardest challenge should ask of the best the player can offer without gimping themselves.

Any game that asks of the play to limit themselves to have fun is a badly designed game. And how to design something is not my job, but the dev's

3 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Nope. Never, not really.

CQ has close to 0 bullshit (sadly not 0 because Kitsune exists), and the game gives you alot of RNG mitigation tools - more than any other game.

OK so like, in this topic you know I'm more inclined to be on your side, but I'm still hurting from that one time I had a perfect flawless strategy, and then Felicia missed a 99% and it irremediably led to Beruka's death...

2 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

OK so like, in this topic you know I'm more inclined to be on your side, but I'm still hurting from that one time I had a perfect flawless strategy, and then Felicia missed a 99% and it irremediably led to Beruka's death...

Happened with my in every FE game, so you can't put that on just CQ lol

I remember that one turn in Berwick Saga AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

And Conquest is better at giving you tools to mitigate that than any other FE game

Edited by Shrimpy -Limited Edition-