Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

2 hours ago, Acacia Sgt said:

Smh, Thief being banned for Generation X.

Exactly, we can't have actually fun, thats simply not allowed!

2 hours ago, Armagon said:

Some still do...

Oh, right. Lol

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Eh, I'd say it's not that these complaints became less common, but rather that, with the mountain of F2U portraits that's available now, almost nobody tries to make their own portraits. They just grab some from the pile and use those, and then nobody complains. I've seen some hate at the few hacks that do try to make their own portraits these days, though. I got some too, though it wasn't as much as it wasn't anywhere near this unpleasant, thank goodness

From what I remember, if anything wasnt on the same level as Dream of Five's quality, it was considered trash.

• Replies 179.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

7 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

For fuck's sake, Japan. Seriously?

Rubenio, the sun rises in the east and sets in the west, bears shit in the woods, water is wet, the sky is blue and Japan is Japanese. These are the immutable truths of life.

Edited by Sidereal Wraith

Rubenio discovers that anime games from Japan are horny. In other news scientists predict that the sun will rise tomorrow morning. More shocking revelations at 6!

giphy.gif

"...When two Followers love each other very much, they might find an egg."

How long until The Pokemon Company sues?

...English developer BTW. No blamey 🇯🇵 or 🇺🇸.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

2 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

giphy.gif

"...When two Followers love each other very much, they might find an egg."

See, Interdimensional Observer gets it.

Granted my parents found me in a cabbage patch instead of getting a delivery from the stork.

Okay?

So now the game forced me to enter an inn following a blatantly suspicious man, drink his blatantly suspicious tea and get Kaga'd... And then nothing happened? The guy's boss came in, recognized the rebel leader in my entourage, yelled at the Kagaman for being an idiot and then made him wake us up and give back what he stole. And now we're just on our merry way.

That whole sequence accomplished absolutely nothing.

And all of a sudden a character I've known for like, 15 minutes (also the closest thing to a cool character the game's thrown at me so far) is dead. She was with me, then when we returned to her base and found it under attack, she ran ahead and got killed. I think she was trying to protect a kid that was there for... some reason? The game's dialogue is so bad sometimes I even have trouble understanding what it's trying to tell me.

Anyway, I've been playing this game for... three and a half hours of recorded gametime now, roughly two hours in actuality, and so far I've played the entire game with emulator speed-up on. You know how people described Suikoden as easy and this worried me? It's not easy. It's not difficult either. It's nothing. I press the "free will" button over and over and then enemies die. Closest thing to strategy I've ever used was picking a super attack instead to vaporize a guy in a """""boss""""" fight.

Eh. I don't know what I expected, honestly.

22 minutes ago, Sidereal Wraith said:

Rubenio, the sun rises in the east and sets in the west, bears shit in the woods, water is wet, the sky is blue and Japan is Japanese. These are the immutable truths of life.

Fair enough.

Alright, something is finally happening.
Not that it's been a lot of strips since the final dungeon was entered, but with Order of the Stick's current update speed, it's most certainly been a while.
https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1295.html

Easy to see why the author had the casters spend Force Cage and Resist Energy previously. They would most certainly make things easier.

8 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

cgytoBE.jpg

She always seems so much angrier when it comes to the succs.

I maintain my theory that she's extra frustrated with them because she feels their tricks working on her.

12 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Remember to always listen to Benedict. He won't lead you astray. Ever.

I did notice it’s like Final Fantasy Tactics with spells and how they land in a cross. You’ll hit your own guys if you aint careful. He coulda told me that Lol

19 hours ago, Lightcosmo said:

Having just played it about 6 times in a row (all on hard difficulty) I can safely say that the game can really stand on its own two feet! Difficulty can be surprising for newer players at times, but nothing too unmanageable.

It’s definitely a pretty game so far. That much at least has impressed me with the first 2 chapters

Just now, Capt. Fargus said:

I did notice it’s like Final Fantasy Tactics with spells and how they land in a cross. You’ll hit your own guys if you aint careful. He coulda told me that Lol

Eh? Actually, I'm pretty sure that's not how it works in Triangle Strategy. What does harm your allies is if tiles on the map are set on fire by your spell, but I'm pretty sure your spells cannot hit allies.

5 hours ago, Sidereal Wraith said:

...And Avernus sucks. 

Damn green demons 🤬

1 minute ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Eh? Actually, I'm pretty sure that's not how it works in Triangle Strategy. What does harm your allies is if tiles on the map are set on fire by your spell, but I'm pretty sure your spells cannot hit allies.

Well, theoretically if I’m right you can also wind up accidentally healing enemies with your heal spells

Like a dummy I found that one out the hard way in FFT too 

14 minutes ago, Capt. Fargus said:

Well, theoretically if I’m right you can also wind up accidentally healing enemies with your heal spells

Haha, well, I really think it's not how it works in TS. Do try it and let me know, though!

On 1/7/2024 at 7:12 AM, Saint Rubenio said:

Forging in Fates suffers from the same issue that plagues every My Castle mechanic - it relies of Fates's craptastic material system, where the game requires using every material type for stuff, but you're only given a reliable way to get two of the material types on any given run. Want to get the rest? Go grind the arena for ages.

It's profoundly stupid and there's a reason everyone just plays with the material cheat lol

Really they expected you to use the online features to pick up a few foreign resources when you needed them, and the system works just fine if you are able to use those mechanics.

On 1/7/2024 at 7:33 AM, Armagon said:

Is it from the same era as "Ziguldo"?

At least the translation I was drawing on didn't translate Sigurd that way. It was still in the era where Erin was Fury, Midir was Midale, Quan was Cuan, Seliph was Celice, Ced was Sety, the Forseti was Holsety, the Yewfelle was still the Ichival, Ares was Aless, etc.

I could keep going, as I still have the old rom with that nearly complete translation patch attached to it, but those are some notable differences.

9 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

. I'm told Suikoden is pretty good, though, so let's give that a shot.

Seeking out the 108 stars of destiny I see. It is a good enough suggestion, as the series tends to blend genres a little, with almost base building feel to some of the recruitments, and sections with tactic game mechanics to them. Although my main knowledge of the series is from Suikoden 2.

9 hours ago, Armagon said:

ef4.jpg

I have seen the first described similarly enough to the description below the second image by enough capital G gamers, that I don't think it is that sharp of difference.

8 hours ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Anyway, I feel like what lets these beloved JRPG classics down a lot of the time is the translation. I found a row of gravestones and each one had a different bit of text. This kind of thing is always cool attention to detail... but the text was so desertically dry that I couldn't even be bothered to read them all lol. The game then tried to do a funny scene, but again, the script is as dry as month-old piece of bread so it fell flat completely.

A surprisingly fitting problem to have considering the previous discussion about localization. Too many old translations like that were satisfied with mere direct translations, unwilling to make the changes needed to spice up the script, or successfully capture the feel of comedy. Don't get me wrong, some put in the effort.

3 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

At least the translation I was drawing on didn't translate Sigurd that way. It was still in the era where Erin was Fury, Midir was Midale, Quan was Cuan, Seliph was Celice, Ced was Sety, the Forseti was Holsety, the Yewfelle was still the Ichival, Ares was Aless, etc.

I know I should've cited @Armagon to explain it, but I forgot to.😅

"Zigludo" can be found here.:

Auf3fhM.pngQZK4z5D.pngyU83HqB.pngbQBkrDo.png

Nintendo Power, August 1996 issue (FE4 released in May '96), apparently. This was years before I became a subscriber (I wasn't even 3 at the point this was published), so I never saw it myself.

Why NP, my childhood reading companion, did this? I do not know.

3 hours ago, Capt. Fargus said:

Rafa/Malak suicide attacks with their skills ia funny, they kill themselves, get back up too cast again, then just refall to the floor.

They can make a movie but not a third game...

9 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

It was still in the era where Erin was Fury, Midir was Midale, Quan was Cuan, Seliph was Celice, Ced was Sety, the Forseti was Holsety, the Yewfelle was still the Ichival, Ares was Aless, etc.

What i like about early FE fan-translations is that a lot of the names are literally translated. Like there's the whole thing with the R and the L in Japanese, that's how some translations had Arvis as "Alvis" of course but then you get "Aless", "Nabarl" (which EU actually uses). Like, some of these names were not meant to be spelled in English.

11 minutes ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

I have seen the first described similarly enough to the description below the second image by enough capital G gamers, that I don't think it is that sharp of difference.

The point is the double standard. There's always been a tinge of xenophobia whenever western gaming journos wrote about Japanese games, from something as little as "oh those silly Japanese (derogatory)" to "Japan cannot make good games anymore". 

Opera_Snapshot_2024-01-08_211123_archive

Jason Scherier does have a genuine reporting reputation so it's not just some guy talking shit but this is still an example. Of course, that was 2013, that was then and hopefully he's done better. But it's not the only example

uu2l4crvqv7c1.jpeg

Opera_Snapshot_2024-01-08_211503_kotaku.

That's from 2009.

When BG3 came out last year

360.png?format=webp&quality=lossless&wid

Sure Capital G gamers will make similar comments towards Western games but when it comes to journalists and people in the industry, it's always "Japan bad, West good".

23 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

yU83HqB.png

Fire Emblem: The Descent of what?

Weird that they did this when the audience of these magezines did not have access to the games at all. Same with the Fire Emblem OVA

latest.png?ex=65af2493&is=659caf93&hm=0d

"Based on the hit video game" my guy, the average American gamer in the 90s did not know what the hell a Fire Emblem was.

46 minutes ago, Armagon said:
Fire Emblem: The Descent of what?

This is how you can tell it's from ye olden days before 9/11.

---

Oh, Ruben playing Suikoden? I bet if I had suggested it to him, he'd have dropped it by now.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Thracia fans get to eat once for the whole year.

Reinhardt's definitly being recruitable in the Thracia remake lol. Like, it's obvious but it's so funny to see this one-off guy from the worst selling game in the series get shilled so much.

15 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Thracia fans get to eat once for the whole year.

At least we scored big.

Still, almost a Dandelions banner...

Rogue One Verge Of Greatness GIF - Rogue One Verge Of Greatness - Discover  & Share GIFs

Much as I love that Safy is finally in, she could've been saved for a Tahra banner or something. At least with Linoan. Then again, the alternative is putting Trude, so... they know where the money is at.

15 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Reinhardt's definitly being recruitable in the Thracia remake lol. Like, it's obvious but it's so funny to see this one-off guy from the worst selling game in the series get shilled so much.

I wonder. Will this become a trend with remakes. Granted, we only have Michalis so far, but...

Edited by Acacia Sgt