Serenes Forest's Teehee Thread

MisterIceTeaPeach

2 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

yeah...

I don't have the images needed atm lol

The good news is that you are guaranteed one new image pulse each time you complete a stage. So just look up which stages show up for the one you need.

BTW, cause I don't think you've unlocked it yet cause it's kinda hidden but beat any of the main stages with the GV Image (the one that let's you start as him) and playing through the whole stage without switching to Kirin once. Will unlock D-Nizer mode in which the whole objective is to go through all the stages without losing your meter as GV.

4 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

And the joke ending...80% of the pulses why

The secret ending of GV2 also required 80% of challenges completed lmao.

• Replies 179.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Codename Shrimp

• Acacia Sgt

• Saint Rubenio

• Armagon

Just now, Armagon said:

BTW, cause I don't think you've unlocked it yet cause it's kinda hidden but beat any of the main stages with the GV Image (the one that let's you start as him) and playing through the whole stage without switching to Kirin once. Will unlock D-Nizer mode in which the whole objective is to go through all the stages without losing your meter as GV

speedrun combo mode basically?

and yeah i heard i need to beat 3 Stages as GV to unlock that

but first, ATEMS mode

4 hours ago, Sidereal Wraith said:

Two words for you Captain, cast repel.

That works. Cheap but effective, especially with the chaos armor Lol

Now, when they show up in Soul Reaver 2? That’s a whole other story 😳

6 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

speedrun combo mode basically?

Essentially, though there is an actual speed run mode too.

Between that, D-Nizer, and Kirin XX modes, there's quite a bit to play with, not to mention ATEMS.

5 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

pdZGpft.png

The real GV3?

20240109_175517.jpg?ex=65b043e2&is=659dc

After an unpleasant return to our hometown, the game proceeded to... make me backtrack through the entire first dungeon, with a couple of sky-high level characters tagging along just in case things are getting a bit too difficult. Fortunately, I'm not playing this in 1998, so I just overclocked my Nintendo Sony PC and ran right through. Then I got back to the base and this kid asked me if I wanted to write a fortress diary before sleeping, which I did.

Think that's enough. It's decidedly better than 1, but goodness the translation.

11 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

somone tell him

Modern localization still have all that garbage all the time - you only see the good stuff because you don't play many jp games.

And i am not talking about the whole thing we talked about before

We're not talking about a little no-budget/freeware indie game whose only option is machine translation. Heck, even for that you have some options nowadays, Kaga got his zero budget freeware games localized and the scripts are a work of art. But that's not what we're talking about here. We're talking about a AAA production made by a Konami in its prime, presumably localized by human beings because machine translation didn't exist back then.

Like, just the existence of some better localizations alone means it's gotten better. This shit was all we got in that era.

Just now, Saint Rubenio said:

We're not talking about a little no-budget/freeware indie game whose only option is machine translation

Neither am i

Look at Ys 8 translation a few years back - a complete and utter catastrophe - and a buggy mess nonetheless (the translated version)

Alot of VN - even high budget ones like those by the makers of S;G - still need fanpatches to fix them

Last year's CS5 also supposedly had alot of problems - can't confirm that, but i'd trust @Lightcosmo

etc.

There's still alot of trash translations. ALOOOOOOOOT.

Just now, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

Neither am i

Look at Ys 8 translation a few years back - a complete and utter catastrophe - and a buggy mess nonetheless (the translated version)

[...]

Last year's CS5 also supposedly had alot of problems - can't confirm that, but i'd trust @Lightcosmo

Falcom being bad at things? Say it isn't so

Alot of VN - even high budget ones like those by the makers of S;G - still need fanpatches to fix them

I said videogames, Shrimpy

lolololol

etc.

I haven't heard of that game, is it good?

There's still alot of trash translations. ALOOOOOOOOT.

Well, I'll take your word for it. I'll say, I play a decent bit of JP games (honestly more than western games if I really stop to think about it) but you probably know better than I do still. You're the Lieutenant Japan Expert when 06 isn't around, after all.

3 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Falcom being bad at things? Say it isn't so

funny enough, this a "new" problem, we didn't have that many problems before they switched localization companies

If you don't want Falcom

@Armagon can tell you about the initial GV1 Disasteration. Just as an example.

Or Berseria - had alot of typos and mismatch between text and (english) dub

Etc.

I haven't heard of that game, is it good?

It has alot of old people who speak a strange language thought dead

You're the Lieutenant Japan Expert when 06 isn't around, after all.

eh

am i?

Edited by Shrimpy -Limited Edition-

17 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

funny enough, this a "new" problem, we didn't have that many problems before they switched localization companies

If you don't want Falcom

@Armagon can tell you about the initial GV1 Disasteration. Just as an example.

Or Berseria - had alot of typos and mismatch between text and (english) dub

Etc.

Fine. Like I said, I'll take your word for it.

...I have to wonder how the Suikoden remake's going to look. People theorized they were waiting for Eiyuden's release date so they could try to steal its thunder, but that ship's long since sailed and there's still nothing, so... Who knows. Maybe they're busy localizing the game lolololol. It's okay, if the script is actually readable, they can consider everything forgived as far as I'm concerned. Oboy

Speaking of Eiyuden, I'll say, even if I end up not enjoying Suikoden 2, this hasn't quite discouraged me from Eiyuden. I mean, I won't buy it day 1 without some serious reassurance from pre-release players - and I sincerely doubt I'll get that because the backers are all Suikoden fans who don't consider these issues, well, issues - but that was always the case. It might still be a Bloodstained situation where the modernized take on the beloved classic ends up being more enjoyable to my youthful, unnostalgic sensibilities.

The promise of a hard mode already is a pretty great sign, considering these games so far have been "autopilot" and "minimal brain power required for boss 1, otherwise autopilot."

It has alot of old people who speak a strange language thought dead

Ah. TearRing Saga.

eh

am i?

Yeah! You know all the Japanese words I don't. Like... peko, and yamete, and the other one.

Edited by Saint Rubenio

13 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

It might still be a Bloodstained situation where the modernized take on the beloved classic ends up being more enjoyable to my youthful, unnostalgic sensibilities.

I feel that

Idk

Alot of the older classics i end up...liking yes, but not understanding the hype?

That includes this very series it's forum we are in

14 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Like... peko, and yamete, and the other one.

That makes me an expert in atleast 7 languages

feels good!

Yesterday I learned that I have two copies of Super Smash Bros. Melee, don't ask me how that happened.

21 hours ago, Armagon said:

They can make a movie but not a third game...

I thought this was going to be about Half-Life or Portal before the tweet loaded.

20 hours ago, Armagon said:

I ain't listing anyone past that.

Only two of these games have any chance of being rereleased within the next decade but besides Guinivere being promoted to playable character status, Lilina would likely become a "main character" so Roy has somebody to talk to aside from Merlinus. Maybe Arion can be playable if they have enough room on the menus for him this time.

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Goodness me, they really didn't proofread anything. Not even the main story scenes. Nobody playtested this? Was playtesting just not a thing back in 1998?

Never play Final Fantasy VII

maxresdefault.jpg

I mean, they misspelled her name as "Aeris" and everything. Though the glaring typos are fixed in the modern releases of the game.

49 minutes ago, Saint Rubenio said:

We're talking about a AAA production made by a Konami in its prime, presumably localized by human beings because machine translation didn't exist back then.

Like, just the existence of some better localizations alone means it's gotten better. This shit was all we got in that era.

Ngl, i think part of this is also just dependent on the times and us comparing it to modern standards.

It's interesting that Sunny's drawing of Calder back in 1257 shows him being confronted by Sereni and Kraagor.
https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1257.html

Kraagor would have been dead by the time Sereni started building her dungeon and looking for monsters to put in there. If he and Calder actually meet, then that would suggest that Calder was a recurring foe of the Order of the Scribble.
Presumably Calder will shine some light on what happened with the Scribblers back then. Even if he is rather trigger happy.

20 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

I feel that

Idk

Alot of the older classics i end up...liking yes, but not understanding the hype?

That includes this very series it's forum we are in

Oftentimes the love for The Classics comes with a layer of sugarcoating and a nice pair of fashionable rose-tinted glasses. Not to say the classics are devoid of merit, but well, not all are easy to return to with a modern outlook, and nostalgia tends to lead one to overpraise.

Still hopeful Eiyuden will be a better Suikoden, made by its creators after years of experience and advancement of the medium and unshackled by the needs of corporate higher ups at Konami. But we'll see.

18 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

Yesterday I learned that I have two copies of Super Smash Bros. Melee, don't ask me how that happened.

Lucky you, that's some serious money right?

18 minutes ago, Lightchao42 said:

Never play Final Fantasy VII

maxresdefault.jpg

I mean, they misspelled her name as "Aeris" and everything. Though the glaring typos are fixed in the modern releases of the game.

Still remember the story my pal told me about how... I think it was precisely this game that told him "your party is upstairs" but translated party as in, social gathering. He was sorely disappointed.

7 minutes ago, Armagon said:

Ngl, i think part of this is also just dependent on the times and us comparing it to modern standards.

True, hence why I keep thanking the holy spirits that we've improved, even if only somewhat.

1 hour ago, Saint Rubenio said:

Goodness me, they really didn't proofread anything. Not even the main story scenes. Nobody playtested this? Was playtesting just not a thing back in 1998?

From what I've heard, back in the 16-bit era, video games were generally considered "toys" in the West. I think Ted Woolsey, the translator of the SNES version of Final Fantasy VI (called FFIII in the USA at the time b/c only I and IV had been released abroad), said this. "Toys just need to be fun, who cares about "plot"?" That's what the corpos in the West trying to sell Japanese games were thinking. This meant translation wasn't taken too seriously. -Not like there would've been a longstanding Japanese-to-English pool of video game translators at the time.

And in the case of the 8- and 16-bit eras, not so sure about the 64-bit, memory limitations were real. Written English fits less information into each character than written Japanese, which prevented full translations of wordy games. Woolsey was told at times to shave lines down to make the translation fit into FFIII's cartridge.

Translators could also be understaffed and unable to keep up with Japan's prolific text-heavy game output. Persona 2: Innocent Sin (PS1, 1999) had a pretty good gay couple, and 1930s German Dictator, two -unrelated- things could've been controversial in the West. -But that wasn't why the West had to wait until the 2011 PSP port to get P2IS. Atlus's translators didn't have the time and resources to consider translating Innocent Sin, they jumped right to the sequel Persona 2: Eternal Punishment (2000), which thankfully is a functional story without needing to play Innocent Sin.

Going back to the "video games are toys" point for a moment. Another instance of silly disregard for their artistic merits was the very first Persona, renamed "Revelations: Persona" in the West. They changed the Japanese town into an American town, replaced Japanese food with burgers, yen with dollars, Japanese names like Maki and Kei became Mary and Nate, they even turned one protagonist from white to black. I understand localizing things, and perhaps for little children this would be okay, but this is rightfully a laughably absurd example! (Even if the translators were merely operating on the wrongful assumptions of the time, that Japanese culture was too foreign for the West and needed Americanization.) -And for all those changes, they also cut out the entire second (lesser) storyline for no good reason, other than perhaps resource limitations.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

5 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

They changed the Japanese town into an American town, replaced Japanese food with burgers, yen with dollars, Japanese names like Maki and Kei became Mary and Nate, they even turned one protagonist from white to black. I understand localizing things, and perhaps for little children this would be okay, but this is rightfully a laughably absurd example!

And this was all quite too common back then - especially in anime - look at 4kids lmao

1 hour ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

This is underselling it. They literally had the whole endgame sequence using JP sequence rather than English. 

Way too many spelling errors or grammar errors/consistent errors. Dont ever rely on the text to tell you what a craft does, since its most often just wrong info.

Edited by Lightcosmo

21 minutes ago, Shrimpy -Limited Edition- said:

And this was all quite too common back then - especially in anime - look at 4kids lmao

And I've vaguely heard of the mess that is the original Macross, getting stuck with a localizer who changed the name and merged it with several unrelated anime. -And possibly killed the first chance for mainline Super Robot Wars in the West decades before it actually happened. (And HarmonyGold still presents Macross issues to this day.)

Also of "Saban Moon", a live-action version of the classic magical girl anime. I think they found footage of that scrapped idea last year or the year before that. And the memey Pokemon "donuts" example, and trimming an episode here or there out of both Usagi's and Satoshi's early journeys, +the whole yuri coverup in 'Moon.

15 minutes ago, Armagon said:

If you want to see the comparison, check Wikipedia for a side-by-side pic. I ain't posting that cursed image here.

Maybe it wasn't intentional, but what doesn't help either, is that said hero is a mild bit of a hoodlum from what little I played of the properly-retranslated PSP port.

I'd say, Ruben, you should've just waited for the Suikoden remasters. They're only like, what, just a couple weeks/months away now?

Edited by Acacia Sgt

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

If you want to see the comparison, check Wikipedia for a side-by-side pic. I ain't posting that cursed image here.

I'm trying to understand the thought process. "Christian imagery might be too offensive, let's do literal blackface instead".

5 minutes ago, Acacia Sgt said:

I'd say, Ruben, you should've just waited for the Suikoden remasters. They're only like, what, just a couple weeks/months away now?

He was not going to pay for those.

Well, I don't know you, but I will pay and play them. In the vague hope we can get the rest to follow suit. I'm still peeved V never got put in the PSN... Apparently the guy who petitioned them to be put on the PSN left Konami before he could get to V.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Fire_Emblem_4_-_Seisen_no_Keifu_J117.png

Just a quick annexation, nothing to worry about. Its the proper response to being invaded if you ask every civ player.

Fire_Emblem_4_-_Seisen_no_Keifu_J118.png

Wow all of that in what, five days?

Fire_Emblem_4_-_Seisen_no_Keifu_J119.png

Spot the good guy challenge.

Fire_Emblem_4_-_Seisen_no_Keifu_J121.png

That's called foreshadowing

Fire_Emblem_4_-_Seisen_no_Keifu_J122.pngFire_Emblem_4_-_Seisen_no_Keifu_J123.png

I...if you're the lords of this region aren't those your villages? And if so wouldn't it be in your best interest to not raid them specifically because they are supposedly the thing keeping your land afloat? This ain't the steppe, y'all need to work by feudal rules. If you want to be evil at least be efficient about it and raise high taxes and levies on the peasantry.

Fire_Emblem_4_-_Seisen_no_Keifu_J124.png

Welcome to Fire Emblem Genealogy of the can't fucking trade items so what am I supposed to do with this.

Fire_Emblem_4_-_Seisen_no_Keifu_J125.pngFire_Emblem_4_-_Seisen_no_Keifu_J127.png

5 times in a row.

wtf is with the archers in this game.

Fire_Emblem_4_-_Seisen_no_Keifu_J128.pngFire_Emblem_4_-_Seisen_no_Keifu_J129.png

The stress caused by the limited ability I have to get to the raiders up north is killing me.